Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? (/showthread.php?tid=20594)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? - Valence - 09-19-2017

(09-18-2017, 06:34 PM)Kilieit Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 05:53 PM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: First thing that comes to mind for me is "chirurgeon" which I pronounced "chee-roar-geon" only to learn it's nothing at all like that lmao. FF14's definitely introduced or reminded me of words that are rarely used in modern day english.

Hahaha I did a little crash course for my friend on French pronunciations of words (i.e. why Haurchefant is pronounced like "Ow-she-von" and not "Hor-che-vant"), and they eagerly said, "So it's pronounced like shy-rue-jhio', right?" No... no it's not. xD (It's kye-roo-jen.)

More exactly pronounced "Ore-che-fan", where ore is pronounced exactly like the mineral (but with a strong R, not an english one), che like in 'chevrolet' and fan just doesn't exist in english pronounciation, it's the contraction of A and N into a specific sound. Closest you would get is like in 'elephant' but the last T is silent.

Chirurgeon being itself an english word based on french roots, it definitely doesn't pronounce like its french equivalent though.

RE: Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? - Arashin Kujqai - 09-19-2017

Then things like Udgan and Kaghan being pronounced "Oot-oon" and "Kon". This game sometimes :p. I still pronounce Alphinaud as "Alphi-nod" even though I know that d should be silent according to everyone who's voiced him name.

RE: Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? - Yian Kutku - 09-20-2017

(09-19-2017, 06:36 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: Then things like Udgan and Kaghan being pronounced "Oot-oon" and "Kon". This game sometimes :p.

To be fair, it's based off Mongolian, so it goes on its own pronunciation guide.

Which admittedly doesn't mean much in light of English's tendency to confiscate all the vocabulary it can from other languages, with or without their "proper" pronunciations.

I'm still slightly puzzled by the correct way to pronounce "Yanxia", because depending on where you are in China, even the basic Mandarin pronunciation can be different. It's either "Yan-sia" (Southern China) or "Yan-sha" (Northern China), or, if you want to be stereotypical, "Yan-tsee-YAAAH" or "Yan-sharrrrr".

RE: Tools for fixing RP habits/improving? - Arashin Kujqai - 09-20-2017

(09-20-2017, 03:34 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 06:36 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: Then things like Udgan and Kaghan being pronounced "Oot-oon" and "Kon". This game sometimes :p.

To be fair, it's based off Mongolian, so it goes on its own pronunciation guide.

Which admittedly doesn't mean much in light of English's tendency to confiscate all the vocabulary it can from other languages, with or without their "proper" pronunciations.

I'm still slightly puzzled by the correct way to pronounce "Yanxia", because depending on where you are in China, even the basic Mandarin pronunciation can be different. It's either "Yan-sia" (Southern China) or "Yan-sha" (Northern China), or, if you want to be stereotypical, "Yan-tsee-YAAAH" or "Yan-sharrrrr".
And then there's the in between that's like "Yang-shwa" but very fast so it's disguised to sound like half of them. Been going with that so far and I think that's sort've how the NPC's say it.