Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Long term plot Vs Casual RP (/showthread.php?tid=20351)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - ExAtomos - 08-14-2017

If my characters are in the middle of a plot that puts them in X location, I either say that their appearance at X event is out of time (continuity) or the event isn't something that actually happened (I rarely do serious rp at the busier events anyways).

(08-13-2017, 02:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I've been playing a character who's ICly been trying to liberate Ala Mhigo since I started RPing the character in 2011. There's a lot of personal investment in the events of the current storyline for both myself and my main (and a few alts). But I'm with some groups who are content to begin RPing at the end of the current 4.0 story end as well as other groups who wish to play out some of the action. This in itself has forced some bubbles and awkward back and forths. But as I've invested so much in the story of Ala Mhigo, for my own enjoyment, I'm refusing to just... skip to the end of something my character has been fighting for for over 20 years ICly.

So I'm using bubbles. Lots of bubbles. I'm doing some events with my FC that occur before Baelsar's Wall fell, I'm doing some that occur during the 4.0 storyline, I'm hesitant to RP much after the end, as I'm not sure what effect the current plotline I'm running my character through right now will leave her. Does that limit me on some RP? Sure, but personally, my enjoyment hinges on doing this liberation storyline. If I want to RP after the fact, I have alts who are less invested in the happenings of the current story.

Not sure if it helps or not, but my character who is similarly tied up in the who liberation thing has been helping with post-liberation clean up and skirmishing since I imagine that when the real work begins (I believe they allude to that in quest text as well.) It is also vague enough (background-y) to mesh well with whatever they add in the next patch(es).

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Mermaid - 08-14-2017

I wanted to avoid Aetheryte travel but then I heard the other continent could only be reached by a two month boat trip. I just can't fathom a two month trip every single time. 3 round trips means your character should've aged a year. I still want there to be some penalty though. I personally plan on having my character get sick af whenever she Teleports that far. I'm talking headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, etc for a day or two. She'll hide in an inn room and look like a train wreck if anyone manages to find her there. So if she's jumping between continents she either has a good enough reason or she has a job lined up to cover the cost of both Aetheryte travel and being out of work for a day or two. Trips around Eorzea would still be chocobo and airship rides unless there's a reason for urgency.

Also, to echo other people here forum/skype/discord/pm/whatever RP can really help. As someone who experiences the struggle of getting several people to actually get together for several hours at a time scheduling. is. hard. If you're only managing to get together for a couple hours a day once a week it'll be about the same as getting out a couple posts a day. The previously mentioned options offer so much flexibility and often they're the only type of RP I can manage to do.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Arashin Kujqai - 08-14-2017

On the subject of time, I've been curious how people handle the time of day as far as RP goes. I usually don't bother with it or if it happens to be night, I'll just use RL time + the fact the game looks like it's in night time and say "it's getting late" or something to that degree. However when you're RP'ing, it easily gets to be 1-2 cycles through the whole session. I feel like I used to handle this np but now it's feeling odd, I know some people who just overall ignore it and just use RL time. What's everyone's take on all this or how do you personally handle it when regarding a session?

Say it's night time but your character technically just got up or something... do you ignore the time of day and say good morning or do you bring up it's awfully late to be awake at the game's particular hours?

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Gegenji - 08-14-2017

I figure time of day is just part of the scene setting. You can default to current time, but it's just as easy to just say "this RP situation is happening around x time." So, if you wanted an RP to take place in late evening, you just dictate it either OOCly or in the emotes that it is late evening, regardless of Eorzean or Real Time.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Silmanos - 08-14-2017

As far as the travel itself and going places mid plot I make sure my character always has the proper motivation and reasons to do any of it.  First and foremost is to always make sure you have built in gaps between things happening because scheduling six people can be a challenge. Ensure each time the plot is rp'd that there is a goal that can be accomplished within the confines of the time you have. This allows characters time to do other things and recover from wounds they may have received.  When it specifically comes to things like travel to Kugane? That is a bit different to be honest.

No matter what route you take to explain the trip it is still a very big deal to travel that distance and should never be treated lightly. Your character should have extensive reasons to be gone for the appropriate length of time. Even if younuse aetheryte travel to get back the decision to make the initial journey should be a significant one. I'd also caution about the use of time bubbles and out right hand waving the time if you have an assortment of people who you rpnwith but don't all rp together. If you do so youncan run into an issue where one person acknowledges your character has been gone for two months or more and another who thinks they just saw them last week. Granted most I've seen use the same tactic I do when their character's concept of reality is being shattered, and just assume the person speaking has lost it.

