Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History (/showthread.php?tid=20350)

Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Wolfsblood - 08-13-2017

Need some help piecing together my Dark Knight's background / history. Her name is Rona Wolfsblood; a traveling Highlander who tries to deliver justice and erase evil in everywhere she goes. Here's a brief summary of her background. Basically, I need help deciding what this creature that she's hunting down is (want it to be powerful and sentient, perhaps a demon of sorts but nothing as important as Ifrit, obviously, something that can be unique to her character story). I also need help figuring out how Soul Crystals work and if this is a practical thing that could happen.

Here goes!

Rona's parents were killed when her village was destroyed by some wondering monster / creature / demon when she was a girl. A Dark Knight who had been tracking the monster down to put an end to it came across her in the ruins and took her in. They came across a second ruined village with yet another survivng child, and took him in as well. Now responsible for two children, the Dark Knight stopped wandering and brought them back to Ishgard to raise and tran them in the ways of the Dark Knight as brother and sister. When they were in their late teens, the brother got frustrated that the creature that killed his parents and destroyed his village was still alive, accusing the Dark Knight of being a coward since he hadn't yet gone to face it. A black mage eventually came to Ishgard and promised the brother that he could help him defeat the monster, as he was after the same thing. The brother started to fall out of the ways of the Dark Knight's teachings for a couple of years as he trained with the Black Mage in secret, and when Rona came home one day from her training, she found her home was destroyed and her adopted father was nearly dead, and learned that the brother had killed him in an attempt to steal his crystal so he could have the power to defeat the monster himself. He managed to steal half of his soul crystal, but held on to the second half to give to Rona in his dying moments, though her father asked Rona not to hate the brother and to forgive him and find him to try and bring him back in to the light again. So Rona's current mission in life is to find him, make the crystal whole again, stop his evil ways, and defeat the monster once and for all.

And that's what I've got so far. Thoughts?

RE: Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Gegenji - 08-13-2017

Given the location (Ishgard), the big bad in question could very easily be a Dravarian considering the whole Dragonsong War effort. They're big, powerful, tend to require a lot of effort to bring down, so having people hunting it and/or requiring help to do so would certainly make sense. And even with the whole resolution of the War at the end of Heavensward, it's still stated that those of Nidhogg's brood are still out there causing problems. This could be one of them!

Alternately, a powerful Voidsent is always a good fallback for power monster. Either summoned, snuck its way across the Void somehow, or a previously bound one that has been released from its servitude/prison. While not part of Black Magic itself, summoning Voidsent was a big part of Mhachi proceedings in bigger and bigger bids for power... so that could tie the Black Mage into things.

RE: Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Sounsyy - 08-13-2017

(08-13-2017, 08:23 AM)Wolfsblood Wrote: Need some help piecing together my Dark Knight's background / history. Basically, I need help deciding what this creature that she's hunting down is (want it to be powerful and sentient, perhaps a demon of sorts but nothing as important as Ifrit, obviously, something that can be unique to her character story). I also need help figuring out how Soul Crystals work and if this is a practical thing that could happen.

I'm in agreement with Gegenji that an ancient Dravanian or Voidsent demon would be most likely given the region and backstory. Most Black Mages become corrupted by the magnitude of the power they possess, and leave them wanting more, which turns to the supernatural - the void. Creating a demon for the purposes of the story and making up a name and tier would work just fine (the lower the number tier, the more powerful the voidsent). Ishgard has disastrous history dealing with both the dragons and voidsent, consorting (or believed to be consorting) with either marks you as a heretic, but the latter being punishable by death almost invariably. In fact, Witchdrop, the crevice Ishgardians sometimes elect to trial suspected heretics is believed to be infested with voidsent at the bottom.

There are of course other options! Numerous other notorious monsters roam Coerthas. You could include any of these in your backstory or even just use these as inspiration for a notorious monster of your own creation. In any case I dropped links to pertinent lore on a list of canon notorious monsters, voidsent lore, and information about soul crystals and the two jobs involved in the backstory. Hope this all helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

- Notorious Monsters of Eorzea
- Voidsent Lore
- Soul Crystal Lore
- Dark Knight Lore
- Black Mage Lore and the Gem of Shatotto

RE: Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-13-2017

A more accurate translation of the 45-50 drk jobquests can be found here: http://haillenarte.tumblr.com/post/162480622640/dark-knight-quests-part-ii

You'll also want to complete your 50-70 jobquests, which deal with

Show Content

Natsuko Ishikawa basically rewrote Fight Club in XIV and ended up with the best plotline. She also did the Azim Steppe, no surprise there

RE: Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Wolfsblood - 08-13-2017

Thank you all for the replies! I like the idea of a dragon, because dragons are cool. What about splitting a soul crystal in half? Does it even work that way?

RE: Need Help With My Dark Knight's Background / History - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-13-2017

A soul crystal getting split in half is exactly what happens in your 60-70 job quests

Can't give away more than that without going into spoiler territory again