Hydaelyn Role-Players
Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! (/showthread.php?tid=2928)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Orlog - 07-18-2013

The thread is more about characters that either influenced your character or ended up unintentionally similar. In the long run, this helps people get a generally better feel with your character right from the get go. (Or... that's the hope, anyway)

Anyway, to answer my own thread, I hadn't really had many direct character influences when I was making Bea, but when I started playing around on Borderlands 2 again, I found that Patricia Tannis is eerily similar in behaviors, minus some of the violence and being prone to outburst. Bea, though it might not seem it at first, is very much a lady of science, and very much disconnected with the world.

And... that's all that I could come up with at the moment. I'm currently wracking my brain trying to find any other characters that might be similar, but no luck so far! I'll be sure to update this post if I come across any others.

RE: Characters in media that influance/are similar to your character! - Nox - 07-18-2013

Oh, how I wish there were a simple answer for this. I have so many influences that I tweak here and there to make my characters that it's difficult to pin-point one or two. Because of that, I also find an extreme amount of trouble in finding a character that is similar. X'sato is like so many characters, yet different in so many ways. I suppose, if I had to choose one character that he was the most like off the top of my head, I might be stuck with... hm...

Jin-Ho Myung, the protagonist of Unbalance x Unbalance (its a manwha, and a fantastic read). They're both driven to accomplish their goals, both are awkward at times, both face the challenge of questioning their direction, and both fight tooth and nail for what they believe in. I know that list is kind of a cop out because its extremely vague, but drawing comparisons is not my strong suit. Their personalities are similar, but not too much. Maybe just enough to say "similar".

RE: Characters in media that influance/are similar to your character! - Shuck - 07-18-2013

If Captain Ahab and Captain Nemo had some kind of weird English/Indian clone-baby together, and Nemo's line were to suddenly lose all their money, you would get something really, really close to Isaac Jacobi.

Admittedly, he'd be more like his latter dad than his former, but there's a kind of heedless, obsessive, borderline maniacal drive behind him that speaks pretty strongly of what I took away from Moby Dick. Really, it's all in the symbology. Without giving a ton away, the titular white whale is often times thought to symbolize god, fate, blah, blah blah (basically, the inevitable, or a force of nature that is inherently careless and/or destructive), and there's a busted dude who'll give absolutely anything (and that means anything) to spite it, harm it, and hopefully kill it.

On the other hand, we've got Nemo. I mean, I can't really say much more than that link I provided does, so in the interest of space, we'll just leave it here.

RE: Characters in media that influance/are similar to your character! - Maeve - 07-18-2013

Maeve has been influenced by some characters, just bits taken from here and there really. They are:

Her positive personality traits and also her willingness to sacrifice and make those tough decisions - Moiraine Damodred from Wheel of Time
[Image: tumblr_maf8u17n9Q1r4r1czo1_500.jpg]

Her darker side - Morgan (Eva Green) from Camelot
[Image: tumblr_mjtb14Lb1j1qhkkp7o6_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_mjtb14Lb1j1qhkkp7o5_250.gif]

and a mixture of things from my most beloved actress Lara Pulver, when she portrays Isabella Thorton in the BBC's Robin Hood:
[Image: tumblr_mls0xto8A81sp7toso1_500.jpg]

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Asyria - 07-19-2013

Azyria being a vigilante, I could name a ton of characters that are valid inspirations, but I guess mostly Cybersix (though I like to compare with Batman cause it's funnier). Much like her, Azyria isn't all that infaillible, and leads a pretty modest normal life otherwise (as opposed to that of a millionaire).

Jeanette draws a bit of inspiration from Lulu in FF X. She's tall and likes to dress in black and she does black magic (but possibly arcanist if I end up liking it).

My roegadyn and hyur were really made up on the fly, though you could possibly draw a parallel between Agata and She-Hulk because they're both green and strong, but that's about it, or Fiona from Shrek because they're both green-skinned with red hair but that's it. It's not like I really thought about either of them when I created her. o_o

RE: Characters in media that influance/are similar to your character! - Zyrusticae - 07-19-2013

Sadly, my characters are built the way they are specifically because of a lack of characters of their particular archetype. I mean, how many hyperactive, yet pragmatic cute bruisers (with a dash of petite pride) are there in fiction, exactly?
(Hint: There are none)

Actually, pragmatism in general is rather in short supply these days, especially when it comes to female characters. This is something of a pet peeve of mine, even. The biggest example, female warriors - the practical thing to do is wear armor that deflects blows away from your vitals, to cut your hair short or tie it down well, and to train your body to the extent that you are much more of your weight in muscle than in fat. Yet how many female warriors exhibit any of these traits, much less all of them?

