Hydaelyn Role-Players
Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=6482)

Pages: 1 2

Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-25-2014

You receive a strange letter, in a pale blue envelope. The paper seems of a higher quality than you've ever seen the edges fringed in gold leaf, and it is sealed with red wax, bearing the mark of the Sultana. Inside is a cream colored letter, with text written in a beautiful flowing calligraphy.

Greetings Servant of Ul'dah,
Your service to the state has been recognized by the City, the Sultansworn, and Nanamo Ul'namo herself. In the interest of regaining forces after the recent Garlean war, persons of great strength and courage are needed. You, who have proved yourself in Ul'dah's service, are encouraged to formalize your loyalty by joining our most elite, the Sultansworn. This is no small commitment, but word has come to us that you desire to serve the people of Ul'dah and the Sultana more fully. Be warned, in the interest of increasing the prestige of the Order, the trials of joining will be no mere formality. While almost any skilled blade who has done Ul'dah a service may be called free paladin, the Sultansworn hold themselves
to a higher, and more ancient standard. If you wish to pledge yourself to service, and to the safety and security of Ul'dah, please respond to this letter in writing. Your letters will be going to her Grace Nanamo Ul'namo herself, and she will be reading your reasons for joining. Should she approve your request, you will be contacted and given further instructions.

(Feel free to contact me if you have a character interested in going through the trials)

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 02-27-2014

Kage takes the now worn but undamaged letter once more out of its envelope. He has been contemplating it every day since he received it. He knew he was recommended, but he was not sure if he was quite ready. He still knew he had lots to learn and experience with the sword. After all, moving from magic to sword and shield was not the most easiest of transitions. He had been taking the time to learn how to use sword and shield in the fields and dry lands of Thanalan but testing his experience against non-fiends or monsters, he had not. He had only recently received some lessons and tricks from his good friend Natalie, as well as from Roen, whom Nat had introduced to him what felt like a long time ago.

However, this is exactly what he had been trying to achieve. He had been inching closer and closer to what he aspired to and it was being presented to him. He had been given a chance to prove himself. Whether he was considered worthy and skilled was not in his hands anymore, he could only do his best and let the Sultana decide if she would take his oath. He anxiously hoped that she would.

At the very least, he was sure the sixth draft of his letter would fare better than the others. He had spilled ale over his first draft and had lost his second. His nerves broke the quills that he had used over the third and fourth drafts. He had thought he had written a good letter in his fifth draft and he had anxiously sent it to his friend Natalie for her personal and professional opinion as well as her help. He wasn't sure if she had gotten it or if she was, as usual, using this to test and help him grow. It was most likely the latter.

Show Content

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Roen - 03-06-2014

"Another letter for you,kupo!"

Little did Roen know when she took the gold-gilded blue envelope from the mail moogle, the contents it would hold within. She read it thrice before she put it down, disbelief slowly giving way to excitement and trepidation.  

Sultansworn.

The letter was asking her intent to become a Sultansworn - the very reason she came to Ul'dah! How could her answer be anything other than a very enthusiastic Yes? 

Just the smallest bit of pause was given when she sat down to write a formal response, however. Other than the fact that the letter would be read by Her Grace Nanamo Ul'namo, Roen recalled something her friend Nazeru had said. Naz was a Free Paladin, and she was free to follow her heart as long as she held to her Oath. She told Roen that the Sultansworns were instead bound by Oath to the Sultana.

But from all that she had seen of the Sultansworns, Roen believed that the Sultana only had the wellbeing of her people in mind - and her people included her adopted family, the Deneiths, who had saved her life. And she considered herself an Ul'dahn. To serve Ul'dah would be to serve her family, and the people she saw every day.

Her hand was still frozen above the page, unable to begin. It was partly from fear. This letter would be read by Her Grace, Nanamo Ul'namo herself. Roen was never comfortable with the written word, especially since she was not a native to Eorzea. Would she appear overenthusiastic through a clumsy choice of words?

She sought out Natalie first, who answered her with a delighted laugh and an embrace. Her advice was simple: Be honest, and speak from the heart.

Her heart still felt as if it was being constricted by chains of apprehension, however, she could not just write how she felt. This letter needed to be perfect.

Luckily, Roen ran into Siben Farnesworth, who himself boasted that his loquacious nature gave him a robust vocabulary. That was good enoughfor her. He had more than a few fancy words to offer, and she eagerly accepted his help.

