Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ala Mhigan Player? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Ala Mhigan Player? (/showthread.php?tid=20190)

Ala Mhigan Player? - wsaedmd - 07-24-2017

Hello everyone! I have two questions: I'm considering either a Highlander/Hellsguard Paladin, or a Highlander Monk. Question 1: Am I right in assuming these choices make sense lore wise? 
Question 2, more importantly: I'd like my Highlander, especially if monk, to be Ala Mhigan. Do the npcs in the game ever interact with a Highlander player in a way that either confirms or denies that they're from Ala Mhigo?
Example: Do you ever hear an npc saying "Ah, a fellow Ala Mhigan", or "We only trust Ala Mhigans around here, piss off"?
How is an highlander player regarded upon reaching Little Ala Mhigo, for example?

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - Gegenji - 07-24-2017

Highlanders and Hellsguard are pretty common in Ul'dah, so there isn't any real reason why one couldn't be part of the Sultansworn or trained in their arts to become a Free Paladin.

And the Monk questline involves talking with a Highlander scholar and assisting a Highlander Monk, so I'm pretty sure you're safe there too. In fact, considering Ala Mhigo has a high(lander) population of them, it's probably the race of choice. Not that you couldn't probably finagle being a different race if you wanted.

As for the second question, the Warrior of Light is almost always considered to be an outsider/foreigner of some sort. Even playing a Xaela Au Ra out in the Xaelan lands, you apparently don't get treated as kin. I would think Highlanders would (unfortunately) be treated the same.

I think it mostly comes from the fact that you really don't get an option to pick your character's nationality - just their starting city, which they migrate to at the start of the MSQ anyway. If they allowed that to be set and tracked it, there could likely be a lot more "personalized"-feeling dialogue with NPCs.

(... like the smiths of Kugane talking to my Doman about how to make a katana.)

... Also, I did run through the MSQ up to the end of ARR on a Highlander in prep for HW (he became an Au Ra), and I don't recall anyone saying anything unique in Little Ala Mhigo or even amongst the refugees outside Ul'dah. Then again, I was also kind of rushing my way through so I skipped through a lot of dialogue and cutscenes in my quest to prep the guy for the expansion.

NPC interactions, however, really don't matter all that much in the end for RP, though. If your character is Ala Mhigan, the folks you RP with definitely will react to it when identified! Especially if their characters have opinions about the nation, which many do - especially considering the events of Stormblood right now.

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - Virella - 07-24-2017

Both jobs and character race combinations make very much sense, so don't worry about that. As far as Monks go? We haven't seen an au ra represented as Ala Mhigans, but all the other races are fair game as far as we know! You don't have to be a highlander to be a Monk though. Roe is completely fine as well.

Yes, the Little Ala Mhigo NPCs are very pissed off with you, at the start of the MSQ. They really don't like 'outsiders'. They ease up over time though. But even if you finished the SB MSQ, some are still very pissy with you, whereas other's are not.

Honestly, my vague guess that next patch(es) will go in who is and isn't a 'true' Ala Mhigan in the eyes in the groups of certain Ala Mhigans, and internal conflict happening due to that. Roleplayers however do heavily touch upon these topics, of that I can assure you. (Heck, Ave yesterday had a facepalm moment when she had to explain a younger Ala Mhigan why she hated nobles, and started to rant about 'ffs youngsters don't know our history')

I haven't played through the SB MSQ as a non-highlander yet, but I haven't notice them being nicer to my character? When I get around doing it on my Roe, I will let you know though.

The Temple of the Fist NPCs involve do have a bit different dialogue though, if your character is a Monk. Or so I think? But that is about it. During the MSQ, if you play it as a Monk, no one seems to bat an eye at you as far as I could tell. But that might be to blame that it's too hard for SE to give every class a completely different storyline while going through the MSQ (not to mention swapping jobs ect would make it a pain for them). If I recall something, I will let you know though.

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - wsaedmd - 07-24-2017

Thank you a lot for the answers, guys! They were really exhaustive!
I'm still debating internally between a Hellsguard Gladiator or a Highlander Monk. I had a follow up question, do you guys know of any Rpers on Louisoix? I'm playing there with my girlfriend, and I'd really like to RP in the future, but I don't want to move!

P.S. A Highlander Monk would obviously be affiliated with Rhalgr, what about Hellsguards? Do we know if they care about any of the Twelve?

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - Virella - 07-24-2017

Monk as we see the job in game, are all based on the Fist of Rhalgr ^^! We've seen Miqo'te as Monk as well during the questlines.

I'd suggest checking Sounsyy's lore compilation to help you out.

Also I'm on Balmung, so I got no clue about any other servers!

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - wsaedmd - 07-24-2017

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
And yeah, I didn't mean a Hellsguard Monk, just a Hellsguard in general! Them as a people, would they worship a particular deity?

RE: Ala Mhigan Player? - Sounsyy - 07-25-2017

(07-24-2017, 12:24 PM)wsaedmd Wrote: And yeah, I didn't mean a Hellsguard Monk, just a Hellsguard in general! Them as a people, would they worship a particular deity?

Hellsguard in general are often devout followers of the Twelve. Though which of the Twelve (if not all of them) each individual Hellsguard worships may depend upon the region, or many other personal reasons. For instance, if your Hellsguard lived in Ala Mhigo more than 25 years ago, he would've been raised to revere Rhalgr. However, if he was in Ala Mhigo during King Theodoric's reign just before Ala Mhigo's fall, he might worship Nymeia instead. There's even Swaenhylt, a Hellsguard who fervently worships Azeyma.

Vavaki Wrote:Here in Ul'dah, they can oft be seen working as mercenaries and sellswords, or armorers and blacksmiths for those with no taste for violence. I suppose the forges remind them of home... The greatest hindrance in studying the Hellsguard is that they have no patience for Phrontistery members. They regard the alchemical trade as dark and sacrilegious sorcery that spurns the Twelve.

Fernehalwes Wrote:There are, for the most part, however, no strict religious codes that must be followed. Some Eorzeans will choose to worship a deity connected to their profession (for example, weavers often follow Nymeia the Spinner). Some follow the deity associated with their nameday. There are even some Eorzeans who choose not to follow the teachings of the Twelve, but they are few and far between...and often will not admit it.

Swaenhylt Wrote:Praise be to Azeyma, great Warden in the sky, beacon of righteousness! By her light, our paths are lit. By her providence, our way is known!
I am her humble servant, Swaenhylt. For nigh on twenty years have I lived in the seclusion of Abalatia's Spine. I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide. And yet I am taken with sadness as I gaze upon Eorzea's children. Far too few live with fear of Azeyma's judgment in their hearts.

Hope that helps! For more info I dropped some relevant links below:

-Race Lore (Roegadyn)
-Ala Mhigo Lore: History and Culture
-Ala Mhigo Lore: People of Ala Mhigo