And then there are the personalities that are often written into these characters. Do they even have any? Heh. Heh-heh. The less said about that, the better.

Hence, characters like T'ranu are a product of my frustration with the way the media (and even other players) generally portray women who go into battle. However, at the same time, I will admit that some of it is simply an idealization of myself (her hair, skin, and eye color are exactly the same as mine).

I suppose I should mention characters that do have an influence on mine, to some extent. Here goes:
Show Content
Show Content
Show Content
Show Content
Show Content
I think that'll do for now. I would have mentioned female Commander Shepherd, but, well, her character is more an accident of design than an intentional one (as is evidenced by that ridiculous poll they did for her appearance on Facebook). The writers even admit to this, saying that male Shepherd was the default and female Shepherd merely defaulted to masculine mannerisms because of it (rather than being an intentional direction for her design). So yeah, pretty much all of my examples come from Japan (even Noodle - she comes from Japan in-universe, lol).

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Uther - 07-19-2013

Uther is heavily inspired by a few characters. Most notably is a young King Arthur. He's tough, he's fair, and he holds himself to his own standards. Aragorn also played a big part in the character's personality, as someone who is an experienced exile kind of hiding in plain sight. Also, a lot of inspiration was taken from the story of Ivanhoe, the disinherited knight. I threw in a little Robin Hood, as well, for spunk and personality, despite his strong moral code. I also took some notes from a few well-written Superman origin stories, in posing the question "How do I fit into this world?" because, while Uther is still from Eorzea, Ishgard is in a state of extreme isolation.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Uther - 07-19-2013

(07-18-2013, 10:23 PM)Shuck Wrote:  Captain Nemo 

YES!

[Image: 62GBD00Z.jpg]
"The greatest treasures of all, Mister Land, are a sound mind and a full belly. I hope you remember that before stooping to pick up pennies."

One of the most underrated characters in fiction. Completely destroyed by The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. In Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Aronnax states that he can't pinpoint Nemo's place of origin, hypothesizing that he could be from the Mediterranean regions, the Middle East, or India... yet in the aforementioned comic, as well as the movie, he might as well be Apu from the Simpsons. He's got a beard, a turban, and statues of Hindu gods everywhere. Completely ruined by cheap stereotyping. (I know, I know. He has a long beard in The Mysterious Island)

That was a bit of a rant, but yeah, Nemo is easily one of my favorite fictional characters. I tried to make a lalafell and a miqo'te based on Nemo before I joined the RPC, but both were really boring and I ended up with Uther. I applaud you for succeeding where I failed. And you get bonus points for mixing Captain Nemo with Lovecraftian influences in your writing.

And for the record, just to get my daily bragging out of the way, I definitely said "Your character reminds me of Captain Nemo" a few months ago, before you ever mentioned Nemo.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Dogberry - 07-19-2013

I've said in other threads that Dogberry has a similarity to Marv from the Sin City comics. He's not nearly as chauvanistic and socially ignorant as Marv is, but at his core, he is a very big man with a very violent nature and a tendency toward emotional confusion. Like Marv, Dogberry finds it easy to get emotionally invested.

Dogberry also resembles Brock Sampson when his over the top machismo conflicts which some of the not-so-macho things he does. While watching The Venture Brothers, I became fascinated with the idea of a character who was basically the ideal macho man, yet would still do things like dress up in victorian garb and having a tea party just to humor someone he cared about. He either isn't aware of this clash, or if he is, he doesn't care.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Valan - 07-19-2013

I nerver Rp with this version of Sarah so i will speak about the "archetype Sarah"

Her physical appareance and her clothing style are inspired mainly from Jo from the anime "Burst Angel"

Because her first incarnation is as genderbending of a emotionally suppressed character I give her a opposite behavior and combat style from her male counterpart. The result was a violent, mocking woman with a predilection for unfair combat, her firearm (usually a shotgun) and a quite perverted lesbian attitude (but in ARR I will try to overcome it).

I think the main influences to Sarah come from:

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Manari - 07-19-2013

The character that I drew the most overall inspiration from in an SNK character that originated from the original Samurai Shodown.  Her name is Nakoruru, she is a priestess of the Ainu people, and a guardian and protector of nature.  She fights those who harm nature with a kodachi (a dagger), her hawk companion, and a large wolf.  Nakoruru is the reason I wanted Manari to be close to nature, and also love animals.  

