Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 05-14-2017

Grindstone 189 is in the books! 67 fighters, 4 hours of fun, and one winner! W'chaza Yheli!

[Image: kpssyqW.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Leggerless - 05-14-2017

Idk Warren. That's just the ground you got in that picture.

Show Content

[Image: CnI3To6XEAA4a-g.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Nodem - 05-21-2017

Seventy One fighters entered, but only one swung for the fences and came out on top during Grindstone 190!

This weeks Grindstone Champion is Swyreyn Keltiyrn!
[Image: ffxiv_05212017_030950_zpsyyiq6wmb.png]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Talman Chryses - 05-21-2017

That's the acting head of security for the Crystal Chronicle! For once I had to interview one of our own people. More details here.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 05-28-2017

Grindstone #191 is in the books and it was a doozy! We had an astonishing 83 people line up for fun and games - which is actually just one person shy of matching our highest-fighter total set back in February! It also means we had more people playing our sub-game inside of an MMO than Battleborn had tonight at the same time.

When all was said and done, our newest champ is a repeat customer: Congratulations to Berrod Armstrong on his victory! Be sure to watch out for Talman's scoop in the Crystal Chronicle for more details!

[Image: pxR7hRl.jpg]

There's only eight Grindstones left until our big #200 part at the end of July!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 06-04-2017

Eighty-four people! Holy shit! Grindstone #192 is done!

One winner!

Beexu Spiritbreaker!
[Image: m3kJpiI.jpg]

GRINDSTONE 200 COMETH. WE'RE HARD AT WORK COMING UP WITH ALL KINDS OF RIDICULOUS SHIT TO MAKE FOR FUN TIMES. BRACE YOURSELF.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Talman Chryses - 06-04-2017

Our artist Kay'tethanir Dotharl drew a picture of Beexu for this week's Grindstone writeup. You might need to scroll down a bit. news.thecrystalchronicle.com

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 06-11-2017

GRINDSTONE 193: DONE

FIGHTERS: 72

WINNER: KEIICHI JEJEICHI

HE'S NOT A LALAFELL
[Image: 6rLvYtd.jpg]

Thanks to everyone who hung out, all of the folks who shared some tasty tunes, and all of the folks who regularly make this event possible.

YES, WE WILL BE HERE NEXT WEEK. EARLY ACCESS WILL NOT STOP THE GRINDSTONE. Come by and show off your new lv60+ skills!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Tyndles - 06-11-2017

I like the Grindstone, but it's popularity makes committing time to it anymore difficult because it takes a while! Have you considered altering the structure at all? Maybe I'm in the big minority, but changing it so instead of attack/defense its just highest roll per round so there is a guaranteed point and matches would take at most 5 rounds?

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Aaron - 06-11-2017

I actually RPed last night at this. I'm proud of myself. IM EVOLVING

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 06-11-2017

(06-11-2017, 06:26 AM)Tyndles Wrote: I like the Grindstone, but it's popularity makes committing time to it anymore difficult because it takes a while! Have you considered altering the structure at all? Maybe I'm in the big minority, but changing it so instead of attack/defense its just highest roll per round so there is a guaranteed point and matches would take at most 5 rounds?

The time investment is definitely a thing we're aware of! We went from usually finishing up around 1am to suddenly pushing after 2 and sometimes into 3.

Trying to change format at this point is kind of impossible, though. Despite this thread being the "source" there's such a sprawling pool of players that some don't even know the RPC exists, and while I know there are folks active on tumblr who post about us we don't have a page ourselves.

I agree with your pains, though (and I suspect a lot of people do!). I think we've all been hunting around for whatever means we can implement that would help snip off the lengthier stuff, but without an outright huge format adjustment we're kind of beholden to the numbers we get. I think the system we use is decent enough but it wasn't designed with this kind of scale in mind.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Parth Makeo - 06-11-2017

Or maybe make people try and condense their posts? One complaint i hear more than the 3-0 knockout for people is the length and time it takes to post. The spam is already going to be intense with so many people and while I also experienced this when I did fight before, lengthy posts are fine for smaller group of people like the original in a sense but now it's far too chaotic to keep up and try to see every fight.

I know people love typing paragraphs but those same people take the most time to execute an action that could of been condensed into something simpler or get rid of fluff.

