Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them (/showthread.php?tid=7954)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Edgar - 08-13-2014

It's a fact of life: Everyone in Eorzea seems to be toting a sword, or a spear or a bow, etc. No one is empty handed, and the personal armories run the gamut from slightly prepared to armed to the teeth. 
But exactly why do we carry around these weapons all the time? How did our characters come across them? Are they of sentimental value? Are they unique specimens not unlike Relics?

That's the topic for today. Does your character carry an intensely personal weapon/artifact, and why so?

Let me start things off with Edgar's own equipment.

Edgar possesses but one weapon and one artifact which he inherited when his parents were brutally murdered. 

The weapon is his Father's spear, Drakkeneater, which owes the majority of its construction to draconic anatomy. The shaft of the spear itself has a tube running through it, and inside that tube is a hefty collection of Dragon bone marrow. This is because Edgar's father believed by imbuing his weapon with the humors of a Dragon, it would produce an aura that would benefit his agility and Jumping prowess against the beasts. 

The artifact he inherited is none other than The Precautioned Pocketbook of Wicked Portend Regarding Manners of Voidly Manifest, a wicked pocketbook containing an intense array of information on the Void, and known for having wrought great misfortune during its creation. For some reason, nothing bad has happened to its current owner...Yet.

Both are of great sentimental value to him, and he utilizes them when appropriate.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Coatleque - 08-13-2014

Coatleque's sword was a commissioned winglet she had made after she officially swore her oath to the Sultana. It is a bastard sword with a fairly average looking blade that shines with a slight blue tinge. The steel has been aetherically enhanced with ice crystals to harden it and gives it a perpetually cold touch (not as cold as ice, but definitely cooler than normal).

She calls it Halone's Ire.

It's not a 'magic' sword, mind you. The enhancement only helps to keep the edge keen longer than simple steel. Otherwise it is truly a Paladin's weapon, with an ornate mahogany handle set with gold filigree and a hefty pommel for balance.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - CrookedTarot - 08-13-2014

"Hi, Tarot here--you want to know about my gear? Well my spear is less a spear and more of a way to get around. It actually is a nifty little bit of technology I got from Gar--ah, from some tinkerers. Basically, it starts off as a pole, highly flexible and amazingly perfect for vaulting over gaps or keeping my balance on a narrow walkway, but, should the need arise--" He twisted the haft with a flick of his wrist, "The tip opens up into a lovely lance head! Neat, no? Pain in the ass to get back in though..."

"As for artifacts--heh, well, let's just say that I am awash in artifacts since that's my trade! Nothing fancy though--ain't got a Garuda-buster on my person. But a lot of little things to help me get around. Ankle bands that keep my bare feet protected from cuts, scrapes and stings while running around, a few baubles here and there to help with my treasure hunting and late night acquisitions around a town or settlement, things like that."

(08-13-2014, 01:24 PM)Edgar Wrote: The artifact he inherited is none other than The Precautioned Pocketbook of Wicked Portend Regarding Manners of Voidly Manifest, a wicked pocketbook containing an intense array of information on the Void, and known for having wrought great misfortune during its creation.

Both are of great sentimental value to him...

"I suppose that means that you'll just be a hard sell on handing over that book, huh? No matter--more than one way to skin a coeurl."

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - C'kayah Polaali - 08-13-2014

C'kayah owns an oversized Coeurl tribesman's hunting bow, an Ul'dahn gladiator's sword, as well as a Duskwight dagger.

The bow is very plain, and is made to look like the bow he bore when he first left his tribe and came to Ul'dah. It's larger, partially because he's no longer a boy and partially because he just likes it.

The sword was a gift from his old mate, Natalie. It's of very solid, workmanlike design.

The dagger is very ornate, a testament to some nameless Duskwight smith's skill.

