Hydaelyn Role-Players
FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) (/showthread.php?tid=4495)

FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Kyzal - 09-12-2013

Hello there, I am extremely interested in joining the RP community of FFXIV, but first I have to get the game, lol.

To introduce myself, I have been roleplaying in MMOs since EQ1, and though I've taken a break due to my jadedness at the MMO genre, FFXIV looks amazing and I think it is finally a game I could return to and truly immerse myself in.

Couple of things, and maybe you guys can help me figure it out.

My PC sucks now. It hasn't been upgraded since Age of Conan, so I seriously doubt I could run this on my PC at any decent level.

However, I do have a Playstation 3. Is it viable that I would be able to play and roleplay on my PS3? Anyone here playing on their PS3?

I've never played an MMO on my PS3 before, so maybe you guys could help me with something. If I plug my keyboard into my PS3, would that suffice as my means of communications with other players or am I restricted only to headset or something, which in that case, roleplay is out lol.

Also, can anyone vouch for how well it runs on PS3? I am using one of the old fat PS3's, the ones that are backwards compatible with PS2 games. Is the performance THAT bad? I can deal with some lag here and there, but if it's beyond belief, then I wouldn't wanna waste my time getting excited any further.

Long story short, I am a roleplayer who wants to RP on FFXIV. I am restricted to playing on my PS3. Is that a problem?

And by the way, hearing about all the login issues, has that mostly been fixed now? And is there still room to join the RP servers? If so, which one should I join?

I apologize for the mess of a message here, lol. Been out of the scene for a while. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Lament - 09-12-2013

$0.02

I am not playing on a PS3, so this is only what I've heard from other PS3 users (mostly in dungeons):

You definitely want to plug your keyboard to your PS3. It does suffice for communication, but (I am told) it's a bit of a hassle to juggle typing and playing.

I've also run into a PS3 player who didn't know a PC version existed and was set on finding a physical copy to switch to PC. He was that frustrated with it.

Most PS3 users I run into are very quiet, which probably is because it's hard to play and type at the same time, so you may have trouble RPing if you like to emote and move as you do, I suppose?

Someone with a PS3 can give a more informed opinion, though.

Yes, the login issues are mostly gone. I land a queue on Balmung now and then. Balmung and Gilgamesh are open on and off throughout the day, so it's possible to roll either. As for which, that's your choice to make, but it does seem like you could find more people on Balmung.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Olofantur - 09-12-2013

Greetings!

I can't really speak for PS3 playability, while i've observed some players they weren't interested in typing and spoke insularly over a shared Ventrillo.

For testing your computer you can get the official benchmark at
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

Let me know if you need any more info, looks like you've already got some responses.

Hope to see you on Balmung.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Kyzal - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 03:25 PM)Lament Wrote: $0.02

I am not playing on a PS3, so this is only what I've heard from other PS3 users (mostly in dungeons):

You definitely want to plug your keyboard to your PS3. It does suffice for communication, but (I am told) it's a bit of a hassle to juggle typing and playing.

I've also run into a PS3 player who didn't know a PC version existed and was set on finding a physical copy to switch to PC. He was that frustrated with it.

Most PS3 users I run into are very quiet, which probably is because it's hard to play and type at the same time, so you may have trouble RPing if you like to emote and move as you do, I suppose?

Someone with a PS3 can give a more informed opinion, though.

Yes, the login issues are mostly gone. I land a queue on Balmung now and then. Balmung and Gilgamesh are open on and off throughout the day, so it's possible to roll either. As for which, that's your choice to make, but it does seem like you could find more people on Balmung.

Thank you for your response. Hm, that frusturated eh? Disappointing to here. I know my PC is in no shape for it. But I wonder if I could stick it out for now until PS4 version comes out. I am certain that will be less of an issue there.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Zhauric - 09-12-2013

My wife is playing on the PS3 and just plugged a random keyboard we had in. It worked perfectly fine for her typing purposes so you should be okay from our experiences. Still it is a bit annoying to do so and is probably the most silence I have ever got out of my wife *is glad she can't see this*

The game also seems to run fine on PS3 but I say the graphics on the PC are much better. Then again I bought a graphics card to run it on max settings. Just sharper images in my opinion. Word of warning to anyone out there....don't rub this in with your significant other if they are something not as strong. You'll pay for it in the end *smiles*

As for which server that is all up to you. Both are good, friendly and strong communities. Balamung has legacy and non-legacy folks abound. It is an established community obviously due to this but more than welcoming to any and all. You'll run into more than enough new folks as well.

Gilgamesh is the alternate server for new players so a young and growing community. From what I have seen thus far it is also welcoming and engaging with folks looking to lay the building blocks to a strong group of roleplayers.

The availability of both I am not overly certain. From posts I have seen they tend to open at intervals so the chance to leap on one should be there more than previously.

