Hydaelyn Role-Players
A job related RP question. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A job related RP question. (/showthread.php?tid=4073)

Pages: 1 2

A job related RP question. - Boo - 08-28-2013

(I apologize in advance if this has already been asked)
I've wondered if the fact that you need to have two classes to get to a certain level (for the sake of rp let's say a certain level of mastery) to get that advanced job was considered cannon or not.

My character is a thaumaturge, and technically she would become later on a black mage. But in game you need to get the pugilist class as well to become a BM. The thing is that my character is supposed to be extremely weak physically, and thus wouldn't be able to fight as a physical fighter. This would mean that she would be forced to stay a thaumaturge forever (and to be perfectly honest this could work in my favor, as it would just frustrate an already frustrated character more Tongue).

Or have you RPers decided how characters manage to get a job without having to master two classes? Maybe you guys already made up trials and the like?

Thanks for the answers!

RE: A job related RP question. - Maqali Qulaan - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 05:27 AM)Boo Wrote: (I apologize in advance if this has already been asked)
I've wondered if the fact that you need to have two classes to get to a certain level (for the sake of rp let's say a certain level of mastery) to get that advanced job was considered cannon or not.

My character is a thaumaturge, and technically she would become later on a black mage. But in game you need to get the pugilist class as well to become a BM. The thing is that my character is supposed to be extremely weak physically, and thus wouldn't be able to fight as a physical fighter. This would mean that she would be forced to stay a thaumaturge forever (and to be perfectly honest this could work in my favor, as it would just frustrate and already frustrated character more Tongue).

Or have you RPers decided how characters manage to get a job without having to master two classes? Maybe you guys already made up trials and the like?

Thanks for the answers!
I don't speak for everyone when I say this, but for me personally I tend to divorce in game class from character RP to some extent. How much really depends on the class(es) and character. S'janna, for instance, is a half-decent archer and knows her way around a spear, but is only level 1 in both classes. On the other hand, she's a level 16 arcanist despite ICly not having much clue how to summon something. RPly, she knows a little bit of healing, and a touch of offensive magic, and that's it.

In short, I wouldn't let in-game limitations on mechanics limit your RP. In my opinion, at least.

RE: A job related RP question. - LeCard - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 05:27 AM)Boo Wrote: (I apologize in advance if this has already been asked)

My character is a thaumaturge, and technically she would become later on a black mage. But in game you need to get the pugilist class as well to become a BM. The thing is that my character is supposed to be extremely weak physically, and thus wouldn't be able to fight as a physical fighter. This would mean that she would be forced to stay a thaumaturge forever (and to be perfectly honest this could work in my favor, as it would just frustrate and already frustrated character more Tongue).

Thanks for the answers!
You could say that your character has taken up "boxing" in an effort to overcome her weakness. now, that could end in never getting above the required level 15, and thus remaining still "weak" in the eyes of the melee masters. After all, learning the forms and tecnique does not mean she is strong enough to use them with any real level of power.

RE: A job related RP question. - Mr.Bear - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 05:37 AM)LeCard Wrote:

Thanks for the answers!
You could say that your character has taken up "boxing" in an effort to overcome her weakness. now, that could end in never getting above the required level 15, and thus remaining still "weak" in the eyes of the melee masters. After all, learning the forms and tecnique does not mean she is strong enough to use them with any real level of power.

I tend to RP the class I main, which happens to be a Thaumaturge like the original poster. But like others said it's usually okay to seperate class mechanics with RP to a certain extent, as long as you don't do anything silly OP stuff and it makes sense for your character and all that.

So if your character has the capabilities to become a black mage, the know-how, go for it. That said, you can also limit her if you wish. It depends what you want really and what you think might be good RP

RE: A job related RP question. - Maeve - 08-28-2013

You need archer for black mage Smile As for canon, I am roleplaying that shes dabbled in the other classes needed - but that shes not very good at them compared to her job.

RE: A job related RP question. - Asyria - 08-28-2013

Wiki says youi need Arcanist for Black Mage. O_O

What I think is ICly speaking, you simply must expand your horizons to get the "real deal".

RE: A job related RP question. - E'irawen - 08-28-2013

I, personally, divide IG from IC.

Ophelia, more or less, is an in-progress songstress (or Bard, as the game refers). To be a bard in the actual gameplay, you need levels beneath conjury and archery. Neither suits her though and don't make any sense whatsoever to include in her history/abilities. (Maybe archery one day...).   So, she's a bard/songstress, but doesn't include the game mechanics of requiring either of the two classes.

However, this is just my personal take on it. The stance on this subject seems to vary greatly from person to person.

