Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Nodem - 06-18-2017

"Grindstone never cancels!" ~Warren

Never have words been spoken truer as nothing halts the Grindstone, not even Early Access to an Expansion! Not even 90k's, whom ultimately won by claiming the most victims. There has to be a bounty out on the 90k beast by now I'm sure.

Nearly 40 Fighters walked into the fray tonight, but only one could come out a champion! The victor of the 194th Grindstone is:

Ehpo Pekhti
[Image: ffxiv_06182017_010515_zpsxjozsuxw.png]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Star Lin - 06-18-2017

Sorry John missed out on Grindstone last night.  Looks like the error code (2002) I was having issue with during queue is now not letting past the start screen.  Not sure when or if I'll be able to get back into game again.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Ehpo Pekhti - 06-18-2017

The fights were close and fun, a better showing than the first round elimination the previous week!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Gegenji - 06-25-2017

A little over 40 people came together despite massive queues and the looming threat of being DC'd! And from that lineup we have tonight's winner: Percival Turner!

[Image: KAxntli.jpg]

Thank you all for coming out, as always, and our condolences to those who were claimed by the red dot during proceedings (including our stalwart Arbiter).

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 07-02-2017

I live, I die, I live again! Tonight saw the redemption of the Whetstone!

Quote:[1:19]Warren Castille: Oliver, the Arbor champion, defeats Sil, the Bridge champion!
[1:19]Warren Castille: ...however...
[1:20]Warren Castille: The Whetstone has been sharpened, and Gegeruza will now face off with Oliver to determine out night's champion!

[Image: QldTb0Z.jpg]

Congratulations to Oliver Delvants for fending off both tournament foe and outside opponent!

The Whetstone has been turned in! The stage is set for Grindstone #200 which will be taking place on July 29th! We'll be doing the usual Money Where Your Mouth Is fight auction offer and the Whetstone will be back up for blind-auction!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 07-09-2017

The Grindstone in July! Still in the wake of the expansion, we had a respectable 44 people turn up for fighting! After all was said and done, we crowned a new champion in Talan Dracht!

[Image: ROKfLMo.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - The Brigand - 07-09-2017

I knew that guy was going place the moment he stood next to me. Tongue

Grats, and thanks for the fun all!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Nodem - 07-16-2017

56 people shows up to Grindstone tonight, but only one can come out on top. Tonight's champion is:

Vektis Sol
[Image: 3BIDZan.png]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 07-23-2017

Grindstone #199! We had 46 people turn up for fighting, and the end result was NEPOTISM as usual Grindstone healer Subtle Raptor won the whole damned thing with a bag full of rocks!

[Image: JPDq2Cx.jpg]

NEXT WEEK! Grindstone #200! We'll be reopening the fight bids once more and the Whetstone will be up for grabs to whomever offers the most for it.

If you've ever wanted to pick a fight with someone at the Grindstone, this is one of the rare chances anyone has to directly set up the match. So long as that person is actually amenable to the combat, you get your match if you put up the most gil for that person. If you're into that sort of thing, this also includes the people who stand around all hoity-toity on the rock.

So, what do we do with all of this money?

I put it into a big pile, documenting all of the incoming bucks on the spreadsheet (that's linked in my signature block, on the "Bids" tab!) and then dole out money to the winners of the Grindstone. We've got a long history of transparency and honest, as evidenced in the spreadsheets in my sig block: All of the winnings are accounted for and doled out!

How do I know you're not just going to take this and transfer servers?

You don't! If anything, take solace in the fact that you can't take more than 1m with you if you jump servers!

I don't fight at the Grindstone, but I want to give you money anyway because I'm a crazy person!

...okay! Get a hold of me via PM so we can arrange when to do the drop-off, all spy-like. If you want it to be OOC, that's fine! ICly might be a bit harder given the "we have no actual investors" fluff going on at the moment, but talk to me. We'll work something out.

We're also happy to continue to test The Whetsone.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THIS ENTAIL

Whomever winds up with possession of The Whetstone will have the ability to insert themselves in the final round of the Grindstone, no muss no fuss, even if they've already been eliminated for the night. There's more to it, but that's only pertinent to the holder.

