Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Oncoming Storm [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=7098)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-06-2014

The dust had always irritated him, the way it just clung to everything. If you cleaned it, it would simply reappear given time. And Thanalan had been ripe for dust, always had been, and likely always would be. And Nonotano hated the dust and subsequently, had always hated Thanalan. And yet he had thrived here, as a weed might in a well groomed yard, somehow surviving, and somehow able to thrive, despite the threats it faced.

Nonotano had also survived, much like the weed. He should have likely been dead already at least three times over, and yet the Twelve had spared him over and over. He knew that meant something important....and no it didn't mean some riddle-laced tripe about fate and destiny. He knew better and despised those who were suckered into such nonsense. No...he knew it meant he was lucky, and he hoped to carry that luck onward as he had finally decided it was time to stop hiding. He'd been avoind Ul'dah and had even adopted a new name to maintain his anonymity. "Krell". It was a ridiculous farce, the name, but he he'd grown accustomed to it and decided he would keep it.

As he neared the steps outside of Ul'dah's Gate of Nald, he sighed and brushed the dust the best could from his robes. The steps were always difficult with his limp. He looked up, smiled, and raised the hood of robe over his head, as to conceal his crimson locks and face somewhat. Some discretion would still be best, given some of the overeager buffoons in the Sultansworn or Flames running about. He began up the steps and into the city for the first time in months.

And he hoped he would find a kindrid soul sooner than later, as he had work to do.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - LandStander - 05-06-2014

There were a few things that were constants in this world, but what you could always rely on was conflict and ambition, and it just so happened that both of these were packed into a nice and neat little package. Her small feet clicked against the stone covered ground of Ul'dah's paved streets. Ozma's walk was slightly off today, perhaps it was her old bones, or maybe it was because she was still recovering from her run in with that Immortal Flame soldier. 

Ozma: "Wait a minute? Old bones? Just what are you trying to say?! I'm not old!"

*Ozma casts fire on the narrator, chasing them off.*

"Now then, let me tell you how it really is. Ozma walked proudly walked down the street of Ul'dah. Her youthful and intelligent appearance had attracted her quite a following and her adoring worshipers bowed at her arrival, throwing roses at her feet as they all vied for her attention. Even just a glance from her would be enough, it was as much as they could hope for."

As she passed by the Gate of Nald she had noticed the hooded figure coming in. If there were two things she learned in her life its: one, people in hoods have something to hide, and two, you attract less attention when you try to blend instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, and this man...he stuck out like as if someone banged that thumb with a hammer while trying to build Ozma a statue to match her greatness.

The small woman casually approached him as her mind analyzed his every movement as if trying to gauge him with that judgemental stare of hers. As she got right next to him she  began walking circles around him as she tapped her chin, studying him like a scientist would study one of their lab rats.

"You know, you are absolutely horrid at this. The hood, the limp, everyone from here to Gridania could tell you that something about you is amiss. No, no, no, this simply cannot be allowed. You'll at least have to lose that robe if you want to blend into the crowd."

[Image: 6f6zqx.jpg]

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-07-2014

He stared a moment.....this woman. Who was this woman who dared to scold him? Had she any idea who he really was or what he'd done, she wouldn't have dared to approach him such a dismissive manner. He scowed a bit, narrowing his eyes at her, but knew he couldn't make a scene here right at the gate of all places.

He tossed the hood back, revealing his short red hair and clean-cut face and he smiled at the woman. He was simultaneously annoyed and intrigued by the boldness she had displayed.

He leaned forward, looking at her with an expression that was both condescending and curious as he continued to glare at her. with a low voice that was nearly a whisper he said, "The limp is real, damn it. and stop drawing attention. There are enough fools in the city that dress more absurdly than I do...this would have been passable had you not made such a scene."

He continued to limp, past the woman and then stopped and turned back, unable to stop talking to the damnable woman. "And what would you know of it anyway? Hmm?" He had dealt with monsters like Melodia in his time, so how much trouble could one Lalafell woman pose?