Roen sat at the desk within her room in the Quicksand, her eyes scanning the letter she had written in response. It was written with a careful hand. She may not be good in choosing the words, but at least her calligraphy had always had been praised by her teachers. She read the words over again, hearing Siben's voice in them. It sounded intelligent. Highbrow almost. Was it her? 

And was it honest?

Roen paused before signing her name at the bottom. 

She wrote the letter again, from the beginning. 

Show Content

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Lambert Arkwright - 03-06-2014

Lambert glances over the envelope, noticing the paper is notthe cheap kind you find on the stands and shops of Ul’dah. The mark of the Sultana immediately draws Lambert’s eye. Curious, Lambert whips out a dagger, careful not to damage the envelope or it’s contents. Lambert glances over the letter, and grins.

“A Sultansworn, eh? Guess I’ve gotten the Sultana’s attention with my work.”

Lambert pauses for a moment, considering if he would want to do this kind of work. He considers the upside and the downside. The upside, Lambert would have the power needed to protect himself and others, without having to go through his usual method of crippling the foe. The downside, mountains of red tape and millions of rules and regulations.
Lambert walked into the quicksand, greeting a few friends while passing by. He asked for a large mug of ale, putting a pouch of gil on the counter. Momodi poured him one, and Lambert took the tankard of ale over to a table, putting his feet up on it as he relaxed with his mug of ale. Lambert slowly sipped the ale, weighing various situations where it would be handy to be a sultansworn, or a bad thing.
Lambert, after sleeping the night to think it over, buys some decent quality paper and a quill and inkwell. Lambert immediately writes a draft, and then another, eventually reaching his fourth draft, trying to perfect the letter.

To Her Grace Nanamo Ul’namo.
Your Grace, it is an honor to receive this gift, this recognition of my work. As I’m sure you are aware, I was an inquisitor, and a free paladin at one point, but left both of those services due to a few issues. I worked for awhile as a bounty hunter here in Ul’dah because I saw this city needed help.

Everyday, I see criminals shaking down or oppressing those who cannot protect themselves, it sickens me. I would do anything to stop them, but the real masterminds are well protected. I am not naïve, I know of the situation here in Ul’dah, I don’t intend to bust down someone’s door without your explicit blessing to do so.

I swear to you, I will do everything in my power to stop this corruption. I lend you my sword and shield.

-Your humble servant, Lambert Arkwright.

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 03-07-2014

(( Me thinks that Lambert got really confident in himself over the 1 week since Lambert asked Kage for advice on his letter ;p

ALSO. SUCH GOOD LETTERS ;A; ))

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-12-2014

(The Following envelope is delivered to Kage Kiryuu, it bears the mark of the Sultana and the sultansworn. Inside are two letters)

Greetings, you have been selected to take part in the selection process. Her Grace Nanamo Ul’namo and I were both very impressed by the contents of your letter. You say you are not the best of swordsmen, however it is your mind and heart which is more important. Any street tough can swing a blade, however a Paladin and a Sultansworn must have the courage to stand against the evils of this world, no matter the cost. From reading your letter though, courage is one quality you do not seem to lack. Please apply yourself to the trials, I look forward to hearing the results.

- Jenlyns, Commander of Her Grace’s Sultansworn.

(The Second Letter)
Applicant Kiryuu, you will locate Applicant Roen Deneith and face trials at the hands of three of our more veteran Sultansworn. The times and trials will be up to the proctors, but all three must give their approval for you to move on.

The Trial of Faith: Knight Captain Erik Myhier

The Trial of Loyalty: Knight Justiciar Anelia Sadowyn

The Trial of Courage: Knight Natalie Mcbeef

When all three have given their support you will be contacted again. If you fail any of the trials, you will be removed from the current application cycle, although you may be invited to try again at a future date.

-Scribe Haskins

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-12-2014

Greetings, you have been selected to take part in the selection process. I must admit I was hesitant in agreeing to do so, as your break in training does not speak well of your dedication. However Her Grace Nanamo Ul’namo was impressed by the contents of your letter, and I must admit you seemed to have gained conviction since I last saw you. I can only hope that you heart is behind the words you wrote. Roen, I feel there is great potential within you, which is why I even allowed you this chance, do not let it go to waste. Please apply yourself to the trials, I look forward to hearing the results.

