Hydaelyn Role-Players
I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers (/showthread.php?tid=6987)

I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - CanaanAzure - 04-22-2014

So, I havent been on this site for long--If you haven't noticed-- And I'm not entirely sure if this is the right spot that I should be posting this so forgive me if it does happen to be the wrong spot. 

Anyways,
My FC is starting to set up a semi-rp thing of our page (cause they're so not a RP FC). Right now were setting up the rules. 

After submitting some, the admin thats decided to go with the idea of trying a little bit of "forum gaming" (as they call it), my rule of "Don't use other character's without their permission. Never kill, harm, pair, etc. other's characters without their permission." got shot down with the response of "PvP will be a moderated thing, regardless of whether they decide on what happens before hand or not. This ensure's fairness from a third party that isn't biased in any direction for either player" 

As an experienced Rp-er, I am really confused as to how that will go down or if it's really even possible to do-- How do you even...? 

I'd like to know what you guys think about this cause I sent a reply stating how I think wouldn't work out and that it shouldn't be like that. Doesn't seem like it's someone else telling your character what to do?

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - Zhavi - 04-22-2014

I have seen some truly bizarre rules and methods over the years (my favorite being when a certain site had slots for gay characters, and once those slots were filled you could no longer create gay characters). People who are admin of any place has the right to make whatever rules they want to. If you bring up your opinion on it and disagree and they insist that they don't want to change it, then your option is to either go along with it or not go along with it. At the end of the day, there are maaany ways to rp, and sometimes you won't like how a certain group has theirs set up. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion.

That said, I wouldn't be participating in that sort of thing, no. Definitely not my cup of tea. When it comes to combat, I want to be able to figure things out with the person I'm rping with, not have it decided for me by some third party.

I was on a mud for awhile where "official" pvp involved three rounds of attacks/defense (called duels), where 3 volunteer judges would be picked. After the rounds were up the judges would vote on who won. Sometimes these duels would be to the death, or have some other sort of penalty (if there was a war on, each person would be representative of their side, you get the picture). So, I mean, it's not unheard of or anything for pvp to get decided by other people or even via a dice method, just a matter of what people enjoy.

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - CanaanAzure - 04-22-2014

I understand the who what they say goes and I do know that a 3rd party can judge who wins in the PvP, just what really kind of upset me was the way they made it out to be like.

They basically made it sound like they get to say what attacks land and do damage and what attacks are evaded and so forth-- which really I thing can halt a role-play or slow it down a lot (which i feel has a high possibility of dying out). And even if 2 people decide that they want one character to win or it to be a tie or something-- They don't even get the say so.

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - Zhavi - 04-22-2014

That's just it though -- they do get to say what attacks land and do damage or get evaded if that's how they've set up the rp. That's the price you pay whenever you choose to rp on a site or game: if the owners/administration has decided that they want to set up rules on how you can and cannot rp, you have to follow their rules. Even if it seems stupid to you, if that's how they've set it up then that's how they've set it up.

Whenever I come across a site with rules that seem super restrictive or don't cater to how I rp, I choose to not rp there. It's the only thing you can do; there is no law stating that rp has to be done such and such way. It sucks that your FC is rping in a way that you don't like, but, well, you said it yourself that they're not generally a rp FC. They've decided that this is the best way to go about it, so all you can do is just watch the magic happen. Maybe it'll fail, maybe it won't.

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - FreelanceWizard - 04-22-2014

(04-22-2014, 12:24 AM)CanaanAzure Wrote: I'd like to know what you guys think about this cause I sent a reply stating how I think wouldn't work out and that it shouldn't be like that. Doesn't seem like it's someone else telling your character what to do?

It is, functionally, and the biggest problem with that is that, really, only you can decide what happens to your character. The only consequence another player can levy against you is to not RP with you (or in this case, I suppose, kick you from the group). So, systems like this tend to fall apart or at the very least raise the spectre of favoritism. With a randomized game system, everyone's agreed to it and the rules and randomizer act as the impartial arbiter. Where there is no system and it's all handled through OOC negotiation and consent, all players involved ultimately agree to what happens to their own characters. So, yes, I largely agree with you that a system like this isn't likely to work out in the end.

That said, as Zhavi pointed out, it's their group, and they can set the rules that they want. If their rules don't mesh with your conception of RP, then you may want to consider getting your RP elsewhere (or moving on, depending on how bad the clash is).

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - CanaanAzure - 04-22-2014

Yeah-- I think I'm going to stay out of the PvP part of the RP and just sit back and watch to see how it goes.

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - Ignacius - 04-22-2014

My philosophy is that combat is generally won or lost before it starts.  Not because I always work it out beforehand, but because Sun Tzu was a genius and everything he wrote is still just as true today.  Smart characters play to their strengths, pick fights they can win, and avoid fights they will lose.

I've seen the "referee" system of combat before where you have a sort of dungeonmaster calling the shots.  It sounds weird, but if you have a good ref, it does work.

That said, you should be fine if you just use common sense.  If you're a squirrely archer teenager of slim build, it is generally a bad idea to get into a barfight with an eight-foot-tall mercenary with a face that looks like he peeled it off the sole of his boot and cauterized it back onto his skull.  And if you're that eight foot tall mercenary and you know the archer is out there at a distance, don't walk out into the open.  Walk into every possible confrontation with a plan.

RE: I'd like to get some insite on some other RPers - Kage - 04-22-2014

It's 6am so if I misread this I apologize.

Perhaps what your FC wants to do with this combat is different from what you are thinking about? Have you asked them to clarify exactly what kind of system they are imagining? Perhaps they just want to 'stage' fights between the characters instead of say setting up a fight between someone trying to assassinate someone in the middle of Pearl Lane just outside of Quicksand? Perhaps they are worried that people will powergame too much or will be godmodding (at this moment in time I just can't remember the differences I'm sorry).

Regardless, they've set up their own rules for RP which I imagine would not mesh well with lots of other RPers. I would not be joining into that sort of RP unless I fully trust who I am RPing with and have set boundaries that they are willing to follow or that I am willing to compromise on (aka for now I don't want Kage to die but I am fully willing to have him kidnapped, fake death, coma, etc for the storyline).