Hydaelyn Role-Players
Windows 8.1 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Windows 8.1 (/showthread.php?tid=6319)

Windows 8.1 - Asgarn - 02-08-2014

Calling all techies!

So, as the title suggests, I would like some honest opinions on Windows 8.1. It's up sides, down sides, changes from 8.0 and ultimately... Is it worth it? Through general observation, I have noted that a fair number of posters on this forum have a background in building computers as well as having a fair bit of knowledge about operating systems. (I am not so eloquently skilled with either of these fields. I enjoy computers, but am pretty hopeless with anything that involves them before they're put together.)

Now, I would like this to be another opinions/discussion thread but I will also be extracting some information for my own use. Please, by all means do not tailor your replies around this, I want your raw opinions, after all. Just for background, I have recently ran in to issues with Windows 7 (for reasons I won't go in to detail about. The gist of it is compatibility issues due to version and an inability to update/re-install). Having been running 7 since it's release, I figure the ol' girl is dying and am looking for a replacement. Naturally, the most recent "cutting edge" (according to Windows) operating system springs to mind: 8.1. Though, admittedly, I am somewhat abrasive due to never having touched 8.0, so it has me thinking I should rake some experienced brains for details about it before "taking the plunge".

I have read the homepage for Windows 8.1 and am... Underwhelmed. However, the situation I find myself in is rather urgent and I admit there are some features I like the look of. I have been to the generic forums seeking advice and, as expected, the majority are full of self-proclaimed experts whom are, in fact, Apple fanboys or similar. (You know the like. Where if, god forbid, they should start to lose an argument they resort to correcting the grammar of their adversary.)

Sooooo! What do people think of 8.1? Any opinions are valued, but I would love to hear someone go in depth.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Kage - 02-08-2014

I want to preface this by saying that I've used Windows all my life. This includes when Windows was still running on top of MS-DOS as 3.x versions. The only versions that I didn't really touch were NT/CE/Server editions. So when I say that I don't prefer 8.0/8.1 it's most likely from the very big change I had to go through.

That said, if you do transition to 8.x I highly recommend the free update to 8.1 immediately. There are tips and tricks to using 8.1 that weren't intuitive for me. I switched to go to desktop on start and there's stupid things like how 8.1 won't always register your swiping to get to some admin tools like shut down/control panel. I found out that the best and most convenient is right clicking the windows icon on the taskbar in desktop mode and there is everything.

I haven't had any real compatibility issues with 7 Home Premium or Ultimate nor have I really had any issues with 8.1 either (and if you're more interested in this part, FFXIV).  It's not a horrible OS but it's definitely a lot more idea if you use tablets often or if you have a touchscreen. I have more of a "meh" attitude towards 8.1 and if given the choice I'd stick with 7 for a long while until it becomes obsolete by 9 or so..

Before you update though, have you considered a reformat of your system? I know you don't want to go into it but my laptop that was only available in Vista that I immediately changed to 7 upon release is still fine. Perhaps a driver was corrupted and a fresh reformat would solve it?

RE: Windows 8.1 - FreelanceWizard - 02-08-2014

8 is pretty different from 7, though if you've used Windows Phone at all, the principle is very similar. Things that work in 7 (such as searching from the start menu) work in 8, but really you just need to view the Start screen as "a highly customizable full-screen app launcher." Smile 8 is much, much better with a touchscreen, though, and 8.1 is a dramatic improvement over 8 for non-touchscreen users.

Compatibility-wise, my experience has been same as ExKage's. I ran 8 during beta and 8.1 since its launch, and I haven't run into any problems with consumer software (enterprise software is a different story Smile ). One thing to note is that new DirectX versions are only provided for the latest version of Windows, so you will eventually have to upgrade to play newer games on their highest settings -- but that's a year or two out at least.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Sophia_Grave - 02-08-2014

I use it.

It works great and has lots of features for how efficient it is. I've had next to no issues using/navigating outside of initially customizing it to my comfort.

On the other hand, its sort of a pointless upgrade. I can't honestly recommend people spend money on the upgrade when w7 is still more than serviceable. My only issue with it is that MS doesn't use android, which could have made for some nice inherent compatibility for apps and whatnot. Instead, it uses that awful windows app store that no one develops for.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Asgarn - 02-09-2014

My thanks for the input, guys. It really is appreciated and I'm taking notes. Smile

RE: Windows 8.1 - Denseron - 02-11-2014

Thanks for the info... have been putting off the update for some time... now I might actually do it Smile

RE: Windows 8.1 - Ignacius - 02-25-2014

I'm probably unlike a lot of my peers in that I jumped to 8 almost immediately and absolutely loved it.  It took about two weeks to get used to, since a lot of the controls are different.  However, the Metro interface feels a lot more intuitive after you've used it a while and if you aren't constantly doing the shuffle backwards into 7.  What's best about it, though, is the stability.  8 has never crashed on me, and I routinely play with software on my computer like Revit that has wreaked havoc on lesser operating systems.

The best thing to do is to get 8, immediately upgrade to 8.1 (since it'll help ease you into the change) and take the time to learn where everything is.  If you aren't constantly referring back to 7 or earlier, you'll very quickly get everything in order.  Windows 8 would probably have gotten a lot more praise if 90% of us hadn't been using its predecessors since we were kids.

Also, take the time to organize and use the Metro interface.  I can't stress enough how useful it is once you get used to it, especially if you just have one monitor or if you've connected your rig to a large, HD TV.

You know, for people that have done that....  Angel

RE: Windows 8.1 - synaesthetic - 02-27-2014

wtb Linux version of FFXIV

RE: Windows 8.1 - Austratus - 02-27-2014

I honestly didn't want to touch Windows 8 with a 100-foot pole back when it first came out-- and later, when I originally started considering upgrading my old computer... which was still running Windows XP, by the way.

That said? It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Asgarn - 02-27-2014

I caved. Blush I now have Windows 8.1 Pro and can honestly say that I love most of it's aspects. It's smaller and takes up less space than Windows 7 so my computer runs as if I'd just ran a system clean up every time I use it! Big Grin

On top of the compact size, there's some sweet features on the desktop that can be accessed whilst in fullscreen mode. ie. the dashboard (swipe an L shape in the top left of the screen, displays Start, Devices, etc. in a compressed window), activity bar by doing the same in the top left corner. Whilst these might not be anything big for other gamers, I usually have multiple things requiring my attention running at once, so this is ideal.

A lot of the "hate" this version receives seems to be based around the panel system. I can say now that the panels only apply for the start screen and, honestly, make the start screen a lot easier to navigate and more visually appealing. Smile

I am not exactly a qualified techie, so I can't go in to all the technical stuff, but I'm liking this version so far. ^_^

RE: Windows 8.1 - Kage - 02-27-2014

Glad to hear it! It's really all about personal preference.