Hydaelyn Role-Players
civil war in ul'dah? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: civil war in ul'dah? (/showthread.php?tid=6166)

civil war in ul'dah? - lia yia - 01-19-2014

Anyone think there will be a civil war with the Syndicate and the Sultan?
As the lore sates as I know it the Syndicate has more power than the sultan.

RE: civil war in ul'dah? - C'kayah Polaali - 01-19-2014

I doubt it, so long as the Sultana doesn't do anything that directly threatens the Syndicate. There's too much profit involved for everyone for anyone to want to rock the boat too much.

RE: civil war in ul'dah? - LiadansWhisper - 01-19-2014

I also get the feeling that Raubahn (who is a member of the Syndicate if I remember correctly?  SOMEONE CONFIRM/DENY!) would have a serious problem with someone trying to hurt the Sultana.

RE: civil war in ul'dah? - LandStander - 01-19-2014

Raubahn is a member of the Syndicate. If I remember correctly, the Syndicate was against the idea of the Sultana raising the Immortal Flames, because it would give her more power. So she kind of has an army at her back now so I don't think one will happen, but who knows! I like the idea either way.

I was personally hoping that someone was trying to get together some freedom fighters in this post because I have been thinking of making a freedom fighter character based out of Ul'dah. My personal opinion is that if a civil war would happen in Ul'dah, it would be between the haves and have nots. Ul'dah is one of the only city-states that literally has an area devoted as the slums, along with the massive pour of poor refugee's to the area. The Sultana seems to be sympathetic to their plight, but she simply does not have the resources to maintain the problem due to the war and the primal threat. It's only a matter of time before things get out of control Cactuar

RE: civil war in ul'dah? - Yssen - 01-19-2014

I would not say a civil war, but there is certainly a power struggle going on between some members of the Syndicate and the Sultana. The factions are actually into two groups, the Monetarists and the Royalists. 

The Monetarists wish to weaken the power of the Sultana and rule Ul'dah for themselves. Most of the members of the Syndicate are Monetarists.

The Royalists wish to return Ul'dah to the days when the Sultana and other Noble Houses ruled, setting the clock back to before there was a Syndicate. 

Rauhbahn is a member of the Syndicate by virtue of his being the Flame General, but Rauhbahn is a Royalist. In fact, if I recall correctly, the Monetarists were trying to put the leader of the Brass Blades in as Flame General at the onset of the GC's reformation instead of Rauhbahn. A move that would give them more control in the Syndicate and further weaken the Sultana's power.

Both factions have their party lines as to why they are the right choice. They both have really terrible track records when it comes to exploiting and grinding down the poor and downtrodden. Though, admittedly, the current Sultana seems to be the exception. She just lacks the resources to do any real good.

Will it come to civil war? No, probably not. The Monetarists seem content to use intrigue and espionage to weaken the Sultana. Never striking at her through official means or directly. They mess with those factions loyal to her, like the Sultansworn and such. I suspect that would be the status quo until something really drastic and dramatic happens.

RE: civil war in ul'dah? - Sounsyy - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 07:51 PM)Yssen Wrote: Rauhbahn is a member of the Syndicate by virtue of his being the Flame General, but Rauhbahn is a Royalist. In fact, if I recall correctly, the Monetarists were trying to put the leader of the Brass Blades in as Flame General at the onset of the GC's reformation instead of Rauhbahn.

To clarify, Raubahn is a member of the Syndicate because he is one of the six richest citizens of Ul'dah, not because he is the Flame General. He actually became a member of the Syndicate before he became the Flame General. Raubahn earned his wealth as an Ala Mhigan gladiator winning duel after duel on the Bloodsands. With his winnings he bought the Coliseum, which only further increased his wealth.

His last victory can be watched here:

There Might Be Blood

But I definitely agree with everything else you said. The Monetarists work in the shadows. I doubt despite their combined power, wealth, and influence that they would ever risk all of that waging war against the Sultana. Especially considering how in 1.0 they were reluctant to spare a penny of their own money in the war against the Garleans.