Hydaelyn Role-Players
Introduction and Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Introduction and Questions (/showthread.php?tid=5194)

Pages: 1 2

Introduction and Questions - Talleth - 10-21-2013

Hello there!

I am not new to MMO's or to the genre at all (all the way back to pen and paper).

Some MMO's that I have played include (but are not limited to) Everquest (1 and 2), DaoC, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call (1 and 2), COH, COV, FFXI, GW, GW2, WoW, Rift, Secret World, Star Wars Old Replublic, and of course FFXIV...

I have hosted 4 guilds in 4 different games with EQ2 being the largest.

I have dabbled into the RP side off and on, and really like RP stories, but haven't ever really been serious about it.

Anyhow, I am interested in putting the RPG back into my MMORPG gaming (at least at some level).

All that being said, I think it is still safe to say that I am relatively new to the RP side of the gaming world, but I am eager to explore.

Some questions I have would be:

1) What are thoughts on RP'ing different roles, races, genders etc??  I like to play them all, but not sure if there is a unwritten rule about how OOC relates to IC in the way of race and gender etc...

2) How strict is everyone about names and stories?  I have a character "Grianne Ohmsford" that I created on Gilgamesh.  Yes that is the same character out of the Shannara series (from much later in the novels), but I really like the character and want to build on it.  This isn't a requirement, I can role a different one, but was just interested in the thoughts.

3) Is it possible to just be casual about it?  Like spend part of the time progressing (leveling) as well as role playing?

4) Being a little new to this side of the gaming, is there a Free Company or group that can adopt a couple of my characters and help me develope them?

So far my RP characters are on Gilgamesh, as that seems to be the new RP area.

Thanks in advance for the input Smile

RE: Introduction and Questions - Olofantur - 10-21-2013

Hello Taleth!

I'll do my best to address your questions, but in the mean time welcome to the RPC, nice to see some more EQ1 veterans taking the plunge.

Quote:1) What are thoughts on RP'ing different roles, races, genders etc?? I like to play them all, but not sure if there is a unwritten rule about how OOC relates to IC in the way of race and gender etc...
I don't see any problem with deviating from your "IRL" persona, unless i'm misunderstanding an you meen having (for example) A hyur character that you roleplay as Elezen, which.. while interesting, might cause a few eyebrows to raise. I'm sure you're familiar since you've been around the mmo scene, but so much of our initial information is reliant on observation that it could throw some people for a loop.

How ever if I go back to the idea that you perhaps mean playing a male character when you're female, well there's plenty already and they do pretty well! As well as the opposite. I myself am a Duskwight Elezen with dark skin, but my "real" self couldn't be more Aquitaine in apperance.

Quote:2) How strict is everyone about names and stories? I have a character "Grianne Ohmsford" that I created on Gilgamesh. Yes that is the same character out of the Shannara series (from much later in the novels), but I really like the character and want to build on it. This isn't a requirement, I can role a different one, but was just interested in the thoughts.
Varies from person to person, there is an understandable desire among some (myself included.) to keep most IRL references tangential at best for the sake of preserving the illusion, hard to see a character named Elmnister and not think of Ed Greenwoods novels no matter how good the Roleplayer is. Just an opinion, each person has their own triggers.

Quote:3) Is it possible to just be casual about it? Like spend part of the time progressing (leveling) as well as role playing?
Oh yeah, thats why you'll find a lot of the Character directories have the tag "light" "medium" or "heavy" RP, while these don't always mean how often you're in character, it does give a general idea. Lots of people are progression players or favor Dungeons and Guildhests, some even work them into the RP. We're a pretty inclusive bunch.

Quote:4) Being a little new to this side of the gaming, is there a Free Company or group that can adopt a couple of my characters and help me develope them?
I'd take a look at the Linkshell hall linked along the top bar of this page and see if any of those linkshells/free companies interest you. If one strikes your fancy, make a post or maybe PM them. You can usually run into a member or two out and about if that doesn't work, each has their intricacies, but all are rewarding when you become familiar with them.