- Jenlyns, Commander of Her Grace’s Sultansworn.

(The following is written in a businesslike hand)
Applicant Deneith, you will locate Applicant Kage Kiryuu and face trials at the hands of three of our more veteran Sultansworn. The times and trials will be up to the proctors, but all three must give their approval for you to move on.

The Trial of Faith: Knight Captain Erik Myhier

The Trial of Loyalty: Knight Justiciar Anelia Sadowyn

The Trial of Courage: Knight Natalie Mcbeef

When all three have given their support you will be contacted again. If you fail any of the trials, you will be removed from the current application cycle, although you may be invited to try again at a future date.

-Scribe Haskins

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Erik Mynhier - 03-13-2014

[Image: 150px-Uldah_Flag_XIV.jpg]

From The Office of Flame Captain Mynhier,

As you have been informed, you have been selected to face the final trials of a Sultansworn. You should feel pride in how far you have come, the same pride the people of Thanalan feel when they see you don your plate. The trial associated with this office is the Trial of Faith. At a soon to be appointed time, you will travel to Southern Thanalan, to the settlement of Little Ala Mhigo where you shall be lead to face odds few have. You will be expected to be in uniform for the trial. Please respond to this office to schedule a time and date.

Dictated But Not Written,
Ser. Eirikir Mynhier, FCPT

Unit Secretary,
Montblanc

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 03-13-2014

Here is linked the log of Kage's Trial of Faith with Ser Erik.

http://pastebin.com/uuMAim51

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-16-2014

[Image: 8GQzco3.jpg]

Kage's trial of Courage.

Log here: http://pastebin.com/LyJjMe0U

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 03-18-2014

Kage's and Roen's Trial of Loyalty
[Image: v2uzMMk.jpg]
Log here: http://pastebin.com/edsfHcQZ

Kage is left to strengthen resolve as he awaits his results of the Trial with captain Anelia.

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 03-23-2014

Show Content

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-24-2014

(To anyone reading, the trials went pretty well, and myself and the others involved are more than willing to continue them, if anyone else wants to join the sultansworn IC, please contact us, myself and my fellow paladins would be happy to RP it out with you)

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Roen - 03-30-2014

"Roen, are you ready?"

Roen felt the cold slap of the shallow stream against her cheek as she hit the pebbled ground hard, her sword clanking loudly against wet stone as she braced herself for the fall. She pushed herself up and rolled to the side, away from the thick pink tongue that shot out at her with the quickness of a snake. She snatched up her sword again from the watery floor, securing her grip around the hilt. Her grey eyes narrowed to meet the green reptilian pupils that flitted this way and that. The massive amphibian's tongue was already retracted back into his giant maw, and she could see it coil within, as if to ready itself for another strike. The giant toad looked hungry.

"You sure you want to go through with this?"

She could hear Natalie's words in her head even as she raised her shield. The toad's tongue thudded hard against it, rattling her arm. Roen spun as the tongue retracted, water splashing around her feet as she darted forward and slashed at the giant reptile. Her blade found its mark true, and the slick yellow-green skin split easily, but the beast seemed not at all affected by it, even as yellow blubber began to ooze out from where she had struck. It hopped into the air where it stood, although when it landed, the impact of it sent her skidding backwards, her boots scrapping against the rocks below her feet.

"Do you think I am not ready?"

Roen had answered to Natalie's question with one of her own. This was her final Trial. She had faced against the undead, set against them by Erik, her first mentor and the Sultansworn who would give her the Trial of Faith. Her faith was tested in that she would stand alone against whatever evils and adversaries were set before her, and her faith was answered that she would not face them alone. Erik joined her in her fight that night, smiting undead alongside her.

Her second trial was given by Anelia, who ironically was her second mentor, and also Sultansworn. Anelia was as rigid and unforgiving as ever, just as Roen had remembered. She brought Roen and Kage -- the lalafell friend who was also undergoing the trials with her -- to Vesper Bay, to teach them the lesson of politics; the conflicts between Monetarists and Royalists, the authority of Brass Blades, and the obligation and responsibilities of a Sultansworn. There was only a battle of words in her Trial, and Roen was not sure that she had passed when Anelia dismissed them both to return home.  

