Hydaelyn Role-Players
Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=6762)

Pages: 1 2

Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 03-26-2014

Spring had brought with it wind from the ocean, and its usual bursts of rain. It was the only time Limsa Lominsa was ever cleaned, her excesses leaked back down to the ocean in muddy fits and spurts. The ocean was a tireless receptacle for the city's waste. That was a fact. It was common to see bloated bodies nudging their way down city canals and between the various islands, bumping into docks until the Yellowjackets fished them out or the tide swept them away. Spring was a good time to shed the smell of death and rot that hung over the lower tiers of the city even at the best of times.

Zhavi hardly noticed it any more. It'd never been about noticing death. Rather, avoiding it was the real ticket. Any scrag worth a day's worth of labor knew that. Best to let the poor lifeless sods seek their worth with Nald'thal, and spare them the shame of acknowledging their ultimate ends. So, Zhavi nudged the chewed off finger aside with her foot, over to the gutter where the rain would sweep it away. She didn't even bother to wonder what had gotten to the poor blighter, or if by some chance the finger belonged to someone yet living. It was pale and nasty, half-heartedly chewed up and left alone as if even the vermin couldn't stomach it.

Her attention, so quickly distracted, was misplaced. She caught the clothes thrown at her by her erstwhile companion -- if she could be called that -- out of reflex. Bad luck to look away during dealings, but godsspit it was so sunny out. Sunny and sprinkling, as if Azeyma had seen fit to lift her skirts and daintily piss all over all of them. Poxy harlot. Seemed like something she'd a mind to do, make no mistake. Zhi looked back up to said companion, the only other occupant in the alley, and didn't bother to hide her smirk.

"Y'hirin' me t'play maids'n'bedchambers with ye, Mink? Di'n't think it in ya." Zhi's smirk transformed itself into a leer.

The rejection was swift and expected. Mink had always been inscrutable, the sort of Hyur woman who had any number of lovesick paramours chasing after her whilst pretending disinterest. She was confident, and capable, and that made her an attractive catch. "Our arrangement," Mink said.

Zhi pouted. "'Ere I was thinkin' you 'n' me'd gotten 'round to launching, sweeting."

Mink's stare said it all.

"Right then, I'll shove off since yer less wobsy'n a empty chamberpot."
"Sennight."
"Keep yer gil warm for me, honey-pot, cuz I'll be back t'keep it company like we promised. In a sennight."

Zhi's pockets already weighed heavier for her run-in with Mink. The woman paid well, for all she was only someone's grunt. Whose, Zhi wasn't asking. She'd tracked back to two other grunts, and then been ever-so-politely discouraged by three pairs of fists and a few boots besides. She'd taken it on the chin, as it went, and kept to her place. No matter that, she'd new bridges to cross. She parted ways with Mink, heading for an inn for a wash and a quick change into her new clothes. She had gil to earn.

Dusk was a relief. Zhavi didn't even pretend to understand Miqo'te of the Keepers who strove -- or pretended -- to be legitimate businessmen. Far as she was concerned all the real dealings went down soon as Azeyma started to bugger off. Daytime was an insult, and a pain besides, so after a few days trailing a daytripping businessman she was starting to wonder how she'd been so cockered as to think it was a good idea in the first place. Had she been told the mark was a daytripper? She squinted, considering. No. Probably not. She should make it a point to start asking. Not that she'd the luxury of refusing good-paying tickets, but it was the point of the matter, and that was that she was night's creature through and through. Not some churl like Naoh'to Mujuuk, fresh heir of Reid Trading Company. Well, not so fresh. That piece of business was old news.

Zhi had kept up with him, even before he'd become one of her problems. One of many. He was just a sidejob, really, not even the best paying -- but gil was gil. Asides, his little spat with Ruarc Ferigen was enough to set the lower city alight with gossip, and she'd made it a point to keep fresh enough to lure in a job or two. Yeah, so she'd known the sod was a daytripper. So what. Wasn't no reason not to blame her employer as was proper. It was always the employer's fault, and that was fact.

Mujuuk was moving again. She pulled herself out of her reverie and waited a few beats, tailing him with a subtlety that was her pride and joy. Mebbe he'd do something entertaining and stave off her boredom, for once.

Yeah, and chocobos would push out gil turds.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Jaliqai - 03-27-2014

[[ OOC: Looong post incoming, haha! ^^; Sorry, I got started writing and had trouble stopping.. ]]

A thick blanket of heavy, aromatic smoke hunt in the air of the gambling hall tucked neatly away in some non-descript corner of Limsa Lominsa. It wasn't a large room, by any means;  five or six tables at most, by Naoh'to's count, some more populated than others. In fact, the table that he himself had settled in at was only occupied by one other man, a middle-aged Midlander gent nursing a glass of amber liquor and a pipe in equal measure as he stared down at the dice strewn across the table in front of him. It was hard to gauge just how invested he really was, what with the mixed signals sent by his glassy stare and just low long he'd been sitting there, humming in consideration.

"I've seen a few stellar Twelves' Dice tactics in my day, but I do believe this is the first time I've seen someone try to win by boring their opponent to death," Nao finally groaned, slouching down in the plush velvet seat. "Lover's Teats, Gustav.. All you have to do is hold the dice or re-roll, or would you like to usher in the Seventh Astral Era first?"

"Patience, boy. The best plans ain't always the quickest," The man murmured, seemingly unmoved by the complaints. He didn't even look up. "Or did ol' Balon neglect ta' teach ya' that?" This time, his gaze did move up -- just in time to catch the brief hint of displeasure on the Keeper's face. 