Of the three, the only one he wears constantly is the dagger. Consequently, he occasionally loses it. His current dagger was purchased as part of a lot purchase from a Duskwight smith. It replaced a similar one from the same smith, which replaced a similar one from a different smith, which replaced one he stole when he was eighteen.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Melkire - 08-13-2014

Most of Osric's... tools... are either standard-issue Immortal Flames gear, or are otherwise run-of-the-mill knives, daggers, dirks, etc. that he acquires through legal and illegal means. He also owns a pair of brass knuckles for when he needs to beat someone down without fatally wounding them.

He does, however, possess two weapons of intense sentimental value.

The first is the rather ornate axe that his father left behind for him (model used for it is Eisentaenzer). It's not a tool he uses often, for a number of reasons. First: his father committed suicide, and he inevitably associates the axe with his father and thusly his father's cowardice. Second: Osric spent somewhere between six months/moons to a year/cycle as a marauder at sea, but that was hardly enough experience for him to become comfortable, let alone very adept, with the thing. In point of fact, he took up the axe recently for a time precisely because he isn't any good with it (if he'd gone with his knives instead, he might've gutted his friends).

The second is a distinctive knife with a wooden handle and a wickedly serrated edge. This blade has a rather long and personal history with Osric: it's instantly recognizable to those who knew him as Dirk Problemsolver, as the knife and that identity are inseparable. It was his signature weapon, calling card, etc. for a long time while he worked as a free agent. It's the ghastly momento he's entrusted to the keeping of the one person he loves most, to serve as a warning: this is Dirk's woman. You touch her, you die.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Lillith Cale - 08-13-2014

Lillith's weapons are fairly simple in both design and origin, even though her goals are anything but.

Her main, and really only, weapon is a large, yew bow. It is of Gridanian design and is actually the bow her father used to wield. Upon his retirement(he is still alive and well, living in bentbranch), he passed the bow to Lillith, explaining that it had seen him through his share of hard battles, and it was his hope it would do the same for her. So far, it has.

Other than that, she carries a hunter's knife, used for skinning, chopping, boning and generally doing anything her Bow can not. It's less a weapon and more a survival utility but it is visible on her person none the less.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Aya - 08-13-2014

Aya does not carry a weapon or any artifacts :-X

She owns a lance, kept hanging above her closet and hidden in her room in the Hourglass.  Her "artifacts", as they were, are nothing more than the jewelry she loves and treasures Smile

Oh, oh, right, she does have something of a stiletto, more an over-sized letter opener she carries on her person sometimes. The most dangerous thing on her, at most times, would be her heels. Something Ser Natalie McBeef learned the hard way!

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Nero - 08-13-2014

Nero's typical armament when travelling in a city is a simple pair of cobalt knuckledusters; they are particularly brutal in that they have several jutting, ridged protrusions that are not quite piercing spikes, but are still shaped in such a way to fracture bone. He had them made for him in Limsa Lominsa, upon his return from his thaumaturgy studies. Knives spill too much blood, axes and lances are too hard to conceal, swords require proper training to use effectively, especially in tight quarters, and he's never learned to use a bow.

For raids or pitched combat, a simple steel bardiche serves him quite handily. Function is more important than form, and thus it is devoid of any elaborate markings or decorations. Nero also favours the lance, as "having a longer pointy thing than your enemy's pointy thing increases your chances considerably." He does not carry any personal versions of these weapons, however, and will typically grab whatever is nearby.

For thaumaturgy, however, Nero carries an ornate silver scepter with an emerald embedded in it. The head of the scepter has some elaborate patterns carved into it and the emerald is of fairly obvious value, but otherwise it lacks any other significant features or adornments. There are no identifying marks of any guild or craftsman, suggesting that he fashioned the scepter himself.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Val - 08-13-2014

Val has a spear that he received while hired out by the IF and keeps it. They don't really realize that it was missing, what with them being mass produced and all.

