Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. (/showthread.php?tid=4310)

Pages: 1 2

Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Belvisa - 09-05-2013

I consider myself to be a decent level of gamer, enough that when i see a red marking below me, i move. However 1/3 times an enemy lays one of these power moves at my feet, despite being clear of the attack i still take damage from it.

I thought at first this might be server lag, connecting to Balmung (NA) from the EU, so i kind of stopped worrying about it, however when i went to go and play on Cerberus (EU) for a few hours earlier i found the same thing happening there.

Is there some sort of bug with these abilities at the moment? or is it just something i'm failing to understand?

B

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Bloodtruffle - 09-05-2013

I noticed this too. It's since improved a little since the updates yesterday, but still. You have to move IMMEDIATELY. Even if your character gets out of the way of the red marking while it's still on the ground and while the mob still 'appears' to be casting, I still wind up receiving damage 25-50% of the time. 

I'm playing Balmung and am in NA--so lag shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm in your same boat.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Magellan - 09-05-2013

There is a yellow bar that fills up as the mob is 'casting'. If the yellow bar fills up while you are still standing in the ground marker, regardless of the mobs animation, you will get hit.

Some mobs cast faster than others. Also, I am sure some of the timings might be off and need tweaking.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Belvisa - 09-05-2013

Perhaps its just server strain with so many people playing at the moment. i'll give it a few weeks and see if its fixed or whatever, time will tell Smile

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Rhylund - 09-05-2013

You need to be clear of the red marker by the time it disappears. I think a lot of people believe that so long as they aren't in the area when they 'see' the spell being cast they're safe, but that's not the case. If you're standing in red the moment the marker disappears, you're going to take the hit.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Cato - 09-05-2013

It's best to play it safe and ensure you're not at the edge of the ground marker when a nasty ability is being cast.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Belvisa - 09-05-2013

This is neither of those things, i'm taking about getting well clear, and well before the ability/spell is completed

I have found however that moving behind the casting NPC tends to work better than moving away any other way, but i don't know if thats just an optemistic guess Big Grin

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Qhon'ra Chalahko - 09-05-2013

I've noticed some of the timings are off, on cast bars versus the red markers. Some of the mobs, you have to be on the move the second they start casting. Others, as long as you're out of the red before the cast bar is gone, you're okay. I think there are some cast times they'll need to adjust eventually.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Miseria - 09-05-2013

(09-05-2013, 04:37 PM)Belvisa Wrote: This is neither of those things, i'm taking about getting well clear, and well before the ability/spell is completed

I have found however that moving behind the casting NPC tends to work better than moving away any other way, but i don't know if thats just an optemistic guess Big Grin

I've definitely noticed this as well Smile I often get totally clear before the cast bar finishes and still take damage. The only way I've found to avoid it is to start moving the second I see it.....but that sucks when trying to finish my own cast (even when I should have enough time to do so and move)

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Lost River - 09-05-2013

That casting bar has been the bane of many people's existence. I've been hit a few times, no issues... now when it comes to the Bombs. If you don't run, most likely they'll insta-kill you on detonation. THAT, especially in a dungeon is annoying and frightening.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - allgivenover - 09-05-2013

It's latency again. The EU servers are actually hosted in Montreal, Canada with the US servers. I know, it's silly.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Adolar - 09-05-2013

Aren't both the EU and NA servers hosted in Canada? That might partially explain why you're experiencing the same amount of lag on both regions.

EDIT: ^^^^ Already explained it.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - Shae'ra - 09-05-2013

Most times, if I move clear away from it, I can manage to miss it. I have learned moving just barely out of range usually ends up with me taking the hit anyway. However, one I have never been able to dodge is the sneeze... as silly as it sounds, it's a frontal aoe however, even if I run through the monster and am behind him -- I still get hit.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - lady2beetle - 09-05-2013

The ones that kill me (figuratively) are the cobyns and goblins in thanalan (the early levels). I swear those goblins cast faster than any mortal hero could move, and the cobyn aoe covers a bit too much area. But yeah. I'm noticing the exact same thing.

RE: Ground Markers, and Avoiding them. - KitKat - 09-05-2013

The one that frustrated me to no end was Titan's straight-line aoe thing. I'd seriously be halfway across the platform and still wind up getting caught, and killed, by it.