Just as quickly as the sour look had come, it was replaced with a charming smirk at the approach of one of the hostesses. Well, if they could truly be called that.. Lapwarmers and whores with a taste for the finer things in life and a wider vocabulary than their common kin, more like, but that didn't stop Nao from greeting the familiar long-legged elezen woman with his infamous charm as soon as he noticed her.

"Giselle!" He crooned, taking his eyes away from the table and offering up a hand towards the woman, "As beautiful as ever! You're far more pleasing to the eyes than my friend here, thankfully.. And likely at least twice as bright, if his dice playing is any indication."

"And I come with wine," The woman purred back as she took his hand and allowed him to gently pull her down into his lap without complaint, carefully placing the dark bottle that she had brought down on the table in front of her. "Courtesy of my boss.. a gift for your continued patronage."

Naoh'to let out his own soft hum of consideration as he reached out, taking the bottle in hand and turning it to read the label. His eyebrows lofted at the sheer quality of the vintage. For such a small gambling hall as this, it was a lavish gift for the proprietor to be giving. That only meant one thing:  his business dealings with the owner had went quite well, without interruption. More than the wine, that big of news had that self-satisfied grin on Nao's lips growing wider. With all the stress and.. troubles he'd been running into lately, a touch of good luck was exactly what he had needed.

"That's certainly very kind of him," He purred, wrapping his free arm around the woman's thin waist to pull her closer, "Though I would've much preferred you, Sweetling."

The jarring sound of dice clattering against the wooden table pulled Naoh'to's attention back to the game. A moment of silence hung between them as all three watched the dice settle -- Giselle, only with feigned interested -- before the older man nodded. "Two pair," The hyur stated, looking just as uninterested as before. "Well, boy..? Y'mean to bed 'er right 'ere an' now, or shall we get on with it?"

"And now you're the impatient one? Gods, how Balon ever enjoyed your company, I'll never understand." Nao scowled at him before dropping his eyes back to the dice on the table, surveying them with cool, calculated interest. Gustav was right - he was looking at two pair. But there was still one die left to roll, and if that die came up Menphina.. He'd secure himself an Umbral flush, one of the highest hands.

"I'll raise, fifty gil." Gustav pushed the short stack of coins across the table. Nao looked up at him briefly, studying his face before giving his own bet.

"Two hundred."

The mention of coin had Giselle's renewed interest, pulling her attention back to the game and putting a puzzled look on her face. Gustav only looked mildly surprised. "You're raisin' two hunnerd gil on a chance fer a godsdamned umbral flush?" He asked aloud, cocking an eyebrow.

"What can I say?" Nao smirked. "I'm feeling lucky today. So.. call or fold, friend?"

"Oh, I'll call alright. Ain't no better gil than easy gil." 

After Gustav pushed the gil across the table to join the rest, Naoh'to snatched up the last die lying to the side. He shook it lightly in his hands before paused, opening his fingers, and holding it up to Giselle with a grin. "A lover's kiss for the Lover herself?" The elezen laughed daintily before pressing her lips to the twelve-sided die in a light kiss, and Naoh'to finally cast it. It seemed ages before the die settled -- on Azeyma.

"Hoo!" The hyur hooted, the first real excitement for the game he'd shown all evening. "Three pair, and chocobo's shite fer you!" His hands went out to hastily gather up his winnings, while Naoh'to watched with a deep scowl.Giselle only clucked her tongue piteously, shaking her head.

"I thought the Lover was supposed to be the Keepers' guardian goddess?" She sighed, gently disentangling herself from his arms and sliding free of his lap. Typical harlot -- gone like the wind, just as soon as the money's gone. Yet before she left, she turned and leaned over to leave a sympathetic kiss on his cheek.. and discretely slip a note into his hand. "Better luck next time." With a smile, she was gone, off to entertain another table of men with cards. Yet as much as the loss of his precious gil and armcandy stung, it paled in comparison to the contents scrawled onto the parchment paper in his hand.

-----------------------------------------------

[Two hours later.]

Nao looked one last time at the piece of paper he held in his hands, scowling at the contents before crumbling it up in his hand and shoving it into his pocket. The bottle of wine from earlier was tucked under his other arm and in a white-knuckled grip as he rounded one last streetcorner, giving only a brief look over his shoulder before ducking into a small, hidden away alley. It didn't take long to spot the man that he had been asked to meet. As soon as his eyes landed on him, Naoh'to's pace picked up, bringing him right in front of him.. and the much larger Roegadyn man hovering just behind him. Was the man really afraid of him, so much as to hire a bodyguard? Somehow, the thought was less pleasing to him and more infuriating.

"You think a bottle of wine will make me happy?" He spat in a hushed but angry tone at the nervous-looking hyur, upper lip curling back into a snarl. "Gods take you and your damn wine, Sighard!" He sharply thrust the bottle forward against the man's chest, making him give a nervous start and the surly-looking Seawolf perk up. But before the roegadyn could even speak, the other man lifted a hand to dismiss it.

"I.. I'm sorry, Mr. Mujuuk. I just can't keep doing business with you is all," He tried to explain, weakly at that. Naoh'to watched as the man turned into a prattling mess right in front of him, chattering endlessly about 'risks' and 'enemies' and his business. Finally, not giving him time to finish, the Keeper broke in.

"How much did Ferigen pay you?" He asked pointedly. When the man trailed off, his expression slowly transformed from surprise to fear again. His mouth opened, moving but without words. Impatiently, Nao thumped him in the chest again. "Speak up, Sighard! If my competitor is buying off my associates, I'd at least like the courtesy of knowing how much he's paying!"