HOW DO I OBTAIN THIS WONDERFUL PRIZE

The night of the auctions, I will be taking entirely blind bids for this item. I will not be updating the tracker or announcing the current top bid, and I will not be telling anyone who is winning until bids close. If you want this item, you must offer what you think it is worth. I do have a reserve in mind of what I think would be a fair price for it, so don't try to scoop it for 25 gil! Or do, I guess, but that probably won't work if last time is a precedent.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 07-30-2017

Show Content

100 weeks later...

76 people! Like, six hours! One winner, and that's Saiya Tayuun!

[Image: D1bNjdi.jpg]

We had an extremely colorful turnout tonight. Free paladins, dragoons, former dragoons, monks, Grand Company soldiers, mercenaries, someone who's probably a voidsent, some vath, a vanu vanu...

It's safe to say the Grindstone's grown a bit in the past two years. Two years? Man, time flies by. The Grindstone doesn't turn 4 for another couple of months but it's amazing to look back on the extremely wide spread of colorful characters who've turned up and turned out for our little Thanalan party. As the game has grown (consider that 100 weeks ago, Heavensward was still only in patch 3.05!) so has the roleplaying community. Au Ra were new and exciting and still sort of feeling out their role in the world (and Stormblood has certainly thrown some of those people for a loop with how the tribes are represented!). Red Mage and Samurai were hypothetical classes. We had no idea how awesome the Alexander music would end up being.

Over the years (I can't stress enough how weird it feels to say those words when talking about our roleplay pretendy times) we've seen a huge number of people, some alts, some genuinely new, turn up to hang out with us. We've had a ton of people volunteer to help run things on the back-end. I've received probably a thousand bits of advice on how to make the Grindstone "better" up to and including removing the /random rolls and relying on an honor system (lol). Through it all, though, we've had the support and appreciation dozens and dozens and dozens of roleplayers. There are the regular folks who turn up every week to fight for glory, there are the lurkers who show up to watch just out of curiosity or amusement or whatever! There's the cheering crew for some of the folks who show up, and there's definitely strong heel/face vibe for some of the regulars. Some people fight with honor and respect, some folks try to boot you in the balls after shanking you in the kidney. It's really amazing that such a wide array of people and characters, from differing roleplaying philosophies and power levels and concepts and beliefs, agree to spend time with us. While we've had some challenges and issues and problems arise over the years with differing opinions that can't be smoothed over, by and large everyone agrees to play by our completely arbitrary ruleset.

Last time I went on about how amazing our community is, and I stand by those things. Any legitimacy we have comes from the community granting us that, and the only reason we can do what we do is because you all allow us to. I don't know what the future holds for Final Fantasy, but I can assure that there will be a Grindstone as long as people want there to be one. The turnout tonight continued the abundant show of support and we're happy and honored to continue to provide a setting for people to roleplay.

I still want to buy you all pizza and beer. Fanfest 2018, anyone?

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Talman Chryses - 07-30-2017

What an achievement! 

Our IC coverage of the200th Grindstone is now available in the Crystal Chronicle, 28th edition, alongwith some information about the history of the Grindstone.

P.S. The CrystalChronicle is looking for a dedicated sports reporter. If you like tournament events like the Grindstone, Runestone and Spellguard and would be interested in writing about the highlights, interviewing champions and the like, we would love to hear from you! Just send me a PM.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 08-06-2017

Grindstone #201! Done, finished, complete!

53 fighters!

Congratulations to the first champion of the New Prize Money Era: Ramona Zale!

[Image: k9F4G2x.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Star Lin - 08-06-2017

Sorry about missing out on those last few fights.  Pretty much fell across my bed once I was off the computer.  Still feel like I didn't get a wink of sleep though.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 08-13-2017

Grindstone #202! We finished before 2AM for once, and in a night that involved 53 people that's a win in my book!

Congratulations to Reika Yuzuka on winning this week's contest!

[Image: HlwpfNK.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 08-20-2017

The 203rd Grindstone is in the books! The Authors of Pain finally were dethroned by Sanity, and we crowned a new champion in Drew Gall-

Wait, wrong Saturday night fight event!

Exactly 48 fighters turned up for a battle, and after three grueling hours of combat we are glad to name Keira Rioux as our new champion!

[Image: PmvPAPV.jpg]