But when Natalie led her out into the Western Thalanan, towards the bridge leading to Horizon, she was hopeful that this last trial would finalize her path to becoming Sultansworn. From Natalie's first few questions, Roen wondered if her current and third Sultansworn mentor thought she was not ready for the Trials or the mantle. "Speak your mind, Natalie. I would hear it." Roen said frankly.

The miqo'te Sultansworn narrowed her green eyes, looking at her apprentice. "Roen, this is a hard life. You will risk your life tonight, but it will not be the last time," she said, placing her hand on her hip. "You've left your training before, for personal reasons, but should you pass... that will not be an option." Natalie met Roen's gaze and held it. "I just need to make sure you are ready."

Roen inhaled deeply, straightening. She had chosen her family over her duties, and it had nearly cost her the chance of becoming a paladin. Ser Jenlyns was not forgiving, but Natalie had been. Perhaps this was her mentor's reminder that one only gets few second chances in life. "I know," Roen said. "But committing to this, becoming Sultansworn... I am doing it because of them. My family inspired me to do this. I want to protect them, as well as all the other people who call this place home. As I do. Is that not worth it?"

"I can't make that decision for you." Natalie smiled. "But it was for me. I just need to make sure you're doing it for you, and for no one else."

Roen nodded. "As a Sultansworn, I think I can do more good. For my family, and for others."

Natalie looked at her for a long moment. "Very well," she said quietly, and led her to the edge of the cliff next to the bridge, overlooking the deep gorge below them. She pointed to the giant amphibian roaming the river bed below. The rotund, hulking toad was big enough for Roen to easily spot from where they stood.

"That thing has eaten two patrols of brass blades, and countless caravans." Natalie said cooly. "But a Sultansworn will kill it." She turned to face Roen, crossing her arms. "You spoke of doing good for people. Slay that beast."

Roen swallowed, but nodded. This was the Trial of Courage. She now understood why. The beast had to be at least twenty fulms high. Often a group of multiple guards were recruited to take such a thing down. This day, she would face it alone. She ignored the twisting knot in her belly as she turned and trotted across the bridge and down the wooden railing that led down to the river below. 

Ten yalms away, it had not spotted her yet. Roen unsheathed her sword and gripped her shield. She could see its slimy skin glistening under the Thalanan sun. Its slitted eyes darted this way and that as it roamed the river bed. Her brows bent with determination. She spun her sword once in her hand, and charged.

"Ugh!" A grunt escaped her lips as the toad landed hard on the river again, the rippling waves its impact caused finally upsetting her balance and sending her stumbling backwards. The creature's tongue took the opportunity to wrap itself around her leg, yanking her toward it at an alarming speed. Roen's sword slipped from her hand again, clattering against the rocks behind her. She was being dragged on the wet ground by her foot like a rag-doll. Something about the slime of the giant beast's tongue made her skin turn cold, her muscles stiff. She had been fending off most of its strikes, but every time its tongue slid off her shield or gauntlet, it flicked its greenish slime onto her face and neck. She felt the tingling immediately.

Without a sword in hand, she saw the beast's jaws open wide. Roen lifted her shield, still bound tight around her arm, and slammed its sharp edge against the tongue that was wrapped around her leg. The fleshy thing split easily, green slime spurting everywhere.  The giant toad let out a deep bawling noise as it flailed its head side to side. Roen took the opportunity to skitter back, although her limbs were not moving as fast as her mind told it to. She reached into into her side pouch, drawing out a vial. She continued to skitter back further as she uncorked it with her teeth and pouring the contents into her mouth. She was not sure if it was the effect of the healing potion or the grip of urgency that warmed her limbs, but she scrambled back to her feet. She quickly retreated back, bracing herself against the unsteady waves that came rushing after her, her hand reaching into the water to retrieve her sword.

Spinning it once more in her hand, she summoned aetheric energies to her, red and blue lightening cracking around her feet, weaving energy into her feet and arms. She charged forward, shield raised, sword singing its steel song.

The giant toad fell limp onto the ground, its eyes lifeless, its massive form oozing yellow substances everywhere she had cut it. It took more than twenty (thirty?) slashes to bring it down finally. The layers of fat it had beneath its skin had armored it well. 

Roen leaned forward, her hands on her knees, her chest falling rising and falling with heavy breaths. Her red locks were slick with both slime and river water, as was her Sultansworn armor and tabard.

