Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Kou - 02-25-2015

I miss attending Grindstones. Shame my managers want me closing on Saturdays now. xD

I'LL RETURN ONE DAY. I SWEAR IT.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 03-01-2015

Another week, anothe-

LOOK I KNOW I ALWAYS SAY THAT.

It was a "quiet" night at the Grindstone tonight as 14 of the best and brightest fighters in Eorzea took on one another for the rights to brag about winning the Grindstone! I wrote Grindstone twice in one sentence and should stop doing these posts before sleeping!

It was another mix of new and old faces, and after tonight I've documented nearly 60 unique fights since I started taking notes last month.

It was another nailbiter of a conclusion, too, as Celestus Shinozaki returned to the final round for the second week in a row to take on our resident lore nerd Sounsyy Mirke! Sadly for Sounsyy, the dice decided last week's loss was a fluke and Celestus was crowned our weekly champion after a very tense series of traded defenses with the score tired at 2.

The match ended with Celestus the winner, but Mirke's sword was buried deep in her side. Both fighters really went above and beyond to bring one another down. And so ends another chapter in Eorzea's longest-running weekly event!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Sounsyy - 03-01-2015

Sounsyy made it past the second round for the first time! Grindstone history was made tonight even if she didn't win.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Kishi - 03-01-2015

It was bloody final match between the two of you! I'm sure next week things will be in your favor Mirke!

Unfortunately this week I only got a few screen shots, well without further adieu! Here is a few screen shots this weeks Grindstone!

[Image: 4AVHorC.png]

The Line up!

[Image: InsdXOF.png]

Here are the voracious vixens, Mirke and Celestus, ready to clash head on!

[Image: W2cY342.png]

Alas Mirke did give her all to fight! But Celestus came out a head, to be this weeks Grindstone champ!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - BlackmoreKnight - 03-02-2015

I'll try to make it to the next one, damn. I've been losing myself in the Zodiac weapon grind and just want to get that done (Seven.. More.. Alexandrites..). So Celestus was lucky that Sigrid was preoccupied this time.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 03-04-2015

I'm thinking of scrubbing the Win/Loss bits to just show wins and perhaps number of appearances. Tracking losses doesn't really seem worthwhile when there can only ever be one person who doesn't lose any given week. Thoughts/ideas?

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - g0ne - 03-04-2015

Erm... may Eleni try out the Grindstone? 

*raises scared, shaky hand*

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 03-04-2015

(03-04-2015, 09:04 AM)Eleni Wrote: Erm... may Eleni try out the Grindstone? 

*raises scared, shaky hand*

Open to all! It IS genuine combat, though, even if there are some bare-bones rules in place. Come looking for a scrap and you won't be disappointed!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Seye Qhesu - 03-04-2015

(03-04-2015, 08:59 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm thinking of scrubbing the Win/Loss bits to just show wins and perhaps number of appearances. Tracking losses doesn't really seem worthwhile when there can only ever be one person who doesn't lose any given week. Thoughts/ideas?
If you are talking about the brackets if who went against who and moved  on I say keep it. I like seeing who went against who.

(03-04-2015, 09:15 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 08:59 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm thinking of scrubbing the Win/Loss bits to just show wins and perhaps number of appearances. Tracking losses doesn't really seem worthwhile when there can only ever be one person who doesn't lose any given week. Thoughts/ideas?
If you are talking about the brackets if who went against who and moved  on I say keep it. I like seeing who went against who.

Oh, yeah, that will be unchanged. I'm referring specifically to the "Standings" tab. Not a lot of reasons to track losses when everyone is going to lose!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Seye Qhesu - 03-04-2015

(03-04-2015, 09:17 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 09:15 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:

Oh, yeah, that will be unchanged. I'm referring specifically to the "Standings" tab. Not a lot of reasons to track losses when everyone is going to lose!
Yeah I think getting rid of that is fine.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Gegenji - 03-04-2015

Eh, I'm of a... neutral mind on it.

I mean, considering the varying size of the participant pool, just showing wins and number of appearances could lead to skewed-looking results. Say someone participated in Eorzea's Smallest Grindstone, where there was just four people participating. He wins both matches. He'd have one appearance and two wins (including a Grindstone victory!), but someone who won two (or more) rounds in a larger competition would have a similar (or better) showing. Unless you're only counting wins as "Won the Grindstone"... and then there's gonna be a lot of zeroes.

On the other hand, seeing the number of losses can be a bit disheartening as well. Especially if you're one of those who can't seem to make it past the first or second rounds. Two wins, four losses over four appearances? Wee, how fun. And, with the standings still intact, if you really want to see how many people someone climbed over, you can refer to that.

In the end, though, if I may be a bit cynical for a moment - the whole thing is basically a tracker of who had the favor of the RNG that day, isn't it? Your character could have twenty years of military experience IC, but if you can't roll over a 100 on your /randoms, you're still going to lose to the kid with the rabbit helmet on his head. Of course, that's more a limitation of the format, and still a good sight better than trying to freeform it - since almost everyone will want to win all their rounds.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - BlackmoreKnight - 03-04-2015

And if FF ever gets mechanical dueling we'll just see strength-accessory tanks win week after week and lose all the fun emotes that make the event worth doing. RNG's the only way to make it work and fair.

But that said I'm in favor of taking out the 'loss' record. Because yeah people are just going to get a massively bad ratio over time, everyone, because of the RNG. Tracking just fights shows either consistently good RNG or consistent attendance.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Jancis - 03-06-2015

Going to agree with that as well and say take out the loss.

- It's a lot less effort on the management's part to keep track of and that should be something that isn't overwhelming.
- The whole purpose of the event is to have strong people competing and it's not an actual black mark or worth rating for loss and giving some kind of value to that skews the whole point of fighting.

I also have a concern about keeping track of participants because that list can get very long with inactive people over time and might be more of a pain to maintain. If that's something people are honestly interested in, then there can be a roster post along with the winner here each week and people can go back and account for themselves that way.

Keeping it simple is always key; already do enough to maintain and fund the event.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 03-06-2015

Alright, for now:

-Losses are scrubbed out. Anyone with a win now has "X Wins" besides their name
-Anyone without a win is removed from the list to not make people sad
-Will continue to consider how to make use of tracking this sort of thing

Tracking participants is relatively easy at this point; Because I was listing them from the first night, my list only gets a few extra names added each night and Sort A-Z makes it pretty simple to include people without it being much work to reorganize. It's also handy to reference whether or not someone's new or not, and to give them an appropriate "Story booking" when someone makes it to the finals.

As always, open to further discussion. The Grindstone belongs to everyone who participates, I figure.