No words came, still. At length, he spoke in a wavering tone, his voice barely above a whisper. "He.. p-paid me nothing.." Naoh'to stared blankly for a moment before it seemed to set in, prompting him to lean forward slightly and give the other man a more scrutinizing look clearly demanding further information. "He only said that.. if I kept associating with you, there would be consequences. He'd take the hall, and.. my girls, he said he..." A long, telling pause. "You understand, don't you? As a businessman? Without the hall and my girls, I don't have anything.."

Sucking in a sharp breath, Naoh'to reached up to pinch the bridge of his nose, fending off the burgeoning headache from the encounter. So, Ruarc was buying off his associates with threats now? After Naoh'to had already had to offer them more money than normal to keep them loyal? Truly, this situation was a pain in his ass.

"Fine. Fine." He finally relented, dropping his hand and holding it out instead. "But as I recall, you still owe me my gil from that last shipment." His hand remained, even as the seconds ticked on and Sighard grew more and more nervous. When no payment was offered, the picture became clear. Ferigen had not only threatened his associate and cut off that tie, but he'd taken the profits as well. That snarl was back with a vengeance. "If you lost the money, then -- pray tell, dear Sighard -- how did a mediocre gambling hall owner get his hands on such a pricey vintage?" The unintelligible babbling began again, though the Keeper quickly cut him off. "Speak!"

"Mr. Ferigen.. asked me to deliver it to you.." At Naoh'to's clearly displeased stare, he quickly launched back into his simpering. "I just thought.. thought you might not appreciate it if I just told you.. I wasn't meaning to lie. I just.."

"Leave!" He spat, "You and your damned bodyguard, both!" Sighard lingered for a moment longer, as if he was intent to continue pleading. But after studying the infuriated look on the Keeper's face, he finally moved to leave the alley without further protestation. The roegadyn gave Nao one last look before following after his employer, leaving him alone in the alleyway.

Naoh'to watched Sighard retreat, waiting until a long moment after he'd turned the corner before taking the bottle of wine in his hand and angrily tossing it to the ground. A vintner's worst nightmare, surely, but the man would've rather drank a pint of goblin piss before giving Ruarc the smug satisfaction of enjoying his little 'gift'. Angry curses were muttered under his breath as he paced back and forth in a tight circle, arms crossing over his chest.

What now? It would only be a matter of time before his other associates would likely receive similar offers, if they hadn't already. And there was no doubt that they'd turn their backs on him. After all, they couldn't be that hard to buy.. It hadn't taken much for Nao to take most of them off of Ferigen in the first place. Matching money was one thing, though, but violence.. That was another matter entirely, and a path that he was certain would have Balon turning over in his grave. There had to be some other way. He just had to be clever enough to find it..

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 03-27-2014

A bottle of wine would make Zhi happy. Wait. No. . . no it wouldn't make her happy, but it would ease her current and ongoing suffering. She'd wedged herself into an alcove further up the wall, once home to a lamp fixture before the building's formerly well-to-do owner had abandoned it to age and a less caring new owner. She'd had to curl awkwardly around the thing, and dig her feet into the sides to prevent herself from slipping out, but they would only be able to catch sight of her if they looked up and stared hard at the exact right spot. Say what you would about Limsa Lominsa's habit of overdone architecture, the constantly evolving styles of the tower city were incredibly useful for spying on others. However, her feet hurt, so there was that.

As the two men progressed in their discussion she leaned back, not bothering to try to watch them (leaning out would only increase her chances of getting caught or falling, neither of which would be pretty). She listened instead, pulling her tail around to deal with the itching that'd bothered her all night. Sure enough she started finding movement -- lice, again, after she'd just had a purge -- and one by one she crushed them between her fingers as she found them. Not that it would matter; they bred faster than rabbits, but it made her feel better to kill them individually.

The conversation took a turn, and her attention was caught away from the ongoing problem of lice. Ferigen was openly taunting Mujuuk now? There was an interesting bit of information. Curiosity caught, Zhi jutted her head forward a hair and opened her mouth, dragging air over the scent-organs in the roof of her mouth. Unfortunately, she was a storey over the three men, and the current of air through the alley wasn't cooperating. She got a hit of vomit and cheap vendor food, alongside fish and seawater, and closed her mouth with a snap. What a pain. Her stomach roiled, and she leaned back into the alcove with a grimace. Sighard sounded like he was all nerves, but Zhi couldn't help but wonder. Was Mujuuk considered a threat, or was Ferigen just batting at the Keeper before he planned to slap him down? Zhi didn't have enough information, and for someone playing her own part in the game that was dangerous.

The two men left, leaving Mujuuk in the alley. There was the sound of glass against stone. Zhi winced, hoping the bottle hadn't cracked; she'd rescue it from its fate given the first opportunity. In the meantime, she tallied up her own problems as she listened to Mujuuk pace around, not sure if he was doing something or just blowing off adrenaline. It would help if she could smell what was going on, rutting wind being a fickle prick as usual. She turned her thoughts back towards business, and resumed picking lice from her tail.

She could split Brindle's watch on dockside rumors while she tailed Mujuuk, but that would leave more holes in her net. She needed more informers -- and that was something she'd have to take care of after dear little Mujuuk'd had enough of his tantrum and gone to bed.

The time for her to make her move would be soon, but she would need to be prepared. If she played it right she would be able to make money off the top of the job by careful dispersal of her knowledge, but it wouldn't do to fall behind in other areas and find herself caught out.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Jaliqai - 03-31-2014

Naoh'to's pacing slowly winded down, as did the angry black-and-forth lashing matched by his tail. His steps left in at the edge of the small, dark purple-colored puddle of wine spilling out into the street and slowly filling out the cracks in the cobblestones. His mismatched eyes fell to the puddle to watch it absently as his mind turned, the agitation he was feeling making it particularly hard to try and find a clear course of action. 