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - LandStander - 05-08-2014

The woman continued to buzz around him, just as annoying and persistent as the flies in the desert.

"Attention?!" Her tiny voice grew louder as she grinned sarcastically at him." I don't understand what you mean? I haven't even begun to draw a scene!" 

Her grin only got wider as her performance drew more eyes upon them. Her tone went back to normal as she continued on.

"You come to know many things when you have lived as long as I have. Like how to act with class or find interesting strangers to harass. And you by far, are very interesting." 

She reached out her white gloved hand in a friendly greeting to him. 

"Ozmama Ozma, the words greatest tactician and mage. If you looked up "excellence" in a dictionary there would be a picture of me on that page. What is your name my no longer hidden or subtle friend? And don't give me any of those fake identities or names of pretend."

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-09-2014

Nonotano was taken aback by the brash ego of this woman. As he looked and saw the stares of the onlookers beginning to dissipate, he stared Ozmama with amixture of curiousity and mild annoyance. She didn't appear to be a threat to him, but he kept his guard up, regardless.

He extended his own black gloved hand and shook her hand quickly, releasing it afterward. He leaned close and said in a low voice with a quick side glance to ensure there was some privacy. "Nonotano Sasatani. Though I don't use that name much anymore." He let out a small cough and continued. "I go by Krell nowadays...keeps some of the past buried and that means fewer questions to answer, particularly around this city." He stepped back, studying the woman before him and placing a hand under his chin, clearly thinking.

"You said you were a mage. That, you see, interests me, as we have something in common. And maybe you and I have other interests in common." He considered her brash mannerisms and the way she spoke to him as possibly hopeful signs. If his instincts were on, which they typically were, this woman might prove to be exactly the type of person he was looking for.

"Tell me, Ozmama....what else interests you, aside from limping men in cloaks?"

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Boo - 05-09-2014

Walking in the streets of Ul'dah was a very tall Elezen woman, her dark skin showing that she was of duskwight descent. The girl was wearing basic mage clothes, her cotton halfrobe and tights were dusty and so was her hair. Today hadn't been a good day for her. It began with her trying to make a simple potion as her assignment of the morning at the alchemist's guild, which she literally blew up, right when the guildleader had decided to inspect what she had done too. How could she have expected that after the explosion, there would be a side effect making Severian's face completely purple? Of course, he didn't take it very kindly and had made her run errands all day as a punishment, each being more absurd than the previous one.

Her legs and feet were sore from all the walking she had to do and all the falling she accidentally did. All she wanted was nothing more but to sit down and relax for a few minutes, she knew her dear guild leader wouldn't let her do so. The crazy alchemist probably already had a hundred more errands he could make Midna run. 'I'm starting to feel like I should become a full time arcanist rather than to try alchemy...' The woman thought, sighing.

Behind the woman was her small, orange fuzzball companion that was following her. A topaz carbuncle, one of the few arcanist spells the elezen had bothered to learn in her short time in Limsa Lominsa, all of them have been of great help during her trips outside of town, the topaz carbuncle in particular had saved her more than once from both danger and loneliness, and she was very grateful for it.

Midna hadn't noticed that she had walked into a crowd, or more like a crowd that had started to dissipate and was marching straight forward to what the crowd had been staring at, her mind too busy to think about mutiple ways of getting revenge on the alchemist's guild leader with childish pranks to concentrate on the road in front of her. She felt something hit her foot as she lost her balance and fell face first to the ground. 

She considered laying down on the ground for a few more seconds to rest her legs but judged that she would look beyond silly at that point and sat up, her hand rubbing her forehead to eas the pain.

"I can't believe it's been the fifth time I fell today. What did I trip on now in the middle of the street? A rock? A stray cat?" She groaned in frustration. She had heard a small squeak when she fell, she considered that she might have tripped on her own carbuncle, or she could even have had tripped thanks to somebody much smaller to her, like a lalafell, it had happened multiple times to her in the past because of her size.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-16-2014

He felt the colliding legs hit him and nearly fell over. Instead he slipped to the side and Nonotano glared at the Elezen woman with a look of utter disgust.

