Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character (/showthread.php?tid=6131)

Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - Leencat - 01-15-2014

When it comes to RP, being spot-on with lore and having an interesting, believable character come of that lore is as important to me as it is to so many role-players (perhaps to the point of being a little obsessive-compulsive, for me). The problem is that I get myself overwhelmed when trying to research the lore on my own time, especially given some of my time restraints. I find myself focusing too much on the information I may not need so much for my character, even though I want to learn it all. I get only X amount of time to spend gaming and try not to spend all of it getting absorbed in learning, but I don't want to just leap headfirst into RP here without a clue. I've been playing to level up and reading here and there on the side.

Anyway, I would like to present my character concept here to seek the advice, critiques, and suggestions of the community, especially if someone can recommend interesting "RP goals" I might set for my character in particular. I have, at the very least, read into information about the character's race to get a feel for her background and personality, as a start. I love the Miqo'te lore.

To make this post seem less like a wall of text, I'm sticking my character's info in spoiler tags. It's abit of a read, but I thank anyone who reads and takes the time to help me out in any way! I appreciate it more than I can express.

For potential RP connections, I have an odd schedule of activity from midnight EST and onward, more freedom given on days off if I'm actually home.

Show Content

RE: Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - Leencat - 01-15-2014

I hope it's not against the rules to give this a gentle bump to try to get some attention on it during the earlier hours while people are active... I posted this rather late at night when I figure a lot of people may have likely been asleep.

RE: Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - Erik Mynhier - 01-15-2014

She seems well put together lore wise. As for goals, I find they come to you as you develop the character, so don't worry about it at this point.

I'm on Balmung, but feel free to pm me if you need lore help, I have amassed quite a collection of sources, as I am a bit of a lore nut too. My stories get wacky at times but I'm always sure they are lore friendly.

RE: Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - C'kayah Polaali - 01-15-2014

I agree, she seems well grounded in lore. I especially like the bit about her father, it could provide some interesting hooks.

As far as her goals go, though... What you've got is a fair history. You don't really have any explicit motivations for her, though the fact that she's left her tribe to go study suggests that she has some strong ones. I'd ask myself some questions about her, they might help you to find some goals:
  • She left her tribe. How does she feel about that?
  • Who is she close to, now that she's living in Ul'dah?
  • How does she feel about men, in light of her revelations of her father?
  • How much is she willing to put herself out in order to gain new knowledge?
  • What does she do when she's not studying?

RE: Help with fleshing out my Miqo'te character - Ildur - 01-15-2014

There are aldgoats in game that can be found around Camp Drybone, though it's suggested in a FATE that they come from the south. I don't recall them being anywhere else, but that doesn't mean they can't be found in other zones. Just something to keep in mind when deciding where the tribe was/is located.

Another thing you might want to flesh out a bit is how the tribal society worked. No need to be extremely specific, but things like how leadership was formed, usual diet, religious rituals, if they were nomadic. You know, things that can come out in conversation with your character some day and that could give you insight as to how she was raised.

As for information on aether, I can provide you this wiki link and this other one. The last post there is actually quite nice.

(01-15-2014, 06:50 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote: I agree, she seems well grounded in lore. I especially like the bit about her father, it could provide some interesting hooks.

As far as her goals go, though... What you've got is a fair history. You don't really have any explicit motivations for her, though the fact that she's left her tribe to go study suggests that she has some strong ones. I'd ask myself some questions about her, they might help you to find some goals:
  • She left her tribe. How does she feel about that?
  • Who is she close to, now that she's living in Ul'dah?
  • How does she feel about men, in light of her revelations of her father?
  • How much is she willing to put herself out in order to gain new knowledge?
  • What does she do when she's not studying?

Thank you so much. I was really looking for some questions like these because I hadn't even thought about these things. Let me try to fathom some answers.

Show Content

(01-15-2014, 07:27 PM)Ildur Wrote: There are aldgoats in game that can be found around Camp Drybone, though it's suggested in a FATE that they come from the south. I don't recall them being anywhere else, but that doesn't mean they can't be found in other zones. Just something to keep in mind when deciding where the tribe was/is located.

Another thing you might want to flesh out a bit is how the tribal society worked. No need to be extremely specific, but things like how leadership was formed, usual diet, religious rituals, if they were nomadic. You know, things that can come out in conversation with your character some day and that could give you insight as to how she was raised.

As for information on aether, I can provide you this wiki link and this other one. The last post there is actually quite nice.

Firstly, thank you for the links! That's what I was mainly looking for.

As for fleshing out her tribe, how much freedom do I have with that? It is a canon tribe, so I don't want to go too crazy in case I face inconsistencies with other people. Do Seeker tribes always stay in one huge group or can a single tribe be broken up around several areas?

For example, as an answer, could I safely decide that they have their nunh, but no set leadership? Based on reading lore on Seekers, they don't always have nunh meaning leadership. You may bring up a point that deciding on them being nomadic is sensible, especially in a desert region, being constantly on the move for food. Perhaps they were oriented on hunting and more ate meat than plants.

I'm happy to take suggestions. I'm terrible at thinking of these sort of fine details, which are ones I really need.

You're all being incredibly helpful and thought-provoking, and I really appreciate it!

If you go read the Miqo'te Naming Conventions in the official lore forums, you'll see that tribes are divided into territories, with ussually one nunh per zone. So you can say that the tribe of your character is "the Aldgoat Tribe of the Sagolii Desert" or "the Aldgoat Tribe of Coerthas" or wherever without incurring into any lore breaking. Even if canonically they are somewhere else (or if they are different than your made-up N tribe), you can justify it by saying that they are from a different territory that developed in different ways. Go crazy!
Also, remember there's basically no lore about any of the actual tribes except for the U (drake) tribe, which has a village at the border of the Sagolii Desert, but they break the lore by having the nunh and the leader being the same person (which is something that rarely happens, according to the lore thread).

Here is a summary of the dev posts about the matter. There have been also a great number of Miqo'te threads in the past in this very same forum, so you might want to take a dive into them.

Thank you so much! With that in mind, I will think more about the deeper details of unique traits of her section of the Aldgoat Tribe and how they live. I'll try to take more cues from the game as they are playing and work on that as a side project; I still welcome aid with her character aside from that. I'm relieved at least that my draft of what I have for her character is not an absolute disaster.

I'm also glad to have it confirmed that the canon tribes don't have a ton of info because I spent some time searching and getting frustrated that I could not find much. I'm glad that welcomes the creativity to fill in the blanks myself.

Oh, also here is another helpful link. Making a character sheet is not necessary (though it can help if you forget details, just like I do), but I found it helps quite a bit in making characters. It also has a long list of hobbies, since you mentioned having trouble with that part.