Hydaelyn Role-Players
To what degree do you limit magic? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: To what degree do you limit magic? (/showthread.php?tid=7647)

To what degree do you limit magic? - 岡本 秀樹 - 07-13-2014

In a world of magic and fantasy there seems to be unlimited possibilities in the uses of its foreign undefined laws. Most of the time it is extremely vague as to how magic works in a fantasy world other than that fact that it simply... works? Playing in a lawless reality can be fun, but it can also become a bit ridiculous as laws ARE there for a reason. That is to keep order and keep chaos to a minimal. But being someone who always toyed with magic in role play, I of course never really knew what I was talking about because I have never really payed to much attention to the lore of magic classes. Although I would very much like to. I simply always tried to come up with my own logical explanation that SOUNDS like it could work. I ask the question of "To what degree do you limit magic" to get the community to really think. Because while I have hardly researched I also have not seen a guide on magic right in my face, and you would think it would be rather relevant in a world dependent on magic. The magical substance is literally the life force of Hydaelyn and without it nothing can possibly live. Or might not even exist? Unsure.

Now the world is obviously not chaotically filled with black mage's destroying whole towns with the snap of their fingers and training of magic is obviously not easy. But I would like to as a community acollect all the information on Aether and magic and formulate it into a guide with community bound laws and guidelines to help guide players when it comes to magic characters and their capabilities using the lore as much as is there and logical reasoning for the rest. At least until more of aetherical knowledge and lore is released from SE. I will try to contribute what I know, although take my knowledge as a grain of salt because as stated before, no research and I will probably butcher the existing lore as much as humanly possible in this thread because of my lack of magical education. I am no wizard.

Firstly to my knowledge the source of the ability to use magic is Aether. Aether is the life force of Hydaelyn and seems to flow throughout the planet. But not in a perfectly balanced manner either. To the point where some areas accumulate massive amounts of aether compared to others. If I am correct in remembering, in 1.0 it explained that an area in Mor Dhona or so? Where the Garlean flagship had a fight with the king of dragons dude, has a extremely massive amount of aether to the point of the Garleans feeling it absolutely crucial to take it and sending as massive an army as they could in fear that the Aether levels in the area could let the beastmen pretty much give their primals endless life. It is somewhat well known the Garleans do drink tea cheerfully with the primals. So what really dictates where Aether is strongest and how does it really affect the environment. Obviously without Aether the environment would die but it seems that with too much aether the environment simply becomes a crystal wasteland much like mor dhona's case. You can't exactly grow your orange farm in hard crystal. Another thing if I remember correctly is that massive amounts of aether or sudden changes in aether can drive wildlife crazy cant it? Wasn't this a big problem in 1.0? Aether sickness is mentioned in the beginning of FFXIV:ARR and my guess is that this occurs when you travel a long distance and the air-aether content is at a significantly different level and your body needs to adjust to it.

When I think of how aether could affect an environment and its inhabitants it also makes me wonder why some people/creatures seem to be able to harness magic and others cant. As far as I know most creatures cannot use magic in Eorzea but elemental's and the likes can. (Side question. What are elementals? Embodied aether that took a control of a certain element of its environment and started hovering around aimlessly?) There could be animals in game that can use magic too, but I do not know of any and regardless it does not really change the nature of the question, what allows some of them to use magic and what restricts others? Are the bodies of some simply rejecting of Aether in large amounts? Or is it an environmental adaptation? Are all creatures able to use magic but some simply not smart enough to use it? Then what about Garleans? Garleans are just as smart as everyone else but yet they still can't use magic themselves. One explanation I tried to come up with myself is that sense the center of Eorzea is on the the biggest Aether hot spots in the world that it allowed are bodies to adapt over time and be able to control large amounts of aether, enough to be able to cast a spell at least. But for Garleans where they grew up Aether was not overly abundant in the air as it would be in Eorzea or Othard so their bodies did not adjust to be able to use the amount of aether needed to cast a spell. It makes you wonder if a Eorzean were to go to Garlemald and cast a spell what exactly would happen with the significantly smaller air-aether content. If it would even cast at all? But we don't know and it is simply a far out there guess of mine.