Quote:So far my RP characters are on Gilgamesh, as that seems to be the new RP area.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "new" as much as "alternative", just another option for people who aren't fond of Legacy or are part of other communities.

Hope that helps! feel free to ask any more questions you might have, drop me a tell in game or meander around the Forums at your leisure. Good luck and good hunting in Eorzea!

RE: Introduction and Questions - IncubusManatee - 10-21-2013

(10-21-2013, 10:25 AM)Talleth Wrote: Hello there!

I am not new to MMO's or to the genre at all (all the way back to pen and paper).

Some MMO's that I have played include (but are not limited to) Everquest (1 and 2), DaoC, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call (1 and 2), COH, COV, FFXI, GW, GW2, WoW, Rift, Secret World, Star Wars Old Replublic, and of course FFXIV...

I have dabbled into the RP side off and on, and really like RP stories, but haven't ever really been serious about it.

Anyhow, I am interested in putting the RPG back into my MMORPG gaming (at least at some level).

All that being said, I think it is still safe to say that I am relatively new to the RP side of the gaming world, but I am eager to explore.

1) What are thoughts on RP'ing different roles, races, genders etc??  I like to play them all, but not sure if there is a unwritten rule about how OOC relates to IC in the way of race and gender etc...

2) How strict is everyone about names and stories?  I have a character "Grianne Ohmsford" that I created on Gilgamesh.  Yes that is the same character out of the Shannara series (from much later in the novels), but I really like the character and want to build on it.  This isn't a requirement, I can role a different one, but was just interested in the thoughts.

3) Is it possible to just be casual about it?  Like spend part of the time progressing (leveling) as well as role playing?

4) Being a little new to this side of the gaming, is there a Free Company or group that can adopt a couple of my characters and help me develope them?

Welcome to Gilgamesh! 

Lemme answer some things from my POV for you:

1) There is no reason not to play what you enjoy. Just as long as it's not crazy bad and tries to ruin everybody's day. You won't make friends easy that way. Tongue
(This is in a OOC context, if you wanna play a baddy ICly, that's way cool-fine-didly-fine.)

2) Most of the time players prefer you use a name that isn't related to a series. Since it may be a bit...immersion breaking. And overall odd. Imagine if someone wanted to play Legolas in a Sci-Fi setting with the same name and everything. IT would be extremely weird. Even if the genre's are the same, it's kinda odd to use the name from another character in a different universe. 

I've never even heard of that series, so I wouldn't even know the difference though. Tongue Aslong as it doesn't have cross-over from that universe into this one, I would be fine. 

Now that I know, I would more of suggest styling your character after that one, and giving it a different name. One unique to how you see her. 

But that is all up to you! 

3) Yes! Absolutely! I do this. I spend time RP'ing then go level. But I usually put more time into RP, since I like it  alot. It's only a preference. Balance it how you wish! Big Grin

4) Ofcourse! There are a lot of FC's out there that you can put your characters into. Pick ones according to your characters personality's, or even have them diametrically opposed! RP in general will allow you to grow them in time. 

I'm gonna be shameless and say you should look into: Pirates of the Wayward Star, Blackwater Company and the LS, Ambrosia. *Whistles innocently*

If you ever want to RP or hang out, give me a tell in game! Names: Baer Reddicta.

RE: Introduction and Questions - Talleth - 10-21-2013

Thanks for the input! That helps a lot...  Following are some responses:

Quote:How ever if I go back to the idea that you perhaps mean playing a male character when you're female, well there's plenty already and they do pretty well! As well as the opposite. I myself am a Duskwight Elezen with dark skin, but my "real" self couldn't be more Aquitaine in apperance.

No no, just male playing female and vice-versa...

Quote:Varies from person to person, there is an understandable desire among some (myself included.) to keep most IRL references tangential at best for the sake of preserving the illusion, hard to see a character named Elmnister and not think of Ed Greenwoods novels no matter how good the Roleplayer is. Just an opinion, each person has their own triggers.

I was really thinking more along the lines of using the same (or close to the same) character. She left that world to join another (in the series) and the story sort of ends there... I was wondering if it were possible to sort of pick up where it left off (not just recycle the name).  It could possibly carry over gracefully, but could also be a stretch to make it work.