Personally my character is 100% tied to Eorzea and I will not be rping in Othard anytime soon. I refuse to break my character just to jump on the cool wagon. It's as simple as that. My character has no reason what so ever to go to Kugane and in addition has time sensitive things happening around him that using a time bubble or hand waving would break completely.  I also know quite a few people who are actually rping out the time frame for travel accurately. One person used their pre sb prep and sb release pve as a hiatus from rp to explain that she was on a boat heading to Kugane, spent about two weeks there and used the aetheryte to return. I also know a whole group that is using the time between SB release and Shirogane release to rp them going to Kugane to set up a hq there. So there are people who are rping it out.

As for the time of day, normally I use rl time as an indicator unless the scene calls for something different. The scene itself then sets the time of day regardless of the actual time anywhere. 

((Edited, sorry phone was doing some odd things...))

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - ExAtomos - 08-14-2017

(08-14-2017, 11:57 AM)Valic Wrote: On the subject of time, I've been curious how people handle the time of day as far as RP goes. I usually don't bother with it or if it happens to be night, I'll just use RL time + the fact the game looks like it's in night time and say "it's getting late" or something to that degree. However when you're RP'ing, it easily gets to be 1-2 cycles through the whole session. I feel like I used to handle this np but now it's feeling odd, I know some people who just overall ignore it and just use RL time. What's everyone's take on all this or how do you personally handle it when regarding a session?

Say it's night time but your character technically just got up or something... do you ignore the time of day and say good morning or do you bring up it's awfully late to be awake at the game's particular hours?

I use RL time and will only reference how late/early it is when the game's time of day (general evening, morning, etc.) matches up with what I see irl.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Kilieit - 08-14-2017

(08-14-2017, 03:12 PM)ExAtomos Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 11:57 AM)Valic Wrote: On the subject of time, I've been curious how people handle the time of day as far as RP goes. I usually don't bother with it or if it happens to be night, I'll just use RL time + the fact the game looks like it's in night time and say "it's getting late" or something to that degree. However when you're RP'ing, it easily gets to be 1-2 cycles through the whole session. I feel like I used to handle this np but now it's feeling odd, I know some people who just overall ignore it and just use RL time. What's everyone's take on all this or how do you personally handle it when regarding a session?

I use RL time and will only reference how late/early it is when the game's time of day (general evening, morning, etc.) matches up with what I see irl.

I never reference the time of day it is unless it's been explicitly stated (e.g. if the RP event says "this evening", it's set at the evening). Because... if I used the "my time IRL" rule, it'd immediately clash with 80% of the players I meet. <_<;

I must admit it disorientates me sometimes when another character is like, "good afternoon," but it's dark outside and my parents are in bed already. I never argue or anything, but it takes me a minute.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Gegenji - 08-14-2017

(08-14-2017, 03:27 PM)Kilieit Wrote:

I never reference the time of day it is unless it's been explicitly stated (e.g. if the RP event says "this evening", it's set at the evening). Because... if I used the "my time IRL" rule, it'd immediately clash with 80% of the players I meet. <_<;

I must admit it disorientates me sometimes when another character is like, "good afternoon," but it's dark outside and my parents are in bed already. I never argue or anything, but it takes me a minute.

There's a reason why I like to (somewhat jokingly) use the term "relative time greeting!" when interacting with folks that may be in vastly differing time zones than me. Laugh

... And, again, why I think it's usually a good idea to set the "time" of the RP scene along with the location if there's uncertainty. Or read into what time it's being assumed (if at all) during casual RP as mentioned here - if folks are eating dinner at the tavern, then you can probably assume an evening time in the scene, for example. Or you could always just ask, or help determine a time of day for the scene if needed.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Arashin Kujqai - 08-14-2017

(08-14-2017, 11:57 AM)Valic Wrote: *snip*

Honestly, this is what I typically do but I've run into so many situations where it just doesn't quite fit lol. It's difficult for be ominous and say "it's dangerous out at night in Ul'dah, let me walk you to the inn" and then it's early morning with birds tweeting about LOL.

(08-14-2017, 03:27 PM)Kilieit Wrote:

That's a gripe too, when times don't quite fit each other's stories or the time of day/night doesn't fit. Like you said, it's not a big deal but it's still one of those things that takes you a minute to notice lol. I've had people tell me good night when it's noon and still daylight in game, I just go with it and pretend the day just shifted over or something so I can still be awake to continue RP'ing.

