Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plot-Based RP FC - Reflections, Lessons, Stuff - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plot-Based RP FC - Reflections, Lessons, Stuff (/showthread.php?tid=5844)

Plot-Based RP FC - Reflections, Lessons, Stuff - Lupo - 12-17-2013

Hi all!

So my name is Lupo, better known as Balthazar Lupo on the Balmung Server. I started a Free Company that was focusing on plot based RP, called Crystallum Libraria, about 4 weeks after launch and sometime Mid-November had it added here on RPC. Currently, we are only 8 strong, with about 4 active players and a few active friends who left the FC in favor of larger and more organized FC.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts and experiences up until this point - my hope being it helps any budding Plot Based RP FC get started and not make the same mistakes, etc etc. I'll admit I am also going to sound a tiny bit complainy, but I do honestly want the community's feedback.

Anyway, without further ado:

When I started the company, it was early enough in the lifetime of the game where it would be feasable to grab new members. Within the first day, I had the company established and about 6 members. Within 3 days, we were rank 5. However, this was not attained through any planning, rather it just worked out that way since people were running fates to Level. This was a fun time, but I wasn't able to focus on recruiting and therefore we didn't have any growth. Which brings me to the first Lesson.
  • Lesson 1: Keep Recruiting! You want a fairly large FC to accomodate the many people who will want to RP at seemingly random times! It'll also make it much easier to get a good healthy group of RPers on for an event - THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT FOR PLOTS. I'd recommend an FC size of 20 or so, with 10 or so active during events.

So you can imagine, I was able to get a few great people to join up. They were on everyday, we would RP a little bit and we would also run dungeons together and help each other to lvl 50. It was fun, but I admit there wasn't enough interest in getting a group together. By this I mean, unless I instigated it, no RP usually started with our FC. This brings me to the next lesson.
  • Lesson 2: A lot of people like RP, but many of them do not want to be the ones to start RPing. Its a good idea to find some officers who really love RP to help you, the FC leader, put groups together to get players comfortable with each other and get them RPing. Remember, a lot of people are playing the game to play not organize, so prepare to do a LOT of it for them until things get in the groove.

And now I come upon the Plot Based RP. This was fun. I set up a plot and had everyone meet. We picked up a few random players for it, and away we went! There were very interesting characters but I ended up largely driving the plot myself, many RPers taking the back seat and not wanting to be too creative or surprising. This brings me to my next lesson.
  • Lesson 3: Plot based RP needs to be organized and very active. People RPing in the Plot need to be interactive and not reactive, meaning they need to help drive the plot along. If only one guy is driving the bus it makes for very boring RP.

With that being said, from then on it started dying. Its probably my fault as even though I was actively in game everyday, the people I had picked to join the FC didn't really want to have too much responsibility or help making the FC work. They wanted to play, which is fine. This brings me to the final lesson I learned.
  • Lesson 4: Your FC Members are key! They make you're whole FC! Without a great core who is willing to share the ups, the downs, the work, and the fun with you, I think a Plot-Based RP FC is a little too much to get started. Find like minded players, and not necessarily the ones who just open RP all the time. Remember Plot based RP requires lots of thought - its like improv and acting - its not always fun but it is always rewarding and awesome at the end of the day.

Aftermath: My FC still exists to this day, but it is my shear stubborness that keeps it alive. Even if it whittles down to only 3 members, I'll probably never disband it since this all started because I wanted to be a leader of my own FC and have my own FC house. That being said, I'll end with one word of warning and encouragement.

Build an FC with Great Core Members! They are Essential! And even when the going is tough don't give up! Those of you out there attempting to do what I attempted, I wish you the best of luck and don't give in! I hope you succeed where I have failed.

Thanks for readin' everybody!