Hydaelyn Role-Players
What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? (/showthread.php?tid=4622)

What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - ryanxwonbin - 09-19-2013

I haven't played 1.0, so I read up on some stuff and watch some videos. Now, as I understand it, Bahamaut was not stopped and he rampaged over Eozera. Are we to assume that all cities/villages were annihilated in Eozera and the few survivors began rebuilding prior to the game's storyline? Did Bahamaut only destroy Eozera and leave other parts like the Galean Empire untouched? Does everyone have knowledge about the war against Galea, how the destruction with Bahamaut came to be?

As a player, I don't feel like playing the role of the the heroes that got transported through time, mainly because I was never there to experience the first game. Would it be alright then to play a character who went through Bahamaut's rage and the rebuilding of Eozera instead of timeskip?

Thanks in advance for answers.

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - John Spiegel - 09-19-2013

It is completely awesome to NOT have been one of the time jumpers!

One of my characters was not at the battle, so he lived through the devastation and had a subsequent breakdown. The senseless death and destruction, coupled with forgetting his father's and sister's names and faces proved to be a bit much. Journals I wrote for the time outline his "fall from grace" and subsequent rock bottom. As of five years from the destruction, his life has returned to "normal". That is until he got a letter out of the blue from his father.

I am not sure the extent of Bahamut's direct destruction to other parts of the world (he severely messed up the aether, so that's something that can manifest anywhere or something).

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - Uther - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 03:12 AM)ryanxwonbin Wrote: I haven't played 1.0, so I read up on some stuff and watch some videos. Now, as I understand it, Bahamaut was not stopped and he rampaged over Eozera. Are we to assume that all cities/villages were annihilated in Eozera and the few survivors began rebuilding prior to the game's storyline? Did Bahamaut only destroy Eozera and leave other parts like the Galean Empire untouched? Does everyone have knowledge about the war against Galea, how the destruction with Bahamaut came to be?

As a player, I don't feel like playing the role of the the heroes that got transported through time, mainly because I was never there to experience the first game. Would it be alright then to play a character who went through Bahamaut's rage and the rebuilding of Eozera instead of timeskip?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Bahamut destroyed most of Limsa, Gridania, and the outer parts of Ul'dah. Along with some senseless destruction scattered throughout the continent. His attack also somehow put Coerthas in eternal winter, or at least it has been since the attack, but I don't really know exactly how the two are connected. Not sure about the Garlean Empire, but I would imagine minimal destruction because the epicenter was Mor Dhona which is kind of in the center of Eorzea. A lot of people choose to RP it different ways, myself and a great deal of the people I personally RP with tend to see it in a very realistic way. This is essentially a recovering world. Borderline post-apocalyptic. Cities were destroyed, homes were lost, businesses and agriculture decimated, thousands died. Everyone is kind of struggling to survive and rebuild still. 

Everyone knows about the war with the Empire, and everyone saw them pull the moon from the sky. The details might be a little foggy and subject to rumor, but when a giant dragon fire-bombs your house immediately after the moon comes down from the sky during a battle with the Empire, you can kind of put the pieces together yourself.

As for RPing someone who didn't take the time skip. I think this is the route the majority is taking, as it adds potential for a bit of extra back story for the past five years. I played 1.0 very little and didn't take part in RP, so I made a character up for ARR who didn't take the time skip. There's plenty of pros and cons for taking or passing on the time skip. It's really up to you. One thing to note though is that legacy players received in-game upper back tattoos, denoting that they're time skippers. I don't think anyone will care if you RP the time skip without one, but it's something to think about.

In the end, it's totally up to you whether you want to time skip or not.

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - Rinh Hallani - 09-19-2013

I only played 1.0 for a couple days so all my characters are being RPed as having not skipped through time. Rinh lost more than half of her clan in the Calamity and eventually moved to Limsa, whilst T'yareth's tribe was all but decimated so she fled to Ul'dah. It's fun trying to forge new connections, rebuild what was destroyed and RP the emotional consequences of such a horrible loss.

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - Xydane - 09-19-2013

It's the same thing for Xydane. Though I am still working on his backstory, I am slowly piecing together what I can develop for him as I play the game. With that being said, I have never played 1.0 so it allows me more room to fill in the gaps for the story while it'll be interesting enough to meet someone who jumped forward through time. To imagined what those characters have missed during the five years of their absence. Where are their family and friends? What is their status? What has happened?

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - Darkfae - 09-20-2013

While I did play 1.0, I had to stop playing after they started charging a subscription once more, so none of my characters are time skippers. I wrote a story about the night of the Calamity, from the perspective of my original main character, Claire Brea; I have part of the next step in the story written, but it's taking a bit longer to sort out the things I want to actually have happen in that part, and how to handle gaps in time between certain things, so the post-Calamity bit isn't available yet.

I based everything on the damage seen in the End of an Era cut scene. Hopefully it helps give at least some perspective.

RE: What exactly happened after Bahamaut? What role am I suppose to play? - shdwsng - 09-20-2013

For the OFFICIAL "what the heck happened" post, here's the thread that lays it out.

FFXIV 1.0, the Official Lore Post.

It's from the localization director and lore guru, and it makes me sad that 1.0 was such a steaming pile on the back end. This was a very epic Final Fantasy story... But I can't wait to see where they're going with it for the endgame stuff!

And I think most people aren't playing time-jumpers. Partly because it gives them that five years to work with in character development, partly because EVERYONE playing the game can't be a Warrior of Light!