Hydaelyn Role-Players
I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? (/showthread.php?tid=7276)

Pages: 1 2

I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Kat - 05-30-2014

Hi! I'm Kat Smile

I wanted to try out a new game, mainly because I miss RP in MMOs.
I'm willing to learn all the Lore, I have played previous FF games and everything.

Anyhoo,
how is the RP? The housing? What goes on, are there any plots or certain guilds I should know about (or should I learn on my own? lol)

Thank you!
xo
Kat ♥

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 02:46 PM)Kat Wrote: Hi! I'm Kat Smile

I wanted to try out a new game, mainly because I miss RP in MMOs.
I'm willing to learn all the Lore, I have played previous FF games and everything.

Anyhoo,
how is the RP? The housing? What goes on, are there any plots or certain guilds I should know about (or should I learn on my own? lol)

Thank you!
xo
Kat ♥

Welcome! I think the RP in this game is pretty good, and I think the community is as well. There is no official RP server, but Balmung and Gilgamesh are the unofficial ones.

As far as RP guilds, (they are called Free Companies in this game) there are lots of them, all with their various plots and problems. Just by RPing, you'll come into contact with many of them.

The housing is kind of problematic at the moment because it is only for FCs, and only relatively wealthy FCs can afford one. Personal housing should be coming soon though.

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Kat - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 02:56 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Welcome! I think the RP in this game is pretty good, and I think the community is as well. There is no official RP server, but Balmung and Gilgamesh are the unofficial ones.

As far as RP guilds, (they are called Free Companies in this game) there are lots of them, all with their various plots and problems. Just by RPing, you'll come into contact with many of them.

The housing is kind of problematic at the moment because it is only for FCs, and only relatively wealthy FCs can afford one. Personal housing should be coming soon though.

Thank you so much! I was wondering if there is just open RP or dedicated cities and whatnot.

xo
Kat ♥

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Kage - 05-30-2014

There tends to be hot spots but if you walk around any of the three major cities I'm sure you would find RP. Ul'dah tends to get a lot of it and I do believe Limsa Lominsa does as well.

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Askier - 05-30-2014

A personal confession here.

The only reason I still pay the fee is for rp.  I started playing in Febuary and the game play never grabbed me.  I still, after 4 months, don't have a max level class or much gil.  Why?  Because the community is amazing and the rp is fantastic and I spend most of my time in game rping. 

I totally think the game is worth the price for the rp alone. and the fact that there is a good mmo tied to the rp is just icing on a delicious cake.

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Zhavi - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 04:07 PM)Askier Wrote: A personal confession here.

The only reason I still pay the fee is for rp.  I started playing in Febuary and the game play never grabbed me.  I still, after 4 months, don't have a max level class or much gil.  Why?  Because the community is amazing and the rp is fantastic and I spend most of my time in game rping. 

I totally think the game is worth the price for the rp alone. and the fact that there is a good mmo tied to the rp is just icing on a delicious cake.

^ - While I only subbed in March, I don't really care about leveling. There are two reasons I level at all: 1) RP clothes, 2) goofing off with friends.

If personal housing or whatever requires level 50 then that'd be another reason, but right now most of the time when I log in I'm rping.

(also yesss, yesss ,come to Limsa! Limsa is fabulous! Wink )

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - TheLastCandle - 05-30-2014

Limsa is <3

Ul'dah is better =p

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - TheLastCandle - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 04:27 PM)Askier Wrote: Ul'dah is better =p

If you like stone, sand, and plenty of dim lighting - yes! Yes, it is!

(05-30-2014, 04:30 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote:

But Limsa smells like dead fish.... lol

RE: I'm thinking of subscribing just for RP - how is it? - Melkire - 05-30-2014

U'ldah has a sultana.
Limsa has an alien.

Ul'dah has a barmaid PC.
Limsa has a waitress NPC.

U'ldah has Sapphire Avenue Exchange, a.k.a. the most efficient, lag-free, and user-friendly bazaar ever.
Limsa has Hawker's Alley, a.k.a. Jita 2.0

Ul'dah has an in-character law enforcement linkshell, and numerous associated PCs.
Limsa has nothin' but crime. I'd name names, but they'd shank me.

Ul'dah's very architecture and layout supports spying.
Limsa's... listen, you can't spy for shit, the angles are all wrong.

I think the winner is clear here.

(clearly the answer is to move to Gridania where Crisiet will stalk love you forever)

(05-30-2014, 04:33 PM)Askier Wrote:

Heck yeah it does!

Plus there's the ocean, which is a fascinating and wondrous place. And pirates, and sailors, and the dockside tangle, and cliffs, and Mealvaan's Gate and somuchfunstufftoplaywith!

(I grew up taking fishing/camping trips to places around Anchorage, Valdez, Seward and Homer -- sure, you sometimes get that oceany-fishy-dead-things smell, but it's a good sort of stink! You must embrace it!)

*cough* Also Osric -- that's exactly what makes it fun, you weener! Maybe someday someone will want to play the peacekeeping side of things, but until then -- criminals for daaaaays.

(05-30-2014, 04:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(05-30-2014, 04:33 PM)Askier Wrote:

Heck yeah it does!

Plus there's the ocean, which is a fascinating and wondrous place.  And pirates, and sailors, and the dockside tangle, and cliffs, and Mealvaan's Gate and somuchfunstufftoplaywith!

(I grew up taking fishing/camping trips to places around Anchorage, Valdez, Seward and Homer -- sure, you sometimes get that oceany-fishy-dead-things smell, but it's a good sort of stink!  You must embrace it!)

*cough*  Also Osric -- that's exactly what makes it fun, you weener!  Maybe someday someone will want to play  the peacekeeping side of things, but until then -- criminals for daaaaays.

If Limsa is so great, how come no one ever tried to blow it up?  Huh? Huh?

And don't say it's because Limsa is so great no one would want to cause that's a lie! it's cause there's nothing there worth blowing up. =p

(05-30-2014, 04:59 PM)Askier Wrote: If Limsa is so great, how come no one ever tried to blow it up?  Huh? Huh?

And don't say it's because Limsa is so great no one would want to cause that's a lie! it's cause there's nothing there worth blowing up. =p

Because there is only one very special Askier, that's why. <3

(and also because the criminals in limsa like their money more than economy-hampering destruction. >: ) )

(also because anyone trying to blow it up would likely have said criminal groups along with lawkeeping groups after them, eeps)

Limsa has this:

[Image: Rhoswen.png]

I REST ON YOUR FACE. AND MY CASE. TOO.

But in all seriousness:

[Image: post-9247-Jennifer-Lawrence-Ill-take-bot-4EKQ.gif]