Hydaelyn Role-Players
I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: I dont Want to be that guy but..... (/showthread.php?tid=5766)

I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Trigonxv - 12-11-2013

I think RPC needs a security update. why do I say this Idk i just get this feeling every now and then, this feeling is usually coupled with the purchasing of jewelry of a well versed variety. Sorry I don't mean to troll but i found it quite hilarious that purchasing jewelry was the first thing i see on the main page.

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Aysun - 12-12-2013

(12-11-2013, 07:09 AM)Trigonxv Wrote: I think RPC needs a security update. why do I say this Idk i just get this feeling every now and then, this feeling is usually coupled with the purchasing of jewelry of a well versed variety. Sorry I don't mean to troll but i found it quite hilarious that purchasing jewelry was the first thing i see on the main page.

I don't want to be that girl but..

What?

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Trigonxv - 12-12-2013

Lol the admins quickly took it off but VERY early in the morning the other day a spam bot selling jewelry made its way somehow onto the front page of the rpc, I had a good laugh seeing that and just felt the incessant need to point it outEvil

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - LiadansWhisper - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 06:51 PM)Trigonxv Wrote: Lol the admins quickly took it off but VERY early in the morning the other day a spam bot selling jewelry made its way somehow onto the front page of the rpc, I had a good laugh seeing that and just felt the incessant need to point it outEvil

Happens from time to time.  Generally over the weekend.  The same spam bots also hit MMO Champion, and they have a pretty stringent set of security stuff.

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Kylin - 12-12-2013

Unfortunately, there's only so much that can be done to stop spam on large forums like this. Doing too much more can start to impede on the rest of the users (such as forcing them to put in a code every time they post, changing user posting permissions that would make life difficult for newbies, etc). So the only thing that can be done is at the registration screen for the most part. There's a security question (related to FFXIV common knowledge) as well as an image verification. While there are other measures that could be taken, such measures would impede on other users more than necessary and I'd rather avoid taking the SE approach of punishing others for the actions of a few spammers here and there. We do promptly delete such posts though and encourage people to report them immediately if we don't see it right away.

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Trigonxv - 12-12-2013

ill make sure to report any early morning strikes seeing as i usually log on for a quick bit very early before i sleep

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - LiadansWhisper - 12-12-2013

I dunno, sometimes they're really entertaining.  >.>

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Tla - 12-13-2013

I think it's normal, I've always seen them in each and every forum. But they're all disappeared as soon as a moderator logs, so I don't see much of a problem with it myself. 
Plus, my characters kinda need some jewels, maybe I should have contacted them :O

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Aysun - 12-13-2013

(12-12-2013, 11:31 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I dunno, sometimes they're really entertaining.  >.>

There's been a couple times that they've left a spambot thread up to giggle at for awhile before removing it. x3

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Maril - 12-15-2013

Rift's official forums usually get plagued by spam bots that wants to sell kitchens. 

Kitchens.. 

For gamers.. 

I don't know about you guys, but I never stopped up mid gaming-session and thought to myself, that I must buy a kitchen.

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Merri - 12-15-2013

It generally takes us all of fifteen seconds to delete the posts and ban said accounts, but as Kylin mentioned, that's about all that we can do right now. People are usually pretty good about reporting them, so we're always immediately aware when we log on. Best thing to do is just report it and ignore it. I'm pretty sure no one needs the reminder, but I'll say it anyways because safety first~

Make sure not to click any of the links!

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - LiadansWhisper - 12-15-2013

(12-15-2013, 07:27 AM)Merri Wrote: It generally takes us all of fifteen seconds to delete the posts and ban said accounts, but as Kylin mentioned, that's about all that we can do right now. People are usually pretty good about reporting them, so we're always immediately aware when we log on. Best thing to do is just report it and ignore it. I'm pretty sure no one needs the reminder, but I'll say it anyways because safety first~

Make sure not to click any of the links!

But they're pretty, and shiny, and it says I get a pony if I click it.. D:

Bouncy

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Lan Darklyn - 12-15-2013

Well I could use a new kitchen! I'd totally stop a instance run just to go admire marble counters...oh and one of those awesome double ovens! lol

RE: I dont Want to be that guy but..... - Tla - 12-15-2013

Honestly, everytime I open the game i consider buying a kitchen, subliminary! But yeah now that i think about it, why it's most spam about kitchens?o.o It's not really a product you buy in chain lol