Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Editor's Desk - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Editor's Desk (/showthread.php?tid=709)

The Editor's Desk - Tadir - 09-23-2010

Sun streams brightly through the open window overlooking the fishing piers. Tadir leans back in his chair, enjoying the feel of the sun on his face. He props his feet up on his desk, which is almost completely covered by papers. Discarded articles and rough drafts litter the room. His feet nudge a lantern sitting on the desk in one of the few clear spaces next to the desk plaque that says, "Editor-In-Chief."

The walls of the office are covered with photos of a hulking Roegadyn wearing a green visor. In almost every picture he has a cigar in his mouth. The pictures depict locations all over the world, from the scenic to the cities. There are also several prominent photographs of him with various celebrities. Directly behind the desk are three pictures of Tadir West, the most intriguing being the picture of him looking very familiar with the Admiral.

Across from the desk the words Tonberry's Lantern can faintly be seen in reverse on the frosted glass in the upper half of the door. A large green visor hangs from the hook next to it.

Tadir rubs his hands over his face, enjoying the sun, and wonders if the wretched man is ever going to make an appearance. He wants this issue taken care of and finished. The article was actually good, much to Tadir's surprise. That made the upcoming discussion all the more difficult. He would much rather tell the man...Illuminati...what a stupid name. He would much rather tell Illy to shove it, but the paper desperately needs more writers.

"So here I am," Tadir thinks, "waiting for a decent writer with an absurd sense of drama to show up so I can find out who he is...wonderful way to waste my time..."

The Editor sighs, letting his head fall back against the chair again and enjoys the warmth of the sun on his face.

Re: The Editor's Desk - Illuminati - 09-23-2010

If you want something done, do it yourself.

She had heard the saying many times, and in this case she truly wished she had been able to follow it. When she instructed her retainer, Avalon, to arrange a meeting with The Lantern's new editor she assumed the girl would realize that it was to be done sometime under the cover of night. The woman pulled the hood of her white cowl further forward over her face to hide her features from passing strangers as she walked through the streets of Fisherman's Bottom.

She approached the stone building that stood as the headquarters for the newspaper and noticed several pullers outside casting their lines while chatting quietly with one another. Subconsciously she averted her eyes as she passed, although she was more then sure all but her lips and chin were covered by the cowl. Without stopping to hear if any comments were made, she opened the door to the building and stepped inside.

As she reached the top of the second floor she stared at the frosted window on the door in front of her with the words, "Tonberry's Lantern" across it. For a moment she stopped in her tracks, her hand still firmly on the polished stair rail, and swallowed deeply.

Still not too late to back out now...

Letting go of the rail she willed herself forward, raised her hand and knocked gently on the door...

"Excuse me, Mister West," She said as she opened the door and stepped inside without an invitation, "I believe you've been waiting for me."

Re: The Editor's Desk - Tadir - 09-23-2010

Tadir's eyes snapped open and he shot to his feet as he heard the woman's voice. He slipped around his desk, stepping over several piles of paper to greet her and try to get a look at the woman's face. The light from the window was casting a dark shadow across her face, all but obscuring it from view.

"I don't believe so." He extends his hand. "Have we met before?" Tadir looks panicky for a moment, glances around at the mess on his desk, then back to the woman. "Did we have a meeting set up?"

He shakes his head without waiting for an answer.

"Either way, can I take your cloak? Get you a drink?"

A smile nearly passed her lips before she softly replied,"No, Mister West I'm fine, thank you. My name is Illuminati and I'm here to discuss our paper as per arranged."

Once more without waiting, she glided past him and briefly looked around the room. When her eyes fell on the pictures of his travels she couldn't help but smile, "So you do have some culture, I see. I was half expecting a hermit who spent all his time in books and ink. Now which seat will you be most comfortable in so we can begin?"

Tadir's pleasant, welcoming expression hardens. He watches as Illy walks past him, then he moves back behind his desk.

"First of all, my dear, it is not "our" paper. It is my paper. And nothing goes in without my approval."

Tadir turns to the shelf under the pictures and pours himself a glass of gin. He turns and lifts his glass to her.

"You're sure you don't want one?"

Placing his glass on the desk, he indicates the chair across from him.

"Second. How dare you come into my office, demanding things of me and then insult me? I have this job for a reason."

Tadir settles himself into his chair, still frowning.

"Now, Miss...What is your name?"

He sits back in his chair and sips from the glass of gin.

"I'm sorry I've upset you, Mister West. May I call you that or do you prefer something else?" She stated calmly as she took her seat in the chair he indicated. Then she continued without stopping to allow his response, "I assume there is nothing wrong with my work, although as I stated, you only have the outlines. The finished product should be nothing short of spectacular. Again, my name is Illuminati - it means enlightened. I feel it's our duty to enlighten our readers and show some truth in this world, wouldn't you agree?"

"I know what the word means. It's not a name. And Mr. West is fine."

He looks down at his desk, places his glass off to the side and begins shuffling through papers. After a few seconds he finds what he is looking for and places it on top of the stack.

"As a matter of fact, no. There isn't anything wrong with your work. I think you have the beginnings of a very good article here. What I have an issue with is your presumption. If you had come to me yourself and made a proposal instead of sending a lackey with demands we would be having a very different conversation."

Tadir waves his hand in dismissal. "And I have no problem with you wanting to keep your name anonymous from the readers. I have several other reporters who write under different names. I just have no idea what to call you. I feel absolutely stupid actually calling you Illuminati. It's just awkward. Illy I can live with."

He looks at her, considering.

"I could also live with Miss White or something similar if you prefer. If we go ahead with this you can sign your articles whatever you want. I just need something to call you. Do either of those work for you?"

"Avalon is not a "lackey", as you suggest. Only thugs and thieves have lackeys. She's a valued employee - or at least she will be when she stops spilling coffee on everything. If your only objection is to my name then you can call me..." For a moment she hesitated as the name nearly sprang from her lips. A distant memory of a white flower came to mind and for an instant she wanted to change her response. Too late now, she thought as she continued, "Lilly. How would you like to contact me in future if Avalon isn't to your liking?"

Tadir raises his eyebrows. "Oh, no. Avalon seems like a sweet girl. I have no problem with her at all. Feel free to send her along any time you like." He smiles at Lilly. "And Lilly it is. Feel free to call me Tadir, Mr. West, Editor, whatever. West is fine too."

He looks back down at the papers Lilly had included with her letter.

"If there isn't anything else, then welcome aboard. When can I expect the rest of your article for my paper?"

Tadir smiles pleasantly at her.

Still arguing semantics, are we? - I guess I'll let him have this one.

"Soon enough. I'll make sure they're ready to be submitted before the due date." She stood up and walked carefully towards the door, stepping over a few piles of papers as she went, "And maybe I'll send Avalon to help organize some paperwork for you."

Opening the door she turned to address him one last time, "Have a good day and I'll be sure to drop by sometime soon, Tadi. Until then..." She raised a finger with bright red manicured nail to her lips, "Sssh..." and she closed the door behind her.

Tadir's smile freezes in a grimace as his head cocks to the side at the sound of the, in his mind, pejorative "Tadi". He blinks deliberately several times before taking a deep breath. When he finally leans back he just starts laughing.