Another thing is Aether in its solidified form seems to be crystal, or in massive condensed amounts it turns things to crystal. I am not really sure. And we know that is is possible to extract this aether and turn it into energy to power magitek. But to what degree does crystal actually affect magic. If you were touch a giant aether infested crystal then cast a spell would it be amplified by the greater power source? Could ones body even HANDLE that much aether flowing through them to cast a spell? How much CAN a persons body handle aether wise? You would think there is a limit. Can some races handle larger amounts of aether better than others? (Like in the Garleans case?) What would happen if you cast a spell ON a crystal? Would it absorb it? Or perhaps explode with energy like putting fire to gun powder?

Also a topic to touch upon is the actual USING of magic. It seems impossible to use magic without casting something normally through a medium of some sort like an arcanist's book of geometric shapes and jibber jabber or a Conjurers big wooden stick. Most also take time to cast. What is actually going on? And how does one actually CAST magic? Does it really require a medium? as from what I know Black mages pull from the "Black" or something and that does not seem to require a medium to cast other than ones own body. (Another side question; What is the black and what is the void? They seem like awkward cousins of aether that I definitely do not understand.) I am pretty sure I have seen people roleplay for arcanists as having to write intricate geometric shapes/symbols into a book to activate a cast. But why do they have to do this? It seems like with conjurors they can just cast from surrounding aether (*Does not know how a conjuror works*) and wouldn't it be far easier just to do what they do? Or does pulling from raw aether outside of a pretty symbolized medium require a stronger body handling of aether that would prove too difficult to some so they are forced to revert to arcanist methods. For all I know arcanist magic and conjuror magic could have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with aether and each other. Although I hope they would because it would be a whole hell of a lot more confusing if they were not at least distantly related.

Another thing is (I may be a bit redudent here I am kind of forgetting what I have already gone over Tongue) is to what DEGREE you can harness the aether and turn it into magic with. Primal's seem to ABSORB aether and get extremely powerful. Dalamund as it was getting dragged towards Hydaelyn was also sucking up a crap ton of aether from the planet itself as the elder primal Bahamut fed of its energy correct. How much can a primal actually hold? Could it absorb the whole planet? Or would it eventually break down from the absolutely insane amount of aether? There must be some limit as to how much a person or primal can take even if it is just a certain amount of the surrounding air content otherwise what stops a primal from being a aetherical black hole and just sucking all the aether from the planet whenever is spawns? To what degree is it limited? And more importantly to what degree is it limited on a player? In the intro cut scene you see the old archon dude build a extremely huge badass shield that protects from Bahamuts mega flares of awesomeness, what allows him to get THAT powerful? And what kept him from being powerful enough to hold it and it eventually shattering his staff. Was it his staff that was just an insanely powerful medium and him controlling it well? Or did he actually have the ability to control aether to that extent? If the former does this mean that even an amatuer in magic could do MASSIVE destruction if given a medium that could handle it? Or is there actually personal limitations depending on how long you have practiced using it. Is it like a muscle in that the more you stress it at a steady and organized pace the stronger it gets and will grow? But even muscles have limitations... Don't they?

I kind of wonder the science of magic and what you can actually do with it and what you can't do with it. You can conjure elements with it. You can heal wounds with it. But to what degree? Do you have to be able to see/imagine what you are doing? Meaning if you want to cast a fireball do you imagine the aether surrounding your hand combusting then controlling it from there? And for healing does it only heal injuries you can visibly see and imagine healing? Which is why more grievous injuries require more concentration to imagine repairing all the damadge done and why for some people it is supposedly difficult to repair damaged vocal chords because I mean, how to you imagine repairing damaged vocal chords? I do not even know what they look like! Or is it something ENTIRELY different? 

