Hydaelyn Role-Players
Finished the Main Storyline - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Finished the Main Storyline (/showthread.php?tid=4849)

Finished the Main Storyline - DAISHI - 09-30-2013

Got to say, being a 1.0 vet, 2.0 was superior in just about every way. The quests were mostly exciting and interesting, with tons of cutscenes. A few were too fetchquesty, but I'll take fetch questing over leve grinding, which was about the only way to level for a while in 1.0.

The final two Castrums are amazingly dramatic with great boss fights and music. Team Venture, AKA the Guild of Calamitous Intent, AKA Wild Sky, can basically wipe the floor with any standard boss. Now I'm joining the fight at end game.

I came in with a lvl 50 character and it took about three weeks to plow through story mode and damn, I'm glad I did it. The ending was fantastic, there was a true sense of friendship not only as a plot element but also as a result of doing it with my crew, and I just loved how it all resolved.

Outside of a few musical tracks, the score for 2.0 is vastly superior to 1.0's overly synthesized faux rock. Uldah's score was superior to 2.0 Uldah's day score, but 2.0 Uldah's night score is superior to almost everything in 1.0. Combat is a lot more fun in having to dodge boss moves, learning where to stand, saving your comrades from death. I've heard people complain it's not intricate enough compared to 1.0, but I think those are the complaints of a DPS. Tanking these situations, you've got to switch off a lot to go save comrades from adds, and by the final missions you've got two tanks, one pulling adds, the other hauling a massive boss into the corner in the hope of saving your friend's lives. 

Great stuff. Great stuff. So now, for me, I'll be retiring to the quiet life of a Miner by day, and rocking Warrior by night as we run for tomestones to get our next tier of armor!

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - Cato - 10-01-2013

I didn't get the chance to get my hands on 1.0, though I enjoyed 2.0 for the most part where the main storyline is concerned. The pacing is a bit awkward at certain points - especially during the Costa del Sol portion of events - but overall I found it to be pretty intriguing and gripping.

I particularly loved how:

Show Content

As for the other aspects of the game, I absolutely adore the soundtrack and environment/character design. The dungeons are pretty fun, too - especially when the difficulty rises and certain boss fights begin to require near flawless play from all involved. Garuda is a prime example of this, though the last boss of Qarn comes to mind as well. I do think some of the fights were a bit too simple, though - but since they were part of story dungeons I think it's reasonably fair to have a mix of simple and difficult battles.

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - DAISHI - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 11:36 AM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: I didn't get the chance to get my hands on 1.0, though I enjoyed 2.0 for the most part where the main storyline is concerned. The pacing is a bit awkward at certain points - especially during the Costa del Sol portion of events - but overall I found it to be pretty intriguing and gripping.

I particularly loved how:

Show Content

As for the other aspects of the game, I absolutely adore the soundtrack and environment/character design. The dungeons are pretty fun, too - especially when the difficulty rises and certain boss fights begin to require near flawless play from all involved. Garuda is a prime example of this, though the last boss of Qarn comes to mind as well. I do think some of the fights were a bit too simple, though - but since they were part of story dungeons I think it's reasonably fair to have a mix of simple and difficult battles.
Yeah I felt bad for some of the Garleans. And less sympathetic to the Eorzea cities. One of my big complaints about the city states is that they're fairly genocidal to any indigenous, tribal groups in the area.

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - LiadansWhisper - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 05:24 PM)DAISHI Wrote: Yeah I felt bad for some of the Garleans. And less sympathetic to the Eorzea cities. One of my big complaints about the city states is that they're fairly genocidal to any indigenous, tribal groups in the area.

They haven't always been.  There's a part of the Botanist quest where it's mentioned, almost in passing, that there was a time when the Ixal, for instance, lived in peace and harmony with the Gridanians.  It isn't explained what happened to change that.

Show Content

It isn't clear whether there was ever a peace between LL and the Spasa, or between Ul'dah and the Amalj'aa.

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - Ildur - 10-01-2013

You shouldn't feel too bad about the Garleans. They have a policy about exterminating the beast tribes, after all, so they are just as murderous as any of the city states. Though perhaps more so: some Eorzeans have partnerships with some of the beast tribes (Limsa has mamol'ja, goblins and qiqirns inside the city, for example). Ul'dah is the only city state that has forbidden dealing with the beast men at all. The Garleans don't deal with the beast tribes. They just kill them. At least officially.

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - Cato - 10-01-2013

I don't know, judging by the behaviour of the beast tribes I think that they deserve to be wiped out. It's not as if they're of much benefit to Eorzea. How many innocent people have been kidnapped, killed and tempered by the various Primal summoning beast tribes? Plus there's the matter of each Primal being brought into the world more than once...with each victory against them bought with yet more blood.

RE: Finished the Main Storyline - LiadansWhisper - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 08:31 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: I don't know, judging by the behaviour of the beast tribes I think that they deserve to be wiped out. It's not as if they're of much benefit to Eorzea. How many innocent people have been kidnapped, killed and tempered by the various Primal summoning beast tribes? Plus there's the matter of each Primal being brought into the world more than once...with each victory against them bought with yet more blood.

You have to consider why the Beast Tribes cry out to their Primals.