I figured this could be a point of contention, so I have other original characters I can play as well...

Quote:Oh yeah, thats why you'll find a lot of the Character directories have the tag "light" "medium" or "heavy" RP, while these don't always mean how often you're in character, it does give a general idea. Lots of people are progression players or favor Dungeons and Guildhests, some even work them into the RP. We're a pretty inclusive bunch.

This is good to know... I know that I will need plenty of time to progress etc...

Anyhow, thanks again for all the input and advice, I'll see if I can get connected with a Hydaelyn Free Company affiliate in the game, till then!

(10-21-2013, 11:05 AM)IncubusManatee Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 10:25 AM)Talleth Wrote: Hello there!

Welcome to Gilgamesh! 

Lemme answer some things from my POV for you:

1) There is no reason not to play what you enjoy. Just as long as it's not crazy bad and tries to ruin everybody's day. You won't make friends easy that way. Tongue
(This is in a OOC context, if you wanna play a baddy ICly, that's way cool-fine-didly-fine.)

2) Most of the time players prefer you use a name that isn't related to a series. Since it may be a bit...immersion breaking. And overall odd. Imagine if someone wanted to play Legolas in a Sci-Fi setting with the same name and everything. IT would be extremely weird. Even if the genre's are the same, it's kinda odd to use the name from another character in a different universe. 

I've never even heard of that series, so I wouldn't even know the difference though. Tongue Aslong as it doesn't have cross-over from that universe into this one, I would be fine. 

Now that I know, I would more of suggest styling your character after that one, and giving it a different name. One unique to how you see her. 

But that is all up to you! 

3) Yes! Absolutely! I do this. I spend time RP'ing then go level. But I usually put more time into RP, since I like it  alot. It's only a preference. Balance it how you wish! Big Grin

4) Ofcourse! There are a lot of FC's out there that you can put your characters into. Pick ones according to your characters personality's, or even have them diametrically opposed! RP in general will allow you to grow them in time. 

I'm gonna be shameless and say you should look into: Pirates of the Wayward Star, Blackwater Company and the LS, Ambrosia. *Whistles innocently*

If you ever want to RP or hang out, give me a tell in game! Names: Baer Reddicta.

Thanks for all of the input.  I think I may just take your advice and perhaps use a different name, but maybe the same idea or something.

I will look you and your FC/Linkshell suggestions up, thanks!

Glad to help!

I (personally) think the idea of continuing a character would be interesting.. but like how Lightning raised quite the rabble when they announced her FATE I would prepare yourself for a little ogling. Its not unheard of though, I know a certain Doctor has shown up from time to time around Eorzea.

On the note of linkshells I recommend all Gilgameshers (n's? ites? bah) take a look at:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3116
I don't know Rock that well, but his comments and commitment are dedicated to promoting Roleplayers in a variety of forms.

RE: Introduction and Questions - Ouma - 10-21-2013

um hmm... IM OUMA! and im new starting today .-. i got the name ouma from guilty crown ( Ouma shu ) ive played in Rp clans and all but i dont know how to play them in FF .-. im 20 and i love to rp and no i havent even created a character i just got the game i know newbie status v.v but i do put effort in what i do. ive played WKC and was in 3 guilds and fought hard with them and would like to be in one that rp and helps thats all

(10-21-2013, 01:57 PM)Ouma Wrote: um hmm... IM OUMA! and im new starting today .-. i got the name ouma from guilty crown ( Ouma shu ) ive played in Rp clans and all but i dont know how to play them in FF .-. im 20 and i love to rp and no i havent even created a character i just got the game i know newbie status v.v but i do put effort in what i do. ive played WKC and was in 3 guilds and fought hard with them and would like to be in one that rp and helps thats all

Hello and welcome to the RPC Ouma,

A few tips before you get started. take some time to input a character name and server under your control panel when you get up and running, this will make it a bit easier for people to get an idea of what to suggest, and put a name to a face in game. (it'll show up on the left hand side under your picture when you post.)