Part of him just wanted to find a nice little piece of steel to drive between the man's ribs, though the more dominantly logical and reasonable side of him knew that wasn't an option. It was too messy. No doubt, there were other people that knew of the problems between himself and Ferigen by now. Over the weeks that it had started to escalate, ever since Nao had made the decision to make a venture into the business of the trade and distribution of the Gridanian drug most often called the Lover's Embrace. What had started out as the typical showboating and business positioning that was common in their trade had gradually become less subtle and less business-like over time.

If Ferigen was now actively threatening Nao's associates and buyers.. Well, no doubt if the man turned up shived in some seedy Lominsan backalley, all hands would immediately be pointing back at him to disinvolve themselves from the ordeal. People in his line of work, especially the smaller fry, weren't particularly loyal when the authorities came to sniff around. If there wasn't a profit to be made in keeping their mouth shut, whether that was the profit of coin or keeping their lives, then names and details tended to flow like ale at the Wench under the right amount of pressure.

As he was mulling it over whilst staring down at the cracked wine bottle, a thought suddenly occured to the Keeper, striking him with enough certainty and clarity that he wasn't sure how he hadn't seen it much earlier. He needed to find the crack in Ferigen's operations. No doubt, given that the man had been running the business for years now, he far exceeded Naoh'to in terms of experience and knowledge. But that was another flaw - lack of healthy competition for so long. Surely, if the man hadn't had to worry about competing with other traders in years, there was a crack somewhere along the line.

Such was the kind of information that Naoh'to knew he wasn't going to be able to find on his own. He was a smoothtalker, but he wasn't one of the couple handfuls of secret peddlers sneaking and skulking their way through Limsa. Quite the opposite, really. He'd made himself well-known enough now that if he started to poke around too much himself, those very same spies would be all over selling his business to Ferigen for a pretty little gil or two. Thus, the plan would fall apart - the crack would be fixed, if one were ever found, and he would be back at square one.

A smirk suddenly came to his lips as he nudged the slowly leaking bottle with his foot, running through his thought process one last time before he would start off to find who he needed to find. Though, naturally, before he left, Nao was sure to spit in the spilt wine for good measure. A worthless gesture, but a satisfactory one nonetheless.

After leaving the alley, it didn't take long for him to find exactly who he had been looking for. On the docks, in front of a newly unloaded ship, a few shoddy, makeshift shopfronts had been set up with the would-be 'merchants' trying to unload as much of the unaccounted for merchandise as possible. Stolen and smuggled goods, mostly.. People trying to make more coin by doing their dirty work themselves, without the help of people like Naoh'to. Though he had no illwill for them.. After all, most ended up shut down or with confiscated goods if the Yellowjackets caught wind of it. And with the publicity of it all, buyers were hard to come by.

As he passed the man at the pier's edge, the lookout, Naoh'to gave him a knowing nod before continuing on his way unharried. The man he was truly looking for was much further down the walkway, and when he briefly caught his eye, the Lalafellin man leaned back against one of the many crates did his best to look as if he hadn't noticed him. Only when Nao came in much closer and took up the spot next to him, leaning back against the crate's edge, did he speak up.

"Didn't think you were wont to hang around this part of town." He didn't look up, head turned to survey the rest of the dock even as the daylight dwindled and some began to pack up their things. "You're making these honest merchants nervous, you know."

"Hah, would that such a thing existed.. The day I meet any honest merchant is the day that Dalamud falls a second time."

"They don't like it much when one of the big players comes down to the docks. Makes them think you're plotting something and they're in your way.. And with your business lately, can't say I much blame them." Finally, the much shorter man looked up at him. "Might not be that this is the safest place for you. People get antsy real easy."

"I don't plan on staying long enough to cause a scene, Yayabuko," Nao sighed. "I need you to find someone for me."

"Who?"

"I don't know. If I knew who, do you think I would be coming to you?"

"Fine." The Lalafell looked away again, turning his attention back down the dock. "What do you need?"

"I need someone with a good set of eyes and ears. Someone with a bigger love of coin than they have a fear of Ruarc Ferigen."

Yayabuko didn't speak for a long moment, clearly debating the situation. Naoh'to had known the Dunesfolk man long enough, albeit only as Balon Rein's apprentice until more recently, to know that he was trying to find a way to best twist the situation to put more money into his own pockets. Typical for a man born and raised in Ul'dah. Before he even spoke, Nao was reaching down to his coinpurse and giving it a reassuring pat. The sound of coins clinking together seemed to loosen the other's lips a bit.

"Four times what I usually charge," he finally stated.

"Four times your price? How hard can it be to find someone to do a little poking around for a very handsome reward?" Naoh'to's upper lip pulled back in a scowl, ears pressed flat back and tail flicking in annoyance. There was little he disliked more than paying what he perceived to be too much for something.

"Word is that Ferigen is getting bolder. This person you're wanting me to find, might be that they find no value in winding up floating alongside the docks if things go belly-up. It'll take double to find someone brave enough. The rest? That's as much as I'll need to make it worth my time, trying to find this person of yours."

"Fine," He grunted, pulling his coinpurse from his belt and tossing it over to the other. By his count, after the losses at the gambling hall, it should've been just enough to cover half of it at least. "The rest you'll have when I have my eyes and ears, understand? And if I'm paying four times the price, I expect four times the speed. You've got until tomorrow at sundown - have them meet me at the usual place."

