Hydaelyn Role-Players
Suggestion for Site/Forums - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Suggestion for Site/Forums (/showthread.php?tid=7816)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 01-26-2016

Can a warning (similar to the one with having too many images in one post) be used for the character/text limits?

I've noticed that it will just submit the post and your text is now lost.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 02-02-2016

(06-11-2015, 11:27 AM)Kage Wrote: I would like to make a suggestion going forward about expansions and patch information being shared by everyone.

I may personally be the only one bothered but I abhor the threads that pop up when teeny tiny new info just got posted. And usually it is just  a post with a link and done type of threads. Or that a wave of information was released over one weekend and like 4 threads were made all about one small topic in the span of just a couple of hours each having generated maybe 30 replies to all the threads cumulatively in that small time.

I want to suggest that things like megathreads be made for that. For the example of heavensward we could have had sales and misc. Class and Jobs. Dungeons and gameplay. Lore.

Boosting

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 02-10-2016

AM I THE ONLY ONE BOTHERED BY THE OFF-SYNC THE FORUM TIME HAS?

EDIT: IT IS OFF BY 10 MINUTES

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Faye - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 07:37 PM)Kage Wrote: AM I THE ONLY ONE BOTHERED BY THE OFF-SYNC THE FORUM TIME HAS?

This has been bothering me for a while now, I've been meaning to say something but I always forget before I get around to it. I thought this was just me. It drives me crazy.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 07:40 PM)Faye Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 07:37 PM)Kage Wrote: AM I THE ONLY ONE BOTHERED BY THE OFF-SYNC THE FORUM TIME HAS?

This has been bothering me for a while now, I've been meaning to say something but I always forget before I get around to it. I thought this was just me. It drives me crazy.
It's probably pulling the timestamps from the underlying VM, likely needs a restart or a new timeserver.

Maybe PM Freelance?

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 07:42 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 07:40 PM)Faye Wrote:

It's probably pulling the timestamps from the underlying VM, likely needs a restart or a new timeserver.

Maybe PM Freelance?

The server's off-sync.

But to fix that, we'd have to set the date on the server properly and also take the forums offline. The underlying forum software organizes posts by date. (you'll see this most commonly when threads are merged).

So I guess if we have a maintenance period, it could be fixed. ...that will not retroactively fix all the posts though. It'll just make the new ones afterwards display correctly.

PLEASE FIX KAGE'S OCD.

TAKE FORUMS OFFLINE FOR 10 MINUTES IN OFF HOURS.

Big Grin?

Also, Admin account make a new Suggestion thread?

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Faye - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 07:53 PM)Kage Wrote: PLEASE FIX KAGE'S OCD.

TAKE FORUMS OFFLINE FOR 10 MINUTES IN OFF HOURS.

Big Grin?

(02-10-2016, 08:38 PM)Kage Wrote: Also, Admin account make a new Suggestion thread?

I'd like to echo both of these plz.

My recommendation for time is probably somewhere 2am to 4am Weekday.

I'd say weekend too but most likely someone is not going to be awake then. Weekends are slow unless something controversial comes up >.>;

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-11-2016

I bring words of the Wizard!

Quote:You can't do anything with the clock, actually. It's synced by EC2 to whatever the EC2 host wants it to be. If you try to sync with ntp, it'll get undone by the EC2 integration services. I first discovered this when trying to run an ntp server on a personal machine.

Non-tech version: The clock will just be set back to how it is now, because of how the server's set up and controlled.

So....RPC will not be going under maintenance for timing.

--

In other news, I've found some plugins that expand our alerts system! (they don't fix the friends/ignore list issue though).

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 02-11-2016

Well that's a bummer. Any idea for the offsync on that end?

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 12:59 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I bring words of the Wizard!

Quote:You can't do anything with the clock, actually. It's synced by EC2 to whatever the EC2 host wants it to be. If you try to sync with ntp, it'll get undone by the EC2 integration services. I first discovered this when trying to run an ntp server on a personal machine.

Non-tech version: The clock will just be set back to how it is now, because of how the server's set up and controlled.

So....RPC will not be going under maintenance for timing.

--

In other news, I've found some plugins that expand our alerts system! (they don't fix the friends/ignore list issue though).
I work a lot with EC2 and I've never had this issue. There are a lot of things Amazon says you shouldn't do (like set static IPs inside an instance) that in reality work fine.

Have is actually been tried?

Edit: Looks like it has, but my point stands, It's probably doable somehow.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-11-2016

Found it, 

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/set-time.html

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - FreelanceWizard - 02-11-2016

You've never had a time issue on EC2? I constantly have time issues in EC2 across a wide variety of instances. Their instance time synchronization is terribad. I run a few DCs up there and I've had to adjust the w32tm time sync rate to keep them in sync with the rest of our domain (which syncs from the ntp pool servers).

Anyway, I took another look this morning and applied similar techniques to ntpd on our instance, and we'll see if that can force the clock to where it needs to be.