(09-12-2013, 03:33 PM)Zhauric Wrote: My wife is playing on the PS3 and just plugged a random keyboard we had in. It worked perfectly fine for her typing purposes so you should be okay from our experiences. Still it is a bit annoying to do so and is probably the most silence I have ever got out of my wife *is glad she can't see this*

The game also seems to run fine on PS3 but I say the graphics on the PC are much better. Then again I bought a graphics card to run it on max settings. Just sharper images in my opinion. Word of warning to anyone out there....don't rub this in with your significant other if they are something not as strong. You'll pay for it in the end *smiles*

As for which server that is all up to you. Both are good, friendly and strong communities. Balamung has legacy and non-legacy folks abound. It is an established community obviously due to this but more than welcoming to any and all. You'll run into more than enough new folks as well.

Gilgamesh is the alternate server for new players so a young and growing community. From what I have seen thus far it is also welcoming and engaging with folks looking to lay the building blocks to a strong group of roleplayers.

The availability of both I am not overly certain. From posts I have seen they tend to open at intervals so the chance to leap on one should be there more than previously.

What kind of PS3 is your wife running? A slim or the older models?

I too don't think I'd have much trouble multi tasking the controller and typing, that isn't so much of a concern. Besides, don't we all just sit around inns and drink anyway? Kidding Wink

But yeah, thanks for your response friend.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Zhauric - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 03:36 PM)Kyzal Wrote: What kind of PS3 is your wife running? A slim or the older models?

I too don't think I'd have much trouble multi tasking the controller and typing, that isn't so much of a concern. Besides, don't we all just sit around inns and drink anyway? Kidding Wink

Looks like we have a slim. I didn't even know there were different models til you said something. Shows how much I know on what I spend hundreds of dollars on...

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Jove - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 03:36 PM)Kyzal Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 03:33 PM)Zhauric Wrote: My wife is playing on the PS3 and just plugged a random keyboard we had in. It worked perfectly fine for her typing purposes so you should be okay from our experiences. Still it is a bit annoying to do so and is probably the most silence I have ever got out of my wife *is glad she can't see this*

What kind of PS3 is your wife running? A slim or the older models?

I play the PC version but I've been toying around with the controller and to be honest I think I might prefer it. You just really need to set it up and tweak it (but these options are available on the PS3 too) because things such as targeting, attacking etc are a pain on the controller with default settings, but if you spend an hour or so setting up your HUD, controller settings, it's a real pleasure.

Pretty much most USB mouse and keyboards will work on the PS3 and the PS3 version of FFXIV, you can even control it like you would on PC, however these seems to be a small problem were you currently can't use the PC action bars, but only the controller action bar.
Worth noting with a controller is that 'direct chat' is viable, basically instead of having to press enter to type, you can just start typing away on your keyboard and it will go straight to chat. There's also the option with a controller to make the chat screen fullscreen, which is really nice if you're just standing there chatting.

Other perks with a controller is analogue sticks, meaning your character runs and walks in a more realistic way (also pressing autorun on the controller automatically keeps your character walking at whatever pace you were moving them, so no need to toggle Run/Walk)

Although I haven't tried it because I lost mine, you can get addon keyboards for controllers, basically mini keyboards that sit between the two grips, which are quite usable with a bit of practice.

As for PS3 players not talking? Most console users now are used to voice chat by default, very few games support text chat so I imagine it's a bit of a strange concept to some players and yeah, without some kind of keyboard I doubt anyone would attempt it.

There's also a neat option were you can set up which action bars display during combat and which ones display out of combat. So you could have all eight action bars filled up with macros, emotes, commands etc during the RP, but only have two show up with your spells and attacks which only appear when you're killing monsters.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - shdwsng - 09-12-2013

As far as I know, being a semi-professional geek, there's no difference in the CPU or GPU in terms of raw power between the backwards compatible ones and the PS3 slim. The only hassle I'd see would be the communications issue and possibly a bit of lag depending on whether you're wired or wireless.

For My $.02, I'd say get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You can pair both with the PS3 and they work swimmingly. That way, you can choose controller or mouse/keyboard depending on whichever works better for you.

The advantage of a gaming console is purely that the developers have a set hardware environment to work with, and they don't have to keep adapting their programs to all the different stuff on PCs. So you can tune a program to run tighter on the PS3 or Xbox 360 than you can on a PC. The DOWNSIDE of the consoles is you have a set hardware environment to work with while PCs are much, much easier to upgrade. So when you have a seven year old console, it may have blown computers away five years ago... But now you're having to build a "dumbed down" version for the console that doesn't have all the shiny of the PC version.

RE: FFXIV Questions (Need Help!) - Covikt - 09-12-2013

PS3 Player here,

The game seems to run fine for the most part, you won't get alot of character models like you would on the computer, but that's mainly to deal with the PS3 so it doesn't overload and such

I will highly recommend getting a hardwired connection if you do plan on playing it on the PS3 as the wireless on the thing is absolutely garbage.

Well I just got the game and I'm pretty stoked.