Hydaelyn Role-Players
The newbie train keeps on coming. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The newbie train keeps on coming. (/showthread.php?tid=5154)

The newbie train keeps on coming. - embergrin - 10-18-2013

I'm the caboose!

Idk. Hi, what's up. I just got the game a few days ago. Thumbsup I've been tinkering around on a couple different servers with a couple different friends, and through the magic of google, I found this place. Naturally, I made another character on the Gilgamesh server so I could get in on the action. Balmung looks like it may have a bit more going on, but it seemed a little intimidating. Either way, if you ever happen to see a tiny girl miqo'te bumbling around with the username Sib Cirha, that's me. She's still a newborn character and her story is actively being patched together, but I feel like I have a decent framework going on. I'm not very familiar with the FF universe so this is all fairly new to me, but I was all over some MMO RP back whenever I had a computer that could actually run MMOs. The concept is familiar at least!

I'm playing on the PS3 and I feel like things are going pretty well so far! I haven't gotten myself a usb keyboard yet. Text communication will be painfully slow with me in the actual game for the next 24 to 72 hours. But that's okay, because I'm still in the hideously embarrassing learning stage of pushing all the buttons at not necessarily the most appropriate of times. I'll probably be all over the forums to make up for it anyway. I've already lurked and read quite a bit already, so I'm feeling a little more comfortable navigating around here.

As for me, I'm 26, I live in the midwestern chunk of the USA, and I work many a strange flip-flop shifts, meaning my gaming hours will be odd. Other than that, I'm flying solo on the Gilgamesh server. I may be pestering some of you pretty hard whenever I get all the kinks worked out, because I'm sure I'll get lonely once I run out of buttons.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Olofantur - 10-18-2013

Choo~ Choo~ Welcome to the RPC

Sounds like you've already taken the time to become familiar with the area.

As a note, I understand the intimidation, but really its a friendly bunch of people (No matter the server.), there's always the opportunity to roll and alt and come join us in some shenanigans during your down time.

If you haven't had the chance already please feel free to take a look at the linkshell hall to get an idea of the groups on Gilgamesh that you might be interested in getting to know better.

A few resources (as far as lore is concerned) that you might want to check out if you feel hesitant about a certain topic:
http://xivwiki.com/Main_Page
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page

Hope that helps, remember that we're here to help, ask silly questions, muck about, make a day of it!

Good luck out there.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - embergrin - 10-18-2013

Thanks for the links! These seem like some good places to start, I've already found a couple helpful tidbits.

I'm about 85% sure I will have another character on Balmung at some point. I'm actually undecided on whether I want to transfer one of mine or start a brand new one, but I definitely want to keep something on Gilgamesh too. Hopefully there are a lot of miqo'te I can chew the fat with on this server! I'd love to get some clan headcanons and interaction going on there... one step at a time. Blush

But yeah, I've always had a thing for an underdog. Plus I remember being on less popular RP servers in other games. Many a day was spent wistfully staring and grabbyhandsing at new players who jumped ship to join the primary server, haha. Baby come back...

I can't deny that I'm a curious creature, though, so I'm going to have to snoop the main server.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Olofantur - 10-18-2013

/salute

well make sure to take your time,

The world is vast, old and a bit ridiculous! with lots of people to go along with it in both cases.

Hopefully some one from Gilgamesh can swoop by and point you in the right direction. I'm unsure about the Miqo'te conversation, but (if I recall correctly) there are quite a few discussions about a few major clans happening at the moment. (U' and W' I think.)

So long for now, remember to be large and in-charge!

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Zope - 10-18-2013

Welcome, other new person! I'm on the same train you are, new to the game and patchin' the character together. I'm kinda glad that a lot of the lore is explained via cinematic as you level the main quest, it's been pretty helpful!

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Siha - 10-18-2013

I'm pretty new myself but welcome! If you ever get bored and want to put around with another Miqo'te I'd be more than happy to plague you with some of mine. Siha or X'Nala!

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - embergrin - 10-19-2013

Thank you guys! I'm loving the cinematics too. It's really nice not having to read it all, since some of that text gets so tiny. Then again, that's what the internet is for, I guess!

And I'd love to, Moxxi! I should have sucked it up and got my usbkb today, but I started playing "for a little bit", and well. That was that. But I'll have one soon. Wink We can swap character details or whathaveyou in PMs in the meantime, if you'd like! I just found the character profiles in the wiki, and oh man. I so need to start making one of these.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Luka - 10-19-2013

Welcome! I'm also on both servers! I hope to see you around in game Smile And for the record, I'm loving Balmung! It's my main server and haven't really spent that much time yet on Gilgamesh. Add me in game sometime. BTW, you're miquote is very cute!

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - LandStander - 10-19-2013

Welcome! I have a few characters on Balmung if you ever find yourself on that side of the spectrum. And you shouldnt have any trouble finding some Miqo'te xD. They literally pour of every corner.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Maqali Qulaan - 10-19-2013

(10-19-2013, 04:20 AM)LandStander Wrote: Welcome! I have a few characters on Balmung if you ever find yourself on that side of the spectrum. And you shouldnt have any trouble finding some Miqo'te xD. They literally pour of every corner.
We are legion! Tongue

Also, feel free to say hi to me on Balmung, I always love meeting moar RP friends! I'm a Seeker Miqo'te of the Zu (S') tribe Smile

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Haven's Fox - 10-19-2013

Haha welcome! Give me a shout out in Gilgamesh and I'll give ya a hand if I'm on.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - embergrin - 10-19-2013

(10-19-2013, 02:05 AM)Luka Wrote: Welcome! I'm also on both servers! I hope to see you around in game Smile And for the record, I'm loving Balmung! It's my main server and haven't really spent that much time yet on Gilgamesh. Add me in game sometime. BTW, you're miquote is very cute!

I'll keep an eye out for you! I guess Balmung can't be too bad in terms of old:new player ratio, the game isn't that old. Aw, thank you! She's probably my favorite so far, but I have to admit, it's hard to make an ugly pc anyway!

(10-19-2013, 04:20 AM)LandStander Wrote: Welcome! I have a few characters on Balmung if you ever find yourself on that side of the spectrum. And you shouldnt have any trouble finding some Miqo'te xD. They literally pour of every corner.

Yesgood. Every day will be caturday.

(10-19-2013, 05:42 AM)S Wrote: We are legion! Tongue

Also, feel free to say hi to me on Balmung, I always love meeting moar RP friends! I'm a Seeker Miqo'te of the Zu (S') tribe Smile

Great! I'll have to holler at you when I poke my nose in there!

(10-19-2013, 07:46 AM)Haven Wrote: Haha welcome! Give me a shout out in Gilgamesh and I'll give ya a hand if I'm on.

Will do!

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Gideon Aryeh - 10-19-2013

Welcome to the site and to the server. If you haven't received your ooc linkshell yet to network with other roleplayers please hit me up in game! I'll be on later this evening today.

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - Siha - 10-19-2013

Yay! I'm happy to hear you'd like to put up with me, lol. My ideas with my current characters are kind of fluid, they have personalities but not really fully fleshed out histories. I need to sit and think about them I suppose but having an open history helps somewhat when it comes to building a story with others. :3

RE: The newbie train keeps on coming. - embergrin - 10-20-2013

I'm happy to put up with anyone and everyone! I'm the same way right now though; a different character's history just fell in to place without any effort, but Sib is being more difficult... I've got a handful of scattered ideas and traits, it's just putting them all together and building on them now. I'll have a couple days off after this shift today to work on stories and hit up some of you guys!

I'll need to get in on that linkshell action for sure too.