Hydaelyn Role-Players
So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! (/showthread.php?tid=530)

Pages: 1 2

So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

What are your impressions thus far? Has anyone done any RPing as of yet?

I enjoy the story and the mechanics for the most part, but I am hearing rumblings that once you finish off the brief starter city storyline...there's nothing else. You grind mobs and guildleves forever. I'm certain this is not the case though, as that would be...insane.

((Note: If the servers are actually not down and it's just me, what the heck is going on with my client?))

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Vareal - 09-03-2010

I haven't met anyone from the RPC in game yet, but I'm loving every minute of game time Smile

Oh yah, servers are down (at least a few of them, including Besaid) http://www.ffxiv-status.com

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

Drives me nuts as I was just about to test if my 360 controller layout was good for combat or not.

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Shamadconde - 09-03-2010

Servers will be down until 0300 PDT. Gotten from https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php You need a beta account to get in and lurk.

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Satisiun - 09-03-2010

I think one reason that it feels as if there's an extra grind, at least to me, is because of the way the storyline has worked so far.

Now keep in mind I've not gotten to Open Beta yet, but I was in Closed Beta, and so I am going off of that. And what occurred in Closed was that the storyline missions would only unlock further and further with every increment of 10 levels.

In the case of FFXI, the progression of the storyline was not dependent on your highest job level, but simply by your nation standing (basically something built up either through trading crystals to guards, or repeating a repeatable nation mission). While yes, you still have to grind and level to actually be at a level to complete missions, you didn't feel like you had to grind to even begin a mission. It's subtle, almost a technical difference, but it makes a world of difference. In XI's case, you wanted to grind to see what happened next, because you'd be on a cliffhanger until you were ready. In XIV, once you hit 10, 20, 30, whatever, you can do the entirety of that mission's string, it seems.

Could be I am talking out of my butt, but that's just me. Laugh

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Trine - 09-03-2010

I'm really loving it! I haven't met anyone from RPC in game either but I know you're around... if you spot me (Meduna Macross//Calamity Cahn) feel free to say hi or initiate some sort or rp. I love spontaneous people ^_^ I realize most people are waiting for the commercial release before doing any serious rping and I don't expect any such interactions to be 'canon' or anything. Just figured it might be fun ^_^

Shamad Conde Wrote:Servers will be down until 0300 PDT. Gotten from https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php You need a beta account to get in and lurk.

This means 6am for me. boo. Might as well get some sleep.

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Seraphine Felstar - 09-03-2010

Each city has a brief storyline and then it's all guildleves and crafting. However, this in itself is diverse enough to keep you busy if you try them all out. My guess is they didn't want to spoil things for us when we're actually paying to play Laugh

Right now I'm still rolling on Limsa Lominsa. It has wonderful scenery, a great storyline and it's just a fun place to be. The ocean theme is great and lends itself well to breath-taking scenery. The storyline is full of intrigue and it's the first time I've done missions in a game without being forced Tongue My only complaint is that the lower level with Fisherman's Bottom is difficult to navigate.

After that Ul'dah is next in line for my favorite. I'll definitely create an alt there to see more of the storyline upon release if you can't do it all on one character. This was a surprise because I didn't think I would like it since once you step outside the city it's desolate. The cut scenes were pretty impressive and the characters appealed to me a lot. I've decided my Seraphine character has an Ul'dah accent as I love the way it sounds!

The least favorite of the starter cities is Gridania which is weird because when I first heard about it I thought that's where I'd end up. The two main characters in the beginning cut scenes just annoyed me because their voices were both squeaky and high pitched. All the earthy, hippie stuff got a little old for me as well. The scenery outside the city though was the best.

Wow... sorry for the wall of text >.> I didn't think I had such strong opinions yet but... surprise I guess Tongue

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Alevra - 09-03-2010

First impressions: "What a hell i cant move?!" <- i had bug which prevented me from doing anything with keyboard. After fixing it "ooo, finally MMO that feels like something new". Then i died first time and wondered for 10mins how to resurrect. Cry

Anyway, after learning the basics, had some ooc chatter with some people. Then i just explored all starting areas and now im going to test out crafting and gathering when servers come up. So far im loving it, and hopefully we all rpers end up in same place, great game for rp. Love the emotes there is. Big Grin

Crystal Wrote:Wow... sorry for the wall of text >.> I didn't think I had such strong opinions yet but... surprise I guess Tongue

That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Also, the hippy nature junk is right up my alley.

Alevra Wrote:First impressions: "What a hell i cant move?!" <- i had bug which prevented me from doing anything with keyboard. After fixing it "ooo, finally MMO that feels like something new". Then i died first time and wondered for 10mins how to resurrect. Cry

Anyway, after learning the basics, had some ooc chatter with some people. Then i just explored all starting areas and now im going to test out crafting and gathering when servers come up. So far im loving it, and hopefully we all rpers end up in same place, great game for rp. Love the emotes there is. Big Grin

Yeah, I had some issues trying to figure out how to resurrect until I found the teleport option in the main menu. Also, let me know how the 360 controller does. I've got one on standby.

vareal Wrote:Also, let me know how the 360 controller does. I've got one on standby.

So far for running around, menus, interacting..so far it's fantastic. No need to deal with the mouse lag that crops up.

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Alevra - 09-03-2010

Lunaticked Wrote:
vareal Wrote:Also, let me know how the 360 controller does. I've got one on standby.

So far for running around, menus, interacting..so far it's fantastic. No need to deal with the mouse lag that crops up.

Guess i have to buy one also... Rolleyes

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Tagyr - 09-03-2010

It's hard for me to gauge, as while I am playing beta I am limiting myself so it remains fresh and am pretty much exploring.

However...

It's a beautiful game that I've only begun to explore.
RPing prospects are all there. I mean they give you a freakin' boat ride for 10 minutes to get to Limsa from Uldah. A boat complete with a cabin underneath to relax for the 8 odd minutes your sailing. While a silly travel system compared to other MMOs. The RP prospect is priceless. They even have meeting places set up and nice big empty areas!

Game wise. I think it'll be enjoyed more with the friends I've made in BF. Rather than strangely named people who are all over the Open beta right now.

Re: So. While the servers are down..Your thoughts! - Jakky - 09-03-2010

I think Open Beta is a vast improvement on beta3.

The controls are just great, finally. The opening cutscenes are amazing. The graphics are beautiful.

I would have liked more character customization, but I think SE sharpened the character textures up a bit for OB, so meh.

Today I'll be trying crafting. It was an utter shambles in beta3, so I really hope it's had an overhaul.