Your welcome to take a look around, peruse the wiki and the forums to fill any gaps in knowledge you might have. Maybe take a look at the Linkshell hall for what groups you might be interested in.

I'm not familiar with Guilty crown, but after a quick google it seems interesting, i'll have to add the Manga to my "read" list.

Quote: but i dont know how to play them in FF
I'm not quite sure what you refer to with this, are you unfamiliar with the emotes? or are perhaps unsure of how to meet people? If you can expand on it a little i'll do my best to provide you with some information.

We're a pretty friendly bunch, being a newbie is nothing new (heh) so don't feel worried about asking questions, its all part of the learning process!

Best of luck out in Eorzea!

(10-21-2013, 02:08 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 01:57 PM)Ouma Wrote: um hmm... IM OUMA! and im new starting today .-. i got the name ouma from guilty crown ( Ouma shu ) ive played in Rp clans and all but i dont know how to play them in FF .-. im 20 and i love to rp and no i havent even created a character i just got the game i know newbie status v.v but i do put effort in what i do. ive played WKC and was in 3 guilds and fought hard with them and would like to be in one that rp and helps thats all

Hello and welcome to the RPC Ouma,

A few tips before you get started. take some time to input a character name and server under your control panel when you get up and running, this will make it a bit easier for people to get an idea of what to suggest, and put a name to a face in game. (it'll show up on the left hand side under your picture when you post.)

Your welcome to take a look around, peruse the wiki and the forums to fill any gaps in knowledge you might have. Maybe take a look at the Linkshell hall for what groups you might be interested in.

I'm not familiar with Guilty crown, but after a quick google it seems interesting, i'll have to add the Manga to my "read" list.

Quote: but i dont know how to play them in FF
I'm not quite sure what you refer to with this, are you unfamiliar with the emotes? or are perhaps unsure of how to meet people? If you can expand on it a little i'll do my best to provide you with some information.

We're a pretty friendly bunch, being a newbie is nothing new (heh) so don't feel worried about asking questions, its all part of the learning process!

Best of luck out in Eorzea!

i know nothing about FF role playing i meant. i havent played a ff game in a while. so i clueless on worlds places etc... when the game is done thats when i create my character right? im on a browser on the ps3 downloading it says .-. i know that i have to create a story for my character and all which i will do one the game downloads. the website is big and to be honest i kinda got scared while looking through and felt out of place for a bit. Guilty Crown is a great anime show but i dont know if they have a book

(10-21-2013, 02:35 PM)Ouma Wrote: i know nothing about FF role playing i meant. i havent played a ff game in a while. so i clueless on worlds places etc... when the game is done thats when i create my character right? im on a browser on the ps3 downloading it says .-. i know that i have to create a story for my character and all which i will do one the game downloads. the website is big and to be honest i kinda got scared while looking through and felt out of place for a bit. Guilty Crown is a great anime show but i dont know if they have a book

Just as a note, except for very out of the norm events *cough*Lightning*Cough* Most FF games operate within the vacuum, is what I was going to say, but then I remembered all the cross events and references that have been cropping up in a the wake of 10. Suffice to say you don't need to know the other games to know this one. There are some nods to other games, and a few cameos but they're far and few between for the most part. (Cid, Biggs, Wedge etc.)

You're right in that you'll create your character and choose your server when you log in for the first time.

As far as "how" to roleplay, that can be different depending on the person. I don't do much roleplay on the forums, but I do some coordination there to set up events that i'll then attend in game. But my bread and butter is simply in game interaction, using a series of emotes, the "/em" command, and /say to strike up conversation. I try to focus my efforts in networking at the moment, gathering together crafters, merchants and mercenaries whose skills i'll need as I move forward along my own story, and who I hope to help with theirs when the time comes.

On the topic of the website, take your time to get your feet under yourself. There is a lot to take in and it can be a bit daunting, but the reward is a better understanding of the world and people you'll be interacting with. Don't worry too much about learning as you go however, its something I think we all do with one or two aspects, for myself it was Limsa, i've never really cared for pirate folk, but coming to know them through the context of the story made me appreciate them more than I thought I would.