(08-14-2017, 03:33 PM)Gegenji Wrote: There's a reason why I like to (somewhat jokingly) use the term "relative time greeting!" when interacting with folks that may be in vastly differing time zones than me. Laugh

... And, again, why I think it's usually a good idea to set the "time" of the RP scene along with the location if there's uncertainty. Or read into what time it's being assumed (if at all) during casual RP - if folks are eating dinner at the tavern, then you can probably assume an evening time in the scene, for example. Or you could always just ask, or help determine a time of day for the scene if needed.

For me it's one of those things I don't typically plan myself. Events usually have them set but if I'm doing casual walkup RP, I try to feel it out or just assume based on the day or the amount of time spent. I feel like it'd get awkward to always go in and ask OOCly "what time is it guys?" XD.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Erah'sae - 08-14-2017

On the passage of time, this is an odd one, and one of the very few things I actually miss about WoW.

I run in real time as I've said above.  I rarely bother with day/night sensitive dialog in game because of the discrepancy.  One Eorzean day is a little over 1 hour real time (70 minutes), so it's difficult to get any serious scene does within a 1:1 Eorzean to character time conversion.

I do tend to go by the most common TZ on the server which appears to be US Eastern Time for Balmung.  This does get odd since there are people I know of from 10 distinct time zones that play the game, probably more since I know groups getting event notices in GMT from multiple EU and further east TZ's.

Time's just relative.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Nero - 08-15-2017

This thread is tagged with [Discussion]; all posts should be relatively on-topic. Arguing about the merits of low fantasy and whether or not Final Fantasy is or isn't one isn't relevant to the discussion.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Arashin Kujqai - 08-15-2017

(08-14-2017, 05:14 PM)Erah Wrote: On the passage of time, this is an odd one, and one of the very few things I actually miss about WoW.

I run in real time as I've said above.  I rarely bother with day/night sensitive dialog in game because of the discrepancy.  One Eorzean day is a little over 1 hour real time (70 minutes), so it's difficult to get any serious scene does within a 1:1 Eorzean to character time conversion.

I do tend to go by the most common TZ on the server which appears to be US Eastern Time for Balmung.  This does get odd since there are people I know of from 10 distinct time zones that play the game, probably more since I know groups getting event notices in GMT from multiple EU and further east TZ's.

Time's just relative.
Just imaging RP being that fast.... actually just having a regular "good morning, how are you? oh wow I'm tired, geez it sure is getting late, g'night" conversation with how fast Eorzea's clock moves lol.

A thought just occurred to me that it could actually be beneficial for the day/night cycles shifting so quickly when traveling. Say going through the desert of thanalan or even the peaks.... could be relatively interesting to set up camp when it becomes night but walk in the day to portray it's been several days/nights for the whole trip.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Valence - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 01:20 AM)Nero Wrote: This thread is tagged with [Discussion]; all posts should be relatively on-topic. Arguing about the merits of low fantasy and whether or not Final Fantasy is or isn't one isn't relevant to the discussion.

But that's totally on topic. We can't seriously talk about time bubbles, the context of journeys and suspension of disbelief without bringing the tone of the story into the equation.

Also, the title is misleading and doesn't even have much to do with the actual OP, which is about how to handle time and journeys.

I don't even know why I spend time writing and contributing if I'm not even sure I'll still find my post the next day. Thanks for deleting everything I guess.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 05:11 AM)Valence Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 01:20 AM)Nero Wrote: This thread is tagged with [Discussion]; all posts should be relatively on-topic. Arguing about the merits of low fantasy and whether or not Final Fantasy is or isn't one isn't relevant to the discussion.

But that's totally on topic. We can't seriously talk about time bubbles, the context of journeys and suspension of disbelief without bringing the tone of the story into the equation.

Also, the title is misleading and doesn't even have much to do with the actual OP, which is about how to handle time and journeys.

I don't even know why I spend time writing and contributing if I'm not even sure I'll still find my post the next day. Thanks for deleting everything I guess.

This, ah... seems like something you may want to discuss privately with Nero. Generally, calling out or publicly arguing against a moderator is considered bad form at most community forum websites, regardless of who's right or wrong in the matter.

RE: Long term plot Vs Casual RP - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-15-2017

Have your character bring up time once it becomes relevant to the conversation, usually when all other topics have been dealt with. RP winding down and it's evening ingame? "It's getting late, I'm off to bed." If it's morning daylight ingame? "Good seeing you. I'm going to head out for a bit to catch up with work!"

You can use ingame settings to display all three clocks simultaneously: your local OOC RL time, OOC RL server time, and Eorzea ingame/IC time.