Hydaelyn Role-Players
Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=6855)

Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-05-2014

Zhavi didn't often leave Limsa Lominsa's main city proper. There usually wasn't a reason to. It was easy to arrange for there not to be a reason to, which she often did; the scrubby plains and animal life outside of the city were something she disdained. She, a city girl, a gutterborn and slums-dweller didn't like to think of herself as fearing most things, but something about the flat land and endless openness of La Noscea got under her skin. The city was easy to understand, with its dizzying heights and numerous bridges -- was it so strange to feel the pulsing life within its iron and stone bound walls, and yet see only death on the plains? Zhi didn't think so. She didn't love the city, but she was a part of its bones. Every time she left it she felt as if she left some protective shell behind her, and was left raw and exposed. Yeah, okay, and the something-closely-related-to-fear.

It was with that unease in her that Zhi had left the main city proper so early in the morning that it could have been mistaken for the previous night. It was one of the few ways she could stand being outside of the city, under the comforting presence of the moon. She'd girded herself with her day-use knife and a dagger she'd kept for years; she wasn't formerly trained in the proper martial use of either, but she sure as shit weren't afraid to stab someone should the chance and the need arise. The only precious life she counted was her own.

Took her ten minutes to reach Moraby Drydocks, and in that time she'd already convinced herself twice over that her latest scheme was a mistake and a stupid idea all the same. Too bad she'd never known how to go backwards. Forward was the only direction Zhi'd ever been able to move in, even when it'd meant making mistakes. Maybe this was another one. Maybe this was one that'd finally take her down. Tch. She finally settled in the back of Naldiq & Vymelli's, sat herself on the bench with the view of the lumberyard. Captain Tyriont Gaidal was known to frequent both locations, and sure enough this was the only place she was like to see him that wouldn't be under the sun's glare in the next several hours. Seemed like she was always waiting like that, for some mark or another to make an appearance, for some recipient of shady goods or messages to relieve her of her burdens.

Today was different. She'd settled her other tasks, knowing she was taking a risk. Might cause bad blood, if she weren't careful. Might need to lie low, if she was seen going about this task. Might get her killed.

Somehow, it was that risk that'd drawn her to it in the first place. She hated risking her life, hated facing down men and women who wouldn't give a lick if she was floating face-down in the docks the next day, but somehow it was always what she lived for, always what she craved. She couldn't get enough of her own life. Piss on anyone who thought to scorn her for it.

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Tyriont - 04-10-2014

Tyriont grumbled to himself bitterly as he made his way towards the lumberyard. Too bloody early. Too bloody hung over. Still, the Flame needed repairs and it was his responsibility to put in the order. He paused for a moment, turning towards the dock and facing the sea and took a deep breath with a smile. Nothing like a fresh sea breeze to make him feel better. A beak nuzzled into his neck and he reached up to scratch his chocobo's neck affectionately. The bird was strapped into a harness attached to a decently sized cart, which would soon be loaded with a supply of lumber imported from Gridania and hauled off to the other end of the Drydocks where the Phoenix Flame was at port.

"Alright, Tyrone. Alright. I'll cheer up. C'mon, sooner we get this over with, sooner we can find us some breakfast, eh?" Tyrone let out a happy 'wark', prompting a grin from the pirate. Turning from the ocean the two resumed their path, the empty cart letting out a soft clack as the wheels passed over gaps in the stone pathway. Before long the short figure of the Yardmaster Yulgi Honalgi came into view, busily barking orders at his crew. "Hoi, Honalgi!" Tyriont barked at the man. "Here t'pick up my order!" The Lalafell nodded in the direction of a small pile of well-cut lumber off to the side of the yard. Shaking his head and quietly grumbling about how he should have known better than to expect any help loading the wood, Tyriont set about the arduous task of loading up the cart.