"HOW DARE YOU, WOMAN!?" He remembered he wasn't in the Garlean camp anymore and lowered his voice, glancing at Ozmama, wondering if she was judging him at the moment for his outburst. Not that he cared, but Twelve be damned this simple visit to the city was becoming a mess. He looked up at the Elezen woman and frowned, a look of exasperation crossing his face.

"You ought to be more careful walking about. There happen to be quite a few of us running about here and I'd wager they'd not like to be trampled by a dazed and confused woman." As he glared he scanned the woman over and knew she was out of her depth but made great pains to mask his disgust. "But in any case, if you have nothing else to offer besides running over me, then be on your way."

He brushed his cloak off and as his eyes rose from that he noticed a sight that nearly took the wind out of him and caused him to grin wide, like a Coeurl about to snatch its prey. There, down the main causeway, completely oblivious to the world around him, which was pitifully normal for him, was a Lalafell he recognized. With long white hair (longer than he remembered) and the familiar scar under the right eye (though missing the other, which made Nono happy to see) was a fool who ought to be dead.

"Ruru." He whispered, no longer concerned with the two women standing by him.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-22-2014

He had wandered away, oblivious to the two with him, though he was sure one of them would surely chide him later for being so rude, but he didn't care. He had a delicious urge to cast a simple fire bolt at his younger sibling and incinerate him right there in the streets, merely for his lack of awareness. He looked so sad and lost, and that brought a wave of happiness to Nonotano.

That meant Ruru was close and was quite breakable. And break him, Nonotano wanted. As he limped, watching him from a short distance behind, he saw the slight stagger in his brother's footsteps and wondered with glee why Ruru seemed such a state. He also wondered, as his eyes narrowed, why he was clearly wearing Paladin armor. Ruru was a dimwitted fool.....not a Paladin. And Nono also picked up on the slight nods from the sentries posted throughout the city as Ruru passed. That said something...said they knew him in some capacity.

None of this added up and Nono grimaced in frustration, his mouth frowning as he was trying hard to add the facts up and yet continued to be perplexed by what he saw. He stopped for a second and placed his hand under his chin still staring at the obviously drunk figure of Ruru staggering toward the Quicksand. He continued, trying to make sure he didn't lose him when he paused as Ruru stopped near the steps outside of the Quicksand and shamelessly flirted with a young woman outside for a minute before she walked away.

His brother was many things, but a ladies' man he was not. He saw him go inside the Quicksand and Nono moved quick, getting to the door as fast as he could, not interested in Ruru slipping out the back. Thankfully a crowd had gathered and Nono was able to blend in rather quickly. Ruru waved to a blonde woman working as a barmaid and Nono's eyes again narrowed, etching her face into his memory, and Ruru went back to where the inn rooms were, he stopped and sat against the railing and frowned again.

Why was Ruru in Ul'dah again and why did he bear the look of a Paladin? It was then that a small flash of a smile began across Nono's face that slowly turned into a full grin as he knew what he had to do. He would need to find out just who Ruru's new friends were. He recalled the flirting outside and the wave to blonde.

Both the men and the women....he would want to find out who these new friends of Ruru's were. And he would likely need to deal with them in one way or another. He was still smiling as he recalled the arrogant Lalafell Ozmama....she might be the perfect person to help him with this. Though he might need others.

He tapped his chin and continued smiling to himself as he walked out of the Quicksand looking for Ozmama.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Boo - 05-22-2014

Everything had gone so fast for the elezen who just had understood that she fell on a poor lalafell. Not only did he scold her after she stumbled on him but he stormed away before Midna could even apologize and this was bad situation for her. Not because she felt guilty but because it would cause her problems in the future, affecting her future business and whatever dreams the elezen had. She stood up and cleared the dust away from her clothes.

"I'm going to lose a future client and his connections, I'm not letting this happen." She muttered.

