Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] What or how did rp come to you? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] What or how did rp come to you? (/showthread.php?tid=20893)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Zen Ares - 11-10-2017

It was purely and simply an act of rebellion toward my husband, and a celebration of "I do what I want" when we separated. 

I became fascinated with watching others RP in Ultima Online, tried it out with someone holding my hand, and then tried to get my husband interested in it. He didn't understand what RP was all about and ended up trolling the RP events I brought him to. It caused him to lash out further: When I refused to stop and was at work one day, he deleted my characters, my ICQ account, and canceled my sub. 

Fast forward two years: We were separated, I moved out and got my own place and began thinking of all the things I wanted to do that he wouldn't let me do. I went straight for Star Wars Galaxies, made an entertainer and started RPing hardcore, drinking up the RP scene as if coming off a long drought. 

I never looked back; on many levels!

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Caspar - 11-11-2017

Around middle school, or early HS, I got my start writing Imaginary FAQ for original characters to an original theoretical fighting game. I became more interested in writing a detailed plot from then on out as I thought of why the character behaved the way they did and how they learned their special moves. I slowly grew from "they have this because it's cool" to "why did they learn it?" and things spiraled out of control from there.

Later RP, mostly forum based, was largely an experiment to help me stay fresh for writing exercises, but slowly became a hobby of its own and "joined" with my IAQ interest years before. I played pen and paper RPGs as well, but because most of these were IRL I was too self-conscious to RP during games.

Finding the RPC wiki by accident was what led me to RP in FFXIV, my first MMO RP. Prior to this, I had not RP'd in a good four or five years.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Whale - 11-12-2017

Just got back and read all this and they were pretty interesting since i had to research all these acronyms.

So from what i have gathered from all of the comments is that everyone is more or less drawn to rp because of the love of storytelling even if it is something small like a side story. It is the desire to know more or immerse yourself into the world that is the appeal of rp, from what I've gathered anyway.

From my view, getting into this because you wish to improve your writing skill is also a fun and effective way to go about it too. It is difficult to get the background or objective of a character to work with the overall goal or nature of the world, nevermind the reactions to other different characters created and controlled by other people.

This was a very fun to read all in all and it was surprisingly informative. I learned new acronyms and found board games I've never heard of. It was also interesting to see how this could improve one's story building and writing. All in all, this was beyond interesting(btw teadrinker, you're gonna have to do a lot better than that if you want me to cringeCool)

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Mimi - 11-17-2017

I must've been 12 or so, and I came across good ol' Naruto roleplay on a forumotion site. Thinking about it, it was really bad, but as a young kid you don't really think about it.

That's mostly it. I've been stuck on role-playing since then. I've been on/off within the recent years, and I usually feel self-conscious about it because English isn't my first language. But, it's a good way to improve on your writing skills and learn to better yourself.

I usually like to brainstorm about lore, my character's lore, making complicated characters if able. I'm still kinda rusty Sad but I hope to get better.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - ExAtomos - 11-17-2017

Got into tabletop roleplaying just after high school, then did some forum and chatplanet rp online (I'm old lol.), found a good MUD (Lensmoor), got into larps and the SCA (if they say they're not roleplaying, they're lying). Didn't really get into mmos (besides dabbling a bit here and there with EQ and the like) until XIV since it's on console and I've rarely had a decent pc (still don't) much less a regular place to live til recently.

I just love being able to write (it's like art with words) and share stories with others as well as play as different people.
Moogle

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Zhavi - 11-17-2017

(11-12-2017, 04:00 PM)Whale Wrote: Just got back and read all this and they were pretty interesting since i had to research all these acronyms.

So from what i have gathered from all of the comments is that everyone is more or less drawn to rp because of the love of storytelling even if it is something small like a side story. It is the desire to know more or immerse yourself into the world that is the appeal of rp, from what I've gathered anyway.

From my view, getting into this because you wish to improve your writing skill is also a fun and effective way to go about it too. It is difficult to get the background or objective of a character to work with the overall goal or nature of the world, nevermind the reactions to other different characters created and controlled by other people.

This was a very fun to read all in all and it was surprisingly informative. I learned new acronyms and found board games I've never heard of. It was also interesting to see how this could improve one's story building and writing. All in all, this was beyond interesting(btw teadrinker, you're gonna have to do a lot better than that if you want me to cringeCool)

YOU SHOULD TRY IT. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Suko'to - 11-19-2017

For me, it started with D&D and CYOA Books as well. They opened up the realm, and set the base, I think. I didn't really start Roleplaying though until I learned about a little chat room on AOL called Red Dragon Inn. I was about 12, I think, when I started to really learn the idea of chat RP.

