Hydaelyn Role-Players
Chakra for Monks - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Chakra for Monks (/showthread.php?tid=5723)

Chakra for Monks - Sigyn - 12-07-2013

Okay, quick query. So, I understand the Fists of Rhalgr were more or less destroyed some time ago and yet I've been doing a healthy amount of research for my monk character. I'll not give any spoilers as to my reasoning but I've hit something of a roadblock in regards to the seven levels of chakra in Eorzea:

First off, chakra seems to relate predominantly to spiritual harmony and the like. The fact that they're followers of Rhalgr (and thus I imagine lots and lots of violence as opposed to traditional eastern or even western monks) notwithstanding, I'm not sure what the different levels symbolize or how anyone goes about unlocking them. If this is included later in the class quest please feel free to spoiler me. Otherwise I can't seem to turn up much and I'm wondering if I should simply go with the most likely interpretation turning the real levels and purposes of chakra into something that sounds like it could pertain to the control of one's own internal aether and the harmony of that versus their immediate environment.

Thanks for the time if anyone takes a look. <3

RE: Chakra for Monks - Gideon Aryeh - 12-07-2013

(12-07-2013, 02:20 PM)Sigyn Shieldbreaker Wrote: Okay, quick query. So, I understand the Fists of Rhalgr were more or less destroyed some time ago and yet I've been doing a healthy amount of research for my monk character. I'll not give any spoilers as to my reasoning but I've hit something of a roadblock in regards to the seven levels of chakra in Eorzea:

First off, chakra seems to relate predominantly to spiritual harmony and the like. The fact that they're followers of Rhalgr (and thus I imagine lots and lots of violence as opposed to traditional eastern or even western monks) notwithstanding, I'm not sure what the different levels symbolize or how anyone goes about unlocking them. If this is included later in the class quest please feel free to spoiler me. Otherwise I can't seem to turn up much and I'm wondering if I should simply go with the most likely interpretation turning the real levels and purposes of chakra into something that sounds like it could pertain to the control of one's own internal aether and the harmony of that versus their immediate environment.

I pretty much go with internal Aether control myself in rp, it just makes it easier imo and has provided some great rp so far for me.

RE: Chakra for Monks - Sigyn - 12-07-2013

(12-07-2013, 02:24 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 02:20 PM)Sigyn Shieldbreaker Wrote: Okay, quick query. So, I understand the Fists of Rhalgr were more or less destroyed some time ago and yet I've been doing a healthy amount of research for my monk character. I'll not give any spoilers as to my reasoning but I've hit something of a roadblock in regards to the seven levels of chakra in Eorzea:

I pretty much go with internal Aether control myself in rp, it just makes it easier imo and has provided some great rp so far for me.

I want to go that route as well, basically. Though I feel like different levels should open more potential (power potential) but I'm not sure what makes the most logical sense in order, you know? I don't ever expect my character will reach the seventh or even the sixth levels but aspiring to them is something.

Here's what I found for actual chakra:

Silly link... http://threeheartscompany.com/chakra.html#indigo

I'm thinking of working from Red up towards Violet. I may just come up with an interpretation of what each level means somewhat corresponding to the actual chakra significances but I don't want to tread on lore/anything else if there's something available to reference instead. I suppose the only thing I can think to relate it to, in a much weaker sense, is Rock Lee and his eight gates of chakra.

RE: Chakra for Monks - LeCard - 12-07-2013

I haven't found anything regarding color or such(or even proper names) for the different levels of chakra while playing my monk. However, I can say that the different levels are opened by gaining a certain(though unspecified) level of Aether within the body.
Show Content

While the skills you learn are skills from the Fist of Rhalgar sect of monks, there very well could be other secs that have trained and learned to use the chakra gates for something less destructive.

RE: Chakra for Monks - Sophia_Grave - 12-07-2013

Chakra, at least in real life metaphysics (lol), are points in the body where your nadiis (sort of like your veins, except spiritual energy instead of blood) converge into knots. Those seven chakra are just the most important ones, there's supposedly a bunch. Its a convoluted subject, as many eastern cultures have their own take on the concept. For example, the concept of Qi closely resembles this.

Basically, opening up your various chakra brings you closer to oneness with God, with each Chakra governing a different set of traits. In FFXIV, I suppose that spritual energy could be described as Aether, though honestly I'm not well-versed in this game's metyaphysics either.

RE: Chakra for Monks - Sigyn - 12-07-2013

Thank you both very much for the info! I planned on refraining from referring to the levels by 'color' but now I know there may be 'short cuts' even if they won't be used, they can be referenced as at least a way people have accomplished their unlocking before.

I read a bit about chakra but referring to it as sort of a spiritual circulatory system is the simplest understanding that I prefer. In essence I think reaching that highest level and the 'oneness' with their god, in this case Rhalgr, seems a reasonable goal for a monk.

Thank you guys again~!

RE: Chakra for Monks - Kieron Lohengrin - 12-08-2013

"Chakra" is simply another term for aether, controlled by monks inside their bodies as opposed to being cast as spells outside of the body. The NPC researcher Erik mentions it during the series of monk quests.

Previous discussion here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5670

RE: Chakra for Monks - LeCard - 12-08-2013

(12-08-2013, 05:20 AM)Kieron Lohengrin Wrote: "Chakra" is simply another term for aether, controlled by monks inside their bodies as opposed to being cast as spells outside of the body. The NPC researcher Erik mentions it during the series of monk quests.

Previous discussion here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5670

He also says that he can't explain how the monk is doing it. So I kinda threw his definition of it out the window as the standard "scientist trying to explain the unscientific to make themselves feel better"

RE: Chakra for Monks - Sigyn - 12-08-2013

I've kind of assumed that chakra -is- aether but it's specifically an individual's aether in their body that they can control. And that it travels as though it were an extremely expansive circulatory system instead of simply 'sitting' throughout the whole body. I don't think that argues with the scholar's definition or trespasses on the idea of it being controlled and manipulated.