Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 (/showthread.php?tid=20728)

Pages: 1 2

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Wemrys - 10-12-2017

Also about the Saltery bit...I realized something while pondering my first answer that helped me answer properly.

Show Content

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Gegenji - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 11:58 AM)Wemrys Wrote: Also about the Saltery bit...I realized something while pondering my first answer that helped me answer properly.

Show Content

Oh, it makes perfect sense - especially since he outs himself in the cutscene afterward - but the main place where I think you learn that bit of lore is during the CUL quest line (Around level 50, I believe?). At least, that's where I mainly remember that from - so you may not get that if you didn't level your cooking skills.

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Valence - 10-12-2017

I'm not totally sure what is so "timey whimey" with a bit more than one year since the beginning? Other than the 2 months to go to Othard? Let's say 4 since we had Scions in two to bring back there?

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Warren Castille - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 12:10 PM)Valence Wrote: I'm not totally sure what is so "timey whimey" with a bit more than one year since the beginning? Other than the 2 months to go to Othard? Let's say 4 since we had Scions in two to bring back there?

Just the politics alone would never settle in one year. Ul'dah had their Sultana nearly deposed with riots in the streets, Ishgard went from walls-up to walls-down to run-by-the-church to the-pope-is-dead-here's-aymeric to we-now-have-a-functional-alliance-between-houses. Raubahn goes from hero to political villain back to hero in a month. Estinien's reign as Nidhogg gets compressed to maybe that long. The Alliance goes from entering the Dragonsong War to having it done in a single season. Same for crushing the Empire's hold in Othard. It just feels too fast for any kind of believable working process or troop movement.

Also remember I'm a grognard and complain about muh immersion.

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Valence - 10-13-2017

Are we complaining on a lack of realism on a genre that is defined by its clear lack of realism, or by the shortcuts and oversimplifications that it is known to take at every turn? (aka, shonen)

We can swap realism with suspension of disbelief, works too.

I was wondering, because when I watch certain genres, I don't expect them to be spot on on details that would be mandatory in other genres. I'm not expecting political accuracy and realistic timeframes in what is basically, a fairy tale before anything.

Which doesn't prevent me from wishing they sticked to the 1.0 overall tone, but whatever.

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Maril - 10-13-2017

Show Content

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Saravahn - 10-13-2017

Elidibus

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Teadrinker - 10-13-2017

(10-13-2017, 07:32 PM)C Wrote: Elidibus

Show Content

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Warren Castille - 10-14-2017

(10-13-2017, 06:26 PM)Valence Wrote: Are we complaining on a lack of realism on a genre that is defined by its clear lack of realism, or by the shortcuts and oversimplifications that it is known to take at every turn? (aka, shonen)

We can swap realism with suspension of disbelief, works too.

I was wondering, because when I watch certain genres, I don't expect them to be spot on on details that would be mandatory in other genres. I'm not expecting political accuracy and realistic timeframes in what is basically, a fairy tale before anything.

Which doesn't prevent me from wishing they sticked to the 1.0 overall tone, but whatever.

If you wanted to reduce the argument to its basest parts, then yeah, I guess I am. My primary issue is that it's sloppy writing in the first place: Nanamo mentioning a specific year adds zero weight, gravity or tone to the setting. It could be argued that by having all of these things happen in such a short span of time it shows how much duress the WoL is under, constantly, but...

They don't make a show of that at all. We are the indefatigable unstoppable main character, so it doesn't really matter if the entire arc took place over a single crazy weekend or several years. The overall narrative, in my opinion, doesn't benefit at all from SE throwing that line into the main scenario. It's less of a lack of realism and more an abundance of questionable writing. All they had to do was say something along the lines of "We've had so much happen in such a short time..." and it conveys the exact same point without putting such a specific number to it. It also serves to contradict other sidequests and references to time passing by. I know SE doesn't carve out this world for roleplayers, but it seemed silly to me to have several years worth of game now and then have them draw attention to the fact the timey-wimey ball is in play.

I'm a curmudgeon about this stuff. It's not to say that a lot can't happen fast, but when you scale down 2.5 wars, a couple of revolutions and several large world changes, you lose the ability to pretend any of this shit matters. It'll all be cleared by next week anyway, so why worry about it now? Rome wasn't build in a day, so why should Mor Dhonanant's Toll be?

RE: CLEARLY MARKED STORY SPOILERS 4.1 - Faye - 10-14-2017

Show Content