Hydaelyn Role-Players
Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified (/showthread.php?tid=7076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Maril - 05-03-2014

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/24k0pa/personal_housing_is_going_to_cost_more_than_850k/

I say potentially because people on reddit are still debating the translation. But, the guesstimate so far sounds that it may cost between 850k and 2 million to start with. 
What do you guys think about this? Too much? Too little? 

I am especially curious to see if they would restrict how many houses one can have per server, cause if they don't restrict it I'm most definitely going to have housing on my 3 most used characters. But if they're going to do personal housing in the same fashion as FC housing, you could have entire streets occupied by one player. 
I know they're planning on adding rooms to FC housing, but I'm not sure they mean that as an instead of personal housing, cause that would mean that you need to be in a FC with a house which most certainly not everyone is. 

As for the price point, it may be a little high for new players, but I think it's a decent level. Especially if they're going to allow it to drop over time as well.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Clover - 05-03-2014

I've been saving up from the very beginning for a house, so those prices sound okay to me. So long as it's not more than that, I should be able to get a house for Clover *bounces*.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Naunet - 05-03-2014

Too much, IMO. I come from an MMO where the basic intro house for personal housing is free, and the effort and journey comes from either decorating that, or saving up to get a bigger one and decorating that.

But nope. Apparently SE is anti-fun when it comes to fluff content. -_-; And horrendously alt-unfriendly. I'd even say alt-hostile.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - synaesthetic - 05-03-2014

I don't understand why you have to be level 50 and reach a GC rank to buy a house. Are all the normal people in Eorzea homeless? Why can only demigod badasses buy a friggin' house?

Also yeah it's really expensive... those price ranges should have been the ranges for free company housing, with the largest FC houses topping out around two or three million.

I'm basically of the opinion that everyone ought to simply get a basic starter house automatically, right from the start, right at level one. If you want bigger and better houses, then you'll have to pay. Or raid. Or do quests. Or engage in the content in another way.

I'm fortunate in that I don't really care as much about housing as I used to, so this doesn't bother me so much, but it's still pretty silly. I just really don't get why Square keeps operating out of the How to Build an MMORPG, 2006 Edition.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Kailia - 05-03-2014

Prices seem pretty fair to me. I am guessing the price tags will be something like:

850k - Small
1.2m - Medium
2m - Large

Housing shouldn't be given away, especially since there wont be any weekly upkeep costs. Your character is buying land here, and land that falls under grand company jurisdiction, so it makes sense to me, that your character has to first earn the right to own land before they can.

Want free housing? Maybe your FC Leader will make you a room in the FC house. I know my own character's story isn't leading her to owning her own land right now, she's going to live in a room in the company cottage. Overall, seems reasonable to me. 2 million gil for a large house, well large are basically giant mansions, so yeah one would imagine such an owner would be a gillionair.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Ignacius - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 05:15 AM)synaesthetic Wrote: I don't understand why you have to be level 50 and reach a GC rank to buy a house. Are all the normal people in Eorzea homeless? Why can only demigod badasses buy a friggin' house?

Also yeah it's really expensive... those price ranges should have been the ranges for free company housing, with the largest FC houses topping out around two or three million.

I'm basically of the opinion that everyone ought to simply get a basic starter house automatically, right from the start, right at level one. If you want bigger and better houses, then you'll have to pay. Or raid. Or do quests. Or engage in the content in another way.

I'm fortunate in that I don't really care as much about housing as I used to, so this doesn't bother me so much, but it's still pretty silly. I just really don't get why Square keeps operating out of the How to Build an MMORPG, 2006 Edition.
Probably too much.  From what I understand, personal housing isn't going to be the open-world housing we already have (which I kind of liked), but more like a tenement space like it was in FFXI.  It's also horrendously expensive for something you can't even use on your alts.

As to the post above, the weird thing is, Final Fantasy XI had free, personal housing for each character in 2004.  Which means they essentially decided not to go that way this time through.  That seems strange to me, functionally, since Square is supposed to make more money allocating us 7 more slots for alts per server.  Not only that, but they've made sure it's almost impossible to start an alt (due to server restrictions), it's ridiculously difficult to operate one (almost nothing is shared between characters, including friends' lists if I understand it correctly), and it honestly isn't necessary to have one (since all characters can be any class they want).

