Hydaelyn Role-Players
The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? (/showthread.php?tid=430)

Pages: 1 2 3

The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Satisiun - 08-21-2010

I did a quick search of the Lounge posts, and beyond one mention of it in the NDA thread, it seems this hasn't gotten much talk. Surprising considering this is the de facto primary RP community for the game so far.

Still, if this topic has already gotten its own thread, or has become a main topic in another thread, by all means lock, load, and blast this out of one of the canons flanking Limsa Lominsa's towers. Tongue

We're going to be exactly a month out from Collector's Edition release as of tomorrow, and I've not really seen anything anywhere, much less the beta test site, about Square-Enix giving thought to implementing the ability to emote outside of having to file through the emote menu.

One of the biggest things that a roleplayer needs, especially when they are trying to actually express themselves with a tangible character, is emotes. You know that. I know that. Your Moogle knows that. I bet that Goobbue you're hiding underneath the table knows that, too. While writing our actions and thoughts by just slapping on some asterisks or brackets or what not is very important and usually the primary method to expressing one's self, they still don't replace the actual, physical, visual expression a character makes with emotes.

But here is the rub with the current setup: there is no way to type your emote out. The ability to type in an emote is, in my opinion, of the utmost level of importance. You can't be stuck having to diddle around in the emote menu, scrolling madly to find what you need. As it stands, the menu is too long for you to just scan the list without having to scroll. Additionally, the menu is not in alphabetical order, either (it is to a degree, but weirdly not at the same time, depending where you scroll in the list).

Also consider that as of this moment, the emote menu closes automatically once you have chosen an emote from the list. So at the moment, it is something you keep needing to open, then open again, if you are in a situation where your roleplay might ask for more emotes coupled with your written actions.

Now, I'm not exactly expecting a return to FFXI in regards to the freedom we had. When you think about it, despite FFXI having perhaps one of the weakest RP communities compared to other MMOs out there (I am so not trying to offend anyone who did RP there, however it was quite a small group compared to others), we had things such as the ability to write custom emotes by just typing "/em" followed by what we wanted to do. Or how we could make it so our pre-existing emotes in the game could be turned in to just the action, sans text notice, by adding "motion" after writing something (i.e. "/laugh motion", "/cheer motion", etc.).

Would those coming back be awesome? You bet your keester they would. But at this point, I just want some sort of confirmation that we will not be forced to browse through a cumbersome and not efficiently laid out emote list for what we want to do, and actually be able to write out those actions.

So I ask you. Do you think this is an important issue? Yes? No? If so, how would you handle having to fumble through an emote list with the way the UI is currently clunking about? If not, is there any particular reason? Just not too big on in-game emotes, or are you fine scrolling through a menu to find what you want to do?

As for me, I got some dairy creamer to go out and buy for my tea. I'm going crazy without my English Breakfast, so maybe I'll have some responses when I return. Tongue

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Vareal - 08-21-2010

I always thought that in MMORPG 101, the second rule was "...emotes that are easily accessible to the player via chat window commands."

They better incorporate text commands for emotes ;0

but if they don't, oh well. Tongue

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Asyria - 08-21-2010

There's no emotes in Neverwinter Nights and yet the RP in some NWN persistent world is often better than anything I've seen in any mmo, except in the rarest and most precious cases.

In NWN some people choose to simply type out emote and use quotes for speech. Others used asterisks to define emotes and simply typed out speech. I feel this 2nd option is best for mmo's.

So..

Emotes 101: As simple chat is defined as "talk", simply uses asterisks to define emote.

Mike Haracter: *The blue haired Miqo'te sharpens her spear, unaware of the presence behind her.*
Someone Else: *Stealthily approaches and tickles Mike from behind!* O hai!

See? No need for /emotes.
It's very convenient, yes, but unnecessary.

What IS necessary however, is giving us more friggin space to type! Can barely fill a single sentence in there! >.<

P.S. There really is a Mike Haracter on Jecht. He's a big Roegadyn too, so he stands out. I lol'ed.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Satisiun - 08-21-2010

Asyria Wrote:There's no emotes in Neverwinter Nights and yet the RP in some NWN persistent world is often better than anything I've seen in any mmo, except in the rarest and most precious cases.

In NWN some people choose to simply type out emote and use quotes for speech. Others used asterisks to define emotes and simply typed out speech. I feel this 2nd option is best for mmo's.

So..

Emotes 101: As simple chat is defined as "talk", simply uses asterisks to define emote.

Mike Haracter: *The blue haired Miqo'te sharpens her spear, unaware of the presence behind her.*
Someone Else: *Stealthily approaches and tickles Mike from behind!* O hai!

See? No need for /emotes.
It's very convenient, yes, but unnecessary.

What IS necessary however, is giving us more friggin space to type! Can barely fill a single sentence in there! >.<

P.S. There really is a Mike Haracter on Jecht. He's a big Roegadyn too, so he stands out. I lol'ed.

Ah, thank you for reminding me, actually. The issue of chat space is a real killer. Also consider that the character limit does not give you any leeway or additional characters if you are typing in a /tell message.

Of course what I am about to use as an example is probably going to be a very rare occurrence, but what if someone you are sending a /tell message to exhausts the full, 30-characters you are allowed for a character name (15 first, 15 last)?

Yeah. That isn't going to be a fun /tell conversation, is it? :/

In any event, back on what you touched on concerning emotes being nice, but not necessary. I respect your view, yes. And definitely, there are people out there who weave words so well, they don't even need emotes, and they exist in many games. Including NWN, which you used as an example because it lacks emotes.