"<x> turns around, swinging his blade with the utmost speed and power around the head at a ninety degree angle at <y> from his stance on the ground from her previous blow. His blade shining and gleaming in the sun of Thanalan to give him the strength to win-"

This already lost my interest for a big event. Smaller and more personal fights i understand...but maybe cut it down to something like

"<x> swings his sword horizontally at <y> in an attempt to disarm his opponent and ensure a victory."

Again this is all personal opinions and changing things now IS far too big. But the general feedback from my friends who use to attend and even watch the Grindstone say their opponents take way to long to post.
Someone can take 1 min to type, others might take 6-7 mins and that is where a lot of the time stretch comes from. Because they ALL want to be fantastical and show off... but as warren stated too

Quote:Despite this thread being the "source" there's such a sprawling pool of players that some don't even know the RPC exists, and while I know there are folks active on tumblr who post about us we don't have a page ourselves.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Aaron - 06-11-2017

(06-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: Or maybe make people try and condense their posts? One complaint i hear more than the 3-0 knockout for people is the length and time it takes to post. The spam is already going to be intense with so many people and while I also experienced this when I did fight before, lengthy posts are fine for smaller group of people like the original in a sense but now it's far too chaotic to keep up and try to see every fight.

I know people love typing paragraphs but those same people take the most time to execute an action that could of been condensed into something simpler or get rid of fluff.

"<x> turns around, swinging his blade with the utmost speed and power around the head at a ninety degree angle at <y> from his stance on the ground from her previous blow. His blade shining and gleaming in the sun of Thanalan to give him the strength to win-"

This already lost my interest for a big event. Smaller and more personal fights i understand...but maybe cut it down to something like

"<x> swings his sword horizontally at <y> in an attempt to disarm his opponent and ensure a victory."

Again this is all personal opinions and changing things now IS far too big. But the general feedback from my friends who use to attend and even watch the Grindstone say their opponents take way to long to post.
Someone can take 1 min to type, others might take 6-7 mins and that is where a lot of the time stretch comes from. Because they ALL want to be fantastical and show off... but as warren stated too

Quote:Despite this thread being the "source" there's such a sprawling pool of players that some don't even know the RPC exists, and while I know there are folks active on tumblr who post about us we don't have a page ourselves.
If people want that route of being so cut and dry the only people who would ever get any decent level of RP that didn't come off as rushed just to win or lose would be the bystanders

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Gegenji - 06-11-2017

I dunno. Knowledge of how long it takes you to write things might just be good thing to know for courtesy's sake? If you can hammer out a paragraph in a minute or two, then feel free to wax poetic all you want. If it takes you five minutes to write a couple lines... maybe be succinct.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Keiji Naru - 06-17-2017

(06-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: Or maybe make people try and condense their posts? One complaint i hear more than the 3-0 knockout for people is the length and time it takes to post. The spam is already going to be intense with so many people and while I also experienced this when I did fight before, lengthy posts are fine for smaller group of people like the original in a sense but now it's far too chaotic to keep up and try to see every fight.

Bear in mind, this is an RP event. Telling people they need to limit their posting times/intricacy would defeat the purpose of calling it an RP event, I would think. I would catch holy hell if I tried to tell anyone else how to RP, so why would the hosts of the event implement rules to tell other players to do the same?

Furthermore, not everyone has a keyboard with which to type out their posts, namely people who are playing on the PS4. Some people still don't even know they can hook one up to their PS4 at all! A few friends of mine didn't know until I let them know, and even I wasn't for sure. I wanted to still think you could only hook up a PlayStation brand keyboard (which turns out is not really the case). So, of course it takes those people a longer time to post, even smaller posts (nevermind longer ones). Hell, some people are just lousy typists. I try to have as much patience as possible because you never know the reason, unless you ask them.

Lastly, if you believe for any reason you can't stay for the entire event, then you reserve the right to not participate. I set aside enough time that I can stay for this entire event if I need to, even if it goes to 3am for me, and I'm on PST. If I don't think I can stay for the whole thing, then I just don't participate. I'm not always able to attend at all because of work because sometimes I gotta close, but I accept that. Bottom line is, the hosts of this event are doing the best (I think) they can, even going so far as to add another bracket to accommodate the larger turnouts. I'd also like to add this also isn't the only (although perhaps the biggest) event there is out there that uses the same style of RP fighting. There are plenty of smaller events that occur throughout the week at aren't as hectic on the chatbox as this one. If the Grindstone is too overwhelming, then I would encourage you to try one of those.