Hydaelyn Role-Players
Chocobo Types! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Chocobo Types! (/showthread.php?tid=7628)

Chocobo Types! - TheLastCandle - 07-10-2014

One of the coolest additions that came with the new Mount and Minions tabs in patch 2.3 is that there's a lot of new flavor text. It excited me because I've been referring to Yvelont's chocobo, Goliath, as a destrier for a long time now. (The bird is huge, I tell ya.)

[Image: 0f6QBZz.png]

These are all medieval names for various types of horses, which were also used in Final Fantasy XI. Descriptions as they are used for horses follow. It's just a neat little tidbit of lore that I thought would be interesting to others who might consider their characters to be fairly well-versed in chocobo breeding and the like.

[Image: pNPN3xI.jpg]

Rouncey - The term rouncey was used to refer to an ordinary, all-purpose steed. They were used for riding, but could also be trained for war. It was not unknown for them to be used as pack animals.

Destrier - The destrier is the best-known war steed. It carried knights in battles, tournaments, and jousts. It was described by contemporary sources as the Great Horse, due to its significance. While highly prized by knights and men-at-arms, the destrier was not very common. Most knights and mounted men-at-arms rode other war mounts, such as coursers and rounceys. These three types of steed were often referred to generically as chargers.

Courser - A courser is a swift and strong steed, frequently used as a warhorse. It was ridden by knights and men-at-arms. The courser was more common than the destrier, and preferred for hard battle as they were light, fast and strong.

Palfrey - The term 'palfrey' usually referred to the most expensive and highly bred types of steed, sometimes equaling the knight's destrier in price. Consequently, it was popular with nobles, ladies and highly ranked knights for riding, hunting and ceremonial use. The significant characteristic of the palfrey was that, rather than trotting, it usually possessed a smooth, ambling gait.

Jennet - A Jennet was smaller than a palfrey, and was noted for a smooth naturally ambling gait, compact and well-muscled build, and a good disposition.

RE: Chocobo Types! - Nyx Ashkala - 07-10-2014

Oooooo this makes me want to draw different types of chocobos!

RE: Chocobo Types! - Zhavi - 07-10-2014

That is way, way cool. Thanks for sharing, I doubt I would've seen this otherwise.

(why did I make zhi hate chocobos whyyyyyy ;_; )

RE: Chocobo Types! - TheLastCandle - 07-10-2014

(07-10-2014, 01:50 PM)Aria Wrote: Oooooo this makes me want to draw different types of chocobos!

Ohooo~ Yes, please. :3

RE: Chocobo Types! - dearie doe - 07-10-2014

Thank you so much! This is so cool to know, now I'm going to ponder over which type of chocobo Eudalie has... oh the possibilities.. :3c

RE: Chocobo Types! - Xydane - 07-10-2014

Destrier! Xydane needs a Destrier! Nice share as well! Thumbsup

I'm gonna try drawing chocobos for a little bit on my livestream if you guys are interested xP. I dunno how long it'll be but I'm gonna!

www.livestream.com/rustedcrow

I can't promise high quality anything since I've never drawn one.

This is as far as I got before my head exploded x.x...

[Image: RkLjk2s.jpg]

RE: Chocobo Types! - Lady Rivienne - 07-10-2014

(07-10-2014, 05:54 PM)Aria Wrote: This is as far as I got before my head exploded x.x...

Awe this is so cute thus far!!

Also, I love the "not legs" comment there.

But yes, I love the different types of Chocobos, which is funny because I was commenting, days back, on how my character's father raised them for knights! How perfect!

RE: Chocobo Types! - Crisiet - 07-10-2014

Cris' chocobo is probably a Courser. *nod*

I love the new little things they added. Big Grin

RE: Chocobo Types! - TheLastCandle - 07-12-2014

(07-10-2014, 05:54 PM)Aria Wrote: This is as far as I got before my head exploded x.x...

I watched you draw this for a little while before I had to run off! Exploding head aside, it looks great. Smile

RE: Chocobo Types! - dearie doe - 07-12-2014

(07-10-2014, 05:54 PM)A Wrote: This is as far as I got before my head exploded x.x...

Oh, this looks amazing! <3
I'm all jelly. 

Cactuar

RE: Chocobo Types! - Tiergan - 07-12-2014

Really awesome information!! Now I want to pick what kind of chocobo my characters have. XD

RE: Chocobo Types! - Merri - 08-04-2014

Got the Draught Chocobo and thought I'd toss this little lore snippet in here. Yet another breed to the mix~
[Image: H8QWihz.png]

also magical chocobo forest wut?

RE: Chocobo Types! - Kellach Woods - 08-04-2014

Considering the amount of references that pop up in FFXIV are we even surprised they'd namedrop the Chocobo Forest?

No, no I'm not.

Still, maybe magical content to further chocobo raising?