So, the short of it really is that you can do what you want for it. If you were a bard, you're more than welcome to somehow incorporate those two classes. On the other hand, you're also more than welcome not to.

As Mr. Bear put it, it's alright to do either, as long as you don't go overpowered/godmod with it. I kind of just follow the golden RP rule of "Don't be a dick."

RE: A job related RP question. - Magellan - 08-28-2013

I generally disagree with forcing game mechanics into your RP if it doesn't fit. The game was not built with RPers in mind, it was built for gamers. My archer needs lvl 15 CNJ to become a bard, yet ICly she has no aptitude for magic. I refuse to change her character smply to meet a game mechanic that again, was not made with rpers in mind.

RE: A job related RP question. - E'irawen - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 11:04 AM)Magellan Wrote: I generally disagree with forcing game mechanics into your RP if it doesn't fit. The game was not built with RPers in mind, it was built for gamers. My archer needs lvl 15 CNJ to become a bard, yet ICly she has no aptitude for magic. I refuse to change her character smply to meet a game mechanic that again, was not made with rpers in mind.

Precisely! This is how I feel on it. However, I think if people can figure out a way to include it and make it (logically) work, then more power too them.

RE: A job related RP question. - Magellan - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 11:05 AM)Kaoru Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 11:04 AM)Magellan Wrote: I generally disagree with forcing game mechanics into your RP if it doesn't fit. The game was not built with RPers in mind, it was built for gamers. My archer needs lvl 15 CNJ to become a bard, yet ICly she has no aptitude for magic. I refuse to change her character smply to meet a game mechanic that again, was not made with rpers in mind.

Precisely! This is how I feel on it. However, I think if people can figure out a way to include it and make it (logically) work, then more power too them.

I agree! If you can find a way to incorporate, it can make for some very interesting rp. But don't deconstruct your character just to shove something into your story that doesn't belong there :p

RE: A job related RP question. - Edgar Callant - 08-28-2013

I agree with most: if you don't want to have it part of your character ICly, then just treat it as game mechanics.

Other the other hand, I am excited Archer is the second class as my Miqo'te was originally a hunter prior to her affinity with black magick showed itself. Then she was shipped away as her Keeper's family isn't familiar with it so she can train. So now I can pick those 2 classes up only and not worry about a third.

RE: A job related RP question. - Boo - 08-28-2013

(Why it's in italic I have no bloody idea, it doesn't want to switch back to normal text either)
@S'Janna Well what I meant is that unlike having two different classes, Black Mage is basically a straight upgrade of thaumaturge, so you can't just end up being BLM without starting as a thaumaturge, unlike something like Archer and Bard, those two can be very different rp wise even if it's technically an upgrade of Archer.

@LeCard That's actually a pretty good idea, though she wouldn't be able to use technique even at their weakset application. But I can see that somewhat working.

@Mr.Bear But what are the requirements to become a black mage when you're a thaumaturge in the RP world? How do you become one?

@Maeve @Asyria Wait what, last time I read the wiki it was Pugilist that was needed? Well drawing a bow still requires a lot of arm strength, arcanist though is doable.

@Kaoru @Magellan I thought about it but Bard can be handled very differently from Archer, while THM and BLM and pretty much the same. Still I do agree somewhat.

Well thanks for the answers.

RE: A job related RP question. - Maeve - 08-28-2013

Definitely archer I'm afraid. I know the pain, I leveled up Arcanist thinking surely it was more logical, nopes. lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1l29jn/

RE: A job related RP question. - Hansem Wildsteel - 08-28-2013

I would say that my character trained to overcome a weakness but ultimately failed.

level 15 is pretty much basic training, so it would fit.

That being said...why would any class with a physical component be included in a black mage job is beyond me....

RE: A job related RP question. - Coral Ferrinas - 08-28-2013

It's totally alright, to say the same logic, I played a MUD game called Achaea. When we need to log out, we usually say "my soul is needed elsewhere", or "my soul is tired, and need resting."
One of the benefits of being a role-player is the ability to navigate around the game mechanic. In FF XIV, I could just say, "I will retreat back to the inn." And many will know what that's means. 

The best thing about it, is that there isn't a specific way to go about things, you could have a way of doing it that could spread to the entire linkshell, while another linkshell would do it in a different way. That is totally fine, because an experienced role-player is tolerant about new idea and flexible about it - they will role-play accordingly.

Chances are, not more people will asked specifically why you said you are weak yet you have pugilist experience in your skill set displayed on the info windows, because everyone knows it's a game mechanic.

If you do worries about it, at the very least you have a reason standing by. Any of the suggested idea will work.