"Well..." a familiar voice called from behind her. "I had no idea that would happen."

She turned to see Natalie standing there, along with C'kayah and Kage. The miqo'te Sultansworn was grinning from ear to ear. The same expression was on her companions as well as they all looked to her. "I didn't think you could kill it. I thought to teach you courage by giving you a hopeless battle." Natalie said, clearly impressed. "Little did I know."

"You'll have to try again, then..." C'kayah chuckled.

Roen blinked, her eyes darting between all of them. She had no idea how long they had been in the river bed with her. Then Natalie's words finally sunk in. "That was... you what?"

Natalie shrugged, glancing to those behind her. "We were here to help you, should you be overwhelmed." She smiled. "However, I may have underestimated you."

"Oh." Roen exhaled finally, a smile emerging at last. "Well, had I known, I would not have been so..." She then paused and shook her head. "But then again, that would not have tested my courage, would it?"

"No," Natalie laughed heartily. "It wouldn't have."

"We knew early on that you would not need us." Kage beamed at her, glancing back towards Natalie and C'kayah. 

"Applicants Kiryuu and Deneith." Natalie's tone sobered quickly. "Front and center!"

Roen straightened, stepping forward in attention before the miqo'te Sultansworn. Kage stepped up beside her. 

Natalie looked to them both, her eyes narrowed, her expression intent. "By the reports of the other two knights, and my own observations, I declare you to have passed the trials. You are now for all intent and purposes, acting Sultansworn. You will be contacted within a week on the oath swearing ceremony." Natalie nodded to them both, allowing a slight smile to break her austere countenance. "Congratulations. Both of you."

Roen could barely manage to suppress her joy, much less the smile splitting her lips. She looked to Kage who wore an irrepressible grin of his own. "Thank you," Kage said, jubilant.

"Aye. Gratitude," Roen added.

"I will see you at the ceremony. And then..." Natalie walked up to them both, putting her hand on their shoulders, one in turn. "I look forward to us standing together. Shield to shield."

"As do I!" Kage was still grinning ear to ear.

"Shield to shield," Roen said quietly, nodding to Natalie.

Natalie walked away from them, spun around sharply with a salute. "Sultansworn!"

Roen and Kage both answered with a crisp salute.

"Dismissed," Natalie declared. Then another smile rose to her lips and she laughed. She stepped forward this time, as a friend, and gave them a warm embrace.

Roen returned the embrace, closing her eyes for a moment. "Thank you," she whispered into Natalie's ear.

Natalie leaned back. "I should be thanking you. I could not ask for better apprentices." She glanced to both of them, a look of mischief in her green eyes. "Now I should let you two celebrate." She gave them a wave and joined C'kayah who was seated quietly on a rock, watching them all with a delighted smile. Natalie began to walk away with her beau, then glanced back to Roen and Kage over her shoulder. "Just don't get so crazy that I have to pluck you from a Brass Blades jail cell!"  

Roen and Kage regarded each other. "Let us celebrate," Roen said boldly. "I will buy you a drink!" That statement alone was surprising, being that she herself did not drink, but if any occasion called for an exception, this would be it.

"I will do the same!" Kage beamed. The lalafell eyed Roen up and down critically however looking each other over. "Perhaps we should also change."

"I should get this cleaned before the ceremony." Roen made a face as she glanced at her Sultansworn armor and tabard. "That thing had a very long tongue."

"We should both get cleaned up. Then a drink! At Momodi's!" Kage grinned and waved as he trotted away.

Roen went to the gorge and washed away what slime she could in the running water, before she too climbed up the wooden steps, her legs finally starting to grow heavy with the exhaustion earned by the day's trial. 

She did not see the woman waiting for her on the road from Horizon until she was nearly upon her. It was Ana Deneith, Roen's adoptive mother. And from her distraught expression, something was terribly terribly wrong.

"Ana...?" Roen called out, her chest sinking with dread.

[sub]The story continues in this post.[/sub]

RE: Trials of the Sultansworn [Closed] - Kage - 03-31-2014

((I wasn't coherent enough to save the log but there were two things that happened since Roen's trial. 

Kage found out he failed, did not know of Roen's failure until the re-trial which he, Lambert, and Roen passed. Roen passed by default.

...Roen doesn't even know she failed.))