From there, I progressed from public rooms to private ones I made myself, and I even got more into the RP communities that were on AOL, even joined some guilds who had rolling/gear systems. Eventually, however, the people in that community grew more and more sparse. So I got into other stuff, like Diablo 2, then FFXI. I was there until sometime after Chains of Promathia came out, which was about when Vanilla WoW was pretty well establish.

I switched over there for a long time, especially when I realized Blizzard had set up official RP servers (something I think SE should've done a long time ago), and I realized the RP community was actually pretty huge! I stuck with WoW through Cataclysm, and a little bit into Mists of Panderia before I got into Tera Online. I was there for a little while until FFXIV: ARR launched, and I've been here since and never looked back.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Whale - 11-23-2017

(11-17-2017, 01:03 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 04:00 PM)Whale Wrote: Just got back and read all this and they were pretty interesting since i had to research all these acronyms.

YOU SHOULD TRY IT. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Maybe someday, when im good and readyTongue

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Menord - 11-23-2017

In a way, I feel like I became a roleplayer through sheer luck.

First - when I was around 14 or 15 years old - I got a pen pal who told me that she was a live-action roleplayer and invited me to a game she was organizing even though I hadn't even heard of live-action roleplaying before that. A few years later, I decided to give World of Warcraft a try (thanks to encouragement from my brother), met someone online who introduced me to roleplaying in MMOs and ended up in an actual roleplaying guild. That eventually lead to me dressing up as a Blood Elf and running into another WoW enthusiastic in a convention who then introduced me to tabletop roleplaying.

While I nowadays roleplay mostly in MMOs (or FFXIV, more precisely), I enjoy all three forms of RP I listed because all of them give me the chance to create and live through stories and see the world from a different point of view than my own. Escapism can be a wonderful thing in moderate doses.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - AkhutaiAngura - 11-24-2017

I.. Don't actually remember HOW I started, but I do remember where. 

Been RPing on various digital mediums since I was about 10, in the late 90's. I started off in AoL chatrooms (Red Dragon Inn, anyone?) where I explored various aspects of the online RP life, made a lot of friends, lost a lot of friends, so on. From there, I moved onto MUD/MUCK/MUSH's (Text based online games), where.. Basically the same thing happened. The difference here was the characters and settings - AoL chatrooms, your settings were different for each room. The Red Dragon Inn, a slave market, etc. Characters could be literally anything within those terms... But on the MUCKs, you had a more strict thing to keep in. I started off with World of Darkness mucks, making a Werewolf: The Apocalypse character. 

During that phase, I also moved into forum RP in the forum of GaiaOnline, though that didn't last long comparatively speaking. Next, moved on to WoW via a girlfriend. Once we broke up, transferred servers to an RP Server and that pretty much opened me up to MMO RP. I've been in games like Tabula Rasa, Guildwars 1/2, WoW, SWTOR, Aion, Tera, FFXIV (Obviously), ROSEOnline (..Mistakes were made, Korean MMO's are not the place), Neverwinter (Also not a good place, surprisingly)... And.. Yeah.

As to why? I do it to escape. When you RP, you can literally be anyone. RL, I'm a 5'11, 180lb, 29 year old male who has very few friends, next to no social life outside of his volunteer work and girlfriend, and not a lot of self confidence. But in game? Akhutai Angura, an Au'Ra who is pretty much the opposite of me. Very social, curious about life and things, very confident and strong. 

On a side note though, it is interesting to think of how my insecurities manifest in the RP world - In that Akhutai has a very tribal manner of speech, and doesn't speak 'common' very well at all.. A sort of manifestation of my own social ineptness. 

Anyways.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Ceoile Stendan - 12-08-2017

I can trace it back to my childhood: playing make-believe games, and telling stories, with my toys -- puppets, LEGOs, action figures, and more. 

I then discovered Tolkien when I was 11, and D&D a few years later.  From the very start, when I was playing tabletop RPGs, I was doing more than rolling dice and killing orcs.  I would come up with backstories for my characters, and loved to have conversations with the other players IC.

I've played tabletop RPGs for many years, and for me, that sort of roleplaying has always been a part of the game.  For me, my characters' backgrounds, relationships, and motivations are every bit as important as their in-game exploits.

I finally got drawn into MMOs a few years ago, by a good friend who'd become my RP partner in a D&D campaign.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Parvacake - 12-08-2017

I was playing Dark Age of Camelot when I was in 2nd grade. I started RPing there without realizing what RP really was, pretending to take other characters on tours of the land and standing on a rock to tell stories in the square.