She then noticed the other lalafell she had almost squashed and quickly apologized to the woman before rushing to the place where she last saw the small individual, her carbuncle right behind her. She had sighted him in front of the Quicksand, the place was still crowded and she had troubles finding him. She believed she had lost him when Midna nearly bumped into him once more as he came out of the adventurers' guild. At least his expression wasn't as angry as before, this meant that it was her chance to correct her mistake.

"Oh, small gu- I mean, mister! I truly wanted to apologize for err... literally walking over you. But what would be an apology without a gift? That is why I've decided to offer you one of my homemade, high-quality potion!"

The tall woman pulled out a small bottle with clear blue liquid from her right pocket and handed it to the lalafell. 'Good thing I made this before returning to the guild, I forgot my pouch there so it's all I have on me.' She thought to herself. She then remembered what he said after yelling very loudly at her

"You wish to know what I have to offer? Plenty, as I am a soon-to-be master alchemist! I currently specialize in offensive liquids so if you want to silence your wife, put your kids to sleep, paralyze a wild beast or poison your foes, Midna Lilywell is the woman you should call!" The elezen said, her chest puffed out with pride. She had omitted the part about some of her creations exploding or creating secondary effects but she's sure it's not necessary to tell anybody about it.

Midna hoped she had made a decent impression on the lalafell and that he would kindly forgive and forget what had happened.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 05-23-2014

"OOMF!!" He stopped suddenly outside the Quicksand and inside he was screaming as he saw the same Elezen who'd trampled him before nearly doing the same again. However this was not the place to lose his cool and so he merely glared at her.

She was speaking to him and yet his mind was knitting all of the details he would need to get more information about is dear brother, because what fun would life be without a bit of personal vengeance thrown in for good measure.

She was holding a blue potion out to him and he took it, with a curious look in his eye, wondering why she was....and there was the apology. This was her idea of an apology for running him over. This young naive woman....and she was still talking.

He was about to wave her away just so she was out of his sight when he heard the words that caused him to stop and listen further. "sleep...paralyze...poison enemies." He smiled. Maybe he could turn this woman to his cause.

"Midna, you said. Krell is the name. It's a pleasure. I'm supposed to be someehere now, but perhaps we can talk again. I could always use a woman of your skill."

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Boo - 05-29-2014

"I could always use a woman of your skill."

The words rang in the elezen's head multiples times as she stood there, stunned, before returning to reality a few seconds later. Hadn't there been people around, she would probably have the goofiest grin on her face. She quickly shook her head as if to shake off even the thought of it before she smiled in a more professional manner.

"A pleasure indeed Krell! If you do need me, I mostly am at the alchemy guild. Of course there'll be a slight discount on your first purchase! Please do come any time you wish to, I'll be waiting." As much as Midna wanted to ask Krell to talk about her to his friends and family, she decided she'd try to get more advertisment later, once she had actually started doing business.

She felt a slight tug on the bottom of her mage robe. When she looked down, she saw that her Topaz Carbuncle was attempting to catch her attention, trying to make her remember that she had to go back to the guild soon to give her report of the last errands to the guild.

"It looks like I don't have much time myself. See you, little gu- I mean, mister Krell!" The elezen excused herself before walking away from the lalafell and into the crowd. She stopped when she had an idea, she could go apologize to the other lalafell she almost fell on and manage to get a new client. Even if that meant she had to endure doing more errands, it was worth a shot.

"Sounds good... I have no idea of where she could be though, I can't see her from here, what should I do?" She muttered.

Midna decided that if she didn't find the lalafell fast enough, she might just give up to go and give her report to the guild.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 06-13-2014

It had been some suns since his encounter with Ozmama in the streets and Nono had every intention of finding her again soon. But in the meantime, he had plans. He stood up from his bed in the Inn at the Quicksand and grimaced a bit, the pain in his knee incredibly oppressive today.  His joints ached, especially when it was going to rain, something about the humidity that worked its way into his system. He stretched his leg out slowly, wincing a bit and then stood. 

