Hydaelyn Role-Players
Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd (/showthread.php?tid=4233)

Pages: 1 2 3

Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - LilMomoshi - 09-02-2013

So, according to the description from the Lodestone page, posted yesterday (at this link: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/4b021eb3d632f08be9d6198fd595066b31d7fb59) they're putting up new worlds and implementing countermeasures for the duty finder, as well as "several known issues". This doesn't give me a lot of hope for getting onto Balmung, as there's no mention of server capacity getting better. So, anyoen else have insight to this I'm missing? Is there any hope of still getting on Balmung? Because after pulling an all-nighter and other late nights leading up to and over the weekend, the server doesn't seem to be opening up ever.

RE: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - Naunet - 09-02-2013

This has been on my mind since they announced their plans as well, and it's extremely concerning.

It's possible it's something that just got lost in the vagueness of the wording, but... I'm not about to put any faith in that kind of a hope.

RE: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - Cato - 09-02-2013

I'm just hoping that they'll be lifting the restrictions in regards to creating new characters. I plan to create a completely new character now that I'm more familiar with how the game works and my partner wishes to play a different race to what he originally intended.

RE: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - Kyatai - 09-02-2013

I am hoping... that -initially- they will block new characters from being added to the presently over-filled servers, forcing those that don't really care what server they join to go to one of the new ones.
Also hoping for free char transfers- in case friends from existing servers want to go with the friends that have to go to another server- thus freeing up the over-filled servers.
THEN....
Open up the overfilled servers (with newly expanded load) to new members- that way... give all the servers a chance to even out.

Yes, I know that sucks for folks wanting to come to Balmung/Gilgamesh... but if they allow for free transfers... maybe those characters you've created on another server can be moved to Balmung/Gilgamesh....

Can always hope. I want to see all our community with those they want to be with... but don't want to endure this 1017 nonsense anymore....

And would REALLY love it if Super Uterus and other... such... named characters might have a chance to vacate.... Tongue

RE: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - LilMomoshi - 09-02-2013

I'm honestly just frustrated by it all, at this point, as many people are. I played in beta, but once open beta hit everything filled up in a heartbeat. My wife and I have been waiting for weeks now, and there hasn't been a single chance to make our characters. If I had the money to transfer, I probably would've made a character on another server, but that's not really an option for me at the moment, and there's not a solid guarantee that there will even be room on Balmung at that point. I just wanna RP with a solid community!

Also, when will MMO's learn to just designate one or two RP servers and step aside? I mean, yeah, several of the ones on WoW died, but that was just because of an influx of trolls or large groups of non-rpers fleeing toxic "normal" servers. I mean, I figured at LEAST Neverwinter would've launched with an RP server...

I've always thought... if the devs just did this:

- Created a RP designated server
- Upon choosing to roll on said server, there is a brief explanation of what a RP server is, that there will be naming and behaviour rules. And the sanctions should they be violated. This is a box you must 'check' that you've read and understood before progressing.
- The name generator is coded to allow for appropriate names. Of course, some will slip through the cracks (humans are creative!) but would help weed out some
- For the first bit of the game's launch- there is a dedicated group of mods that are responsive to reports and complaints- and will punish those that do not adhere to the rules they HAD TO READ and CHECK.
- Per the Rules, an offensive name can be changed to an inoffensive one. A griefer is given 3 warnings to stop their behaviour- then unceremoniously transplanted to another server w/o the ability to transfer back. Their account would be 'marked'. If they continue to be asshats, they can have their account removed.

Honestly, this would only have to go on for a few months, stringently following the rules for the word to get out that the GM's mean business.... then the policing shouldn't have to be so rigorous.

Of course, likewise, those people that report other RPers/players out of spite and for no reason could ALSO be warned and unceremoniously removed....
So yeah... dedicated GMs to police and investigate such things for a few months til everything calms and the word gets out....
Then hopefully a more happy, healthy environment of RPers and PvEers that are RP-tolerant.

I won't pretend to understand the technical side of things since the extent of my technical knowledge is to smack something that's broken until it starts working again. Despite that, though, I do hope that they'll at least let people who already have a character on Balmung/Gilgamesh create additional characters on Balmung/Gilgamesh.