"Pleasure doing business with you." The man paused slightly before nodding his chin in the direction of a small group of men a bit further away. "Best be running along. That lot has been watching you the entire time, and that Highlander's hand hasn't left his knife. Like I said, folk get real antsy."

"Duly noted," he muttered, looking over at the group from the corner of his eyes. Just as he'd said, they were talking hushedly amongst themselves and eyeing him with no uncertain amount of suspicion. Giving Yayabuko a parting nod, Naoh'to stuffed his hands down in his pockets and turned to make his exit from the dock. It wasn't a pleasant feeling, leaving all his money in the hands of that little Lalafellin thief, but at least he knew that by tomorrow, he would have exactly what he needed.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 03-31-2014

Zhi slid out from her position in the niche and half climbed down before dropping to the alley below. Mujuuk was gone, and the overpowering stench of spilt wine covered most of the lingering scents of the men who'd just been in there. Was it too much to ask that quality wine came in quality bottles, able to survive a teeny little fall? Zhi scowled down at the cracked bottle in disgust, unwilling to attempt to salvage anything for herself with her job on the line. Time was taken to get another proper sniff of the alley, and this time she got hits on all three of the men. Faint, already mixing into the other overpowering smells of the city, but good enough to know the moods of them. Sighard had been nervous, aye, but he wasn't afraid. And what'd that say about Ferigen, that Mujuuk's own considerable pull on the weight of his inherited company rattled the man in the middle so little? It certainly didn't put Zhi at ease. Sure, she knew the value of Ferigen on the street. Everyone knew that when it came to Lover's Embrace, Ferigen was the supplier. While there were certainly others who could, on a theoretical level, wrest it from him, there was a cost to that none of them were willing to pay. Sometimes profits were better left as they were than to risk stirring up the mud and having something unexpected bite your hand off. Asides, the Yellowjackets weren't like to sit on their duffs and let some misplaced turf war spill out of the careful balance that had been achieved over the years. Tampered with profits, such things did.

Couldn't have that.

Zhi kicked the bottle, tail lashing in a concerted agony of itchiness. The bottle spun, wine splashing the street, and hit the wall with a satisfactory crack. Zhi left off thinking about the possibilities and drifted after Mujuuk, more conscious than ever of the stipulations of her job. She needed to know about Sighard, about all the men and women who'd pulled support from Mujuuk, and what exact bait Ferigen held that made them so confident of their choice. What's more, she wondered why she had been approached for such a job; was she being used as a prod? Was it because she was unknown, or just expendable?

Tonight's gig was the first time she'd seen Mujuuk meet with one of his ex-business partners in the few days she'd followed him. It changed her perception of the job. It changed how she regarded the amount she'd been offered, the silky promise of bonuses and extra gil. Whoever had ordered the job done had expected it to turn sour, and had left the promise of gil as a means to keep the churl interested. And she'd just walked right into it, stupid as could be, and now that she was in it. . .she choked down the giggle as she tailed Mujuuk, keeping her humor and her jeers at herself inside her own head.

As Mujuuk approached the makeshift market at the docks, Zhi split off from him to approach the lookout -- a scrag she'd plenty of interaction with -- to keep herself off Mujuuk's peripheral. Once he'd stopped moving down the walkway she broke off the conversation to go browse what was leftover, stopping a woman from packing up her goods to give them a good looksee. She wasn't able to catch all of what Mujuuk said to Yayabuko, but she got the gist of it. She knew the sound of gil when she heard it, and could all but smell the opportunity knocking. Her employer could get wrecked; if they were reeling her sideways then that gave her leeway to go the other way; she'd rather zig and be kicked around for disobedience on someone else's coin then zag and be killed.

As Mujuuk walked off, Zhi leaned in close to the woman and slipped the gil and a little extra over, taking one of the pieces and slipping it down her shirt to fall into the pocket formed by the rope belt tied at her hips. The woman nodded, bit her lower lip, and watched someone moving behind Zhi as she whispered instructions. The woman's fingers drummed twice next to the offered gil, and Zhi reluctantly piled a few more. It swiftly disappeared, and the woman's head turned, still watching something, then she nodded and sat back.

"Yer th'best, Chirp."
"Sod off," Chirp said, "an' lay off the booze. You smell a right drunkard, you do."

Zhi reached out and ruffled Chirp's hair before dancing back and away before retaliation could be meted out.

"Scrag!" Chirp yelled half-heartedly as Zhi turned and walked to Yayabuko.

"I needs a favor," she said as she sidled up to the man, settling into a crouch in front of him.
"Gods above," he muttered.
Zhi adopted a hurt expression.
He glared back.
She made a face. "Yer right cruel, Yayi."
"Don't call me that."
"Then lemme at least give ye a name."
"For what?"
"Th'coin that jes' passed over."

Yayabuko went silent, his stare appraising as he looked at her properly. She returned his scrutiny with earnestness, which he dismissed with a shake of his head. They'd a turn or two in the past, they had. Enough that he took her seriously, and enough to consider if dealing with her would be beneficial to him. She let him think, knowing better herself than to ply him with patter while he considered. That was one of the best ways to put him off.

"I'm listening," he said. Finally.
"Yer t'look fer someone, aye?"
"Yeah. Look, Kink, make it quick. I don't have patience for your buzzing today. You were eavesdropping for some reason, I'm sure, so don't play like I'm stupid."

