Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! (/showthread.php?tid=6417)

Pages: 1 2

Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Gwen - 02-20-2014

Firstly, hello!

I literally just installed the game and I'm mostly interested in RP'ing and have no idea what server to go for. I like in the UK/European time zones. But from the look of random threads I've found across the interenet, most of the RP is on American servers. Is it better to go to one of them? (And if so, which?) Or should I go for an EU one? I'm up quite late so I don't think an American timezone would be too much trouble for the most part, but if there's very few europeans there then it would obviously be less fun in the long run. So any quick responses/info would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Nebbs - 02-20-2014

Well on Balmung there is an active EU set with linkshells etc.. (these are like common group/chat channels)  (I don't know for Gilgamesh)

Check out the events and the timings and that should give you some idea of activity. Also the linkshells list.

And welcome!

[edit - BTW I'm uk]

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Faye - 02-20-2014

Welcome and no apologies needed! If you want to role-play, I would strongly recommend Balmung or Gilgamesh, even if you're an EU player. I'm not sure how much RP there would be on other servers. I can only speak for Balmung, but here we have LS's and FC's for EU players, and I can vouch that there many EU players in my own FC. I'm sure Gilgamesh likewise has a decent EU population.

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Gwen - 02-20-2014

I decided to just roll with Balmung since that seemed to be the most popular from what I could see.

Just trying to learn how to play more than anything at the moment Moogle

How do I go about joining chat channels and such?

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Erik Mynhier - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 03:36 PM)Amyness Wrote: Firstly, hello!

I literally just installed the game and I'm mostly interested in RP'ing and have no idea what server to go for. I like in the UK/European time zones. But from the look of random threads I've found across the interenet, most of the RP is on American servers. Is it better to go to one of them? (And if so, which?) Or should I go for an EU one? I'm up quite late so I don't think an American timezone would be too much trouble for the most part, but if there's very few europeans there then it would obviously be less fun in the long run. So any quick responses/info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there and hello. Never be sorry to say hi, that's why most of us have "Walk-up" under our profile in-game. See you on the other side.

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Kage - 02-20-2014

Chat channels? I assume you mean the Linkshells which require an "officer" of the linkshell to give you a linkpearl. After that it's as simple as (on a keyboard) hitting "/" and then "l#" and a message to chat with people

/ls1 Rawr = my saying "Rawr" in my first linkshell.

Olofantur has good recs that you can check out and is most likely incoming~ Big Grin

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Olofantur - 02-20-2014

Hai hai Amy!

On Balmung one of the great OOC linkshells dedicated to EU players is:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=6316
"Europa" with plenty of people and activity to keep you busy!

Unfortunately I don't play much during those hours so i'm not sure what other groups to recommend or their level of activity ho ever I do have a few other things i'd like to share with you, [though i'm sure at this point everyone heard it enough to drive em' up a wall >_> ]

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/misc.php?page=welcome
This wonderful welcome post provided by the RPC to all newcomers tells you a bit about the site and the people who fill it. If you read through and click on a few of the links you'll find the resources here at your disposal, from the Wiki to the Lantern [An IC publication.]

If you'd like to learn more about roleplaying on a general level and the Eorzean kind in particular Evas RP handbook found at:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770
Is a frankly amazing source of information. The spoiler tag at the top opens an index that lists they key topics. You might want to skim through the areas you already feel familiar with if you're strapped for time, and its no obligation, just a solid foundation.

But onto the communities! You already say the "Europa" listing above, but there are two more OOC linkshells i'd like to recommend. while they are mostly NA time zone people, the sheer number of them and the wonky-ness of many of our schedules should provide you with A little activity while you're still getting your foot in the door.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1902
"Intermission" is a large community with roleplayers all of types and experience. If you want to get to know people before you meet their characters, just want to chat while fishing or want to keep up to date on Olympic scoring, Intermission is good place to be, heck even if you don't stay long term, many relationships have started here before moving on after they become more comfortable or refine what they'd like in their day-to-day.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5045
"Balmungs Finest" is dedicated to PVE content. Need to farm Brayflox for the battlemage set? maybe do the Primals for you quest? want to get into a Crystal Tower raid? Balmungs Finest is great for people looking to group with people on Balmung first before resorting to the duty finder. Particularly handy for the lone DPS who doesn't want to be waiting through an age for the queue.

Now if I haven't bored you to tears i'd like to echo the others in saying that "we're here to help." questions, comments, and concerns can be voiced here.