RE: Concerns About Server Maintenance Sept 3rd - Darkfae - 09-02-2013

The "forced RP server" method is just too expensive, as you would HAVE to hire an extra team, and even then, there's a performance hit. Most of the time, GMs of games can go from server to server, dealing with actual issues as they come up; by forcing a group of them to stay on one server, and handle things that are, frankly, low on the totem pole of issues in a game isn't cost effective. Things have to be prioritised, and game breaking issues (like being stuck in geometry with return/teleport not working, items going missing, hacked accounts, etc) are far more important than what you'd like them to be doing; sure, griefers are up there on the totem pole, but monitoring names and all that goes with them are not.

We tried that at SOE for a very brief time back when they brought up Firiona Vie as a server (and hell, even the Legacy server, since it had dedicated GMs), and it resulted in major hits to effectiveness overall for the GM team. If major issues occur, and a bunch of GMs can't get off the RP server immediately to deal with it, it makes the situation worse. Furthermore, it's outright favouritism, non-RPers (who are their vast majority of players) do take not of it and call them on it, and that doesn't work out in the end (see the EQ1 Legacy server, for example) on multiple levels. It's simply just not worth it on their end, and it likely never will be.

I just want to see a little more recognition of Roleplayers. Blizzard has managed to get by (even if realms like Earthen Ring have long since been relegated to a normal server with a different name), and servers like Wyrmrest Accord and Moon Guard, whatever opinion people may have of the latter, have managed to hold on to a strong RP community over the years, with little need of interference (outside of the Goldshire situation). I just don't see why that approach can't be taken.
All in all, though, the roleplay community tends to at least designate a home for themselves, whatever the game, and situations like this just serve to divide that community to its own detriment, which is the situation we're in now. There's no guarantee of free transfers, especially TO a server that will likely hold on to a high population even if some people leave.

I suppose you have a point...
But...
*sighs*
A person can dream. Tongue

((seriously- I CAN see how it would be time consuming and not cost effective... I -do- understand. But at the same time, if RPers love a game, they will remain in it far longer than the PvE/PvPers that burn through to endgame, then complain about how 'boring' the game is now. I mean... hell- you worked for SOE. I know for a fact that I, and my "crew", would not have remained in SWG as long as we had- even past the NGE- if it hadn't been for the RP community. Still, yes, it tanked b/c not enough PvEers... (but that was partially due to poor choices of the company (and subsequent rejection of all things SOE, even after the attempt to return it to prior form), not players). It was a solid niche game that really DID cater to the RPers... and for that, I shall always hold SWG close to my heart. And miss it. A lot.))

Role-players aren't really a minority judging by what I've seen of the various MMO's that I've played over the years. There's a lot of implications that in MMO's such as WoW there's far more role-players than there are high end raiders. Does that mean we require special treatment? Not necessarily - but we're definitely a pretty decent chunk of the community in many old and new MMO's.

In fairness, though, Square Enix have done a lot of stuff for role-players. As a major example you couldn't even sit down in chairs in Guild Wars 2, yet you can in FFXIV.

My god, I can't express the sheer joy I felt in beta when my Lalafell first sat in a chair when I just typed /sit next to it... and the bonus joy when he didn't look silly in that chair, or have his face level with the table edge... (See gnomish chair-edge-sitting for reference to the alternative).

and the implementation of houses... tho they will be ungodly expensive.
Still... its something.
(wish we could build them ala SWG or Vanguard... but an EQ2 version of instances is... okay too... as long as it doesn't shunt all RP into 'inaccessible' areas and create a dead public RP community.

I'm ridiculously excited about the implementation of player housing. It's one of those features I've wanted to see in a modern MMO for years now, resulting in disappointment when MMO's such as GW2 decided to avoid adding it despite kicking up a fuss during the marketing period.

I didn't get the chance to play many of the older MMO's out there, though from what I hear a lot of of them implemented in-depth player housing with some pretty large levels of customisation. I look forward to seeing what we can do in FFXIV when I get around to buying a house for my character. It seems like we'll have a lot of options at our fingertips and we'll be able to establish our characters as actually living in the world.

Not to go completely off topic, mind you - but player housing is one of the upcoming features keeping me sane whilst enduring the unfortunate issues afflicting the servers at the moment.

I'm rooting in the back of my head for something similar to guild halls, and for housing to be in the same instance in that. Walking from my house with a guildmate over to the guild hall... yeah... I wanna do that.