For daggers, he uses whatever he can find. That's.. pretty much it =x nothing fancily made and nothing specially named. Just weapons.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - FreelanceWizard - 08-13-2014

Sure, L'yhta's quite proud of her collection of artifacts she's dug up from ancient tombs and ruins, and she likes to show off the reproductions she's had made of clothing from the Fifth Astral Era and earlier. She enjoys preening with magicked jewelry as much as the next vain adventurer, and she has a collection of heavily modified magitek she uses to make up for her physical weaknesses. However, these aren't her real treasures; they're just stuff. No, the equipment she treasures most is:
  • Her master's map -- One of the possessions he gave to her before his death, when she was just his apprentice, was a set of old maps of Eorzea on fine vellum, with lines of Aetheric flow mapped out along with markers of ruins, rumoured caches of Allagan rarities, and notes on past adventures. Passed on from master to apprentice for at least a century and stored in a simple ivory scroll case, it represents a connection to her past and carrying on her master's memory.
  • Her Book of Shadows -- This thick leather-bound journal with a spot for a reservoir pen and a small pouch of pigmented charcoals was a gift from one of her teachers during her apprenticeship. While the intent was for her to sketch the world around her, L'yhta isn't even a passable artist; instead, she uses it to take notes on topics ranging from metaphysics to shopping lists. It's essentially a record of her life from the time she arrived in Limsa Lominsa to the present day, and as her constant companion and confidante, she considers it of utmost importance.
L'yhta's not an especially private person, but she generally keeps both of these items hidden from practically everyone (including her best friends) and downplays their significance in the hopes that'd keep people from taking an untoward interest in them. She's absolutely terrified of them getting stolen or lost.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Warren Castille - 08-13-2014

I've been thinking over how to explain Warren's weapon and shield. The lore-friend in me hates that he's walking around with a Curtana, but the vain part of me thinks he looks damn good being all huge with a huge sword and huge shield and huge.

I've fluffed it on the fly before as only being made in the same image as Curtana but any real artificer would be able to tell they weren't the same, but that feels cheap to me! It's not a replica, it's not meant to be That Sword, it just looks neat and I want to keep it.

Someone give me a quest or something. Do my writing for me. Cactuar

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Eva - 08-13-2014

Eva's weapons, armour, and tools are quite ordinary.  She lost most of her worldly possessions with the Calamity and since that time hasn't placed a lot of value in 'things'.  The one exception to this would be a spear that is a bit too heavy for her to wield herself without being awkwardly cumbersome.  This weapon belonged to her father and adorns a wall in her room because she thinks it's beautiful - cast from an unknown crystalline material that resembles a blue glass and reflects light in a way similar to a prism.  While this was admittedly a nod to accomplishments from FFXI, for XIV the weapon has no name and apart from being something of a curio, serves no other purpose than as a decoration for her home and reminder of her father and his time spent as a dragoon knight of Ishgard.  She does have a staff (which she has regarded as a prayer staff and not anywhere as significant/relevent as the Thyrus we are given through the game's storyline). She also has a number of variously-designed polearms which are about as fascinating as anything else wrought of wood and metal.  One additional note - she always keeps a dagger in a sheath strapped to her thigh as well.  This is as plain a weapon as one can be and has needed to be replaced on at least one occasion.

Blynbhar's weapon on the other hand is much less mundane.  He has little regard for worldly possessions, but his great-axe is a thing he had forged after a figure whom he believes was Nymeia came to him in a dream and gave it to him as a gift.  He awoke and had the weapon crafted to those same specifications.  There is some artwork we had commissions of him wielding it (but I'm at work now and will post a link later if I remember).  He calls it 'Threadsplitter' and while it is just metal and wood forged by a smith based on this dream, he considers it to be something divine.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Verad - 08-13-2014

Verad's smile is weaponized. He carries it everywhere and openly displays it at every opportunity.

He says he has a bow, but it's not clear what it is, where it is, what it's made of, what arrows he uses, or how dangerous it is, or if he's referring to an artfully-folded piece of ribbon.

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Faye - 08-13-2014

[youtube]2ItKF3xyci8[/youtube]

RE: Your Character's Weapons/Artifacts and How They Acquired Them - Val - 08-13-2014

(08-13-2014, 04:13 PM)Faye Wrote: [youtube]2ItKF3xyci8[/youtube]

This is why I love the Hound.