But having said that, emotes do exist in FFXIV, and as such, you would hope they make them more streamlined, and more easily used. What use is something that is more of a hindrance than a benefit, you know? Mr. Haracter (it is an awesome name ... Laugh ) would benefit from using "/surprised" to augment his reaction to being tickled, instead of just turning his stern-looking character around and responding with just written actions.

We have characters that are so graphically appealing and well-represented, it seems a real waste to just have them stand there (... I miss you, "/sit" ... Cry ), not emoting at all if they can. Again, the visual aethstetic adds a lot. If you are not mixing visual with word in an MMO when you have that option available to you, you're basically IMRPing, except you're using character models instead of swapping pictures of stock model photos or fantasy characters.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Aveline - 08-21-2010

I don't think we have much to worry about. Before beta there weren't any text commands at all. If there aren't any at open beta, I would start getting a little concerned, but right now there are still many commands missing that we know they are going to implement (like friends list, and being able to give people "nicknames" so you don't have to type out their whole name, etc.)

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Trizzip - 08-21-2010

Yar, I have faith that by the time the game releases, there will be a reasonable way to utilize emotes via text commands. Doesn't really seem like it would be difficult to do, so an absence of it 'would' be a bit disheartning. I still have high hopes though.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Satisiun - 08-21-2010

Aveline Wrote:I don't think we have much to worry about. Before beta there weren't any text commands at all. If there aren't any at open beta, I would start getting a little concerned, but right now there are still many commands missing that we know they are going to implement (like friends list, and being able to give people "nicknames" so you don't have to type out their whole name, etc.)

Mhm. That is one way to look at it. Basically you're either in two trains of camp when it comes to whether they will or won't, it seems:

1) "Oh, pshaw! It's such a little thing! I'm sure they'll toss it in before release since it seems easy enough. They only just added other commands in recently, after all. How hard can it be?"

Or!

2) "But why isn't it in yet? It's so easy! It shouldn't take them this long to implement such a simple thing! Especially when they could have done it when they added all those text commands in Beta 3!"

I'm being hyperbolic/exaggerating for both sides, though. Just for fun's sake. Laugh

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Kashemia - 08-22-2010

I know a lot of roleplayers think that the lack of an implemented custom emote system are a big deal, but I never really understood it. It usually works almost as good to just type *does xx*, or as Asyria descriped, write the emote in general and then add the speach in "". Sure, it's easier to see if the emotes are a different color, but that's about it, it's not a bigger deal than that. It's not like it's impossible to rp without the custom emotes Wink

WAR was horrible for roleplay (you couldn't even sit or walk), and I still had some of the most fun in rp there.

So I'm sure creative people like roleplayers can find away around it Big Grin

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Len - 08-22-2010

Where there is a will there is a way ...
1. develop really fast click search skills to compensate
2. prayer , it always helps
3. if you me it not a big deal since my character does not show much emotion

Anyways I would have to agree emote in the chat system as a command is way better

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Satisiun - 08-22-2010

Kashemia Wrote:I know a lot of roleplayers think that the lack of an implemented custom emote system are a big deal, but I never really understood it. It usually works almost as good to just type *does xx*, or as Asyria descriped, write the emote in general and then add the speach in "". Sure, it's easier to see if the emotes are a different color, but that's about it, it's not a bigger deal than that. It's not like it's impossible to rp without the custom emotes Wink

WAR was horrible for roleplay (you couldn't even sit or walk), and I still had some of the most fun in rp there.

So I'm sure creative people like roleplayers can find away around it Big Grin

^^; In fairness, ah ... my focus was less on the custom emotes, and more on whether or not already pre-existing emotes with accompanying, visual actions by the characters are going to get the proper command strings they have gotten in XI, as well as other MMOs, since they currently lack them a month before release.

I was just mentioning how they were pretty spiffy when I threw them out there in my post, and how it basically showed a lot more friendliness to people who wished to roleplay than other MMORPGs nowadays. Only game I even remember allowing for "/em" was EverQuest, and that was quite a while ago (I'm sure I'm totally forgetting ones made after EQ, or perhaps even before, but I don't exactly claim to be a walking MMO thesaurus ... heh).

Honestly, looking back on that passing mention of mine about "/em", if I wished for anything to come back from XI, I'd be much more interested in "motion", so that visual expressions by characters could be done sans the automatic description when one does a "/laugh" or a "/wave" as well, ensuring no repeating what one has already written (or will be writing if the expression is done before the writing) in their action.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Kashemia - 08-22-2010

Ah, sorry, I think I misunderstood a bit then Smile But my post wasn't really targeted at you, just the concern of emotes in general. I sadly can't comment much on the emote system in FFXI, as I didn't really play it much.

But yeah, I can see what you mean.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Zyanya - 08-22-2010

I would personally be more concerned about the inability to type in a custom emote than be unable to do a slash command for standard emotes. While a lot of them look really fab (albeit a few are over the top!), sometimes only a custom emote will do. Smile

Hopefully they will have things sorted by release and if not, well there's always the beloved asterisk. :approve:

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Sylian - 08-22-2010

I'm not too worried about it, personally. A /e command would be great, and I do hope they'll add it in, but if not, no biggie Smile Aion didn't have it either, and its just a matter of getting used to.

As for shortcuts to standard emotes, I reckon they'll add that sooner or later. If not at launch, then after. ^^

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-22-2010

Eulanna Wrote:Hopefully they will have things sorted by release and if not, well there's always the beloved asterisk. :approve:

And hyphen, the asterisk is not alone in this world.

Re: The still-existing lack of /emote: concerned? - Asyria - 08-22-2010

I thought you meant about custom emotes, too. ^^;

But really the emote menu doesn't take much longer to use and it lets you see all that's available.