Zhi held up her hands in placation, a cheeky grin baring her teeth. "Fair. I've a name in mind. Y'keep yer money, and time spent searchin', an' I take a swift stab at some enterprisin' new ideas fer th'man in th'spotlight."
"Big word for you." Yayabuko's snort was derisive.
"Learned it last week, I did. So, that's me favor, an' I'll be pickled if ye grease me ears with some stories 'bout th'tom's dancin' partner."

Gil was hinted at, but not produced.

"Isn't like you," he said.
"There's shine t'be had, spuggie."

"Piss on you," Yayabuko snapped, but considered her words all the same. He sighed. "I've need of introduction to Skarp. She keeps slipping me. I need to talk to her boss." Yayabuko leaned forward, his eyes intent on hers. "Double rates for you, besides, after your last venture."

Zhi considered bartering the price down, but knew by Yayabuko's stare that this was his final offer. So she'd left him in a tight pinch a moon ago, it was water under the bridge -- or should have been. Apparently it wasn't. Not, mind you, that she was surprised. She groaned and rocked back onto her heels. "Stubborn git," she muttered. Gil was passed over to the lalafel, and then Zhi leaned in and whispered a name and a place.

Yayabuko's disgusted expression had her giggling to herself for hours after.

Clove owed Zhavi, which was precisely why it'd been him she'd picked. He was . . . known well enough, by the darker set, for his pretty face and mannerisms. He was too pretty for a hyur man, the exact sort that could get a doxy into trouble. It had, and that was how Zhi had first met him. They'd a cautious sort of understanding ever since, though she'd never asked him for anything until now.

He was clever, the sort who heard many things and kept his mouth shut when he needed to. The sort that, for the right price, could arrive at beneficial arrangement that could be trusted in the short term. She'd considered asking him to keep watch for her, anyhow; it was sheer chance that Mujuuk's movements had set things up so nicely for her. Now all that remained was to earn Mujuuk's approval.

The usual meeting place was a dive on the south end of the lower deck, a semi-permanent fixture that floated slightly to the east of Fisherman's Bottom. It was wedged further back in, out of sight of the tourists and legitimate businessmen, and allowed to persist for some arcane reason that probably had to deal with the exchange of gil and a need to keep the worst of the rifraff out of more popular and acceptable establishments. It was built of wood and steel, chained to the stone it resided next to, and half kept itself afloat while the other half relied upon the chains to keep it from capsizing when business was booming.

It was beloved of gamblers, cutthroats, and all manner of shady individuals. It was understood that you didn't bring marks or grudges there, and as a result had become something of neutral ground for a bevy of the legally disinclined. Hailed as The Highness, Her Highness, or Your Highness depending on who you were talking to, it was a study of faded grandeur. Stained purple drapery shielded customers from the windows, and tacky once-plush rugs kept the floors from being noticeably sticky. The wood used for tables and bar was high quality, but so scarred that it was hard to tell. While Her Highness was kept cleaner than most of its ilk could claim to, the sheer amount of traffic and limited space ensured that by the end of each night it was close to disaster.

Zhi was squished in at the end of the bar, tail wrapped tightly around her hips to avoid any number of unfortunate accidents, and ears flat to discourage any of those she was familiar with from approaching. Clove sat at her back, a yellow armband tied about his upper arm, at the table Yayabuko had reserved. Her Highness was so noisy it was all but impossible to eavesdrop unless you were up the arse of those with business in mind who weren't overly loud.

Now all they needed was Mujuuk to make his appearance.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Jaliqai - 04-02-2014

Her Highness wasn't the sort of place that Naoh'to typically decided the frequent, surprisingly enough. For someone with both hands in the illegal cookie jar, the place had never much appealed to him since he'd first arrived in Limsa Lominsa. Sure, it wasn't the worst establishment out there. At least here, you could generally see the floor for the spilled ale and offal. Also, within the Highness' walls, he didn't have to worry about finding any knives in his back. Honor amongst thieves and all that non-sense, he supposed. 

Still, there was something about the place that he just didn't like, aside from the decided lack of luxury he strove to surround himself with. Perhaps it was the fear that, no matter how much of a 'safe zone' it was, he knew there were always prying eyes and ears. In this city, being careless and trusting others, as he had come to learn, was something that got you killed more often than not. As he was rather fond of living and not planning to make any changes to that in the near future, suffice to say, the place made him anxious.

Yet tradition was tradition, and he knew he would've been hard pressed to find a better place to meet. Most wouldn't have wanted to meet up outside of a neutral place anyway. Even if they had, what sort of message would that send, for Naoh'to to send for them to come join him at one of the city's more lavish establishments? An obvious message, that's what. And he couldn't have that.

With the small piece of parchment paper sent from Yayabuko tucked in his hand, the trader slipped through the crowd and discretely peered around. Finally, he had spotted the table that the man had specified on the paper, as well as the armband. Without making eye contact with anyone else in the establishment, the miqo'te cut a line straight for the table and slipped into the seat opposite of Clove without waiting for invitation.

At first, the man didn't say anything. He only looked casually around to see if there were any particularly noticeable prying eyes, then finally turned back to give the man a long look.

"You're the one?" He asked, confirming, "That Yayabuko sent?" 

OOC..  ||  Sorry it took so long. x.x I swear, adjusting to this work schedule is killing me.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-02-2014

"I am," Clove said. His tone, and his bearing were guarded. He leaned in over the table, keeping his voice below the general din.

Clove wasn't a big man. He stood at five fulms and nine ilms, and slender. It was his aesthetic appeal that allowed him survival, not bulk or strength or any particular strategic bent. His hair was combed but tousled, his clothing neat but made of sturdy fabric. His bearing and looks left little doubt as to his occupation, but should it be in question one but had to look at the piercing in his left ear: it bore the mark of one of the whorehouses that operated in the lower decks, and was his passtoken through the (reasonably) rough parts of town. Scum messed with marked whores at their own risk.

