Hydaelyn Role-Players
Warm Greetings - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Warm Greetings (/showthread.php?tid=5916)

Pages: 1 2

Warm Greetings - Seleos - 12-25-2013

Hello, everyone.

I just recently started playing FF XIV a few days ago and am quite entranced by the game.  I found this site by searching for Final Fantasy XIV roleplay in the good ole internet search engine.  I am not at all new to MMORPG's or RP, but I am new to the world of Final Fantasy.  I am currently seeking information on the lore and setting so as to feel a bit more comfortable with how I might like to RP my character.  I have ideas, but I want to be sure they fit as well as just familiarizing myself for my own sake.

I am playing on Balmung, and I have seen quite a bit of RP at various places in the cities.  This is a very nice thing to encounter in such seeming abundance.  I do hope to find friendly, like-minded people with whom to enjoy the game and it's RP potential.  I have RP'd in all sorts of guilds, everything from light to heavy.  I generally tend to decide which to join based mostly on the people than anything else.

Good day to you all. Smile

RE: Warm Greetings - ansemaru - 12-25-2013

If you have any questions about the lore at all, the people here will doubtlessly be willing to answer them and get you situated for whatever you need to know to play your character. We're a dedicated, passionate bunch, and we've made knowing all there is to know about the world of the game our business, so to speak.

So I guess what I'm saying is: do you have any questions?

RE: Warm Greetings - Seleos - 12-25-2013

Thank you.

Well, as of now, I am mainly trying to familiarize myself with some of the geography, political landscape, recent history, etc.  I created a Highlander, and from what I can gather, there is history of Hyurs all migrating to Eorzea.  This makes me wonder when they all did so, why, and in what sort of numbers?  Are we to say that no Hyurs could be born in Eorzea?

This is all in effort to formulate the where's and when's of my character's backstory.

The good news for you is that the Hyurs migrated to Eorzea centuries before your character would have even been born. There are likely more Hyur born in Eorzea than anywhere else at this point, so that's really not a concern.

But you mentioned playing a Highlander? They're a bit of a special case- many Highlanders are either refugees from or descended from refugees from the nation of Ala Mhigo, which was conquered by the Garlean empire about 15-20 years before the present day in the game. Not all of them are necessarily Ala Mhigan in ancestry, but the majority of that nation's population was Highlander prior to the invasion, and thus a large number of Highlanders trace their ancestry back to Ala Mhigo. When your character gets to a level in the mid-20s, you'll actually end up going to an Ala Mhigan community in the Thanalan region, and learn more about how they are living in the wake of losing their homeland, if you're at all interested in that backstory.

But if you don't want your character to be from there, there are Hyur in every major city-state, including the Elezen-dominated Ishgard. They've certainly been around for a long time, too, so don't worry about having to play a Hyur who has only recently migrated to Eorzea. You typically see the most Highlanders in and around Ul'dah, if that helps you at all to know.

Thank you.  That does help.  Very much.

Why would you see the majority of Highlanders in and around Ul'dah?

It's really just in terms of NPC distribution. It's a story element that a lot of refugees from the Calamity and the fall of Ala Mhigo before it ended up in Ul'dah, and the main hub of Ala Mhigan Highlander refugees- Little Ala Mhigo- is south of Ul'dah. Geographically speaking, Ala Mhigo is separated from Thanalan by the region of Gridania, but you don't see many Highlander NPCs there outside of a few in the village of Quarrymill- this is most likely due to the highly xenophobic culture of Gridania. They wouldn't want to be flooded by refugees from anything, and thus the Ala Mhigan people ended up having to pass on through to Thanalan instead. But there are Highlanders in every city-state- they just occur with greater frequency in Ul'dah.

Thank you very much for the information.  It has helped me quite a bit, as I had happened to want to include Ul'dan in my backstory. Smile

RE: Warm Greetings - LandStander - 12-25-2013

Not to mention that Ul'dah is known as a city with abundant wealth, so the refugee's would seek it out to get their lives back together.