Anywho, feel free to flag me down if you see me running about in game! though I might be a bit slow to respond during the next little while, I really want to try getting remote play on my Vita working Cactuar

(02-20-2014, 04:49 PM)ExKage Wrote: Chat channels? I assume you mean the Linkshells which require an "officer" of the linkshell to give you a linkpearl. After that it's as simple as (on a keyboard) hitting "/" and then "l#" and a message to chat with people

Olofantur has good recs that you can check out and is most likely incoming~ Big Grin

!!! am I really so predictable?! maybe I should get my Chocobo to start posting in my stead...

On the topic of replying to linkshells, you can also [once you join one by speaking to a linkshell member and asking for an invite] use "Alt+L" to cycle through your linkshells [though I prefer the /ls# method as well.]

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Kage - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 04:53 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 04:49 PM)ExKage Wrote: Chat channels? I assume you mean the Linkshells which require an "officer" of the linkshell to give you a linkpearl. After that it's as simple as (on a keyboard) hitting "/" and then "l#" and a message to chat with people

Olofantur  has good recs that you can check out and is most likely incoming~ Big Grin

!!! am I really so predictable?! maybe I should get my Chocobo to start posting in my stead...

On the topic of replying to linkshells, you can also [once you join one by speaking to a linkshell member and asking for an invite] use "Alt+L" to cycle through your linkshells [though I prefer the /ls# method as well.]

No~ You're just really helpful! Big Grin

((I wasn't sure about saying anything about ALT+L because it's exactly how I end up doing so many mistypes))

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - TheShii - 02-20-2014

welcome welcome! great to see a new player that's interested in rp Big Grin
this place is chalk full of organized information and fun theories and debates concerning lore too! I hope you find your niche in the community and thoroughly enjoy yourself in the game

Thanks for the welcomes and the help everyone Blush

I've joined the Europa group and learning everything I need to know there!

(02-20-2014, 05:45 PM)Amyness Wrote: Thanks for the welcomes and the help everyone Blush

I've joined the Europa group and learning everything I need to know there!

You'll get used to it, the community here is [almost creepily] helpful,

Feel free to hop into the forums and post longer or more detailed questions if you're looking for more of a discussion on lore bits, or all that jazz.

Glad to hear they're helping out though! Thumbsup

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Elyscia - 02-20-2014

Hello and welcome, my dear. I am also from the UK and you have reminded me to join Europa when I'm home tonight~

Night owl, eh? Me too!

Hit me up in-game whenever you see me if you'd like to chat or otherwise! I'd love to help you whenever you get to the point of needing a group to advance the Story Quests, and I'm always on the look for more friends and RP. 

I'm mainly found floundering about Ul'dah.

Yay,  RP!

(02-20-2014, 06:31 PM)Elyscia Wrote: Hello and welcome, my dear. I am also from the UK and you have reminded me to join Europa when I'm home tonight~

Night owl, eh? Me too!

Hit me up in-game whenever you see me if you'd like to chat or otherwise! I'd love to help you whenever you get to the point of needing a group to advance the Story Quests, and I'm always on the look for more friends and RP. 

I'm mainly found floundering about Ul'dah.

Yay,  RP!
Not really familiar with any of the areas or hotspots yet. It's a bit too soon to learn any as I don't know the names of any places yet. But it would be great to have someone to group with at times. I've never really been much of a PVE'r so it's always helpful c:

And I try to be a night owl as much as I can, but recently having to get up at 9am each morning has hindered that a bit. I can't seem to find your character name in game :o

RE: Sorry for yet another introduction thread! - Elyscia - 02-20-2014

Amyness Wrote:Not really familiar with any of the areas or hotspots yet. It's a bit too soon to learn any as I don't know the names of any places yet. But it would be great to have someone to group with at times. I've never really been much of a PVE'r so it's always helpful c:

And I try to be a night owl as much as I can, but recently having to get up at 9am each morning has hindered that a bit.

Hehe,  I am currently at work and offline which may be the reason why. But not to worry: I'm home for midnight so an hour or so left and I look forward to accept your friend request! (SQUENIX.  Y NO OFFLINE FRIEND REQUEST OPTION? )

What class are you playing?  It affects your starting area and there are three main cities: Gridania - Conjurer, Archer, Lancer. Ul'dah - Thaumaturge(sp??) Pugilist.. something.   Limsa - Arcanist,  Marauder... something. 

My memory is bad, OK. I don't remember the last classes.

I'm a night owl throughout the entire week and gotten into the bad habit of ssleeping at 6am and waking up at 11th but there's so much stuff to do that sleeping gets in the way of!

See you tonight, lovely. Heart