Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fists of Rhalgr - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fists of Rhalgr (/showthread.php?tid=4676)

Fists of Rhalgr - AkhutaiAngura - 09-21-2013

So, I play a Monk ICly. I know it's possible to be a Monk ICly - Not just a Pugilist.

What I'm wondering on, is.. Is it feasible to be a part of the Fists of Rhalgr, the organization of Warrior Monks from Ala Migo? 

Is it feasible to be a Fist, if you're a Miqo'te, who grew up in Thanalan?

Come on, lore-nuts. Spread your wealth! I looked some, and couldn't find any extensive info on how strict/particular the Fists are, especially now with the fall of their home.

RE: Fists of Rhalgr - Gharen - 09-21-2013

Quote:1552~1556
- Theodorac proclaims himself the divine ruler of Ala Mhigo, stating that his right to the throne was the divine rule of Nymeia herself. It was at this time that he also banned the worship or likeness of any other god and executed any who defied his uncontested rule.
- The monks of The Fist of Rhalgr begin to rebel against Theodorac, but Theodorac used the uprising of the monks as a reason to imprison them, torture them, and finally kill them. Around this time, or shortly after, Theodorac led a vast army to the main temple site of the Fist of Rhalgr. The army surrounded the temple and massacred all those within. It was on this day that the monkhood was nearly completely lost, save for a few survivors who might have escaped.
- Theodorac earns the title: The King of Ruin and labels any followers of The Fist of Rhalgr as heretics, starting a crusade to hunt them down.
- Theodorac succeeds in eliminating most followers of The Fist of Rhalgr and continues to rule unchallenged. The people of Ala Mhigo eventually got fed up with the daily public beheadings and the tyrannical rule of the king and revolted, storming the palace grounds.

(Disclaimer: If my spelling and grammar sucks it is because I'm running on 4 hours of sleep at the end of a 12 hour workday.)

There's a thread regarding something similar pertaining to Dragoons, 1556 occurs 21 years before the start of AAR. My answer for both monks and Dragoons is the same, it is highly unlikely that every monk was killed, some would have spread out, gone into hiding, or started new lives. And very likely, in an effort to keep the teachings alive took on students, causing the art or variations of it to spread even further.

For a real world example of this in action, (minus the executions and such) take a look at Brazilian jiu jitsu which was introduced in 1914 as the japanese migrated to Brazil they brought with them their knowledge of Judo. Which, has since over the last century evolved into it's own style of jiu jitsu.

So yes you could potentially train to be a monk under their established tenets, hell, you could even RP that the style you learned is one that's evolved slightly over the years.. but officially joining the order? Probably not.

RE: Fists of Rhalgr - AkhutaiAngura - 09-21-2013

Would that be the same, if you were to say the character is from Ala Mhigo?

How unlikely/implausible is it for a Miqo'te to be from there? Seems like they've pretty well infested the rest of Eorzea..

RE: Fists of Rhalgr - Gharen - 09-22-2013

I don't see why not. Everything that I've read regarding Ala Mhigo is just that the majority of the population was Highlander I imagine a few Miqo'te would have been there and there certainly isn't anything that says there were none. Now if you're looking to be lore friendly the city was occupied in 1557, at the start of AAR it is currently 1577, a full 20 years ago. 

Depending on your character story your miqo'te could be 25-35 give or take If they were a youngling in training or older if they were a full blown monk at the time of the occupation.

Hope this helps.