You'd think they'd want people to pay those couple extra dollars a month.  I'm about to reduce back to the economy package simply because it's too hard to make an alt and not necessarily beneficial to keep one.

I'm not as big on the concept of player housing and, if I'm going to be honest, I'm actually not happy with ANYONE's housing options for characters.  I'm an architectural designer by trade.  The idea of us all having to get our own personal spaces in the suburbs that none of the NPCs seem to be able to own is very eerie to me.  Why can't I, as a character, have a rundown studio space above a bar?  Or live in a high-rise penthouse once I have a ton of money?  Or make a hovel in a sewer?  Why do games, where this kind of thing just requires a little extra programming (I could generate five apartment-style layouts for the game in a month in Max, and I'm not even a game designer).

More than that, what's the point of having player housing?  To store stuff?  To get people together in your private room?  There's not enough real benefit to having one to justify the cost.  I'm seriously thinking about the RP implications of Ignacius getting a house.  Why would he?  He's a traveling mercenary sellsword and a hitman, he probably lives out of hotels.  And the hotel rooms are free!

I guess I just think housing in games these days is both too much of a hassle and, at the same time, not really used to its full potential.  There's too much convenience in modern MMOs to make your own personal space really worthwhile.  I think developers these days need to try harder to make those spaces useful and desirable, especially if they're going to make us pay to have/upgrade them.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - ArmachiA - 05-03-2014

^ IT's going to be both. A personal apartment in 2.3 and then your own house shortly after.

There was an article the other day that said this:

As for personal housing, you’ll need a level 50 character and get up to a certain rank in the Grand Company. This will be introduced sometime after the Free Company’s personal rooms are made available in Patch 2.3, and the size will be a little larger than the ones at the inns. The prices will be around 850,000 gil, which Yoshida says might be a bit too much, so it could be lower.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/01/final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborns-marriage-system/#7JP7MTH5PttrsQw0.99

850k, if they all aren't one size, is probably for the small house. I have enough for the medium house on Armi, though if I wanted to push it I could get her the large. That's of course they don't decide housing is going to be all small houses only. Loki is more of an apartment girl so my plan for her is to live off the FC house. I'm not sure if the apartment is the same price? It's not clear if they are charging for the FC apartment at all.

Anyway, it doesn't really bother me, the price. Shockingly, there aren't THAT many money sinks in this game and unless you're burning through all the crafts like a boss you're just not spending your money (I have one craft to 50, and I mostly just sit on the money I make if I'm not donating to the Guild Bank) so it does not surprise me at all that housing is going to be the big money sink for people. Other games that have Free Housing probably have other money sinks at the end of the game to compensate. This one really doesn't.

It's also a little easier to make money now-a-days with the gil rewards FOR EVERYTHING, so I'm actually glad they gave us this much notice so people can save up if they want one.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Rinh Hallani - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 05:02 AM)Naunet Wrote: Too much, IMO. I come from an MMO where the basic intro house for personal housing is free, and the effort and journey comes from either decorating that, or saving up to get a bigger one and decorating that.

But nope. Apparently SE is anti-fun when it comes to fluff content. -_-; And horrendously alt-unfriendly. I'd even say alt-hostile.

I wonder how this is going to affect people who donated all/most of their gil for FC housing? I donated a significant chunk of mine and now I'm just under the 850k price being thrown around, but is that even going to be enough? The link says, "You're not buying a house with only 850k gil." I'm not farming gil for months on end like I did to help with FC housing, so forget that.

I also agree about it being alt-hostile. I was going to have a stable of alts like I did in WoW but after grinding through everything with just one alt, no way am I doing that again. Shame because I enjoy making different characters with different personalities for RP.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Zhavi - 05-03-2014

I . . . um . . . .

Looks like you're staying homeless, Zhi.

(maybe eventually once I start rping more regularly she can just crash at a different place every night. Everyone needs one of those people in their lives, right?! The ones who just show up at your door with a piteous look, all of their belongings, and a 'can I stay with you?')