Ahh... I can't really think of much more at the moment (*has stayed up all night and is very tired*) But I know there is definitely more questions that could be asked and I highly encourage anyone and everyone who has a question about aether and magic and their abilities to post it in the comments. Not all these questions have answers in the lore I am sure. But I would like to learn everything there is to know about magic that is IN the lore then fill in the blanks with as I said before, community decided guidelines that make sense until SE releases an official explanation. So any facts you find. Post them! Educate the rest of the people like me so that way next time I talk aether I can actually feel like I slightly know what I am talking about! And any suggestions for how the grey areas of aetherical lore work should ALSO be posted! As any and all ideas are welcome in the pursuit of order and greater knowledge of how things work in this world of magical beauty.

I hope that if we can get enough information and fill in the blanks with our own we can make a guide on Aether and magic with how it works that can be somewhat understandable and help guide RPers in how to use and handle magic. It might help avoid those situations where under one characters logic it seems impossible to heal a broken bone instantiously while under others they can instantly heal a whole BODY of broken bones to somewhat good health. Then there is conflict on who is magically correct in their healing abilities. I would also still love to hear answer to the title question. I apologize for this being a giant thread of questions but I merely want to get the best understanding of Aether/magic that I can.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - LiadansWhisper - 07-13-2014

(07-13-2014, 10:15 AM)岡本 秀樹 Wrote: Because while I have hardly researched I also have not seen a guide on magic right in my face, and you would think it would be rather relevant in a world dependent on magic.

Actually, the reason you haven't seen a good guide is that getting roleplayers to agree on anything is pretty much like trying to herd cats - an endeavor that will only end in tears and alcohol.

Quote: But I would like to as a community acollect all the information on Aether and magic and formulate it into a guide with community bound laws and guidelines to help guide players when it comes to magic characters and their capabilities using the lore as much as is there and logical reasoning for the rest.

The entire community is not on these forums as is.  And the community that is on these forums really doesn't agree on much of anything.  It's going to be very hard - or more likely impossible - to get everyone to agree together on a set of rules for "how to use magic."  Everyone is different, and honestly, each player is free to play their character however they like.

Quote:It is somewhat well known the Garleans do drink tea cheerfully with the primals.

I think you mean, "The Garleans want to slaughter any and all Primals forever and ever."

Quote:(Side question. What are elementals? Embodied aether that took a control of a certain element of its environment and started hovering around aimlessly?)

We don't know.  It's not stated.  We do know that the Elementals of the Shroud are not aimless, but that's about it.

Quote:There could be animals in game that can use magic too, but I do not know of any and regardless it does not really change the nature of the question, what allows some of them to use magic and what restricts others? Are the bodies of some simply rejecting of Aether in large amounts? Or is it an environmental adaptation? Are all creatures able to use magic but some simply not smart enough to use it? Then what about Garleans? Garleans are just as smart as everyone else but yet they still can't use magic themselves.

The short answer is, "We don't know."  It's never explained.

Quote:One explanation I tried to come up with myself is that sense the center of Eorzea is on the the biggest Aether hot spots in the world that it allowed are bodies to adapt over time and be able to control large amounts of aether, enough to be able to cast a spell at least. But for Garleans where they grew up Aether was not overly abundant in the air as it would be in Eorzea or Othard so their bodies did not adjust to be able to use the amount of aether needed to cast a spell. It makes you wonder if a Eorzean were to go to Garlemald and cast a spell what exactly would happen with the significantly smaller air-aether content. If it would even cast at all? But we don't know and it is simply a far out there guess of mine.

Considering that Garlemald was surrounded by kingdoms where people had no problem using magic (which actually put them at a severe disadvantage prior to "re-discovering" magitek, I don't think your theory holds up.  The Garlean inability to harness their own aether appears to be a genetic quirk.

Quote:Another thing is Aether in its solidified form seems to be crystal, or in massive condensed amounts it turns things to crystal. I am not really sure. And we know that is is possible to extract this aether and turn it into energy to power magitek. But to what degree does crystal actually affect magic. If you were touch a giant aether infested crystal then cast a spell would it be amplified by the greater power source? Could ones body even HANDLE that much aether flowing through them to cast a spell? How much CAN a persons body handle aether wise? You would think there is a limit. Can some races handle larger amounts of aether better than others? (Like in the Garleans case?) What would happen if you cast a spell ON a crystal? Would it absorb it? Or perhaps explode with energy like putting fire to gun powder?