Still, even one such as Clove had agency of his own, and when it came to matters outside the trade he plied, he was left to his own devices. While it was true that the marked didn't typically interfere in matters outside their houses and the districts that housed them, it also wasn't wholly unheard of. What would be of note, should Mujuuk recognize Clove or his mark, was that this was the first time Clove had ever stepped outside of those boundaries to respond to such a strange summons, especially by one orchestrated by such as Yayabuko.

"What would you have of me?"

Naoh'to reclined back in his seat at the answer, arms crossing over his chest with one arm propped upwards to cradle his chin and thoughtfully tap his cheek with his index finger. So, this man was the one.. He was a bit different than the miqo'te had pictured - prettier by at least half, and probably much more recently bathed. Yet there was something else that was even more intriguing to him - that earring.

Those mismatched eyes narrowed slightly as he recalled just how he had recognized it. While normally that was something that Naoh'to would've embraced with open arms, the thought of a whore being his little spy wasn't settling with him as he would've liked. Not to mention the fact that the man would have not only him to answer to, but to his keeper or master or mistress or whoever it was that kept his ilk in line. And damned if a number of those selfsame whorehouses weren't involved in the market of drugs -- he would know, considering he now supplied a fair few of them with the Lover's Embrace. Whether or not the other's superior was involved with Ferigen, though.. That was something he did not know.

The question brought Nao out of his though, though he was still not entirely sure the best way to proceed. The circumstances were definitely unusual. Finally, he leaned forward, crossed arms moving from their place of rest at his chest to instead prop himself against the edge of the table to lean in just a bit further.

"For now, let's say I have need of information about a.. business situation." He was choosing his words carefully. Gods forbid, if things went sour, he wouldn't want to give the man enough information to turn around and sell. "Particularly, information about someone whom I deal with." He trailed off, pausing just long enough to see if he could catch any sort of reaction from the other before continuing.

"But I can't help to be curious.." Now, one of those forearms resting against the table propped up again. His head tilted slightly, just enough so that he could gently tap his own ear in indication. "A marked whore would not be my first choice when it comes to gathering information. Perhaps if I wanted to know how over- or underwhelmingly endowed someone was, but the information I'm looking for is considerably outside of where I would assume your expertise would lie." Again, a pause, if only to see the reaction. That was something that Balon had all but beaten into him during his apprenticeship - that how people reacted, those tiny little tells, were thrice as important as anything they said or did. "Yayabuko is a smart man, and he knows his people well. But I don't. So tell me, will this--" Another tap of the ear. "--be a problem for this arrangement?"

Clove's head tilted to the right at Mujuuk's opening statement, setting his earring to swinging. He was the perfect listener -- was in all probability trained to be -- and gave all indications that he was carefully balancing everything the miqo'te had to say internally, and weighing it. There was a gravitas to the man that proved him as more than just another cheap body used to while away the time.

However, Mujuuk's second statement elicited a hint of surprise from Clove. His eyebrows lifted, and his chin bent inwards for a few seconds. When he lifted his head, he wore a wry smile. "You know that answer as well as I." Clove's voice was pleasant, and cultured: a musical voice, a light baritone that would be pleasant both in conversation and in seduction. Clove was well trained, though he was not of especially high quality in terms of the trade. "But, if I may, there is only so much time allotted me within this life. I am not so highly prized as to be able to spend my twilight years in wealth and comfort, not without building outside connections while I've the chance."

Clove folded his hands on the table. Behind him, Zhavi fidgeted. She was unable to hear their conversation, and that grated, but she'd already put all her gil on Clove. She would have to trust him to do his part, and do it well.

"I am not the sort who gives or receives so many quick thrusts in an alley and has it quits. Those in my standing, those who are marked. . . we are in a unique position to receive from those we have sated. It is discouraged to let these words spill beyond the wall of our keep, and considered a form of betrayal amongst ourselves. Truly, there are those who would consider me unwise for considering this call, much less responding to it. I am intrigued by the opportunity. So much so that I have considered the possibilities, and arranged to forestall potential issues that might arise. I would hope to quell your own concerns with my arrangements, should you still be interested in my use."

Naoh'to couldn't stop the small smirk that was forming on his lips as the other spoke, finding himself pleasantly surprised. So, the man may've had some preconceived notions about whores. After all, he'd bedded a fair enough amount of them to know that a good deal of them weren't the brightest, nor the most composed individuals. But this man was able to take his intentionally impolite comments and not even bat an eye. That was good. Someone who would bristle and break at the first rough patch was a liability. The eloquence and apparent sense of foresight were just added bonuses.

"Making connections? That's most wise, indeed." The white-haired man gave a thoughtful nod, arm gently dropping back to the tabletop. "And it would seem that you have need for discretion as much as I do in this matter. Rest assured, this would be a matter just between the two of us. None will hear a word of your side activities, as long as none hear of mine." Now, that smirk seemed to take on a knowing look. Perhaps the words could be taken as a threat of exposure amongsts the others who were marked, should the other not keep their dealings private. But Naoh'to would've preferred to call it an unspoken agreement -- what happened between them would stay between them. 

Seeming to suddenly remember something else, the man perked up again. "And this word -- use? Let's rephrase. I would prefer to call this a.. mutually beneficial arrangement. You provide me with the information you need, and I'll see that you're rewarded handsomely for the effort. And of course, I have the ears of a number of influential men and women about the city, should you ever want for further connections."

