Hydaelyn Role-Players
greetings from a neebie - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: greetings from a neebie (/showthread.php?tid=21101)

greetings from a neebie - Kiri92 - 12-13-2017

Bouncyi always been interested in RP but my writing skils are realy bad and i havent had the best experiences Dodgy 
BUT! i realy want to try agen, rp is pretending you are your carecter. rite? Bouncy

i started playing this game cous i was promised that i coud play whit my real life fends Undecided weeeel im a bit slow and hate the way they play Dodgy so stress full, i  wanna play to have fun! Big Grin not treat the game as a job Sad 

so im hunting for more frends! Big Grin and i realy woud like the chance to imerse myself in the world as my caracter, the problem is that cous i havent goten the chans to imerse myself i dont have a set idee of what i want my carecter to be Huh so i ceep fantasa-ing and changing race, gender and looks

ok so dunno what im saying anymore i guess what im trying to say is.

Cactuar Hello. plis guide me Cactuar

RE: greetings from a neebie - AkhutaiAngura - 12-14-2017

I dunno how to say this nicely, and I don't want to scare you off, but.

You need to work on your literacy skills. Practice writing and spelling - Grammar, punctuation, the whole nine yards. Normally people are pretty laid back and you can get away with typo's, or even with not capatalizing.. But the large amount of spelling errors will turn people off.

A tip for that - Type up your posts/whatever you're going to say in a word document first, and spell check is your friend.

Moving on from that - Welcome to the RPC! We hope you enjoy your stay. What server are you on?

RE: greetings from a neebie - Kiri92 - 12-14-2017

But is that needed in game?

I just can't become bether at writing Frustrated

RE: greetings from a neebie - Gegenji - 12-14-2017

(12-14-2017, 11:20 AM)Kiri92 Wrote: But is that needed in game?

I just can't become bether at writing Frustrated
In the regular game itself? Not so much.

However, in the cooperative storytelling aspect of RP, writing skill can be pretty important. Being able to read and understand what your character is doing is pretty necessary for your RP partner(s) to be able to respond and react to it.

That said, if English isn't your first language and/or your grasp on writing isn't all that strong... that doesn't mean you can't RP. You just might need to let others know (such as through your character info block or just letting them know straight up) so that they're aware of that situation.

Some people will be willing to work with you and RP with you anyway. Some may not. Knowing which is which through communication will hopefully help you find out which is which right from the get-go.

RE: greetings from a neebie - Kieron Lohengrin - 12-14-2017

1. Enjoy the game at your own pace. It's huge with lots to do and goals to go after. Find yourself a friendly, casual, family-style guild on Phoenix that's not too focused on rushing through content. Try looking through recruitment threads on the official forums to start with. It can take time but you might just luck out.

2. Practice. Writing is a practiced skill that can take years to master. Roleplay is real-time writing married to improv. Find yourself a small group, even just 2-3 good people, that you can practice scenes with or write forum/Discord/Skype RP posts with. Make your private RP as adventurous or silly or dumb as you want and don't give a fuck about what others think. Do it for yourself.

3. Read up on resources for lore and interviews with devs. It'll give you an idea of the kind of world your toon lives in and the kind of character they can be: heroic, working-class, etc. It's a bit of a crazy fun adventure land at this point: things like time travel, the Gold Saucer, sky pirates, dragonriding, visitors from other worlds, sentient living weapons, and ancient Allagan tech are all canon.

4. Take breaks. Don't burn yourself out on trying to make the game a second job. Don't burn yourself out on FFXIV drama llamas, because there's plenty enough of those around.

5. The open servers for roleplay are Mateus for NA and Omega for EU. If you really want to move to one where you can just watch other RPers and attend events, you'll have to pick from one of those.

good luck \o