Hydaelyn Role-Players
Aaayyy! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Aaayyy! (/showthread.php?tid=4207)

Aaayyy! - Hunter - 09-01-2013

Well then, my real name is Marcus, though, for simplicity's sake, I'll be going by Hunter on this forum site... I've lurked around the site for a bit, and decided that it was high time for me to join, and to introduce myself to ya'll. So, without further ado...

--MMORPG background
I played WoW for a little while, though it was primarily an on and off experience. I never really got completely sucked into the game (though, frankly, I did suck at it). Some of the most fun I've had with WoW was RPing with people around Stormwind, and I did manage to find some good guilds, which was fun for the time, but, when they disbanded, my interest in the game died off completely. I played SWTOR a little bit when it launched and enjoyed that, but I never was able to RP with anyone on there (unfortunately, despite being on an RP server, I never found any RP going on). I'll just put this out there and state that I am not particularly good at MMO gaming. I have no idea how to tank/heal functionally, etc (hence why my classes are usually DPS oriented). I do hope, though, with FFXIV that I can learn to fulfill a good role with whatever group of people I end up gaming with.

--RP experience

As stated before, I've RP'd in WoW a little bit (and had a blast while doing it). I've done rather extensive text based forum roleplaying since about 2003/4, so, about ten years now. I've roleplayed on all sorts of sites, ranging from Final Fantasy (VII and X notably), Dragonball Z, Digimon, Lord of the Rings, other various fantasy settings, Star Wars, and even Marvel comics. I haven't played DnD before (which seems like something many of you have done). Not that it's something that doesn't interest me, I just don't really have many friends in the real world who share that hobby.

--Character ideas/info

As it stands, I was late to the party and unable to join the main group on either Balmung or Gilgamesh (I'm aiming for Balmung... though I'll be happy with whatever I can get, whenever I can get it), so I'm stuck playing on Odin. I've basically been playing the game to learn a little bit of the lore, and familiarize myself with the mechanics, so when (remaining optimistic, here) I get onto Balmung or Gilgamesh, I'll be ready to create my main and dive in head first. I've been throwing some character ideas around, and here's the basics I can provide (basically, what's gained at character creation): A hyur, midlander, male, named Hunter Luthenstein who is originally from Limsa Lominsa. I'm planning to have him start in Gridania, with the goal of being a Dragoon (depending on how much fun being a lancer is... we'll see). I've got some more details, but until I get everything sorted out, I'll keep those private.

--How did you learn about the coalition?
I googled Final Fantasy XIV roleplaying community, or something of the sort, and voila! I found ya'll!

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

I'd say medium-heavy. I've been enjoying the game on its own so far (though RPing would make the experience that much better...), so, I can still do that, but, overall, I like my RP to be rather immersive. I enjoy both light hearted RP where characters can just hang out, as well as heavier, darker, more mature themes as well. I really enjoy rather mature themed roleplay (***NOT ERP***). With all that in mind, though, I don't need to be IC 100% of the time. I find RP guilds can often be very tightly knit communities, and I find it fun to get to know the minds behind these characters. So, when I'm playing the game, it's often fun to just do some OOC chatting as well... Hopefully that tells you a bit about what type of RP person I am? Maybe?

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

Well, I'm pretty much an open book... I'm 23 years old, and live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'm studying to be an elementary school teacher (currently in my second year). I am ridiculously passionate about music. I love many different genres, ranging from classical, to jazz, to big band, to country, to rap, to the heaviest of heavy metals (I love me some death metal). The only genre I can't seem to get into is electronic music. It's just not for me. I play guitar, bass, and drums, and I used to play trombone back in high school. I could talk about music literally all day, so, feel free to strike up that conversation with me any time. I also enjoy video games (as I suppose is evident because I am on a site for one?). My favorite franchise is easily Metal Gear Solid, with my three favorite games of all time being Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Final Fantasy VII (I can't pick a favorite out of those three).

As for other hobbies... I'm quite physically active. I enjoy running, and I do Muay Thai kickboxing four nights a week. I've taken a few Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes, but due to work/school couldn't find the time to continue (Though I definitely want to do more). I've also just began weight lifting. I'm scrawny as all hell, and would like to change that a bit, haha. For the record: despite my love of martial arts, I have no aspirations of being the next ultimate fighter, haha. I also love riding motorcycles, and will be buying myself my first Harley next spring... I hope...

Umm, that was rather long winded, I suppose. But, since I can't log in right now, this was about all I could really think of doing this Sunday night. At least until Breaking Bad comes on...

Hope to hear from ya'll, and I'm looking forwards to getting to know you better! I can't wait until I get to join you on one of the designated RP servers. Until then, this forum will suffice.Cool

RE: Aaayyy! - Dehqon - 09-02-2013

Welcome to the RPC, Hunter! I'm afraid I can't apologize much for the lack of a welcome wagon, but I'm sure the regulars would have welcomed you as well if they were here. Whichever server you end up playing on, I'd be more than happy to chat with you on Skype or even in-game if you manage to squeeze into Balmung once the server expansions are settled in.

I don't have much experience playing a lancer so I can't really tell you if I had any fun or not, but I know people who fanboy a bit over the dragoon's jump ability. If it turns out that lancer/dragoon doesn't work for you or the character, I'd be willing to help throw ideas around to find something that will work if you feel stuck.

RE: Aaayyy! - Clover - 09-02-2013

Welcome! I hope you can join any of the servers as soon as possible. If you end up in Balmung, maybe our characters will meet someday ^^
Have fun here!