I don't think levels are ever given.  If you're practicing Thaumaturgy, you need to have some kind of aetheric reserves naturally or the magic can kill you because of how it's used (you draw on your own aether).  The magic that Arcanists and Conjurers use, however, is simply drawn from the aether around them, and there does not appear to be a limit to how much they can channel - although Conjury is limited, it is not limited by the person casting it.  It's limited by the Elementals who won't let mortal men draw on more than just a small fraction of Succor.

Quote:Also a topic to touch upon is the actual USING of magic. It seems impossible to use magic without casting something normally through a medium of some sort like an arcanist's book of geometric shapes and jibber jabber or a Conjurers big wooden stick.

Selphie, an NPC in the Conjurer questline, casts Conjury multiple times without ever using a wand or staff.  She simply stretches her hand out.  She has a wand on her, but she doesn't pick it up.

Quote:Most also take time to cast. What is actually going on? And how does one actually CAST magic? Does it really require a medium? as from what I know Black mages pull from the "Black" or something and that does not seem to require a medium to cast other than ones own body. (Another side question; What is the black and what is the void? They seem like awkward cousins of aether that I definitely do not understand.)

It's not really explained in game.  The Black is the void, however, as far as I know.

Quote:I am pretty sure I have seen people roleplay for arcanists as having to write intricate geometric shapes/symbols into a book to activate a cast. But why do they have to do this? It seems like with conjurors they can just cast from surrounding aether (*Does not know how a conjuror works*) and wouldn't it be far easier just to do what they do? Or does pulling from raw aether outside of a pretty symbolized medium require a stronger body handling of aether that would prove too difficult to some so they are forced to revert to arcanist methods. For all I know arcanist magic and conjuror magic could have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with aether and each other. Although I hope they would because it would be a whole hell of a lot more confusing if they were not at least distantly related.

Arcanists use math to make magic from the aether around them.  It's just how that particular class of magick-users works.  It's explained fairly well (though not in-depth) in the Arcanist questline, which I encourage you to experience.  As for Conjurers, they draw from the aether (lifeforce) around them.  The magic that Arcanists cast is unrelated to the magic that Conjurers cast.  Conjurers draw from Succor, or White Magic, but are only granted access to a very small part of that magic by the Elementals of the Shroud (who are policing the use of Conjury and White Magic).  Arcanists simply draw from ambient aether, as far as I can tell.

Quote:Another thing is (I may be a bit redudent here I am kind of forgetting what I have already gone over Tongue) is to what DEGREE you can harness the aether and turn it into magic with. Primal's seem to ABSORB aether and get extremely powerful. Dalamund as it was getting dragged towards Hydaelyn was also sucking up a crap ton of aether from the planet itself as the elder primal Bahamut fed of its energy correct. How much can a primal actually hold? Could it absorb the whole planet? Or would it eventually break down from the absolutely insane amount of aether? There must be some limit as to how much a person or primal can take even if it is just a certain amount of the surrounding air content otherwise what stops a primal from being a aetherical black hole and just sucking all the aether from the planet whenever is spawns? To what degree is it limited? And more importantly to what degree is it limited on a player? In the intro cut scene you see the old archon dude build a extremely huge badass shield that protects from Bahamuts mega flares of awesomeness, what allows him to get THAT powerful? And what kept him from being powerful enough to hold it and it eventually shattering his staff. Was it his staff that was just an insanely powerful medium and him controlling it well? Or did he actually have the ability to control aether to that extent? If the former does this mean that even an amatuer in magic could do MASSIVE destruction if given a medium that could handle it? Or is there actually personal limitations depending on how long you have practiced using it. Is it like a muscle in that the more you stress it at a steady and organized pace the stronger it gets and will grow? But even muscles have limitations... Don't they?

