Hydaelyn Role-Players
Height conversions. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Height conversions. (/showthread.php?tid=539)

Pages: 1 2

Height conversions. - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

I'd like to make, or see a list of XIV to RL conversions of our best guesses regarding height in-game, but of course I need a lot of people of a lot of races with different height settings...all within an area I can access.

I have a tallest human female in Gard.
I have a tallest Miqo'te in Limsa.
I forget how tall my male human is.

So, if we can all...gather somewhere, sometime and try to hash out conversions into feet/inches and centimeters/meters and post it up somewhere, think people would appreciate it.

Re: Height conversions. - Tadir - 09-03-2010

Have the character stand in a doorway. The doorways, if it is a normal doorway, should be 8 feet. Otherwise have them stand next to a bar or shop counter. I can get the height of those. Measure from that.

I think figuring out heights is a great idea.

Re: Height conversions. - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

Going off the doorways sounds like a pretty good idea. Suppose we can take an average of everyone's guesses from that, so they can all work independently.

You are a genius, good sir!

I've had to do it for my job. Sometimes we don't know the height of a 3D model, so we slap it in a doorway to figure it out.

Re: Height conversions. - falcolas - 09-03-2010

I vote similar to Tadir, but with one major exception. Base it off the average Hyur male. Give that a value of ~5'10" (6' even if you want to make it easier), and go from there. Doorways in games rarely conform to real life doorways - particularly when you have a "giant" race that you need to be able to fit through there.

That was my main concern about the doorways.

Bars, counters, stuff like that tend to be between 42 and 44 inches. That really doesn't change much in video games even with tall creatures. So we can go off a Hyur male at 5'10 (seems very short to me) or the bar at 44 inches. Or both at the SAME TIME!

I know. I just blew your minds. I'm sorry. I do that sometimes. I'm kinda smrt.

Re: Height conversions. - Samriel - 09-03-2010

My characters are either very very small, or gigantic. Details? Oooh.. I'm bad at the numbers :3

Most of my chars, considering they are usually kids or teens, are between 51 and 62 inches. So, say the average of my characters is ehm .. Think that would be 4'5 or something?

Edit; Using Real-Life human height, not sure about in the game! Think about the same right?

Re: Height conversions. - Trizzip - 09-03-2010

Keir is already on top of it. Any extra data that you would like to contribute to heights, please put them on this thread for the sake of having a 'one stop shop' for subjects related to this. Time and Measurements in Hydaelyn

Re: Height conversions. - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

Brin Ahlrine Wrote:Keir is already on top of it. Any extra data that you would like to contribute to heights, please put them on this thread for the sake of having a 'one stop shop' for subjects related to this. Time and Measurements in Hydaelyn

Once we get this information made, it could fit in there, but it wouldn't be instantly recognizable for people looking for heights unless he edited his title some.

Re: Height conversions. - Tsen - 09-13-2010

So the Miqo'te equivilent of a 5'10" Human female would be what... 5'6" or so?

Re: Height conversions. - Kashemia - 09-14-2010

I have the tallest Miqo'te setting, and she seem to be just a tad smaller than female Hyur... Though pretty much the same. Of course I'm not sure if that is a small, an average or a tall Hyur <.<

Re: Height conversions. - Tsen - 09-14-2010

Kashemia Wrote:I have the tallest Miqo'te setting, and she seem to be just a tad smaller than female Hyur... Though pretty much the same. Of course I'm not sure if that is a small, an average or a tall Hyur <.<

Yeah, I use the tallest settings as well and I've seen female Hyur I'm actually the same height or slightly taller then. At around 5'6" or so for the tallest Miqo'te, that would make sense.

Re: Height conversions. - Folken - 09-15-2010

These should help =/

Average Comparison

Hyur Midlander Male

Hyur Midlander Female

Hyur Highlander

Elezen Male

Elezen Female

Lalafell Male

Lalafell Female

Miqo'te

Roegadyn

Re: Height conversions. - Verence - 09-15-2010

Thanks for that. I'm actually curious about heights myself. IIRC, SE stated somewhere in an interview that Medium height male Humes in XI were 5'10", so it seems a safe enough assumption to use here. As a 5'10" Midlander Hyur Male IRL, a bit of measuring tape lets me figure out all sorts of things. :mrgreen:

First off, the difference between heights for Midlander Hyur Male seems to be 3" per tier. Thus,

For Midlander Hyur M:
Tallest - 6'4"
Tall - 6'1"
Average - 5'10"
Short - 5'7"
Shortest - 5'4"

Hyur F average: 5'6"

Miqo'te average: 5'2"

Lalafell M average: 3'1"

Lalafell F average: 3'

It's a bit harder for me to wrangle out Elezen and Roegadyn heights since it's hard to take precise reference points that are above your own head... Also I didn't list comparative heights for the other races 'cause I'm not positive the 3" rule holds for them. I really doubt it does for Lalafell.

Re: Height conversions. - Trizzip - 09-17-2010

Nice work! ^.^

If more data could be compiled and edited into the OP, that'd make a great addition to my Guide/Databases links.