Hope that helps, again feel free to ask more questions.

(10-21-2013, 02:54 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 02:35 PM)Ouma Wrote: i know nothing about FF role playing i meant. i havent played a ff game in a while. so i clueless on worlds places etc... when the game is done thats when i create my character right? im on a browser on the ps3 downloading it says .-. i know that i have to create a story for my character and all which i will do one the game downloads. the website is big and to be honest i kinda got scared while looking through and felt out of place for a bit. Guilty Crown is a great anime show but i dont know if they have a book

Just as a note, except for very out of the norm events *cough*Lightning*Cough* Most FF games operate within the vacuum, is what I was going to say, but then I remembered all the cross events and references that have been cropping up in a the wake of 10. Suffice to say you don't need to know the other games to know this one. There are some nods to other games, and a few cameos but they're far and few between for the most part. (Cid, Biggs, Wedge etc.)

You're right in that you'll create your character and choose your server when you log in for the first time.

As far as "how" to roleplay, that can be different depending on the person. I don't do much roleplay on the forums, but I do some coordination there to set up events that i'll then attend in game. But my bread and butter is simply in game interaction, using a series of emotes, the "/em" command, and /say to strike up conversation. I try to focus my efforts in networking at the moment, gathering together crafters, merchants and mercenaries whose skills i'll need as I move forward along my own story, and who I hope to help with theirs when the time comes.

On the topic of the website, take your time to get your feet under yourself. There is a lot to take in and it can be a bit daunting, but the reward is a better understanding of the world and people you'll be interacting with. Don't worry too much about learning as you go however, its something I think we all do with one or two aspects, for myself it was Limsa, i've never really cared for pirate folk, but coming to know them through the context of the story made me appreciate them more than I thought I would.

Hope that helps, again feel free to ask more questions.
okay my last question which world should i pick?

(10-21-2013, 03:00 PM)Ouma Wrote: okay my last question which world should i pick?

Well, Balmung and Gilgamesh are the officially supported servers for the RPC. Maybe take a look at the linkshell hall to see what groups might interest you more between the two?

I primarily play on Balmung with an alt on Gilgamesh that I faff around with from time to time. But there are plenty of people on both.

RE: Introduction and Questions - Nnejo - 10-21-2013

Chose what makes you most comfortable as a writer, if you feel more at home playing a female then do so. And the same for playing a male. Choosing a race, I think, that depends moreso on which appeals to you more. I tend to chose races based on their supporting lore and whether or not I find it remotely interesting. The biggest rule in my book is that OOC should be kept separate from IC, always.

I can not speak for the server as a whole, but my personal opinion is that names should stick close to lore. When naming conventions are given. And if they do not then there should be a well written reason (in that characters background) that would explain that. ICly Vali has been known to question Miqo'te with non tribal names. Usually they are city cats etc. Which makes sense.

Of course! I try and strike a healthy balance with it myself. I usually take certain days to do either though. Most of the time it's to RP lol.

4) Being a little new to this side of the gaming, is there a Free Company or group that can adopt a couple of my characters and help me develop them?

I am always willing to assist with character development, I find it to be the most rewarding aspect of roleplaying. Depending on what you are looking for I would be glad to assist in whatever way I can. Or you can contact one of my guys from Ambrosia -points to Incubus- I run a linkshell that is attached to a Free Company, The Blackwater Company.

(10-21-2013, 03:00 PM)Ouma Wrote: okay my last question which world should i pick?
That is your call entirely, find which suits you best. Drop a character on both. We are pretty active here on Gilgamesh so come on over and check us out. My in game name is Y'Vali S'vikhalsma.

Quote:I am always willing to assist with character development, I find it to be the most rewarding aspect of roleplaying. Depending on what you are looking for I would be glad to assist in whatever way I can. Or you can contact one of my guys from Ambrosia -points to Incubus- I run a linkshell that is attached to a Free Company, The Blackwater Company.

That's great! I will definately look you up! Sounds like just the group of people that I am looking for!

sorry about replying late had to cook dinner and all. ill be looking in the linkshell stuff to help me out and how would i add you both? and link my account to here?