No idea.

Quote:I kind of wonder the science of magic and what you can actually do with it and what you can't do with it. You can conjure elements with it. You can heal wounds with it. But to what degree? Do you have to be able to see/imagine what you are doing? Meaning if you want to cast a fireball do you imagine the aether surrounding your hand combusting then controlling it from there? And for healing does it only heal injuries you can visibly see and imagine healing? Which is why more grievous injuries require more concentration to imagine repairing all the damadge done and why for some people it is supposedly difficult to repair damaged vocal chords because I mean, how to you imagine repairing damaged vocal chords? I do not even know what they look like! Or is it something ENTIRELY different?

We don't know, and every player is different.  There is no right or wrong answer here.

Quote:Ahh... I can't really think of much more at the moment (*has stayed up all night and is very tired*) But I know there is definitely more questions that could be asked and I highly encourage anyone and everyone who has a question about aether and magic and their abilities to post it in the comments. Not all these questions have answers in the lore I am sure. But I would like to learn everything there is to know about magic that is IN the lore then fill in the blanks with as I said before, community decided guidelines that make sense until SE releases an official explanation. So any facts you find. Post them! Educate the rest of the people like me so that way next time I talk aether I can actually feel like I slightly know what I am talking about! And any suggestions for how the grey areas of aetherical lore work should ALSO be posted! As any and all ideas are welcome in the pursuit of order and greater knowledge of how things work in this world of magical beauty.

I hope that if we can get enough information and fill in the blanks with our own we can make a guide on Aether and magic with how it works that can be somewhat understandable and help guide RPers in how to use and handle magic. It might help avoid those situations where under one characters logic it seems impossible to heal a broken bone instantiously while under others they can instantly heal a whole BODY of broken bones to somewhat good health. Then there is conflict on who is magically correct in their healing abilities. I would also still love to hear answer to the title question. I apologize for this being a giant thread of questions but I merely want to get the best understanding of Aether/magic that I can.

The thing is, everyone isn't going to agree on which magic is kosher, and which magic is not.  No one is "magically correct" or "magically incorrect." There are no real rules or guidelines, and no one here has the right to create them.  People are allowed to play what they want, and if you don't like someone's style of magic, you don't have to play with them.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Aduu Avagnar - 07-13-2014

I tend to go by, the more powerful the spell, the more it hits Nako's reserves, the more quickly he is going to wear himself out, as for conjury/arcany (arcanima? I forget which), I tend to play that as mentally taxing as opposed to physically (due to it not draining yourself).

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - FreelanceWizard - 07-13-2014

So... one of the problems is that a lot of the metaphysics of the world of XIV aren't very well explained. There's some pretty core metaphysics that are extremely different between 1.0 and 2.0, not fully explained, or simply not explained at all. Add into that the slow reveals each patch about Primals, Ascians, and the Echo, and you have a game that really just glosses over most of magic theory with a, "Hey, this is Final Fantasy. People use magic, okay?" Much of metaphysics in XIV -- including what MP represents, what "spells" represent (discrete magical works like in D&D? Common effects like in Mage: the Ascension? Are they taught? Intuited? Can you make your own?), how key an implement is to casting -- falls into the category of grey areas of lore.

The trick to grey areas of lore is that we can't try to say, "this is how this must be," because doing so steps on the ability of other RPers to play what they want. Consider one grey area of arcanima lore -- the personality and behavior of pets. A lot of RPers play their carbuncles as having personalities, emotions, and "pet-like" behaviors that vary from "guardian" to "lap dog." There's a little bit of support for this from the NPCs in the training circle of the arcanists' guild, but there's support against it in that it never gets mentioned by any of the trainers (if arcanists were typically snuggling with their carbuncles all the time, some NPC would probably say something about that Smile ). No explicit statement is made either way, so we have an opportunity for characters to differentiate themselves and for players to interpret the lore differently. L'yhta's carbuncles, for instance, are purely aetheric constructs that have no personality. They're basically a very persistent spell for her, not a magic puppy that follows her around. How do I reconcile the different approaches? OOC, I recognize it's a grey area and accept that others will want to play different things that still mesh with the lore. IC, L'yhta views this as an area ripe for research, and uses it to surmise that summoning spells build their physical pattern partially from the thought patterns of their summoner; the spell quite literally, so she believes, creates the summon its summoner wants, down to the personality (or lack thereof) of the construct.