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-10-2014

Zhavi didn't particularly like chocobos. They were fine from afar, but close up they were. . .intimidating. It wasn't that she wasn't used to people being larger than her, but that was just it -- chocobos were not people. They were unpredictable, they smelled (rich, coming from her), and they left their shit everywhere. So, Zhi approached Gaidal from the direction opposite the chocobo. She strode with purpose, not taking any measures to hide her presence or that she approached him; the only sign that she was anything other than some grunt in the 'yard was the grimace the sun always pulled from her. And morning was, somehow, the worst time of the day. Even worse than high afternoon. Hours stretched ahead of them that would be filled with sunlight and heat, and Zhi didn't care for either.

Shouldn't pirates have a lazier schedule? Ugh.

"Cap'n Gaidal," she said as she approached, lifting her hand in greeting. She wasn't exactly a striking figure: her form was slight (scrawny, actually), and her skin showed the weathering of someone who has spent time in the streets. Scabs, scars and messy, wind-tangled hair were a norm for Zhi, and she bore them with the hard resolution of one who has accepted her status in life. Her expression was pleasant in a way, the kind that claimed neither friendship nor antagonism. "If ye've time, I've news that might catch yer fancy, seein' as it has bearin' on yer. . .reputation in th'shite side o'town."

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Tyriont - 04-23-2014

Tyriont cocked his head at the new arrival, curious. He hadn't been expecting anyone to approach him out here, certainly not at this ungodly hour. He lifted his own hand in a mimic of the girl's own greeting as he took her in. Dirty, bedraggled, probably more lice than hairs...he noted that she lacked the dejected spirit that many of those he tried to help carried with them, though. No, this one was used to life's hardships and had clearly adjusted to them instead of lamenting her lot. She knew him...it remained to be seen if that were a good thing or no.

"Mornin', lass. Always interested t'hear the current word...especially when it concerns me an' mine. You've got me at a disadvantage though...you clearly know my name, but I've not a clue as to yours. Who is it I've got the pleasure of?"

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-23-2014

"Call me Kink," she said, tail curving around her hip. The tip waved back and forth at Gaidal before dropping back behind her.

It was morning. Zhavi hardly saw the need to reaffirm that sorry fact. "Ye want I should be spillin' me bag here, or ye wantin' it at less open a place?" She took a step closer and lowered her voice. "I'd be wantin' a place less open, meself."

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Tyriont - 05-06-2014

He grinned to himself slightly at her name. He didn't believe for a moment that it was real, but it clearly indicated that whoever she was - or whoever had sent her - they had done their research well. Another cursory glance over her lead to the determination that she was likely here of her own volition, as anyone who was aiming to lure him into something would likely have sent someone...cleaner to work her wiles on him. Still, she was doing her best and it wouldn't do to hurt the girl's feelings.

"Someplace less open works for me, love. 'course, I've got to be getting this back to the Flame." He kicked the side of the cart. "You're welcome t'come along with me if you wish. Not far, just docked on the other side o' the port. If you're not the trustin' sort though, when we get there I can pass the load off to one of my crew an' then we can go wherever you like. Oschon's Torch should be nice an' secluded, if that'd work."

RE: Risks Worth Taking [Closed] - Zhavi - 05-07-2014

Zhi's lips tightened, though only for a moment, at the mention of Oschon's Torch. She looked Tyriont up and down, and then nodded with some cheer. "I'll meet ye at th'Torch, then." Hand lifted in a casual farewell, she turned and walked away from him.

Another day, another job she would have accompanied him to his ship if only to make sure he didn't slip her grasp, but there were more reasons to be cautious in his company than not. She didn't want to be seen with him any longer than was necessary -- even if that meant walking under the blazing sun to a place out in the middle of nowhere without the solidity of buildings at her back and roads under her feet. Aie, she hated being out of the city. Always made her feel like she was going to be caught flatfooted.

Without dawdling, she wound up at the Torch with more than enough time to spare. More waiting. Hopefully it would be time well spent, but that would depend on Tyriont -- and her own ability to sell the information she had for him.