Hydaelyn Role-Players
Letters - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Letters (/showthread.php?tid=20676)

Letters - TNSLowell - 10-01-2017

-A letter would be found, written in Eorzean common, on the streets of Kugane, neatly placed into an envelope that does not seem to be addressed to anyone in particular.-

Letter I:

To whomever this parchment may reach, this is the beginning I suppose of the ramblings of a fool whom walks upon unfamiliar lands. Truth be told, I am not sure why my hand even bothers to grab upon the quill that etches these words in ink. Who am I, you might ask? The answer to that question is irrelevant, if you have this letter clutched in your palms, all I ask is that you listen to my tale.

First of all, if it is not obvious from the words that I etch upon this paper. I am not from these lands, or rather this city, Kugane, as they call it. Why am I here? The answer is a simple one: because the world is distorted. Twisted. No matter where you go and where you travel, no matter the language, the culture...The distortion remains the same: oppression is everywhere. There those who rule and those who are ruled and abused. There are those that wound others simply for greed or the disgusting need to witness pain. There are those who discriminate those whom impose gross prejudices based upon the most trivial of reasons...There are those whom force the hands of innocents to shed blood, betray kin, and countless other atrocities. Why is it that there are those whom seek so insatiably to corrupt the world? To oppress the innocent that inhabit it? Why is it that the world lives with these prejudices, these hypocritical conflicts?

Yet they struggle. Despite the distortion, people continue to struggle. They continue to fight to live in this twisted world. What lets hope thrive in the hearts and minds of the people? What causes them to truly change the world? Ishgard had been irrevocably changed this past year. Once a wretched hive full of persecution, prejudice, blasphemy, and war now fighting to secure a long lasting peace. Of course it is not entirely perfect. My own observations in the Brume confirm it, but at the very least the people of Ishgard are recovering and continuing towards a new hope. I seek to understand this hope and I suppose, protect it from those that would distort it. I suppose that is why I am here in Kugane in these foreign lands. Though I may speak a different tongue, it is obvious enough that land is rife with strife and conflict, greed overcomes empathy and the victims are forced to fend for themselves in the sea of beasts.

And that brings me to my purpose, my goal. I aim to slay and destroy these distortions, these corruptions that threaten to oppress the innocent. That which plots to remove choice from others, I will break with blade in hand. I will fight and fight, even if it makes little difference in the end, for that is all I can do to contribute to this small spark of hope. I will fight..With blade by my side. With 'Warheit' by my side.

I will fight.

RE: Letters - TNSLowell - 10-02-2017

Letter II

-Another letter would be found, somewhat close to the first one,lying seemingly abandoned in the streets of Kugane without a recipient listed.-

To whomever this parchment may reach. Have you ever asked yourself, why do we do certain actions? Why we form certain attachments? Isuppose those are questions I should be asking myself given that I am writing these ridiculous letters with this very parchment likely being lost at sea or thrown away as trash. Only my mission, my purpose, my goal should matter yet here I am, once again having picked up my quill, writing as though a sentimental fool. It sickens me to some degree how foolish I am acting but I suppose even something as idiotic as this is necessary.

Who am I? Ultimately someone so insignificant. What am I? A blade in the end. What do I do? I tell myself I use my blade to protect the innocent, to slay those that would oppress them. But, isn't a murder, even without supposedly ill intent, still a murder? Once your hand is stained with the blood of another, it can never be cleaned, in fact, I would daresay it readily becomes a favoured solution. I had been less of a fool once. I had thought that the blade's true purpose was to protect, to be a shield at which the innocent could hide behind. But 'twas never that simple, one can only be a shield should they possess the strength to not break.

I had longed to become a shield since the days in which I barely reached a few fulms, I suppose I was inspired in a sense by my father. He was a Knight of some renown within the hypocrisy that is Ishgard. Always virtuous, polite, and a pillar of strength and confidence. I sought to attain even a fraction of the strength that he possessed, yet, I could not become the shield that he was and was instead cursed to become a mere blade, a simpleton that only knows how to strike and kill and not defend his fellows as he should. A loathsome existence. But alas, 'tis something that I deserve for I lacked the strength to remain sturdy. To remain standing at one's side until the very end. No. I've failed in that regard and so, I am fated to wander. To be a blade without a purpose. To be wielded by whomever I pledge myself to at the time before then drifting and moving to the next one to be helped. Wherever I am, that will not change, even in these foreign lands, a master-less blade such as I can only offer himself to be used, to fight for the sake of another and never my own.

Regardless. I must say, Kugane is a beautiful city indeed. A more vibrant architecture than Ul'dah or Ishgard that is for sure. Yet, there is a certain hollowness within these gilded lights. Perhaps you could see them too, perhaps not. Regardless, I have my own path to follow and I am sure you do as well. Even if I might see these distortions, you may not. It matters not in the end because I am a blade and so.

I can only fight.