Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] How... "clean" do you think everyone is? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] How... "clean" do you think everyone is? (/showthread.php?tid=20920)

Pages: 1 2

RE: How... "clean" do you think everyone is? - Gegenji - 11-13-2017

I think the point is more that we either don't or shouldn't have a set standard of what would work as an example. There are many places in the world that have different levels of sanitation at different times in history. So which one would be the "proper" one to use in comparison in this case?

With no set analogue for comparison purposes, why wouldn't using Western Europe be any more outlandish than the Inuit?

Though, as a counterpoint to my own argument, I'd move that the Inuits might not be that great of an example for dentistry purposes because we have so many examples of in-game sweets that using a low-sweet society would probably not work. Between the cakes and chocolates and candy, there's some pretty solid evidence of more modern levels of sugar intake.

RE: How... "clean" do you think everyone is? - Shofie - 11-19-2017

It's a big "it depends". The world has a distinctly fantasy medieval feel to it, and it's unlikely the average citizen would have access to, or care so much about, personal cleanliness potentially. But there's nothing stopping you from saying your character is fastidious.

My character works out daily, and does a lot of heavy lifting, and gets sweaty and gross. Her husband is extremely fastidious and insists she bathe after workouts so she doesn't get stinky. Left to her own devices, this is probably something she doesn't do as often.

RE: How... "clean" do you think everyone is? - Valence - 11-20-2017

(11-13-2017, 01:26 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I think the point is more that we either don't or shouldn't have a set standard of what would work as an example. There are many places in the world that have different levels of sanitation at different times in history. So which one would be the "proper" one to use in comparison in this case?

With no set analogue for comparison purposes, why wouldn't using Western Europe be any more outlandish than the Inuit?

Though, as a counterpoint to my own argument, I'd move that the Inuits might not be that great of an example for dentistry purposes because we have so many examples of in-game sweets that using a low-sweet society would probably not work. Between the cakes and chocolates and candy, there's some pretty solid evidence of more modern levels of sugar intake.

I'm not even sure why we are talking about "Western Europe". It can be a lot of other civilizations.

Or it can just be, you know, Eorzea.

RE: How... "clean" do you think everyone is? - sersi - 11-20-2017

if we consider that what is in game is also in canon houses have things like fountains, hot tubs and showers. we also have access to advanced hair stylings (the aesthetician), so I would think hygiene is less "old world western europe" and at least analogous to the industrial age, if not modern.