Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hi, there! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi, there! (/showthread.php?tid=7939)

Hi, there! - Sebastian - 08-11-2014

Hello! I'm Sebastian and I have been playing this game on the Leviathan server since closed beta, however I became very curious about the RP community on Balmung. I used to RP years ago on forums and it was a lot of fun, but I have never roleplayed on a game before. I've been reading up on the guides on this site, which have been very helpful, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed and not sure how to get started! It looks like a lot of fun.

I already have some backstory and personality stuff figured out for my character, but I'm not sure if I should just jump in or what. I figured this would be a good place to find out!

I am a writer and I'm used to going into a lot of detail about my character's actions and thoughts, but I don't think that will work as well on a game, haha. I'm thinking of joining a Linkshell to help get started, but even then, there's a lot of choices and I don't know which one would be right for me.

Sorry I'm babbling a lot.

My character's name is Faolan Donne and I'm currently stuck in Ul'dah since this character is only level 5 lol
Anyway, I look forward to speaking with all of you and I hope getting to know this community will be easier here!

RE: Hi, there! - Faye - 08-12-2014

Hello there, Sebastian, and welcome to Balmung and the RPC! It's good to have you here! It's your choice, but there's really nothing to go wrong with jumping right into the RP scene. Smile As for linkshells, I recommend browsing through the linkshell hall and making a little list of ones that interest you, even if you have to go by process of elimination. I'm always glad to make new friends and RP partners so if you see me around in-game, feel free to approach or send a /tell!

RE: Hi, there! - Zhavi - 08-13-2014

I saw that you posted in the mentorship thread, so if you still are in need of someone to help show you the ropes, just let me know and I'll send you a pm. Smile It's pretty easy once you get used to it; the community is pretty friendly so you should feel free to either jump in or set something up with any rpers you see and like. If you're leery of flat out rping with other people you see rping, just send them a tell to make sure you're free to jump in.

As for going into detail, you sorta do a bit less then in a detailed forum post, but you don't need as much detail because there is a physical representation in front of you. Pretty much I'll describe actions and expressions I can't replicate in game, but will only mention something in text if it's especially significant but I can do it in game. . . .people don't tend to mind if you have long, multi-post posts (there is a character limit), so don't be afraid to go long as you adapt to mmo rp.

If you want to practice with someone in game, I'd be more than happy to arrange a meetup with you.

Welcome to the RPC! Happy writing. Smile

RE: Hi, there! - Aya - 08-13-2014

Welcome, Welcome!

When I am RPing I am almost always in or near the Quick Sand (since it is Workplace, home, and sometimes fun place for Aya Smile ).  It would be nice to get to see you, and welcome Faolan for a bite to eat!

There's an event tonight, Gus Pumpkinweed's Spooky Thirteenth, in Thanalan easily within reach of a low level character in Ul'dah!  Its mostly silliness and fun, but it might be something to check out tonight :-]

Welcome again to Balmung!

RE: Hi, there! - Sebastian - 08-15-2014

(08-13-2014, 12:01 PM)Zhavi Wrote: I saw that you posted in the mentorship thread, so if you still are in need of someone to help show you the ropes, just let me know and I'll send you a pm.  Smile  It's pretty easy once you get used to it; the community is pretty friendly so you should feel free to either jump in or set something up with any rpers you see and like.  If you're leery of flat out rping with other people you see rping, just send them a tell to make sure you're free to jump in.

As for going into detail, you sorta do a bit less then in a detailed forum post, but you don't need as much detail because there is a physical representation in front of you.  Pretty much I'll describe actions and expressions I can't replicate in game, but will only mention something in text if it's especially significant but I can do it in game.  . . .people don't tend to mind if you have long, multi-post posts (there is a character limit), so don't be afraid to go long as you adapt to mmo rp.

If you want to practice with someone in game, I'd be more than happy to arrange a meetup with you.

Welcome to the RPC!  Happy writing.  Smile

Sorry it took so long to reply to these. Thank you for the advice! I might have to take you up on practicing. My character can now travel between cities, so he's not just stuck in Ul'dah anymore!
Yeah, I always felt nervous about jumping in when I saw other people RPing because I wasn't sure if it would be okay or not. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. People do seem friendly from what I've seen so far.

(08-13-2014, 12:06 PM)Aya Wrote: Welcome, Welcome!

When I am RPing I am almost always in or near the Quick Sand (since it is Workplace, home, and sometimes fun place for Aya Smile ).  It would be nice to get to see you, and welcome Faolan for a bite to eat!

There's an event tonight, Gus Pumpkinweed's Spooky Thirteenth, in Thanalan easily within reach of a low level character in Ul'dah!  Its mostly silliness and fun, but it might be something to check out tonight :-]

Welcome again to Balmung!

Thank you! I did go to Gus's event, but I was a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of people and didn't know what to do...BUT I did stay and watch, so I was able to get a feel for what RPing is like. Since I'm really shy, it's hard for me to just walk up to people and start something (despite my character being outgoing. oops LOL), but I'm getting just a little bit better.