LiadansWhisper makes an excellent point, which is that no one really has the authority to say what the "right answer" is in these grey areas of lore, and magic in XIV is full of such areas. IMO, the best way to go is to come up with a metaphysical system that works with lore and with your character, and have that be the way your character views and approaches magic. We might call it a "paradigm," to lift a term from Mage: the Ascension. Smile You can then use this as a springboard for RP with other magically inclined characters, as you discuss your different theories on how a clearly poorly understood force operates. Remember: no matter how awesome Eorzea's mages may seem, they clearly are only scratching the surface of what was known and done during the War of the Magi and the Allagan Empire (e.g., cloning, capturing Primals to power magical devices, controlling the minds of dragons, stopping time, giant unbreakable magical barriers, Ultima). They're like alchemists compared to today's quantum chemists. Smile

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Kage - 07-13-2014

To be perfectly honest, I moved away from personally doing much magic at all for this exact reason. How fast wounds can be healed? To what extent? How much damage is caused by the magic etc.
Also, the use of the aetherytes and the aethernet. Can people just freely teleport? I assume for genetic and biological Garleans it's a no. There's some limitation, but what? How much is game mechanic vs lore?

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Erik Mynhier - 07-13-2014

I limit my personal magic in scope due to my class, in an attempt not to be overpowered. True a Paladin is expected to have white magic, and Erik was originally trained as a priest (in and of itself was more confession and less magic), all be it for only 2 years.

So what I do is Erik can cast Cure (which I very strictly state every time that it only stops the bleeding for a limited time), Protect and Stoneskin. I ooc have raise, but never IC use it, that I think crosses the line and enters that murky area that I want nothing to do with. That's almost to much for a conjurer, let alone a Paladin.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Roswyn - 07-13-2014

I think it's also important to keep in perspective what your character would be truly capable of. I would think after intensely healing a deep wound or multiple people the conjuror would be fairly wiped out for a while as you are literally using your body as a conduit for aether. Perhaps it might not affect a white mage that way but you can't play one of those because you can't be a Padjal.

I tend to play Ros with that sort of limitation. Yes, she can heal but if she gets pushed past her limits she stands a chance at falling over from exhaustion.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Faye - 07-13-2014

I'm going to second pretty much eeeeverything Liadan said. Especially on the subject of Garleans and the ability to use magic. Garleans still cannot use magic even when they come to Eorzea. They're surrounded by lands that utilize magic, and as they expand and conquer these lands for their own, they still cannot cast spells. The inability to use magic is obviously a genetic trait.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - 岡本 秀樹 - 07-13-2014

(07-13-2014, 09:04 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm going to second pretty much eeeeverything Liadan said. Especially on the subject of Garleans and the ability to use magic. Garleans still cannot use magic even when they come to Eorzea. They're surrounded by lands that utilize magic, and as they expand and conquer these lands for their own, they still cannot cast spells. The inability to use magic is obviously a genetic trait.
Ahh what I meant by this is as they adapted to their enviorment, they adapted for the long term, making their bodies adjusted to low aether and unable to use high enough amounts to cast magic. If a garlean were to come to Eorzea, that fact they cannot use high amounts of aether would not change and if it were definitely not for at least a few generations of living there and adapting to the environment.

