Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Questions! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Questions! (/showthread.php?tid=6910)

RP Questions! - Haruka - 04-12-2014

So I had a few questions about Role-Playing as I'm still learning some about it. 

1.) Is it dumb to have a song that is played during certain moments within the RP? For instance, like when Cloud lost Aerith from a stabbing by Sephiroth. Maybe have a sad song play. I tend to listen to certain songs throughout my adventure.

2.) If I'm in a battle and suffer damage like a cut to the leg, could I take a step further and limp for example? Or if I was knocked out, maybe lay in a bed for a bit to recover.

3.) Would Role-Playing solo be encouraged by RPers alike around me? 

4.) God-Modding is a definite no no correct? lol Isn't that like when people practically make up the actions by themselves for other characters? Is there ever a time when that kind of action is permitted? 

I'd totally appreciate any help! And would also love to make some new friends! Thanks!

RE: RP Questions! - Melkire - 04-12-2014

1. Not dumb at all. I have entire playlists for when I'm PvEing/RPing and have grown tired of listening to the monotonous BGM (save for Titan's theme <3). Now, if you mean having everyone in an RP session listen to a song as a setpiece... eh, as long as you don't try to force them to.

2. Up to you. If it's feasible that it could happen, go for it! It's your choice what happens to your character.

3. We had a thread on this exact subject today, oddly enough. 

4. "God-modding" is a catch-all phrase commonly understood to mean any occasion where:
  • You are depicting your character as hyper-competent to the point that it breaks people's willing suspension of disbelief.
  • You are exerting an undue amount of influence or control over someone else's character without their explicit permission.
  • You are exerting an undue amount of influence or control over roleplaying events/sessions without common consent from those around you. 
  • You explicitly break established lore/convention while engaged with others who wish to see said lore/convention respected and upheld.

RE: RP Questions! - Haruka - 04-12-2014

(04-12-2014, 04:00 AM)Melkire Wrote: 1. Not dumb at all. I have entire playlists for when I'm PvEing/RPing and have grown tired of listening to the monotonous BGM (save for Titan's theme <3). Now, if you mean having everyone in an RP session listen to a song as a setpiece... eh, as long as you don't try to force them to.

2. Up to you. If it's feasible that it could happen, go for it! It's your choice what happens to your character.

3. We had a thread on this exact subject today, oddly enough. 

4. "God-modding" is a catch-all phrase commonly understood to mean any occasion where:
  • You are depicting your character as hyper-competent to the point that it breaks people's willing suspension of disbelief.
  • You are exerting an undue amount of influence or control over someone else's character without their explicit permission.
  • You are exerting an undue amount of influence or control over roleplaying events/sessions without common consent from those around you. 
  • You explicitly break established lore/convention while engaged with others who wish to see said lore/convention respected and upheld.
So about #4, pretty much not try to be a "Mr. Know it All" or dictate what happens in a situation? I also suppose not using someone's name in a sentence unless you know that person is a bad idea too as in real life there aren't any floating names above our heads haha! But wow thanks! I could use all the help I can get. Maybe we could be friends? Smile

RE: RP Questions! - Vysce the Lad - 04-18-2014

Oh oh! I know this one!

1. I totally have an entire SOUNDTRACK for each character saved on my computer for different situations. I even shamelessly share them when I'm rping with people in game and they're on skype, just to show what mood I'm setting. I think its a fun step and makes the rp feel that much more awesome!

2. I usually try to remain constant with injuries in rp. I might go a step too far, like once my character had a spinal injury and was actually paraplegic for a few days until a skilled healer saw him. But like, in the even of lesser injuries, I do like remaining consistent with them, at least until a healer gets you patched up. Say like, with a leg injury, I might have the /walk turned on and I probably wont be jumping around.

3. Rping solo is fun to see and is a passive way to let people know you are available to rp with. It also makes the world feel more real, in my opinion. LIke if I go into the Quicksand and sit at a vacant table I'll often make emotes over time that my character might be eating something or reading a book. It's a fun way of letting people know you're an rper and maybe looking for someone to interact with!

4. Initiating "God Mode" isn't very fun if you do it out of the blue. But of course, there are events in movies, anime, or comics where a character will tap into that secret power and make a powerful display of awesome. Usually I've only done it around friends and very rarely if I even do it at all (most of my characters aren't really very powerful). In the event that you want to go God Mode, its good to send the other players you're rping with a /tell to ask if it would be okay. You don't have to spoil it, but as long as it's within the game lore and falls within reason with the Final Fantasy genre, it should be okay. Just try not to overdo it; a lot of times God Mode is best saved for future rp if you're character is capable of doing things like that. Like, if you just met someone, and you run into trouble, you can't just pop God Mode right then in there. I like to pretend, when I rp, I do so with a studio audience watching. If I pull out God Modes all the time or right off the bat, sure it's cool at first, but then there's no tension or surprise for the future, because the audience will expect it. Such things, even in single player games, happened only every once in a while or only once at all, like with Tellah's Meteor spell from FFIV. Do have fun, but remember to make it fun for everyone you are rping with. They have well-written characters too~ Moogle

I hope I had some good information! And have fun~ I hope to see you in game sometime, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need someone to rp with~