Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Void (Lore Request) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Void (Lore Request) (/showthread.php?tid=6142)

The Void (Lore Request) - Trigonxv - 01-15-2014

If I can get any and all lore concerning the void no matter how little it would be deeply appreciated. While i am looking to know about it overall, i have a keen interest on how one establishes a connection/portal to the void (im not sure if there is any info on portals i am mainly saying this after becoming curious about the mini portal that opens up on the second boss fight in haukke manor hm). Thank you for any information you can provide

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Sounsyy - 01-16-2014

Well, the Void is another dimension that exists (I guess) parallel to our own. This is purely speculation but I have a theory that it is the dark world in which Zodiark Crystal inhabits. That's just my guess.

Anyways, back to what we know. We know that select Black Mages have, in the past, been able to open portals to the Void. However, usually whenever a portal to the Void is opened, mass death and chaos ensues. 

The Raven: Aetheryte Under Siege
The Raven: Atomos Identified
The Mythril Eye: Disaster at Darkhold

Those are some news clippings from 1.0 about Voidsent making it into our world. The  most notable of these is Atomos. Who appeared above our Aetherytes, drained them of their aether, then disappeared again into the Void.

We've also seen a lot more evidence of people being able to summon "Voidsent." These people have also been found, usually, in cahoots with Ascians. Which goes back to my theory on Zodiark. Another example is Lady Amandine, who sold her soul to the Void for beauty. That backfired... 

Not sure this is entirely what you were looking for, but there isn't a ton of lore about the Void. Just you'll find small snitches of info here and there about it from various side and main story quests. It seems to be a lot more prevalent in ARR than it was in 1.0.

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Ildur - 01-16-2014

Here you can find what the "Void" means traditionally in the Final Fantasy series. As far as ARR is concerned, though, the Void seems to refer to some kind of alternate reality where there is no matter. Creatures emerging from it most likely gain a physical form when entering a material realm, as otherwise the term "Void", which sugests nothingness, makes no sense. Though it is possible that Squee was thinking of it as just a generic hell, but that's unlikely.

There's no hard lore about it, though what is true is that Squee uses it as a generic fantasy hell as far as summoning creatures from it is concerned. There's no word on how to contact them in-game. Though I remember a FATE in Northern Thanalan were a cultist lets herself be taken over by a succubuss and ends up taking its physical form.

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Trigonxv - 01-16-2014

i sooooo wish i could use pieces of whats already given in that wiki to create one epic character development especially since one aspect aligns with my character to a degree but since in arr we still dont have any knowledge on the properties of this void all of that development would be scrapped since the possibility of it matching up is low >.<\.

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - No Longer Exists - 01-16-2014

There's a general assumption that the lore of the game won't always be expanded on. It's left to some interpretation and certainly in RP, that interpretation can be used to your own needs. Since the game is fairly new and I don't see any major expansion on the horizon (save for some updates the team has hinted at), it shouldn't be a problem for you to decide on your own based on what's known. That's how these things work anyways, people develop theories and test them till they get it right.

My interpretation of the void and the names for such entities (See: Voidsent) is much like that of Sounssy, but less a hell and more a nether-realm. Where Primals come from one realm into the material through a heavy amount of Aether and a summoning rite (of sorts), the void offers a smaller-form for those canny enough to tap into it. The Ascians and other mages have tapped into it over time and through the game, but creatures like the vodoriga appear in coerthas on their own despite being smaller versions of the voidsent Blanga and in both Coerthas and Mor Dhona region, there are demons and the like. Plus, the term "Voidsent" leaves a little wiggle room in that maybe they aren't called, but "allowed" to cross over by some greater force.

As we explore the darker side of Eorzea, I encourage a little bit of pioneering in the field of lore. There's so much to expand on and who knows? Maybe Squeenix will appreciate the work and use some of it themselves. Cool

Cheers

-Black Hat

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Goodfellow - 01-16-2014

I don't have any screenshots, but I'm pretty sure I regularly hear NPCs refer to hell.  Usually as an exclamation, but my take has always been that there is some sort of cosmological-theological conception of hell that more or less matches our own and that the Void is a much more immediate threat and not simply a destination for the wicked.

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - ansemaru - 01-16-2014

There are frequent references to the Seven Hells, which are consistent with some idea of an afterlife for the wicked. The Void appears to be a separate entity from these.

It's also worth noting that the term "Voidsent" is used to describe things that are not actually from the Void- it has been applied to, among other things, parasitic insects that are wholly from Hydaelyn. The usage would be consistent with real-world usage of "damned" or "damnable".

The Void has been intentionally left vague, I fear. This is both a blessing and a curse in terms of lore- it leaves room for creativity, but it also leaves lots of room for disagreement and future jossing. We can make some assumptions- various "demonic" enemies such as imps, gargoyles, and mindflayers are from there, and the creatures can be summoned just as egis, carbuncles, and faeries can be summoned. It appears Ascians have some connection to the Void as well- the "true form" of an Ascian may very well be a sort of Voidsent. But we simply do not know much more as of yet.

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Ildur - 01-16-2014

I remember some bombs and gnats during a FATE or Leve, I forgot, which were very explicitly said to have come from the Void, or at least a portal. I should go fish for it and see the actual wording. But it would seem that the most likely explanation (to me) is that there are creatures in the Void that take physical form when entering the physical dimension. Kind of how angels and demons work in Christian theology.

Well the concept i really want to make use of now along with the void is the Warriors of Dark thing, will i be able to roll that into my rp?

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - FreelanceWizard - 01-16-2014

(01-16-2014, 07:49 PM)Trigonxv Wrote: Well the concept i really want to make use of now along with the void is the Warriors of Dark thing, will i be able to roll that into my rp?

I have this recollection that there's some connection between dark crystals and Our Friends In Black Robes and Red Masks, but I can't recall if that was speculation or something stated in the main scenario quest. Anyone game to take a crack at that? Smile

(01-16-2014, 08:30 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I have this recollection that there's some connection between dark crystals and Our Friends In Black Robes and Red Masks, but I can't recall if that was speculation or something stated in the main scenario quest. Anyone game to take a crack at that? Smile
Which is exactly why i am tempted to roll with a Warrior of Dark concept while being separate from our masked friends but without some specifics clarified on the matter im stuck thinking of all the fun rp i could have with this concept XD

RE: The Void (Lore Request) - Xydane - 01-16-2014

Hm, I'm glad someone posted this topic up. I'm actually basing my current RP story on "Voidsent" and from all honesty, all I knew was the basic lore of the Void from the game.

Tons of good information here. Thanks guys.