Hydaelyn Role-Players
Song Challenge - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Song Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5116)

Song Challenge - Tobias Nightbringer - 10-17-2013

Greetings and well met and all that good jazz! 

So, as some of you might have noticed or already read, I posted something in the Town Square (IC) section. Please feel free to check it out! Any kind of feedback, critique, and comments are very welcome! 

Show Content
I created this 'Song Challenge' as a sort of activity for any writers looking to maybe expand their writing abilities and provide an exercise for them. Now then, TO THE GUIDELINES/THINGS TO THINK ABOUT WHILE SELECTING YOUR SONG AND STORY! There WERE few and lose, but then my overactive brain kicked in xD
  • Most importantly, but unfortunately the TRICKIEST I believe, is writing the story in the time where it would not exceed the music. How close can you get your story to match up in length with the song? This is reminiscent of those who have had to write a story restricted by so many pages allowed. This is VERY hard to gauge because this depends on how fast someone reads. I suggest reading it yourself and being honest is the best way to judge.
  • No less important, but to keep the tempo of the story with the music as best as possible. For every rise and fall in the song, are there rise and falling actions in your story? Are there any change ups in the music that will make you have to transition scenes or do something else to keep with the flow?
  • If you are going to be critiquing anyone's piece, BE RESPECTFUL. I honestly do not feel like I should have to put this here because everyone is so nice and awesome, but JUST in case so as to avoid any Flame Wars.
  • Same goes with if you ARE BEING critiqued, have an open mind. Give every suggestion/critique some thought, even if you end up not heeding it. Ego and pride are the ruination of people. They are not attacking you personally as a writer, but rather just pointing something that might need to be addressed.
  • Optional, but if you feel like giving a track time of where the music should be during a specific part of the story, that might help keep everything 'synched'.
  • Of course, lastly, how immersed does it feel when reading the story and listening to the music? How well does the theme of the music fit with the theme of the story? Does it make sense for the history/back-story/etc. go with your music selection?
  • One more thing that might help develop a story to the music is what will be the in-res? The milieu? In-direct or direct characterization? Etc, etc.
So there you have it! If you can think of anything else to add to the guidelines, feel free to discuss here. This might be a VERY niche thing and Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this falls into the annals of RP history with me being the only one who tried this out. But! Hey, if I at least get a little more exposure and intrigue people to do some RPing, then starting this was worth it Tongue

Feel free to link your completed challenge here as well and I will start making a list! Happy writing and good luck!

Oh and one more thing, if you DO wish to participate in this, remember to at least put in the [Song Challenge] tag somewhere on the Thread Title! That way people will kind of know.