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Magellan - 05-03-2014

Just another thing SE bungled with ARR. Thank goodness Wildstar's housing systeem is so much more dynamic.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Maril - 05-03-2014

(05-03-2014, 11:01 AM)Zhavi Wrote: I . . . um . . . .

Looks like you're staying homeless, Zhi.

(maybe eventually once I start rping more regularly she can just crash at a different place every night.  Everyone needs one of those people in their lives, right?!  The ones who just show up at your door with a piteous look, all of their belongings, and a 'can I stay with you?')

My main, Sastra, will likely have her house simply pose as innrooms. But even more so for my alts - if one assumes that we can have one house per character - I'd actually be interested in sharing a house with someone else.And I'm sure there are more people in my situation who'd be happy to have a roomie. Mayhaps, when the time comes, a couple of threads can open where people look for roomies for their houses and that. I could see that as a good way to solve the fact that some cant afford it (or are low level alts) whilst still having a place they could retreat to or point at and say "I live there!". And I'd imagine it could even breed some new roleplay as you meet new people. Now, it wouldn't work if there wasn't good communication between the two but, it could probably work out. 

It'd all depend on how people gain access to other people's houses and that though. I sort of hope they make a whitelist system. They probably wont but it's a nice dream to have.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Naunet - 05-03-2014

Further clarification of the translation from the forums reveals that what was actually stated was more:

"I've only got about 850k left after donating gil to my FC. Will that be enough?"
"No, I don't think so."

So, considering Yoshi seems to think that the average player has 1.5-2 million gil on hand (as per another interview moment), I think we can predict personal housing starting in the 1 million range.

Even more absurd!

@Kailia: The land can't possibly be under Grand Company "jurisdiction", because the Grand Companies are not governmental bodies; they're simply military units. And even if they were, it shouldn't matter because this is fluff content and it should be accessible to everyone from the start.

I'm actually starting to think like Ignacius in that I'm considering reducing my subscription amount to the one-character price, even though I actually do have four other alts. I can't do jack shit with them if I don't feel like leveling them to 50 though, so what's the point in even having them? Apparently SE doesn't want my money. It's just a shame my 6 month sub renewed back in April, so now I'm stuck with this for 5 more months...

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Sini'to Shadar - 05-03-2014

I deleted my alts a long time ago and did go back to economic package. As others said, i cant be bothered to do all the same stuff again on another char...

On the Grand Companys, i think i heard ingame somewhere the housing areas (mist/goblet/lavender beds) were comissioned by the grand companys especially for adventurers. But take that with a grain of salt, its just a faint memory, i can be wrong.

Shared house owning probably wont be implemented, since i guess the houses will get the public access option like company houses. House owners can just set it to public and whoever is supposed to live there IC too, can just acess it when they want.

thats what i guess will happen, because its the lazy solution for SE

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Flickering Ember - 05-03-2014

I don't think it's too much for me personally. I think I can save up that much money before it comes out. There are more ways to make money now which is nice although all the money-making in this game seems to be reliant on you playing the market board. There's not much of a better way to make good money so maybe the prices are unreasonable for most players.

RE: Peronal Housing costs potentially specified - Elisea Renyven - 05-03-2014

Honestly... I'm going to be flamed and hated for this statement but... if you know how to make gil. It's significantly easy to raise. I'll give an example, I coordinated with my FC what I needed done. In -one- month we raised over 53m with just 15 players. I made some mistakes and discovered even better ways midway in the month otherwise I could have seen us raising 100m. Granted, I spent ALOT of time in game doing stuff to set up for this agenda. It was worth it. I can tell you there is all sorts of ways to make gil. Also if your worried about gil on alts. Have a friend you trust, transfer gil or use a dummy FC like a bank. There is alternatives. If some folks need pointers on how to make gil, I'd be more than happy to help. I'm a bit shocked on legacy a large is going to be 2m, that's going to be difficult for any new FC trying to buy a large down the road. Unless personal is going to be designed in a different system. Either way, feel free to pm me if your curious, I'm more than happy to help out for those concerned on gil.