The words and gesture seemed friendly enough. Though he would've been lying to say that it wasn't at least partially an attempt at some subtle manipulation. Balon had taught him long ago that hirelings were much harder to control. The superior-inferior dynamic made for inequalities, which allowed room for perceived wrongdoings on the hireling's behalf, which often times led to disatisfaction and, ultimately, betrayal. 'But call it a partnership,' he had said, 'and suddenly your hirelings will be much more committed. You just have to keep pulling the strings when they aren't watching.'

Perhaps he was wrong to doubt Yayabuko's recommendation initially. The other seemed to have a solid head on his shoulders and decent enough motivations. Who was Naoh'to to turn down someone's aspirations for coin, comfort, and connections? Hells, that may as well have been his own life motto. It was something he could respect. Even if the man was a prostitute, he seemed to have things under control. At length, he gave a decisive nod.

"For starters," he began, looking away briefly yet again as if to check to make sure no one was listening, then continued in a slightly quieter tone. "What do you know of Ruarc Ferigen?"

Clove took in Mujuuk's words, and some of his guardedness bled out of him. His shoulders relaxed, as did his hands on the table. It did not all leave him -- few were those who entered Her Highness who weren't tense in some manner throughout their visit -- but enough did. Perhaps Mujuuk had said something he'd hoped to hear.

At the other's question, his hands tightened their grip upon each other. "He's rough, in more ways than one. Powerful. Connected. Wealthy. A force enough, in Limsa Lominsa, and one none likes giving service to. He controls the lovers, and he's made sure everyone knows it."

'The lovers' was a street euphemism for Lover's Embrace.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Jaliqai - 04-03-2014

When the other seemed to relax a bit, Naoh'to decided to take it as a good sign that his offer of both confidentiality and handsome rewards was well received. Even better, the other man was apparently already familiar with the other trader. That saved him from having to catch him up to speed. Though the subtle tightening of his grip didn't escape his notice. It was one of those little tells he'd been watching for. But while it did pique his curiosity, he didn't pry. Such was extraneous information.

"Correct. Well, partially." That smirk was back again. "His grasp on the stuff has been a bit tenuous as of late. Word has it that there's a new trader that's been winning away some of his customers. Have you heard about this?" Of course, this matter of curiosity, he couldn't quite repress. Besides, he wanted to know if his reputation preceded him. What could he say? He was very much a man of ego.

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-03-2014

"I. . .hadn't," Clove said, his eyebrows drawing down. "If it has been going on for very long, it must be making the tradesmen nervous enough to not want to talk about it. I haven't pried. Asking after business always needs to be done gently, and I'd no reason to."

Few liked to mix work too much with pleasure, not unless they'd cause to vent frustrations. Fear, though, had its own language. Clove examined Mujuuk's expression with care before he tentatively asked, "this new trader, is it said this person is giving Ruarc cause to react?"

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Jaliqai - 04-03-2014

Naoh'to tried his best to not let the disappointment show in his face when the other mentioned that he hadn't heard of this mysterious 'new trader'. Still, there was a very slight fading of his grin. Well, that was a bit of a blow to the ego in a sense. Yet in another, it was a compliment of its own. Granted, a more mature person in his line if work wouldn't have seen it in such a light, but Naoh'to was still very much young and full to the brim with cockiness, despite his mentor's endless attempts to curb it.

"Well, this trader has certainly made a bit of a mess for Ferigen, and he's none too happy about it. Of course, no man would be happy about someone moving in on territory that hasn't been open to contestation in years. Bad for business, you know." Bad if you were on the receiving end, at least. For Naoh'to, even for the relatively shorter amount of time he'd stepped into the business, the margin for profit had been high despite charging a fair deal less than Ferigen.

"Tell me something, and be honest. I'll know if you're not." Bluff? Potentially, but then again, the man had always liked to think he was a good judge of character. "Are you afraid of him? Of Ferigen? No doubt he is a powerful and ruthless man. There are many people in this city that would sooner pack their belongings and rehome themselves in the furthest dunes of Thanalan rather than angering him. I would like to know if you're one of them."

OOC.. ||  Off to bed! Night! c:

RE: Conventional Betrayal [Closed] - Zhavi - 04-03-2014

Clove held Mujuuk's stare before dropping his own. He looked at his hands and rolled them so the backs faced outwards. He flexed his fingers, tapping the edge of his hands against the table. He seemed unaffected by its dubious standards, which didn't suit his tidy appearance. Then again, he had Mujuuk's words to consider, and his own response to give.

"I . . . would not want the man angry at me, personally, it is true," Clove said, speaking each word with care. "However, in this city -- " he snorted "no, in this world, I am nothing better than a whore. Beneath notice. So, I am not afraid of him because to him I do not exist. Better I fear my master, that she does not find me selling secrets. Better to fear my brothers and sisters, that they do not oust me as traitor. It is not a pretty thing to see one of the marked cast from his House. I have the freedom to go where I wish and speak to whom I please, but to betray the customer for my own gain. . .ahh, that is bad for business. This powerful man, he is no different than any other man, not to my situation. So long as I am discreet, there is no problem. That is what is needed, no?"

Clove returned Mujuuk's smile, though his own was rueful. His eyes drifted back up, seeking the miqo'te's own. Some of the guardedness was back, and it showed in his eyes, in the set of his shoulders. He was nervous, the truth of that was found easily enough in the smell of his sweat. He worked past it. There'd been worse situations he'd dealt with; any doxy had any number of such stories to tell. The resolve to keep going was in him, beneath the nerves and the pleasant expression that had been pasted on.