Sighing, he limped across the room to the dresser and grabbed his black tunic. He hated it. Reminded him of his spoiled brother. But he wanted to blend in a bit, and wandering around the city with mage robes tended to draw attention.

Unwanted attention.

No, today he was going to start draw attention in a different way. A way he could try and control. It was like fishing. If he could lure his brother out, then it would all be worth it.

His knee ached and he stretched it. If Ruru'd just had the damned courtesy to have died that day, he wouldn't be in this predicament. Nono looked into the mirror and breathed. It was time to put on his mask. He smiled happily and nodded.

There it was. His false face. The smile was the lie, a way to break the ice with others, with those he felt he could use. And today he would use this smile on the blonde barmaid.

Aya. That was her name. He'd spent a few days ascertaining that with overheard conversations in the Quicksand. Had watched men and women come and go and engage with her. She'd been the one Ruru had talked to.

So today, Nono decided he would have a chat with her and set things into motion. He laughed, his high pitched, child-like voice masking the contempt he had; the contempt for Ruru. The spoiled brat who couldn't see couldn't see the bigger picture if it was right in front of him.

And if getting to him meant playing a game with his friends, then so be it. He nodded and then stepped out of the room, eager to find the woman.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Aya - 06-13-2014

Aya was not that far from Nono, ensconced in her own little room at the Quick Sand.  The mid-morning sun baked against the southern wall of the inn, filling her room with a familiar oven-like heat, despite the unseasonably cool weather of the last few days.  She had come to accept the heat that assaulted the room each day, using it to fuel her morning workouts, and at that moment she was enjoying the respite of a cool shower, to sweep away the residue of that exercise.  Laid out on her bed where clothes for the day, and before long she would be off to the market to buy a few things before starting her shift at the Quick Sand later that afternoon.

Just the start of another exciting day..

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Melodia - 06-13-2014

Nono walked into the Quicksand and looked about. Aya wouln't start her shift for some time. He knew. He'd been watching her times. Her routines.

Tapping the table softly in a rhythmic drumbeat with his fingers, he kept his eye on Momidi, the proprietor. She was kind enough but she was trouble and didn't want her getting involved. He ran the details over in his mind and knew there were a lot of moving parts. His eyes closed for a moment and he recalled two vivid images in his mind:

The first being that moment when he saw the arrow fly and hit him. The impact had been tremendous and had knocked the wind from his lungs immediately. He remembered seeing the bleeding stunned look on Ruru's face before he'd fallen off the cliff. The fall had felt so far and he wasn't even able to scream. The arrow had been lodged deep into his chest, preventing him from exhaling properly. When he'd hit, his knee had all but been destroyed by the rocks. He should have been dead save for the minor healing spell that had kept him alive long enough for the Garleans he'd been working with to pull him to safety.

The second was of Ruru, drunk, wandering Ul'dah. This was always father's favorite son....and look at him...wandering around like a buffoon. Father would have been ashamed.

His eyes opened slowly and remained narrow as he refused to consider what their father would have thought of his actions. Regardless, his actions were what they were and he dismissed the thought entirely.

Aya had stepped out from her room and he followed her with his eyes ready to follow her to her next destination.

RE: The Oncoming Storm [Open] - Aya - 06-13-2014

Aya stepped out of the hallway, and into the main room of the Quick Sand with a smile on her lips.  She looked upward, taking rare note of the atrium-like design of the building, its high ceiling that seemed to amplify any background noise from the chatter below.  She looked about as a few patrons took lunch, and then stepped over to the bar to speak with Momodi.

She was dressed normally for her, a short skirt and high, heeled boots.  A short cloak was draped around her shoulders falling to her knees, with a hood hanging against her back.  She had put her hair up, a long braid wrapped around and helping keep everything in place, a pony tail left that hung down just below her shoulders.

The conversation was excited, and brief.  She took a moment to pull her cloak fully over her bare shoulders, a necessary protection for the fair-skinned against the Ul'dahn sun, before picking up a small basket, a list, and a small pouch of gil.  

With energetic steps she was soon out the door and on her way to the market!