In regards to the Hyur migration, this happened a super long time ago so you don't really need to worry about this. When then Hyur's came to Eorzea, they actually waged war against the native Elezen. The Elezen population kind of split with the Wildwood's doing most of the fighting and the Duskwights choosing to avoid the conflict. This caused the formation of those two different tribes. The Elezen eventually lost the war and the Hyur's just moved in. Since it happened so long ago there is not really much racism that exist due to this conflict between the Elezen and Hyur's. 

The era's are split up going from Umbral Era (an era filled with chaos) to an Astral Era (an era filled with peace). We are currently in the Seventh Umbral (or Astral, depending on if you are updating lore with the 2.1 patch) Era. 

Some wiki information on the Hyur's. If you find any other questions, please ask Big Grin. 

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Hyur

Thank you for the further information.  All of this is very kind and helpful. Smile

RE: Warm Greetings - Faye - 12-25-2013

Hey there, welcome to the server! If you're looking for an FC, Harbingers of the Dawn is a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. We also have an IC LS. We'd be happy to have you! You can learn more about us here or on our site. Please contact me if you're interested! Also, I'm happy to RP anytime so feel free to approach me if you see me around!

RE: Warm Greetings - Kieron Lohengrin - 12-25-2013

welcome to balmung =x

As a counter-offer to a more good-aligned FC, if you're interested in a character who's of a more criminal or artistic persuasion, I'd recommend looking into Lansquenet, the FC that I'm a part of. Depending on who you ask, we're a theatre troupe who also do work with smuggling, gambling rings, and thievery, or a bunch of criminal lowlifes posing as a bunch of entertainers. It's not for everyone, but I figured I should put a word in, in case your character concept suits either half of our FC's premise.

RE: Warm Greetings - Seleos - 12-26-2013

That sounds like a very fun group/concept, ansemaru; however, I am getting a feel for Viquara that she is 'good', though possibly a dark, or gray hero.  I can see opportunities for her to perhaps buck the system or not always agree with strict law or bureaucracy, but she would not be a full-on villain.

I will continue to come up with ideas for her as well as look for some casual RP to get a feel for her.  In addition to that, I am still getting my head around the game.  There is so much to see and do!

Thank you all again for the warm welcomes.

RE: Warm Greetings - LandStander - 12-26-2013

(12-25-2013, 11:44 PM)ansemaru Wrote: As a counter-offer to a more good-aligned FC, if you're interested in a character who's of a more criminal or artistic persuasion, I'd recommend looking into Lansquenet, the FC that I'm a part of. Depending on who you ask, we're a theatre troupe who also do work with smuggling, gambling rings, and thievery, or a bunch of criminal lowlifes posing as a bunch of entertainers. It's not for everyone, but I figured I should put a word in, in case your character concept suits either half of our FC's premise.

*cough* Just gotta get lucky with finding someone who can invite! Tongue

And Seleos, don't wimp out on us. Do it villain style! Join the dark side with me. We have mini cupcakes Moogle. 

My main started out as a complete antagonist, but she is starting to calm down a bit as her character develops. She still causes a lot trouble and even joined up with the Garleans for awhile. It provided a ton of character development for her and she is actually slightly aligning herself more towards neutral now. I don't think she will ever be a real hero, but who knows. 

If you ever want to get into the more fun villainy side of things there is a small villain LS that Andras Goetia (hopefully I didnt butcher the name) started up.

RE: Warm Greetings - Whittledown - 12-26-2013

(12-26-2013, 09:35 AM)Seleos Wrote: That sounds like a very fun group/concept, ansemaru; however, I am getting a feel for Viquara that she is 'good', though possibly a dark, or gray hero.  I can see opportunities for her to perhaps buck the system or not always agree with strict law or bureaucracy, but she would not be a full-on villain.

I will continue to come up with ideas for her as well as look for some casual RP to get a feel for her.  In addition to that, I am still getting my head around the game.  There is so much to see and do!

Thank you all again for the warm welcomes.
Hello!  Glad to see another gray hat here on Balmung! 

I hate making blatant plugs but the Black Lotus Cartel is built as a group of people who in general terms try to do good for the world but also want to make mountains of gil and don't really care about stepping on the toes of people in power.

Site is lotus-cartel.enjin.com if you're curious Big Grin