Later, I discovered chatroom style RP in FF11 in their PlayOnline chatrooms. After that was more formalized forum RPs in MSN Groups (may they rest in peace) before graduating to MMOs in WoW my senior year of high school. Now MMOs are my preferred method of RP followed my mediums like Tumblr and Discord!

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Weiss - 12-09-2017

(11-17-2017, 12:28 AM)Mimi Wrote: I must've been 12 or so, and I came across good ol' Naruto roleplay on a forumotion site. Thinking about it, it was really bad, but as a young kid you don't really think about it.

That's mostly it. I've been stuck on role-playing since then. I've been on/off within the recent years, and I usually feel self-conscious about it because English isn't my first language. But, it's a good way to improve on your writing skills and learn to better yourself.

I usually like to brainstorm about lore, my character's lore, making complicated characters if able. I'm still kinda rusty Sad but I hope to get better.

For me it started around the same reason.. well, more or less the same. I started on forum based RolePlay which Theme I can't remember. It was all in English which made me struggle very much (I'm native Portuguese and my English skills back then were worse than now) and since my English would look "funny", I got bullied there and moved to one where I could write in Portuguese. That forum For me, it started around the same reason.. well, more or less the same. I started on forum based RolePlay which Theme I can't remember. It was all in English which made me struggle very much (I'm native Portuguese and my English skills back then were worse than now) and since my English would look "funny", I got bullied there and moved to one where I could write in Portuguese. That forum was a Naruto RP forum hosted on forumeiros, and it started really bad as my writing skills weren't good. I would write without descriptions and if I did they used to be short and didn't cover anything like surroundings nor the other player character. I would also add emotes to my character dialogues instead of describing them, sounding something like [Weiss: "This is a good coffee :3"]. Little by little my writing skills started to improve and before I was able to notice it, around 3 or 4 years had passed since I joined in.

It has been a while since the forum closed and one day, after beating heavenward, I got curious about trying RP on FFXIV and despite being quite different than a forum based RP It's something I don't regret at all doing.

I like to check Lore, both for my character concept as well as for the lore as a whole.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - ArmachiA - 12-09-2017

Way back in the Late-90s when I was in high school (I'm old) there was a thing called Vampire: The Masquerade that was pretty popular in the circle of high school where the goth kids hang out. I wasn't a goth kid (Yet, give me a year) but I was a Drama kid and a lot of the Goth kids were involved with the Drama club backstage. I became friends with them just by happenstance and they asked me if I wanted to try V:TM and explained what it was. I didn't get it at first, but they told me it was just playing a character you make up and the the character has stats. I was really into vampires back then so I agreed to give it a go.

I explained it to my parents later and my dad was super excited, saying he's been playing Dungeons & Dragons for YEARS and it sounded just like D&D and I'll think its fun and I'm just like him.

My friends had no idea how to DM a game on their own, so my first experience was a giant mess - but I really liked the idea of playing characters, dungeon crawls, and political intrigue. I had a lot of fun playing a Malkavian with a split personality - one which was weak and one which was basically OP (I was 16, gimme a pass) - and wanted to keep playing but my friends were used to older, more experienced people DMing so after that I picked up a copy of the book and started DMing for anyone in school who wanted to do it. I had one campaign that had 23 people, from popular kids to gothy kids in it (This wasn't because my school was so passed cliques, just that Drama club had a lot of different kinds of people in it and my sister was also very, very popular and played a Ventrue). That was my life till about 19 when everyone graduated and moved away, including myself.

Still it stayed with me, and I'd run various WoD games on the internet with my friends who also had the internet - which actually wasn't a lot of them in the early 2000's. When I was 22, I picked up FFXI as my first MMO and just kinda assumed everyone RPed in MMO's and even when I was corrected I just never stopped.

RE: What or how did rp come to you? - Xe'roseh Yuush - 12-09-2017

My mother introduced me to RP, because I have a really awesome mom.
I was about 8 years old, my brothers were 9 and 10, and my mom decided to hold a table top rp for us loosely based off of D&D, and I say loosely cus those we did make character sheets, we did not follow all the rules. I made a fairy character, I was a pretty sparkly fairy for my first rp that was to help defeat a dragon.

We didn't rp very often, my brothers got into Anime instead, and I of course followed suit. Not to mention we didn't have the attention span to sit down and get along long enough for full on campaigns.

I really didn't get into rp until high school. After high school I fell out of it until well after my collage years, when I started playing MMOs and discovered rp was in there.

Though I can truthfully say, that I have been rping since I was 8 years old.