Show Content

Manari and Nakoruru now share a similarity that I never even intended, and it's just an awesome coincidence at this point.  Nakoruru is a gentle soul, sweet and kind.  There are times when keeping the balance of nature requires killing.  Sometimes it's a rabid or feral beast that is out of control, or sometimes it's a person.  In either case, Nakoruru's kind heart is sometimes unable to take life.  In the Samurai Shodown series, there is another Nakoruru.  She is normally wearing purple and has a darker expression on her face.  Eventually in the later games she got her own name, separate from Nakoruru.  Her name is Rera, and she is the one who appears when it's time to take the life of another.  The series is fairly vague on her exact origin.  Is she some facet of Nakoruru's personality?  A split personality perhaps?  Is she a vengeful Ainu spirit?  Either way, she takes the lives that Nakoruru can't.  I have sort of given manari a moral struggle with taking lives in ARR, there isn't really a split personality, but she does put on a mask when she has to hunt people at night, and she believes just as the masks hide you from Woodsin, her mask will hide her from the sins she commits as she takes the lives of those she believes are threats to the healing of the Twelveswood.  

Here is the darker side of Nakoruru.  She's not evil at all, she's just willing to kill.  

Show Content

The second part is kind of a crazy revelation I just had.  Perhaps I was further inspired by Nakoruru on a more subconscious level or something.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Eva - 07-19-2013

Eva has been drawn upon a number of different influences - often just specific facets of other characters kind of melded together to make something a little different.

Inspirations so far have included (but are not limited to) the following:

Kes from ST:Voyager (admittedly her namesake)
Deanna Troi from ST:TNG
Egwene from the WoT series (and probably by some extention Moiraine whom I know was mentioned earlier)
Winnie the Pooh (yes, really)
Juliet Burke from Lost
Elim Garak from STBig GrinS9 (not just cuz he's a tailor either)

There are others, but the melding of that sort of "deep simplicity" with "empathy" with "coy secretiveness" sort of all mesh together to make Eva who she is. If that makes sense.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - allgivenover - 07-19-2013

In the case of Rakka'li Kuhn, the character that comes to mind first as the most similar would be Zidane Tribal from Final Fantasy IX.

[Image: Yoshitaka_Amano_Zidane_FFIX.png]

They have a lot in common; a friendly, easy-going personality, a reputation for skirt-chasing, and a tendency towards unabashed confidence that can come off as arrogance - a facade that also serves as a cover for a few insecurities. The well known trope the Loveable Rogue adequately describes both of them, though Li only resorts to stealing when he absolutely has too. He also shares with Zidane his tendency to hide his own problems, and not seek help when he really needs it. 

He does differ from Zidane in a few ways. A trope that describes Li in a way that he isn't like Zidane would be the Ethical Slut. Li also has a pragmatic side to him, and can occasionally act selfishly. Intellectually he is very bright, but his crude mannerisms and poor education totally obscure that facet of his personality. Given the right opportunities, power, and influence he has in him the potential to become a Byronic Hero, though it's just as likely that RP could keep him from that path.

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Naunet - 07-19-2013

It's really fun to see what folk are taking inspiration from. Smile Tranu, I really like the character concept you're working with (and not just because I think it's good to play with gender identity in literature).
Regarding Antimony... I'm honestly not sure. Her base is a character I came up with a long time ago for a Forsaken in WoW. I wanted her to be just... a person, an average woman who, in the case of the WoW universe, did some terrible things to her family when she turned from the plague but was otherwise normal. A bit prudish, extremely stubborn, intellectual but never actually trained to be so. She's a woman who leans towards traditional "female" ideas and roles, while simultaneously defying them in her intellectual ambition. Sometimes in her incarnations, she is a full-blown scientist (as she is in TERA); sometimes she's just a simple accountant with more high-minded hobbies than one would presume of someone of her nature.

But in all my years roleplaying her, I don't think I've ever thought "Anti reminds me of ____." I guess I'll just leave that up to other people to decide. xD Because hell, I'm lazy!

RE: Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character! - Avarel - 07-19-2013

At first, I was planning on a sort of brainwashed child soldier a la Soma Pieries from Gundam 00 for my 'defected Garlean soldier' type character, but I'm in the process of recreating her, and what I'm brainstorming is looking to be a lot more spirited, a lot less blank-slate. One of the most fun characters I've done in the past was a rogue-type who was magically cursed with the inability to lie a la Wheel of Time's premier 'magic-user' institution except not voluntary, and that was incredibly successful; I think what I should be looking for in terms of inspiration from popular fiction media is not a character concept, but a character weakness around which to build.