Also I am very happy for the reponses Liadan gave and for the input everyone else has given. I learned a lot about what is in the game and what is majorly unexplained :3 While I do wish we could work together to set some guidelines I guess it truly is impossible and while slightly disheartened I expected it. I still appreciate everyones responses. <3

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - LiadansWhisper - 07-14-2014

(07-13-2014, 11:11 PM)岡本 秀樹 Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 09:04 PM)Faye Wrote: I'm going to second pretty much eeeeverything Liadan said. Especially on the subject of Garleans and the ability to use magic. Garleans still cannot use magic even when they come to Eorzea. They're surrounded by lands that utilize magic, and as they expand and conquer these lands for their own, they still cannot cast spells. The inability to use magic is obviously a genetic trait.
Ahh what I meant by this is as they adapted to their enviorment, they adapted for the long term, making their bodies adjusted to low aether and unable to use high enough amounts to cast magic. If a garlean were to come to Eorzea, that fact they cannot use high amounts of aether would not change and if it were definitely not for at least a few generations of living there and adapting to the environment.

Also I am very happy for the reponses Liadan gave and for the input everyone else has given. I learned a lot about what is in the game and what is majorly unexplained :3 While I do wish we could work together to set some guidelines I guess it truly is impossible and while slightly disheartened I expected it. I still appreciate everyones responses. <3

The best thing you can do is find likeminded people to play with.  That way, you don't have to worry about Johnny McSuperman running around casting Holy in the middle of your combat.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Cato - 07-14-2014

I treat magic as part of the setting, though I approach it in a way where it isn't embraced as a cheap excuse to do anything and everything. It bores me to tears when people push the agenda of 'my character is incredibly powerful' and never really allow their character to endure the occasional defeat or drawback.

Though that applies to characters wielding a bow, sword or pretty much anything else as much as it applies to magic wielders.

RE: To what degree do you limit magic? - Yssen - 07-14-2014

Just a couple of notes on some of the many questions put forward.

1. On Galreans - Garleans cannot naturally use magic, like at all. The Imperial soldiers we see that do use magic are one of two things. They are either; a.) using a magitek device to simulate the ability to cast magic naturally, or b.) the brainwashed that have been pressed into service from lands taken over by the empire. There is one thing we do not know, and that is the definition of Garlean. We do not know if the term refers to pure blooded Garleans (Cid, Nero, etc.), or simply those who come from the area the Empire was founded in. They never have been clear on it.

2. On sources - Magic requires Aether (or something similar) as a power source. Thaumaturges use their own, Conjurers channel it from the elementals, and Arcanist channel from the surrounding area. We know that Eorzea as a whole is an aether rich environment. For whatever reason it just flows better here. This is probably the reason Eorzea boasts a higher number of Primals than elsewhere. We do know that in the course of conquest, the Empire encountered a Primal outside of Eorzea, but that is the only case we of a Primal being out side of Eorzea that we know of. The point here is that it is much easier to channel aether in Eorzea than it is elsewhere in the world. Also, while aether itself is a source, we do know that it is not the only source. Demons and other such dark things channel from the Void, casting spells such as Void Fire, Void Blizzard, ect. ect. We also know that regular people can do the same by forging pacts with Voidsent or otherwise connecting their aether to the Void. This is generally considered a bad thing by the three magic based Guilds. Lastly, and well worth mentioning, Ceruleum is also used as a source of magical energy. It is basically a liquid form of aether (think Mako energy from FFVII) and is processed used as the fuel for magitek devices. 

3. On Aether Poisoning - Too much Aether is totally a thing. A bad thing at that. Absorbing too much Aether drives people nuts and has a deteriorating effect on the body. There is a similar effect mentioned when a person handles too much raw Ceruleum. The cause seems to be absorbing more than one's natural limit of Aether. Your mileage may vary as far as what the exact definition of that is.

4. On Casting - We currently have three major magic classes, but their spells are not the sum and total of spells available to Adventurers. Flash, Shield Oath, and Sword Oath are also spells. Bard songs are also spells. Monks channel Aether through their Chakras. For some reason Dragonfire Dive makes fire go splode everywhere. The point here being that Aether channeling/manipulation is not something that is the soul purview of just the spell casting classes.

Just some things I have seen for consideration, and to help add stuff to the conversation. ^ ^

-Y